01.

Sickly sweet | Oh Sehun/Kai

 

 

A loud cry of a baby sounds through the silent palace, waking up people who were asleep. Before cries decrease, another cry is added to it.

 

“Ahhh-”

 

A groan escaped from the figure that was laying on the King size bed without any comforter covering him on a cold night. He sits down on the bed groaning tiredly, rubbing his sleepy eyes before standing and moving toward the nursery beside his room.

 

“Mama, prince Geayeong is having a fever.” Said one of the crown prince's nannies.

 

“What?” sleepiness gets away from His highness Kai’s body soon as he heard the words, and quickly moves to the crib and picks up his eldest son.

 

As he touches the skin of his son, he feels like holding something on fire. His baby is burning up with a fever. Kai hugs his baby to his chest, trying to take the temperature from his son. As Kai’s cold skin touches the baby, his cries decrease a little and the baby moves to his mother’s touch, gaining little soothing.

 

“Call the doctors,” Kai said to one of the servants. And turns to the other crib where his youngest still crying. His nanny is trying to calm down baby.

 

“Is he also has a fever?” Kai asks, still cradling his oldest son to his chest.

 

“No, mama. He had woken up from prince Geayeong’s crying. Prince Jiyeong is fine.” she replied bowing.

 

“Take him to my room. If not, he will also get a fever. And call secretary Byun” Kai said to her. Hearing that, prince Jiyeong took away from the nursery by his nanny.

 

 

 

 

 

“Mama.” The royal doctor and nurse enter the nursery after Nanny.

 

“He is having a fever. I can’t think of a way how he got a fever. Because I was them with all day and we didn’t go out today.” Kai replied, moving to sit at his armchair beside the cribs, holding his sick son. After he sits down, he moves his son’s burning body from his chest, to give better access to the doctor to check him. But soon as the child felt his mother’s body is away from him, he starts to cry.

 

“Shhh, baby. Omma is here.” Kai tries to calm down his baby patting his bum, while the royal doctor does check him.

 

“How is he?” Kai asks after the doctor sits back on the chair, and starts to write down something on his notepad.

 

“Mama, he is having a fever because of a cold. I will send a nurse to bring medicines. Prince Geayeong will be okay in a few hours after taking medicine.” The royal doctor replied and gave the note to the nurse, to bring medicines.

 

“Mama, where is the prince Jiyeong? I think it’s better to check him too. They are twins, so there are possibilities that both of them get sick at the same time.” Doctor added.

 

“He is in my room,” Kai said before standing with his son and walking to his room.

 

Kai stops a few steps away from his bed where his youngest is sleeping. His secretary and childhood friend Baekhyun is sitting beside him, patting the child's bum while murmuring a lullaby. He looks at them and steps aside to give space to the doctor.

 

“Mama, how is prince Geayeong?” Baekhyun asks walking to Kai.

 

“He is burning. My poor baby.” Kai replied as he gazes whimpering kid in his cradle.

 

“Should I make his milk bottle?” Baekhyun asks.

 

“I don’t think he will drink that today,” Kai replied, looking at the doctor when he saw him standing after checking up on his youngest son.

 

“Mama, I am afraid prince Jiyeong is also going to have a fever. It looks like he is holding up a little. Prince Jiyeong’s throat is also swelling. I will give medicine to him too.” The royal doctor said making Kai sigh.

 

Baekhyun looks at the queen and moves to Prince Jiyeong’s sleeping figure before saying “Mama, I will help to take care of princes.”

 

“Doctor, how about their meals? How do I get them to eat medicine?” Kai asks.

 

“Mama, one medicine can mix with the milk. But another one has to give them directly. But don’t worry it has a sweet flavor, so they won’t spit it out.” Doctor replies.

 

A nurse brought the medicines and Kai’s servant brought two milk bottles. Then the doctor mix the medicine into the milk and gave it to Kai and Baekhyun to feed the princes.

 

They only manage to feed the youngest prince who sips his bottle in asleep. But oldest on refusing to take a sip from the bottle, like knowing what it has.

 

“Baby, please drink this one. You won’t get well if you don’t take your medicines.” His Highness Kai tries to feed his son.

 

As he fights to feed his baby, the door of open, and Chamberlin Kim enters, her face filled with worries. When he sees Prince Geayeong refusing to drink and crying he rushes to Kai and takes the crying prince from the queen.

 

“Mama, if he has swelled throat, I don’t think he will drink this, we should think another way,” he said to Kai.

 

“What I should do?” Kai asks the old man.

 

Junmyeon looks at the servants and nurse asking them to leave. After they left and only Kai, Baekhyun, the royal doctor and he remain in the room.

 

“Mama, you can still feed right?” Chamberlin Kim Junmyeon asks. And said male nodded.

 

“Mama, I think prince Geayeong will drink after his throat gets soothing. And feeding is the best way for it. We can change into the bottle after a while.” Chamberlin Kim Junmyeon explains.

 

“Oh,” Kai replied as he moves his hand to his chest.

 

 

~

 

“Oh my god, are my babies okay? How did that happen? Is Kai okay?” Sehun questioned his secretary as soon as he was informed about the prince’s health.

 

“Pyeha, His highness and the princes’ are fine. Only princes’ are caught with fever. And Secretary Byun and Chamberlin Kim Junmyeon are with the Queen. They have informed me that His highness asked you not to return without finishing your meeting here. And that’s why we didn’t inform you about the matter Pyeha. I am sorry.” Secretary Kim replied with a bow.

 

“But-“Sehun sighs, knowing well his husband did it because Kai doesn’t like to disturb him, even during the hard times.

 

“Let’s move quickly. I want to get to the palace soon as we can.” King said to Captain Park, who signals to his team to drive fast ahead of them.

 

 

 

 

Sehun moves hurriedly toward Queen’s chamber at the west wing. As he enters Kai’s room Secretary Byun ran toward him, almost bumping into the king.

 

“Pyeha, I am sorry. I didn’t see that you are coming.” Baekhyun bows.

 

“It’s okay. Where are Kai and princes?” Sehun looks at the empty bed and room.

 

“Pyeha, mama has moved to your room with princes. They were crying a lot, and after moving to your room, they calmed down a bit and fell asleep.”

 

“Oh, then why are you here?” Sehun asks as he already turns to his room, while Secretary Byun keeps up with him.

 

“I came here to get princes toys, Pyeha,” he replied gesturing to the two plushy toys in his hands. Gon nods opening the door to his room.

 

There, on their king-size bed, two small sleeping figures laying and his husband is sitting on the chair placed beside the bed he is resting his head on the bed while his hands are holding the two princes’ tiny hands. Sehun stops and turns to Baekhyun.

 

“Give me those. They fell asleep. I will be here so don’t worry. I will call you if there is anything.” Sehun said,

 

“Yes, Pyeha.” he bows handing two plushy toys to King.

 

“Baekhyun, have Kai eaten anything?” King asks.

 

“No, Pyeha. He was busy with princes. I asked him to eat something. But he refused to eat.” Baekhyun replied.

 

“Okay, tell them to cook something light for Kai. I will call you.” Sehun said before entering the room.

 

 

 

~

 

Sehun carefully removes his husband’s hand from the babies. Then he carefully picks a younger male and placed him on the bed beside his sons. Sehun can feel how tried his husband is, as he whimpers in sleep. King looks at his husband’s cloth, those were what he was wearing the last day before he left the meeting. So his husband didn’t have any time to take care of himself.

 

Sehun looks at three sleeping figures and quickly runs to the bathroom and took a towel and water basin and returns. After moving his husband a bit far from his sons, so he can clean him without awaking kids, the king removes Kai’s shirt and gaps as he looks at his chest.

 

Kai’s chest is swelled and there are a few handprints around his s, making younger’s tan skin bruises. He understood what happened as he sees Kai’s s. His husband did feed to kids.

 

Kai had started to lactate while he was in his last trimester. But being male makes him hard to feed. Because there isn’t much milk produced compared to females. And having twins make it harder because Kai can’t feed both of them to their fill. So they had to add a bottle of milk in middle. But now his kid is 9 months along. And Kai stops feeding. But seeing how Kai tries to feed their sick babies with difficulty, King’s heart arch for younger at the same time his love grows.

 

Sehun placed the wet cloth on Kai’s chest. And Kai hissed before stringing up.

 

“Hyung?” Kai mutters. His voice filled with tiredness.

 

“Yes, it’s me, baby. Let me help you to clean up and change. You can get rest after this. Don’t worry about the kids. I will be here, my love.” Sehun mutters softly before placing a kiss on his husband’s lips.

 

“I am okay Hyung. You should take a rest. I will get change myself later.” Kai replied trying to sit up. But he was pushed back again by his husband.

 

“No. I am not tried, love. You should get rest first before they wake up.” Sehun replied cleaning Kai’s body with a wet towel. And help him to change into pajama pants and a shirt.

 

“Now sleep, baby. I will wake up you if they wake up.” Gon said covering his body with a comforter. Kai smiles tiredly before he drips back to sleep.

 

“My poor husband. I love you, baby. You work so hard” Sehun mutters and placed a kiss on the younger’s temple before moving to his sleeping kids.

 

He checks their temperature and write down it on the note pad which Kai was keeping records.