You owe me

Trip Down Memory Lane
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy’s parents weren’t born wealthy. In fact, before their marriage, they both decided to not have kids until they have a proper house and minimal debt which was hard for a doctor and an engineer. Yes, Mama Son and Papa Son are both professionals but that does not translate to earning a lot. Especially when the mention of the family name “Son” is taboo. But still, they persevered, worked part-time jobs just to save enough for a small house. In that same year, they were blessed with a healthy baby girl named Seunghee. Much like her mom, she was a beauty. Papa Son was sure that she’d turn heads when she grows up. They didn’t do much to take care of her because it was so easy, everything was telegraphed. When she cries, they give her food. If it doesn’t work, they check the diapers. If not, they rock her to sleep. It was simple. So much so that they were confident that if they have another child at that moment, they already know what to do. Well, when Seunghee was three years old and her mom gave birth to a healthy baby girl, her parents pretty much ate their words.

 

“Honey! Seungwan’s crying again!” Papa Son shouted, panic painted on his face as he tries to lull Seungwan to sleep.

 

It was a tough morning in the Son household. While Papa Son was having trouble taking care of Seungwan, Mama Son was getting ready for her rounds.

 

“Did you try giving her the bottle?” said Mama Son.

 

Silence was the response she got, concerning her until she saw her husband walking out the room, empty bottle in hand, and polo creased everywhere.

 

“Crisis averted,” said Papa Son. “Where’s Seunghee?”

 

“Sleeping in the other room. Are you sure you can handle both of them while I’m away?” asked Mama Son as she moved closer to her husband. She fixed his collar and gave him a kiss. “You know I could bring Seungwan with me.”

 

“Don’t worry, I’m sure. Plus, Seunghee will help me take care of her baby sister. A few hours won’t hurt,” assured Papa Son.

 

It was the same routine for the Sons. Papa Son would come back from work early in the morning to take the shift of taking care of the kids while Mama Son prepares to go to work. Luckily, Papa Son works under a supervisor who understands the struggles of starting a family. That’s the reason why he got transferred to a team that will fit his schedule. In the evening, he checks factories and have them consult him about any troubles while in the morning, he takes online consultations as a part-time job while her wife is away doing rounds at the hospital just outside the city. Yes, it was a hectic schedule but to them, everything was worth it as long as they can take care of their family.

 

However, everything changed when both Seungwan and Seunghee started going to school.

 

While it’s true that the sisters often get called in the office, only one prompted the office to call their parents. 1st-grade Seunghee was different from 1st-grade Seungwan. The older sister always helped her peers with their activities, always played with them, and always stayed behind to help clean the room. Although Seungwan did the same thing, she did it in her own playful way.

 

“Why did they call you again, papa?” asked Wendy, confused as to why she was again picked up earlier than the other students. Usually, the kids were left to play outside for a couple of minutes before leaving. Yet, here she is again at the front seat of their car just like last week, wondering why.

 

Papa Son lets out a sigh then smiled at Seungwan. He does not know how to say it to her. He wasn’t good with it. Unlike her mother, Papa Son only knows how to stop her kids from crying by giving them what they want.

 

“I’ll let mama tell you why okay, kiddo?” he said.

 

As soon as they arrive home, Seungwan bolted out of the car and ran inside.

 

“Mama, we’re home!” she shouted as she plopped herself on the sofa.

 

Seungwan heard shuffling inside the kitchen before she was greeted by her mother.

 

“You came home early,” her mom said. “Something happened again?”

 

Seungwan thought for a second before responding. Like a confused puppy, she sat up and looked at her mother.

 

“I was playing with my friends when I saw papa outside the gate talking to Ms. Officelady again,” she said. “Am I in trouble again, mama?”

 

Her mother smiled at the adorable sight in front of her. Seungwan, with her legs crossed and head down, wore an ashamed face, pouting at the thought of being reprimanded again for playing a little bit rough with her other classmates.

 

Mama Son went near Seungwan and lifted her chin up.

 

“Can you help me in the kitchen for a bit? I bet you’ll be good with it,” said Mama Son.

 

Seungwan let out a sigh but gave her mother a smile before grabbing her hand and walking with her towards the kitchen, just in time for her father to finish parking the car.

 

“Oh good. Honey, can you get my gift for Seungwan?”

 

Seungwan’s ears perked up, her once gloomy mood was now washed away at the mention of the word “gift.” She was asked to sit on the chair but her excitement could not be contained; her little legs swinging back and forth as she wonders what the gift could be.

 

“Do you remember the time you told me that your classmate did not have food to eat?” asked Mama Son as she approached her husband to get the gift. Seungwan nodded, her eyes focused on the piece of cloth her mother is trying so hard to hide.

 

“Yes. I gave her a piece of my bread and now we’re friends,” she said, her head constantly moving from side to side to get a glimpse of what her gift could be. “Mama and papa taught unnie and me to give to those who have none so I gave her some of my food.”

 

Her parents looked at each other, their eyes beaming with pride, not only because of how they raised their daughters, but how their daughters remember what they taught them. As parents, all they could give them were guidance. No money in the world could buy kindness and they were blessed to have such kind children.

 

“Well, this gift will help you give more food to others.”

 

Her mother unraveled the blue cloth; an apron decorated with flowers and, at the bottom, a patch that spelled her name. Seungwan was ecstatic. She jumped with glee, grabbing the apron away from her mother and wearing it herself.

 

“Mama, quick! Tie the back, please!” Seungwan was so excited, all her parents could do was admire her enthusiasm.

 

As soon as her mother was done tying the apron and folding the excess cloth, Seungwan turned around and hugged her parents.

 

“Thank you! I love it so much. Look,” she said as she swayed her hips back and forth, her huge apron dancing with her.

 

“Okay kiddo, take it easy. Sit down for a bit,” her mother said. “We’re going to make lots of sugar cookies. Can you help me with it?”

 

Seungwan nodded so hard, her head could fall off.

 

And made a lot they did, ranging from different shapes and sizes. As for the kitchen, well. That’s a different story. Their black marbled countertop looked like a galaxy; the different colored sprinkles scattered all over like planets in the Milky Way.

 

“Look, mama. I made a star,” Seungwan said as she lifted the star-shaped cookie dough on her hand. “I also made these.”

 

She pointed at her tray. There lay the cookie cutouts of crescent moons, butterflies, and hearts. Her mom smiled at her, amused at the entertained kid beside her. After cutting out more star-shaped cookies, she put them on the tray then let her mother put them inside the oven to bake. As soon as her mother turned around, she saw her little daughter, head down on the counter, eyes closed. One thing’s for sure, Seungwan was smiling as she went to dreamland.

 

 

Seungwan woke up to some commotion outside her room. Wiping the drowsiness off her eyes, she went out the door and saw her parents talking over the countertop. When they heard the door open, they both looked at Seungwan.

 

“Honey,” her mother said. “Do you want to eat dinner?”

 

Seungwan shook her head, her eyes half-open as she grabbed her parents’ hands. She dragged them both inside her room and asked them to sleep beside her.

 

Once she was nestled in the middle, she closed her eyes and asked them for a bedtime story. Her parents looked at each other, wondering what story they should tell her.

 

Both of them know what genre Seungwan wants. While her older sister looked like her mother, Seungwan looked like her father. Relatives would about it but it doesn’t bother her. She sees her father as the figure whom she wants to be when she grows up. Well, that might have translated to how she acted as well. Because everything her father did, she copied. The gentlemanly ways of her father made Seungwan wonder. So she asked him why he keeps on doing it. Her father simply replied that he does it because of his love for her mother.

 

But it got her thinking again; why does her father do it to strangers as well if it was only because of love? Does that mean he loves all the strangers? Seungwan might have caused her parents to have an argument because of this because Seungwan said her father loved someone other than her mother.

 

She asked her father again about it. This time, her father sat her down properly. She needed to sit her 5-year-old daughter down to talk about being a gentleman. That was absurd to him but he did it anyway.

 

Remembering that conversation made Papa Son remember a story about how an engaged-to-be-married princess fell for a samurai whom she met in her garden. So he started telling the story, how the princess doesn’t want to get married and that she doesn’t need a man to lead her nation. Then she met the samurai. That immediately caught Seugnwan’s attention. Midway through the story, she had to interrupt.

 

“Did the samurai come back, papa?” she asked, now sitting upright while wrapped around her mother’s arms.

 

Her father giggled, making himself comfortable as she faced her curious daughter.

 

“The samurai did come back. However, he was caught and was imprisoned which made the princess very mad since the samurai didn’t do anything wrong,” he said.

 

Her father continued on, telling the story of how the samurai slew thousands in order to protect the princess but in the end, he fell. His efforts were not for naught because he found what he was looking for ever since he became a ronin.

 

“Respect. That was what he was looking for and he found it when he last laid her eyes on the princess.”

 

Wendy was confused. For a story like this, the typical ending would be about finding love once you save the princess. It would always end with a happy ending.

 

“Papa, they loved each other, right?” Wendy asked. “Wasn’t that what the samurai was looking for?”

 

Her father looked at her wife then back towards her daughter, a smile drawn across his face. He went and patted Seungwan’s head.

 

“It is easy to love someone but hard to respect someone. You can love a person but not respect them. But if you respect someone, you love them enough to trust them,” her father said.

 

“Trust them with what?”

 

Her parents laughed and Seungwan looked at them funny.

 

“You’ll understand when you get older, honey. Now it’s time to sleep. You still have school tomorrow,” her mother said, kissing Seungwan before tucking her to sleep.

 

After saying good night to her parents, Seungwan closed her eyes, the story fresh in her brain as she slept with a smile on her face. She loved the story so much that the following day at school, she played samurai with her friends. Since it was the last day of school before summer break, the teachers allowed them to play for longer. During that playing time, Seungwan distributed her “see you after summer” cookie gifts to her teachers and classmates. It was a fun-filled day for her.

 

“Seulgi-ah, stop eating the cookies and play with me,” Wendy said as she tried to pull her friend back to the sandbox. The latter was not pleased because she wants to finish her food.

 

“Then

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter