Wheein

Sun, Moon and Trouble
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Wheein frowns as she checks her smart watch to see that she’ll be late to her morning lecture. She hates being late but no one hates being late more than her professor or any other citizen in this country for an appointment. 

 

She continues fast-walking, almost leaping with each step she takes. She finally arrives at the hall where the lecture is taking place. Some students at the back turned to look at her and continued minding their own business. The lecture hasn’t seemed to start. As she takes a seat at the back she notices the murmuring at the control table , something about the projector not connecting properly. She sighs. This is just the beginning of another long day. 


When the lecture ends Wheein ventures to the front of the lecture hall to find her professor packing up. She approaches her almost stealthily that when she was almost a few inches away, their bodies almost collided.

 

“Oww…will you look where you’re going, please.” An irritated professor faces the one who bumped on her— grinning Wheein, that is. Her demeanor suddenly changes from pissed off to glad, but only for a second as she fixes her composure again. 

 

“Wheein, it’s you. I couldn’t quite make out if you were here earlier. I thought you’d skip on me again.” The professor, ten years older than Wheein, looks like she’s trying hard not to smile.

“I wouldn’t miss your lectures for the world, ma’am.” Wheein smiles at the professor. She doesn’t need to pretend as much as the older woman.

“Have I not told you a lot of times to just call me by my name? Drop the formalities, you’re making my blood boil. But since you’re already here, let’s grab lunch before you head to your next class.” The older woman invites the younger one.

“Tempting, Prof…Irene, but I have to meet someone after this. I just wanted to tap your shoulder, say hi and go.” Wheein grins but the professor’s expression turns sour. 

“Meeting someone? Hmm, okay. I’m not going to pry. Have a nice day then.” With that, Irene takes a stride to leave. Wheein takes a step behind. She tries to keep up with the older woman.

“It’s nothing of the sort your jealousy is telling you.” Wheein smirks when Irene halts. She suddenly turns to the younger woman.

“What is it then?”

“So you really are jealous. Well, to start, I’m moving out of the dorms and into a shared apartment with three other people including my best friend. She’s arriving soon for her internship at that furniture company. I’ll be meeting my future roommate to talk about the place now and see how it is there but my mind is pretty much made up. And don’t say again that I should just live with you, that’s out of any equation.”

 

Irene seems to be thinking about what Wheein just shared but before she could reply, someone approaches them. They quickly put more distance between them and act like they’re only being teacher-student, not whatever vibes they were emitting earlier.

 

“So, that’s the only question I have for now. Thank you for your time, professor. I’ll turn in that written report you asked for tomorrow. Have a great day, then. Bye.” Wheein hurries away from Irene and the student that just approached, to the professor’s disappointment.


Wheein now regrets ever being the restless, reckless and competitive person that she is. She remembers setting her eyes on Irene and just thought, “I bet I can take her to bed tonight.” 

 

It wasn’t that night but she took her alright…or she’s the one who was taken. It was a night to remember, but now it’s getting a bit complicated as the other woman has gotten more demanding albeit toned down. Wheein thought it’d be fun and fine to fool around with an older woman, even if it’s her professor. As always, she’s wrong but she refused to be. That’s why she’s still stuck with her. 


She has her priorities—ever easily changing—but still priorities that need her immediate attention. And for now it’s to meet up with the barista called Sol at the cafe she works at and head to the apartment she’ll move into soon. 


She’s seen pictures of the place, all clean and homey. It’s not Wheein's priority as she’s not the cleanest person around to judge. All she thinks about is how everything will turn out once all of them have moved in there. She’s gotten quite bored lately, anyway, so this will be a good change for her. She also already told her best friend Hyejin about it and of course she got a squint and a bit of resistance from the other woman. Hyejin knows what’s up even if she doesn’t know what’s up. 

 

What that means is that Hyejin knows that Wheein is up to something but doesn’t know what that something is. She’ll have to keep an eye on her for sure. As always.

 

Wheein arrives at the cafe and spots Sol sitting by the cake display. She approaches the table and takes a seat. She’s observing the other woman reading something on her phone, not even noticing that someone just sat in front of her. Some words are slipping from from what she’s reading and Wheein goes wide-eyed as she hears the words and now some phrases. By the sound of it, Sol is not just learning Korean now, she is Korean. 


“You’re Korean too?” Wheein suddenly blurts out not intending to surprise Sol but it’s too late. The long-haired blonde thought she’d have a heart attack. She let out a sudden scream that got the attention of, well, everyone who heard. By everyone who heard that means everyone who can hear.


Wheein regrets what she did as she now thinks her ears may be damaged. Oh well. It’s her fault anyway. She has to take note to not ever surprise Sol or next time she won’t be able to save her ears.


One of Sol’s coworkers checks from the other side of the cakes display on them. 


“You okay there, Sol? Need a tea refill? How about a cake?” A young blonde, blue-eyed part timer asks. He seems way too eager to help Sol.

“Nahh, it’s okay, Jakob, thank you. My friend here just arrived and I didn’t see her and was surprised.” Yongsun explains. The boy then resumes his job.

The long-haired blonde faces Wheein and sighs. 

“Sorry, must be the age keeping up with me.” At this, Sol laughs and Wheein feels like even if she decided on impulse to offer the other woman to be roommates, that she’s the one who should be thankful.

“No,no, it was totally my fault. I shouldn’t have suddenly blurted out anything and surprised you like that. But now I have more questions and most of them aren’t about the apartment.”


Wheein smiles at Yongsun and she notices the other woman blushing a bit. 

No, I don’t want you to blush now. Save that for our other future roommate.

She finds it cute, though. When Sol smiles, her two dimples take the spotlight on her face. It makes one want to smile too.

That’s why Byulyi-unnie ended up crushing on her. Unnie has taste, a great taste, really.


Wheein shakes the thoughts away as it’s straying her away from what she’s here for. 

 

“Oh, right..Um, yeah. I’m Korean too.” Sol grins. “Sorry, I didn’t have a chance to tell you on our call, or the time before that. It’s not that I’m hiding it, no. I guess I just assumed that it’s obvious.” 

Sol finishes up and clears waiting for Wheein to reply. The short-haired blonde is still trying to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter