Final

How can you mend a broken heart?

A/N: Saw Hyomin's IG stories and posts and decided at 1AM that I'll write one last MinYeon piece. Took me 2 hours XD
 

The strory ends where I intended it to, but what's after is for your own imagination and interpretation. I have mine. 

=========
 

Hyomin stares at herself in the mirror, adjust neat dress, putting every strand of hair into the right place. 

 

She had been spending the past hour dolling herself up, making sure she’s perfect. 

 

Dressed to kill.

 

Dressed to seduce. 

 

The girl had tried to look confident, a y smile as she stare at her own reflection. 

 

But the eyes, they didn’t lie. And the smile was quickly replaced by a frown. She was no where near as confident as she’d like to be. Behind the eyes, was a scared lady, clinging onto whatever hope and chances left. 

 

She had given her all for years and just maybe, tonight, everything would be decided. 

 

After so long, everyone must have gotten jaded. She too has gotten exhausted. Hyomin thinks she has one last fight in her. 

 

Hyomin walks to her bed and takes a seat, she could stand for hours when it comes to cooking or modelling for a shoot. But right now, standing was too tiring. 

 

The phone next to her rings, the buzzing a little annoying, Hyomin took a glance at the caller but decided not to answer it. Here she was, reminded of tonight’s dinner at Jiyeon’s. 

 

Dinner at the new apartment of Jiyeon, and her fiancé. 

 

The thought of it made Hyomin’s shoulder drop and she sort of hate her current outfit. It just wasn’t good enough. She tells herself it isn’t a competition, but it is. 

 

======

 

Hyomin sniggers as she reviews the pictures she had taken of herself. 

 

They did turn out really well. Many of the items were from sponsors with no condition for do any sort of promotion whatsoever - however since they are doing such a good job at highlighting her curves, Hyomin thinks it’s fine to drop all the brands when she posts them into her Instagram. 

 

“Are you going to be alright?”

 

Hyomin looks up. 

 

It was her manager unnie, the slightly older unnie had been kind enough to pick her up at moments notice and drive her to Jiyeon’s. 

 

“What?”, Hyomin questions. 

 

“Are you going to be okay? Going to Jiyeonie’s for dinner.”

 

“W-why won’t I be?” 

 

“Because her fiancé is there??”

 

Hyomin kept mum. That’s right. Her fiancé’s there. It wasn’t like Hyomin had her thing or a past with the dude. 

 

Yes, she’s out for the kill to night, but the victim in question wasn’t the man. It was the little girl who is no longer that innocent child whom needed someone to care for many years ago. 

 

It was Park Jiyeon. 

 

But anyway, speaking of her new Fiancé, Hyomin begins to wonder how the night would play out and if she’s really gonna be okay.

 

To think of it, Hyomin recalls meeting Jiyeon and her fiancé one or twice? Hyomin couldn’t exactly recall the number of times because it wasn’t something she’d particularly like remembering. But Hyomin was sure, those interactions would either had other members tagging along or if there wasn’t - those interactions were brief, at least brief enough for Hyomin to not develop any discomfort. 

 

“I’ll be alright,” Hyomin replies, a little too nonchalantly for someone who had been real apprehensive about the situation in it’s entirety for the past few months. 

 

“I hope…”, and Hyomin whispers as she stares out the Windows, looking at the other cars passing by, the words almost like a prayer. 

 

======

 

Hyomin didn’t think think everything would nice so quickly. It had been somewhat foolish for her to think that she had forever when it comes to Park Jiyeon. 

 

They had made those stupid promises when they were younger. 

 

“If we both aren’t engaged to anyone by 30, let’s get married.”

 

And now? Just a few months before Jiyeon had hit 30, the girl announced to the members she’s dating someone with good feelings. 

 

Feelings good enough that they had plans to actually settle down for real, for good. 

 

Everything was moving way too fast for Park Hyomin. The girl was way past 30 and she had been holding out to the younger girl, waiting for her to catch up, but somewhere, sometime, along the way, the same road they planned to walked on had diverged. 

 

Different dreams, different experiences, different wants, different paths. 

 

It had been so quick, Hyomin hasn’t seen it coming and so Hyomin wasn’t prepared. 

 

Not prepared to deal with the thoughts that ran wild for weeks, the feelings that was nothing but aching pain for months - Hyomin thinks the aching would never stop. 

 

Hyomin only remembers how she went crazy when Jiyeon broke the news. 

 

It always starts with anger.

 

Hyomin recalls deleting away pictures, videos, those memories they shared. From those on social media like that Instagram live that she had saved, to those in her private albums, to even those loose ones exchanged in private chats that hasn’t been saved anywhere. 

 

And then she did something no sane idol should do unless the company pushes for it - Park Hyomin got herself entangled in a dating ‘scandal’. Maybe it was to make the younger girl jealous, may she just didn’t want to appear like the fool that she was, pining over childish promises made many moons ago. 

 

But in the end, it achieved nothing, sure people congratulated, Jiyeon did too. It hadn’t made Hyomin feel less lonely or happier. If anything, when she was approached by a cheerful Jiyeon whom asked to meet this “man whom swept her pretty unnie by the feet” - Hyomin made a decisive call to put an end to this relationship she had with a man whom she had only met once for an official overseas schedule before running off to Busan to spend time alone. 

 

The time she had alone to think proved to help a little. In the small hut near the sea, she had time to plan out what to do. 

 

Which brings Hyomin to this exact moment. 

 

 

======

 

Hyomin finds herself in the elevator, heading straight up to Jiyeon and company’s humble abode. 

 

She could feel cold sweat on her nape, her back, in her palms - everywhere. 

 

When she reaches the right floor - every step towards Jiyeon’s unit was heavy and dragged. 

 

Hyomin dreaded when it comes to fin ly having to press on the door bell. But when the door flung open and there it was, an excited and cheerful Park Jiyeon whom greeted her a little tok enthusiastically - Hyomin felt every tension in her muscle washed away like footsteps on wet sand, erased by waves that reaches shore. 

 

“Sunyoung-unnie~”, Jiyeon called out sweetly, the name had always rolled of the younger girl’s tongue easily. 

 

“You’re late!”

 

“Jiyeon-ah”, Hyomin calls out, “I’m sorry!”.

 

An apology and made up excuses followed immediately. 

 

Hyomin knows it’s not going to be an easy night, and that this won’t be the only apology she would be giving. 

 

======

 

Hyomin thought it would be easy like the last few times she met up with Jiyeon and her fiancé, but she was wrong - just like a few other things she had thought a lot about but got them all wrong. 

 

She wasn’t sure if it was her or the dude - but things were anything but awkward after their handshake and when Jiyeon’s fiancé called Hyomin by her birth name. 

 

It was just, sort of too soon? Like the announce that a few months back, things were moving way to quickly for Hyomin’s liking. 

 

Hyomin had caught Jiyeon’s reaction as well, she knows that the younger girl shared her sentiments. Afterall, Jiyeon had always understood her well. 

 

Or so Hyomin thought. Thoughts again, maybe she’s wrong about this too? Hyomin doesn’t deny that ever since Jiyeon decided to drop the dating bomb, things between the two of them hasn’t been the same. If anything, the air around was just like that time when Jiyeon got entangled with the movie co-star. 

 

Like the movies that was never released, Hyomin thinks that entire time when her relationship was rocky as hell should be forgotten. 

 

But speaking of that previous situation, the difference between then and now was that, back then, they’d talk it out but right now, nobody’s saying anything for months!

 

Maybe they were young back then - not shy if skinship, public display of affection, confrontation of feelings between members. 

 

One would think that with age and maturity, one would get bolder - but if the present was enough prove, it only showed that as they grew older, they got more reserved, with fewer words spoken, thinking they could handle everything alone, keeping it all inside. 

 

======

 

To make things easier for everyone, Jiyeon had done a wonderful job by bringing out the appetisers and pre-dinner drinks. 

 

Hyomin sips on the wine as she watches the the man prepares the main course. Truth be told, Hyomin had her focus more on Park Jiyeon who had been doing well by assisting on the side occasionally. 

 

They really do look like a couple who had lived together for years. Partners carrying one another in the kitchen. 

 

Hyomin could feel the ache in her heart, although it was always there for months, it was just a bit more unbearable at this very moment. The older girl downed her glass of wine, helped herself by pouring another glass and finished it in a flash. 

 

Wine had always been sweet, fruity, somewhat tangy?

 

But it was only now that Hyomin realised there’s some sourness from the grapes too, especially when right now, that hint of sourness was right in her face. 

 

It was not to her liking at all, but it was easier to finish it, than drag it out any longer.

 

The wine, that is so sour, and so so bitter.

 

======

 

Hyomin decided left for the bag she had left on the sofa and came back to the island, hands full of the gifts she had prepared. 

 

Dinnerware sets for the new couple in their new home where new memories between two lovers will be made.

 

Soon, it will be memories of a family. There would be children, the dad, the mom, the pets. 

 

Hyomin forced herself to not bite on her lips as she question her choices. 

 

What was she thinking, trying to seduce an engaged Park Jiyeon while congratulating the couple at the same time?

 

Hyomin had never thought she’d see herself stoop so lowly but this was a now kind of low. Unprecedented.

 

Hyomin watches quietly, a forced smile plastered across her face as the couple expressed  their sincerest thanks and proceed to store the gift away. 

 

In the kitchen filled with warmth from the flame, lively noise from cooking. Not forgetting Jiyeon’s adorable Dino laughter at her fiancé’s antics and dad jokes. 

 

Hyomin felt cold and lonely. 

 

She had always been comfortable with Jiyeon around, even in an unfamiliar situation or a new environment.

 

But for the first time, Hyomin feels like she’s the stranger, it was a foreign feeling that she had never felt before. And it scares her to the bones. 

 

It meant things won’t be the same anymore.

 

Hyomin could feel her thoughts starting to run wild again, her feelings be it love, hate, fear, anger all getting confused and in her mess. 

 

It was fight or flight, and Hyomin decides to run.

 

The older girl is surprised and how fast she could think on the spot sometimes - faking an incoming phone call, Hyomin pulled up her mobile phone to her ears and spoke into it. 

 

All serious and concerned. 

 

“Oh, yes, yes, I’ll be there right away, I’m still at Jiyeon’s house, yes, pick me up from the same place, yes, I’ll come down right now!”

 

Hyomin stares loudly as she eyes Jiyeon and her fiancé closely, watching for their reaction, watching to see if they could see through her lies, her desperate attempts to leave the place immediately.

 

When Jiyeon looks back with the same worry Hyomin had gotten too used to and the man quietly continues with his steak in the hot pan - Hyomin brings an end to her act. 

 

“Okay, see you later, bye.”

 

“What’s wrong?”, Jiyeon spokes softly but Hyomin could tell the girl was really worried. 

 

“I’m just needed urgently, we seem to have missed out on an event that was scheduled for tonight.”, Hyomin replies immediately. 

 

“Ohh..”, there was a hint of disappointment in the younger girl’s voice. 

 

“Just give me a minute! I’ll pack something for you to bite in the car!”

 

Jiyeon had rushed off immediately to search for Tupperware but stopped abruptly. 

 

“That’s not necessary. Manager unnie is reaching.”

 

Jiyeon turned towards her unnie looking like she was about to protest but decided not to. 

 

“Don’t worry Jiyeon-ah.. I’m thankful for this invite, both of you.”, Hyomin continues as she left her seat and went for her back. 

 

“I’m so sorry for ruining this evening, it’s really unfortunate.”

 

Jiyeon had walked up to help Hyomin out with her bag and heels. 

 

“Don’t worry, drop by again next time!”, the man had out his cooking to a pause and joined Jiyeon and Hyomin in the hallway. 

 

“Yup, there’s always next time unnie”

 

“I’m so sorry, really.” Hyomin replies, but paying no attention to the offers made. Hyomin didn’t think she could drop by again, at least not if she had a choice. 

 

Looking at Jiyeon and her fiancé standing together in the hall way, the man’s arms wrapping Jiyeon’s waist, the two standing so closely in the small space. They do look like a couple, owners of this very big apartment. They look like they own this marriage thing, got it right in all the ways possible. 

 

Hyomin forces a sheepish smile and bows before leaving. When she turns a corner along the corridor and the two of eyes no longer on her leaving back, she calls for her manger unnie to pick her up for real this time, then she runs, as fast as her feet could take her. 

 

The corridor felt like it had stretched longer than it originally was. 

 

======

 

The tears had fell freely when Hyomin entered the elevator to ride back down. 

 

A huge contrast from before. 

 

The somewhat confident Hyomin who was riding up earlier was nowhere to be seen. 

 

Underneath the make up, dress up, styled hair, curves in all the right places, Park Hyomin. 

 

Underneath all that was Park Sunyoung. 

 

Just a girl who had discovered her uality all those years ago. 

 

The girl who was afraid and kept it a secret. 

 

A girl who had a crushed on this younger sister she wish to take care of forever. 

 

A girl who kept her feelings hidden.

 

A girl who hoped a little more. 

 

A girl who feels like the luckiest woman in the world sometimes while also feeling unlucky occasionally. 

 

A girl who been through ups and down. 

 

A girl who got jealous sometimes. 

 

The girl whom made a promise. 

 

The girl whom spent her youth loving unconditionally. 

 

The girl who dreamt a pipe dream, the girl who thought too much, the girl whom now had to face a reality where everything was wrong, her own wishful thinking all along. 

 

Just another girl wondering how to mend her broken heart. 

 

======

 

When Hyomin’s manager arrived, she was greeted by a sight that pains her. 

 

She had watched Hyomin grow up all these years, following her from one company to another, watching her train, watching her sing and dance. Watched her success as well as her failure in the darkest period. 

 

She just didn’t think she would have to go through another period with Park Hyomin again. Even if this time round, it hurts Park Sunyoung more. 

 

Hyomin was seated in the bench, tears staining her entire face and ruining her make up. 

 

“I was wrong, it isn’t alright… Take me away unnie, please take me away.”, Hyomin plead. 

 

“On the day they get married, please, take me away too. I don’t think I can-“

 

Hyomin body was weak and before collapsing, she forces herself to cry out her firm wishes. 

 

How can you mend a broken heart?

 

With time. 

 

With space and sufficient time. 

 

Eventually, that will mend a broken heart. 

 

And so, no matter how much Hyomin wishes for Jiyeon’s happiness, the side of Hyomin that still loves and hurt all the same couldn’t bring herself to Jiyeon’s wedding. 

 

When that day eventually comes, as promised, Hyomin was already far away overseas for a month-long scheduled, away from the news the celebration, the pain.

 

Hyomin simply wrote a letter because a call or even a video - the cracked voice, haggard look and longing voice would give it all away. 

 

It would have given away that Park Hyomin / Park Sunyoung was with a broken heart. 

 

She who’s trying to mend her broken heart. 

 

She who wish to someday live again. 

 

 

 

 

 

Fin. 

 

 

 

 

‘Her phone was flipped.’

 

‘What?’

 

‘It was flipped the other side - the back of the phone against her ears..’