Through The Fire - 2

Free Falling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi! H.I! Here for an update, I decided to keep writing this medical AU. I didn't think it would get this much excitement from the readers. Thx!

Ideas keep pouring in since I'm a medical physician and I wanted to explore a different Karina

Enjoy! 

 

Flashback to six years ago, Karina Yoo was a surgical resident in her hospital, working around the clock in the Operation Room (OR), Emergency Room (ER), and the surgical ward. Winter Kim was the hotshot firefighter who freshly graduated from the academy and got accepted to work in Station 11 of the Seoul Fired Department (SFD).

 

The day of resident Karina usually starts off early as four or five o’clock depending on the number of patients fell on her hands. Examining pre-op and post-op patients, vital signs, complications, and other things she needs to monitor; including body fluids, urine, or drain. Well, that’s the ideal and usual, but not today…

 

*alarm clock going off, it shows 6.30 am* 
Karina slammed her hand on the alarm clock beside her bed, turning it off. With tousled hair and half-closed eyes, she got up and saw the clock.
“Oh , I’m late! Why the hell it’s already 6.30, -”

 

Her eyes sprung open, literally ran to the bathroom to take a quick shower, not minding her oily and smelly hair, brushed her teeth, put her hospital clothes on, and drove like a madwoman.

 

“Fck, how many patients do I have this morning, hell I can’t remember…” She cruised the freeway like the hidden racer she is, all the way to Seoul Central Hospital, luckily it is located just fifteen minutes away from her condo.

 

On the drive, she got a call from her friend,
Yow, where the hell are you?
You overslept, did you? 
I told you don’t have too much beer.
Where are you?! 

Gi, seriously I have a huge headache and you screaming at me is not helping
Yes, I just woke up and I’m already on my way
Do me a favor, look how many patients I got, please?

Fine, hold on…
You have eleven patients, three in VIP and the rest in the ward
What time did you get home anyway?

Eleven? I remember I only have a few, the chief will have my head
Mm, if I remember correctly at two in the morning, it’s all cloudy up here
Anyway, is my best friend in the whole world already finished with her patients?

TWO in the MORNING?
I went home at midnight, and you continue to party without me?
You are cruel.
And I know what you are asking,
The answer is no

I’m sorry okay, I’m sorry, I couldn’t help myself
Who would turn down free booze?
Now be a doll and help me with my post-ops puhleasee

Post-ops? Six of them? And you only will work on five pre-ops?
You are kidding me
No freakin’ way

Come onnn, I will buy you food or drink, anything!

Jellies and vodka every weekend,
All I can drink. That’s my final offer

Deal, whatever…
We have that case presentation at 7.15 so we got to be fast

We? *sigh*
Can’t believe you remember that lecture
but clearly don’t remember to wake up

Yes we, I got your back and you got mine
Okay I’m parking my car, will go straight to my pre-ops
And of course I remember the presentation, 
the presenter is dr. Taeyeon Kim and she’s hot

You have got to kidding me
Okay, see you in the lecture hall

 

***

At seven o’clock sharp this morning, the auditorium is in full occupancy, mainly surgeons, residents, and interns all come together for a lecture which is held every Monday at 7.15 am sharp with rotating surgical attendings presenting a topic he/ she chose. This morning, a senior general surgeon, dr. Taeyeon Kim will be presenting a special case she has been working on for almost a year. She specializes in developing microsurgery, a surgery for tiny cells to minimize the risk of cancer cell growth. Today she will explain her achievement in one of her patients.

 

Although the presentation is in another fifteen minutes, the seats are all booked. Karina and Giselle are still finishing Karina’s follow-up, but Ning kindly kept two seats for them. Closing to 7.10, the woman of the hour with her long straight silvered hair came to prepare her PowerPoint presentation, but the two couldn’t be seen.
Just as the clock strikes 7.15, Karina and Giselle can be seen rushing down the stairs to get to Ning in the middle row. They have notes on one hand and black coffee on the other. Karina straightened her black hair while Giselle still loves her wavy locks. 

“Good morning all, thank you for your time, I am dr. Kim and let’s start.”

 

“Just in time, girls… Another minute dr.Kim will knock your off for being late.” Ning whispered to the two beside her.
“It was Rina’s fault… I was done by six in the morning, and she just had to be late.” Giselle was always the punctual one in the group; she planned everything right and stick by them.
“Sorry, sorry, the party was a lot of fun, okay-”

 

“You three, middle row, do you want to trade places with me here on stage and continue my lecture? If you find my lecture boring you people, you can just walk out.” dr.Kim stood on the edge of the stage towering over them.

“No, not at all, we are very sorry, doctor.” Ning apologizes on behalf of them, the whole hospital knew dr.Kim is strict.

 

“Let’s proceed.” dr. Kim continues the fascinating story of her patient. “We dissected a millimeter of the tumor in size, we cannot risk taking a bigger chunk, for a tumor this aggressive, just a millimeter can enhance its neovascularity and continue growing bigger. As you can see in this photo, the tiny cancerous cell we took. As I expected, a millimeter cancerous cell grew to a 1.2 centimeter in one week, the rapid growth gave us a chance to dissect it into many pieces to find a way to kill all of them in a short amount of time. And I did.”

 

“Crap, I’m being page to the ER. I’m on triage this week.” Karina can feel her pager going off and so are other residents who is on triage duty this week.

“Residents on duty, y’all can go. I can hear many pagers sounding and it’s annoying me, so go. Other attendings if you are being paged, just go or silent your pagers. Thank you.”

At her remark, Karina and several other residents went speed walking out the auditorium.

 

***


Incoming trauma, Multiple Vehicle Collision (MVC) of two cars on the freeway, three adults and one child, head trauma, fractures, ETA ten minutes.

“Suit up ladies and gents we got incoming…” 

 

The first aid car arrives.
“I got male 37 years old with a right femoral open fracture, GCS 9, BP 140/90 pulse thready distally to the fracture. We gave a large-bore IV on the scene and packed the open wound. He has a kid riding with us, a 7-year-old girl with only a face lac on her forehead, she’s responsive but still in shock and probably traumatic.”

“Karina, you’re up. Take the dad to room 1 and get an intern to take care of the kid.” The trauma attending gave his orders.

 

Karina rushed in pushing the gurney and the patient’s kid follow her.

“Intern, this kid needs a primary survey and see if she needs a suture.” Karina said to an intern whose working alongside her. “Hey kid, what’s your name?” She kneeled down to get to her eye level and the kid answered her shyly.

“Hi Yoon, my name is Karina and I will be your dad’s doctor. This is my intern Jun, he will take care of you while I take care of your dad, do you understand?” Karina saw the girl nodded.

“Report to me back once you’re done with the primary survey.” She told the intern then she faced the little girl, “You follow Jun, okay? I will get back to you. You’re saved now.”

 


Karina entered room 1, her team already pushed in another

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter