Chapter One

sad heart grows like stars

 

Soyeon had been living in her neighborhood for almost two years, but she still wasn’t used to the stars.

 

When she first move into her own house to attend college, many things had been precisely as she had predicted. Soyeon expected that she would be loaded by coursework, by the nature of her program, and she is. She expected all the college cliches, parties, roommates and such— which she managed to steer clear of because luckily her parents are comfortable enough to provide her own house near her school. With that, Soyeon as much as possible tried to avoid situations that required a lot of human interaction. But then, every night without fail she found herself, at some point, looking up to the sky just to stare at the stars.

 

When, much later, Soyeon explained to Yuqi that that was the reason why she was in her friend’s backyard instead of the party at one in the morning the day they first officially met— that she was getting some fresh air, planning to watch the stars that were visible from the sky and maybe find some inspiration as she stares at them— the information was well-received. Yuqi was extremely enthusiastic about the idea that they had met because of the stars and that she was looking for inspiration. The reality though was far less romantic.

 

Firstly, Soyeon had never been looking to meet Yuqi at all. She had never considered herself lonely because she had spent most of her childhood alone in her room playing around with music. From a young age, she had told herself that she would spend the vast majority of her life alone. So Soyeon never actively sought company, and she certainly never did it by watching a woman stumbling in front of her.

 

The second reason their official meeting was not very romantic was that Yuqi had been drunk.

 

That night, she had decided to go out after finding out that she had no more of her comfort food back at her house and the nearest place she could get it was in Minnie’s house next door. The area was filled with people as it always was when her friend threw parties. People danced around with drinks in their hands slogging them down as though it was a lifeline, the music was playing so loud that she could practically see the sound waves. 

 

Soyeon hunched her shoulders and pushed past the people who paid her no attention, though some checked her on the shoulder as she went through the crowd. She tried to make herself as small as possible as her professor’s words kept replaying in the back of her mind like a tape.

 

She groaned to herself as she made her way into the kitchen, ignoring those intertwined people who had decided that doing it in public is such a good idea. Soyeon arrived at the room, her dark short hair falling into her eyes when she looked down to check if someone spilled a drink in her yellow sweatshirt, jean shorts and her white sneakers. After that, she scanned the room and suddenly felt out of place. She heaved out a loud sigh, tired and weary as she remembered the words her mentor said. 

 

Do something out of your comfort zone!

 

Soyeon always impressed her professors ever since she started college. And she was certainly sure that she could pull this one off. 

 

But the only problem was that she was stuck.

 

Scratch that. The topic was romantic love, something Soyeon hasn't felt yet and she was not in a hurry to change that.

 

And also the thing was, Soyeon doesn't believe in love or soul mates or any of that romantic stuff she sees in films and even animations. Where someone meets someone in an impossibly coincidental way and they lock eyes and true everlasting love ensues. She had read and watched pieces about it, but Soyeon thought it was ridiculous. Honestly, she did date before but it was so long ago that she barely remembers it.

 

She sighed again and skittered around two people who were ing against the kitchen table to reach the freezer and sure enough, several tubs of ice cream were nestled among the expensive bottles of alcoholic drinks and ice cube trays. Soyeon pulled the chocolate flavored ice cream tub from under a bag of frozen meat and grabbed the cleanest spoon she could find. She clumsily positioned herself at one of the stools on the kitchen island. 

 

“Is that yours?” 

 

A girl had taken a seat opposite her, and Soyeon hadn’t noticed her watching her. She had messy long brown hair with curly bangs like she had a habit of ruffling her hand through it. She looked so round and soft on her face. It is cute. The deep voice drew her attention to her lips, curling into a smile.

 

“Minnie owes me.”

 

Soyeon spoke far too quietly for the noise of the kitchen and raised one of her eyebrows at her. She leaned in over the counter to hear Soyeon better and she could smell the girl’s perfume. She leaned forward too.

 

“Oh, does she?” 

 

The girl seemed unconvinced, and maybe a little amused. Her nose scrunched up in a particular way that Soyeon found attractive. The girl was adorable, even if she tried to convince herself to think that she was a little annoying.

 

“What’s it to you?”

 

Soyeon watched her expression as she replied.

 

“I am just trying to be a good friend. Foreigners need to stick together.”

 

She registered the way she spoke then. Soyeon didn’t notice it at first but she knew the girl wasn’t from around here. That was all her language knowledge depleted. 

 

“Oh, you’re doing a terrific job. You’ll need a bite of this as a reward.”

 

Soyeon patted the girl’s cheek sympathetically, casually as if she wasn’t noticing how soft her skin was. She locked eyes with the girl as she did before Soyeon scoop a spoonful of chocolate ice cream for her. The girl, without hesitation, accepted the offer and smiled. Soyeon tilted her head to one side after witnessing such a beautiful smile up close. 

 

Soyeon imagined if she just witnessed a star meant for one person.

 

She lowered her gaze, not wanting to stare on for too long before it gets weird, or so she thinks. Soyeon grabbed a bite for herself.

 

“Is that an infamous indirect kiss?” 

 

The girl asked, smirking. She leaned back, breaking off Soyeon’s trance. Damn. This girl had a knack for ruining a moment.

 

“You could just ask if you want a real one. I am a great kisser, you know.”

 

The girl added before laughing to herself and hopping off the stool. Soyeon’s eyes followed her to the door, taking in the slight waves in her hair, her black hooded jacket, and loose jeans that made her bite her lips hard.

 

How insufferable.

 

 

 

A tub and a half of ice cream and a visit to Minnie, who is hiding inside her music room. Soyeon still doesn’t get how her friend would throw these parties and then she’ll get bored and leave. It was only when Minnie excused herself to find her girlfriend that she escaped into the backyard. She slipped into the back door and found the garden.

 

The music followed her with the occasional scream, but it was muffled— the detail didn’t get through. Soyeon breathed in a lungful of night air and found herself following a trail down to the flower bush at the end of the garden. 

 

For the first five minutes after she had decided to go outside and look at the stars, Soyeon had been in relative peace. It was only when she was about to sit down on the bench that she noticed, on the other side, a person lying on the ground, half of their upper body is underneath the bush, their legs and sticking out.

 

If Soyeon hadn’t stared at that backside earlier, she would have assumed a drunk person had crawled under there and passed out. She stood for a second, wondering how to approach this situation, then she heard her taking cooing sounds and Soyeon burst out laughing before she could stop herself.

 

In a flash, the girl crawled out from the bush and popped up onto the ground, a little uneasy on her feet.

 

“So, this is embarrassing.”

 

Soyeon said. She watched as the girl planted one hand on her hip to balance herself and then looked at her.

 

“Why are you embarrassed?”

 

She stared as the girl asked, squinting slightly.

 

“I mean for you?”

 

Soyeon replied as the girl frowned like she was trying hard to think of what she had to be embarrassed about.

 

“Don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

The girl said, blowing a stray strand of hair out of her eyes, but she saw her try not to smile. Soyeon reached out and picked a leaf that had nestled in the other girl’s shoulder.

 

“You’re right, it's totally normal to find a girl face-first in a bush at a party.”

 

Soyeon saw her trying to work out if that was a pun intended or not. Then she laughed and pulled on her hand, dragging Soyeon to the ground. Even in the confusion, her face charged towards the grass. She hoped her palm wasn’t sweaty.

 

The girl let go of her hand and she followed her lead, crawling under the bush army-style. She pushed aside the branches near the ground, and they squeezed in as far as they could get. The girl looked at her and peered into the tangle of branches and leaves. Soyeon followed her gaze, waiting for her eyes to adjust to the lack of light. When it finally did, a pair of brown eyes flashed first and then she made out a cat, curled up so far in the bush.

 

Soyeon looked at the girl and then at a cat. And she looked back at her again. There were only centimeters between their lips.

 

“You lost your cat?”

 

She said, trying to sound like she hadn’t been thinking about the space between their lips. Soyeon didn’t even question why this girl would have brought a cat with her for a party in the first place.

 

The girl was about to respond when she seemed to notice something and moved closer. Only slightly, but they were so close that the girl’s nose bumped up against hers. Soyeon didn’t move away. She held her breath.

 

“I like your eyes.”

 

The girls said, almost out of breath. Soyeon pursed her lips and looked back at the cat, trying to hide her blush. She was feeling dizzy, probably the chocolate ice cream earlier was laced with alcohol. Now, that her full attention was on the cat, she blinked her eyes as she suddenly recognized the feline.

 

“Mingo-ya.”

 

Soyeon called. The cat only perked her ears when she heard her name and didn’t move to approach Soyeon. Typical cat, she thinks. 

 

“Oh my god, so she’s your cat! She’s so freaking cute!”

 

The girl practically squealed as she attempted to crawl closer to the cat, who was now watching her warily.

 

“Uh— she was not mine. She’s the neighborhood’s cat.”

 

“Hey, girl. You’re such a good girl. You’re such a good… what’s her name again?”

 

The girl tried to pet the cat and Soyeon realized from the complete clumsiness of the action that she was almost certainly drunk.

 

“Mingo.”

 

Soyeon answered, still too confused and a little bit engrossed by the entire series of events to do anything else.

 

“Mingo? No way, that’s Minnie’s toy name!”

 

The girl said. A faint pang of recognition registered somewhere in Soyeon’s brain at this. Only a few people knew about the flamingo toy that Minnie was so fond of. And if the girl did know about it then she must be pretty close with her friend. Besides Minnie’s girlfriend, Miyeon, and Soyeon’s best friend, Soojin, she cannot think of anyone else who saw that annoying toy. Though, Minnie did mention some foreign freshmen that she took under her wing. Her friend cannot stop gushing about how cute they are.

 

“Shuhua?”

 

Soyeon said the first name that popped in her head and the girl snorted at that.

 

“No, that’s my roommate’s name. My name is Yuqi, while Minnie’s toy is Mingo, like the cat.”

 

Yuqi finally shifted her gaze from Mingo— who had been thoroughly displeased by the attention— to Soyeon and nudged her with her shoulder. 

 

“What’s your name?”

 

“I will tell you after we get out of this.”

 

Soyeon answered. She hasn't done any ridiculous things even when she’s drunk, and now she couldn’t believe that she would find herself face-first in a bush, no pun intended. Yuqi looked at her with a pouty, sad face. Soyeon rolled her eyes as though that definitely wouldn’t work on her. It was an eye roll of lies.

 

“Fine,” she sighed. “It’s Soyeon. Now, can we get out of here, please?”

 

Soyeon wouldn’t think that Minnie would appreciate them ruining her garden. Yuqi nodded, smiling in satisfaction before crawling backward out of the bush. She followed but it took her a lot longer than it took the other girl and Soyeon’s hair got tangled up on a branch. When she emerged, Yuqi was already upright, her hand extended to help her up which Soyeon declined the offer as Yuqi looked like she was about to fall over.

 

She dusted herself off and glanced over at Yuqi, who she noticed was a bit taller than her. Soyeon caught a flash of guilt before she grinned at her. 

 

“I love your cat.”

 

Yuqi said. Soyeon was so tired to correct her again.

 

“Thanks. Are you okay?”

 

Soyeon asked as she watched Yuqi stumble slightly. The other girl gave her a thumbs up.

 

“Are you drunk?”

 

“Yeah. What’s it to you? This is a democratic country, right?”

 

Yuqi said, then, clearly sensing some judgment in Soyeon’s tone that wasn’t there.

 

“Kind of. Except you’re in a private property, so.”

 

“That’s on the cat for being that cute. Is she really called Mingo?”

 

Soyeon wasn’t sure why she would lie about something like a cat’s name, but she didn’t say this.

 

“She’s way cuter than Minnie’s toy. Mingo, the toy, was kind of annoying.”

 

Soyeon nodded in agreement because the cat is way cuter really, She clearly remembered Soojin being irritated by that toy.

 

“I’m really tired.”

 

Yuqi announced. Soyeon didn’t know what to do with this information.

 

“Um… Are your friends at the party? Or maybe I could call you a cab? Is your dorm near?”

 

“No, it’s fine. I can walk.”

 

Yuqi replied, not very convincing. She was now crouched down on the ground. Mingo— the cat— was suddenly seated next to her, as if concerned.

 

“Just give me a sec. And then I’ll get up. And out of your bush or whatever.”

 

“You need some help?”

 

Soyeon finally stepped closer to her.

 

“Nooooo.”

 

Yuqi replied, dragging out the vowel sound. Soyeon shook her head and then held out her hand. From her closer vantage point, she could see Yuqi’s face more clearly. She was beautiful, really, and maybe too adorable for a drunk person and was kind of weird. And again, Soyeon didn’t know what to do with that information.

 

“No, seriously, I’m— “

 

Yuqi’s protest was cut off as she leaned away from her and almost vomited at Soyeon’s feet. Mingo glared at her.

 

“You sure, you’re okay?”

 

“Yup! I’m great.”

 

“You should probably rest for a while. Can you stand?”

 

Yuqi nodded, before falling from her sitting position onto the ground. Mingo purred a little and nudged her with her head. Soyeon sighed and grabbed Yuqi rather unceremoniously from beneath her arms. 

 

“You’re so pretty.”

 

Yuqi said once they were face to face. Soyeon didn’t think much of it even though she could feel her face heating up from the compliment.

 

“Thank you. Can you stand now?”

 

“Seriously, you’re very beautiful.”

 

Yuqi replied dreamily before heaving out a loud sigh.

 

“Stand now, please.”

 

Soyeon managed to get Yuqi upright for long enough to duck underneath one of her arms and support her weight while moving back towards the smallest crack that separates Minnie’s house from her own.

 

“You’re strong.”

 

Yuqi observed. Soyeon just shook her head, something that she had been doing a lot tonight. The reality was Yuqi was relatively light, despite her build being slightly bigger than hers, and her weight wasn’t too hard to bear. Mingo trotted alongside and observed their journey with interest. Eventually, they made it to the front door of her house.

 

“Nice house. How are you, like, in college with a house?”

 

“My parents gave it to me.”

 

Soyeon managed to get it out with a grunt as she pushed the front door open and got them over the foyer.

 

“Oh, damn. Young and rich.”

 

“I am not. Can you please try standing up by yourself now?”

 

Yuqi did so dutifully before staring at one of the photos hanging in the hallway. Soyeon followed her line of sight, it was her in a yellow hanbok when she was young. She wondered how Yuqi could see it in the dark.

 

“That’s an adorable picture.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“This is a big house. Don’t you ever get lonely?”

 

“Sometimes. But I kinda like it that way though.”

 

Soyeon replied. She usually won’t admit that and would roll her eyes at such an obvious question but it was already late and she was too tired to be sardonic. And also, there was something about the sincerity on Yuqi’s face. It made her feel incapable of anything but honesty.

 

“I get that.”

 

“I’m thinking about selling it and getting an apartment in the city.”

 

Soyeon said it without really knowing why. She had not shared this information with anyone because she hadn’t felt like sharing it with anyone. Yuqi was staring at her as though she understood this even though she had no way of knowing it was the case.

 

“Somewhere away from here? It is nice here, though.”

 

“It is, I guess.”

 

Soyeon agreed. She didn’t say that she was already excited to get out of here. She didn’t say that she wanted to start her career far away from here. She didn’t say that she hoped to start anew somewhere where no one knows her. Instead, she just said:

 

“You should probably just crash here tonight.” 

 

“No, you can just call me a cab— “

 

Yuqi yawned. Soyeon considered her state earlier in which Yuqi was stumbling down and almost threw up.

 

“I don’t think that’s the best idea.”

 

“What?”

 

“You being alone right now. Is there someone I can call to pick you up?”

 

Yuqi thought about this for a long while before replying.

 

“No. Miyeon is probably with Minnie right now. And Shuhua— she was drinking with me earlier. I don’t know where she is… “

 

“Couch, then.”

 

Soyeon said, choosing to disregard her last remark and worry about one freshman at a time. When Yuqi didn’t move and simply stared at her blankly, she added:

 

“My living room is behind you.”

 

“Oh, nice.”

 

Yuqi said, turning with not much grace towards the said room.

 

“I don’t need to help you walk again, do I?”

 

“No, no! I’ll be fine— “

 

Yuqi cut herself off with a long yawn before staggering toward the couch.

 

“Okay… Well, here you go. I’ll just get you water and a blanket?”

 

Soyeon gestured awkwardly towards the other room and began to walk away as Yuqi positioned herself on the couch. 

 

She didn’t know anything about taking care of a drunk person who had petted the neighborhood cat. Nonetheless, she filled up a glass of water in the kitchen before going upstairs to grab a blanket from her closet. She wondered if it was rude to let Yuqi sleep on the couch. She could have offered her bedroom. But in all honesty, Soyeon wasn’t sure she had any hope of getting Yuqi up farther inside the house without another incident.

 

When she returned to the living room, Yuqi was flung onto the couch with an arm across her eyes, already snoring loudly. Soyeon smiled before she could stop herself. She knew it was odd to feel such familiarity with a stranger, but there was something so endearing about the scene that she couldn’t help it. She covered her with a blanket and placed the water on the coffee table. Once she’d straightened up, she saw that Mingo had curled herself up at the foot of the couch and was asleep as well. At the sight, Soyeon went to her room.

 

 

 

Soyeon was woken up the next morning by someone tapping insistently at her bedroom door. She was momentarily terrified at the prospect of a home invasion before her sleep-sodden brain caught up with itself and she remembered everything at once: Yuqi talking to her, Yuqi cooing over a cat, Yuqi in her house, Yuqi passing out on her couch, and now, probably, Yuqi knocking on her bedroom door. 

 

“Umm, good morning. Soyeon? Okay, am I still dreaming? Because honestly, I remember meeting a Soyeon last night.”

 

Yuqi’s voice came from behind the door, confirming Soyeon’s suspicion. 

 

“Yes, it’s me. Wait a second.”

 

Soyeon managed through a yawn, sitting up and rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. She got up and padded over to the door. When she opened it she was met by a Yuqi who looked far too bright-eyed for someone who had stumbled in front of her only a few hours before.

 

“Hey, I thought I was still imagining things”

 

“Okay?”

 

Soyeon said, confused. She couldn’t understand what Yuqi was saying but she was already realizing that the other girl might still be recovering from last night. Instead, she rubbed her eyes a few times again, before letting out another yawn. Soyeon asks:

 

“Did you sleep okay?”

 

Yuqi was staring at her with an odd expression on her face, as though she’d never seen someone yawn before. 

 

“Yuqi?” 

 

Soyeon prompted.

 

“Yes?”

 

Soyeon squinted at her confusedly. She repeated:

 

“Did you sleep okay?”

 

“Oh. Yeah. Totally.”

 

“You were drunk last night.”

 

Soyeon said, probably unnecessarily. Yuqi looked very flustered and Soyeon watched as her face slowly turned a very faint shade of pink. 

 

“Yeah… About that. I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s okay.”

 

“No, but seriously, I feel so humiliated right now.”

 

Yuqi said sheepishly.

 

“It doesn’t seem like you are.”

 

Soyeon replied because Yuqi seemed fairly well adjusted and not exactly dying of embarrassment. 

 

“I am. Trust me.”

 

Yuqi assured her.

 

Soyeon paused before answering.

 

“You almost threw up in your mouth”

 

“I did? I almost did?”

 

Yuqi asked with horror, then, with sinking realization.

 

“Yeah… “

 

Soyeon said with a grimace. She wasn’t sure what the protocol was after this point. She’d kind of hoped that it would be clearer to figure out what to do after a few hours of sleep, but so far she was just as clueless as she had been that midnight. 

 

“I probably smell the worst. I’m so sorry.

 

Yuqi said miserably.

 

“It’s okay. I can give you a cleaning supply or something.”

 

Soyeon suggested, and she was surprised to find herself meaning it.

 

“Thanks!”

 

Yuqi said, still looking very sorry for herself. 

 

In an attempt to appease her, Soyeon said:

 

“I can make breakfast while you clean up. Are pancakes okay?” 

 

“Oh, no, I’ve — I’ve bothered you too much already.”

 

Yuqi replied, but the protest came out weakly, particularly in contrast with the way her eyes had lit up at the mention of breakfast.

 

“There is an extra towel in the bottom drawer of the bathroom. And a toothbrush in the container above the sink.”

 

Soyeon said, pointing at the said room at the end of the hall.

 

Yuqi was about to open to respond but was interrupted by a quiet whine from the living room. They both turned around to see that Mingo was standing there, looking sorrowful.

 

“Oh my god! I thought I just dreamed of her, too.”

 

Yuqi gasped.

 

“No, she’s very real, too. And she might be really hungry.” 

 

Soyeon assured her. She glanced over at Yuqi, who was still looking at Mingo with something between away and adoration.

 

“You’re a cat person, huh?” 

 

Soyeon asked as she fetched Mingo a food that she kept whenever the fluffy cat was around.

 

“Not really. I have a dog back in China. It just— somehow, this one caught my attention.”

 

Yuqi said distantly.

 

“I can’t blame you. Mingo’s the sweetest.”

 

Soyeon agreed as she pats her softly while the cat eats.

 

“So apparently, it’s real, too.”

 

“What?”

 

“That the cat is named after Minnie’s toy.”

 

“Yes, it is. Don’t you have to clean up?”

 

Soyeon sighed and prompted her. It seems like Yuqi might still be drunk, which is impossible.

 

“Right! I’ll just… “

 

Yuqi said, with a slight jolt, as though being yanked out of deep thought.

 

She nodded in the direction of the bathroom and disappeared out of the kitchen. Soyeon watched her go and then started to prepare their breakfast. As she did so she tried to piece together the events that had occurred over the last few hours and led to her making pancakes to share with someone who she just met last night. Since college started Soyeon had become more alone, apart from the occasional interaction with her friends and some acquaintances and professors she met at her department. She wondered if this was why she’d ended up in this situation. Soyeon couldn’t remember the last time she offered to make breakfast for someone or even the last time she made something for herself. But she had suggested it to Yuqi as though it were a completely normal thing to do.

 

Eventually, Soyeon decided that these thoughts were probably best left for when she was making music and after she had eaten and slept a little more. For now, breakfast was the priority. She tried to concentrate on cooking while her mind was thinking about the Yuqi. Soyeon just finished setting up the kitchen counter when she heard a set of footsteps coming through the hallway. Soon enough, Yuqi arrived, looking a little pale.

 

“I’m all cleaned up.”

 

Yuqi announced solemnly.

 

“Great… Are you okay there? You look a little— “

 

“Don’t say it, please! I usually look good. The best.”

 

“Okay?”

 

“Anyways, I still look beautiful. And these smell incredible!”

 

“Well, it’s all ready. So, the food’s up, I guess.”

 

Soyeon supplied, ignoring the self-compliments Yuqi gave herself and wondered why on earth she felt warm at the cozy tone in Yuqi’s voice.

 

She sat on the kitchen stool and Yuqi followed, sitting down and beginning to eat with a speed Soyeon didn’t think she had ever seen before.

 

“Oh my god! This is incredible. Is this how Koreans do it?”

 

Yuqi moaned through a mouthful of pancakes.

 

“Amongst other things.”

 

Soyeon said, feeling the strange warm feeling come over her again.

 

“Mmm, I mean, wow! This is literally one of the best things I ever tasted.”

 

Yuqi let out with a nod, shoving another forkful into .

 

“Thank you.”

 

Soyeon replied. She didn’t have the heart to tell the other girl that it was just normal pancakes.

 

“You’re so welcome! I mean, thank you! For, you know, feeding me. And taking care of me, even letting me sleepover. And… seriously, I would probably still be passed out in Minnie’s backyard by now, if it weren’t for you. So… “

 

Yuqi said after swallowing. She trailed off, as though remembering the entire situation, and started to blush a little.

 

“It’s okay.”

 

Soyeon said, meaning it. She hadn’t spent such a long period with someone for a while. Half of her was wildly uncomfortable and the other half was strangely enthusiastic. Soyeon felt as if she was on a rollercoaster ride. Somehow not sure she would make it out alive or not.

 

“So, do you usually eat here, and not in the dining room?”

 

Yuqi asked, oblivious to Soyeon’s thoughts. She blinked in surprise when she realized the question about her eating arrangement.

 

“Not really?”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I just usually eat in my room while I study.”

 

“You could still eat there though. It’s really nice.”

 

Yuqi said with a shrug.

 

“It would be stupid. It is only me, anyways… “

 

Soyeon said unthinkingly. She realized she made a mistake when Yuqi paused in her eating to look at her very seriously. Soyeon added, belatedly:

 

“I’m fine with it though.”

 

“Being alone?”

 

“Yes, I am used to it. It was a conscious decision.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Yuqi said. She paused, then added:

 

“I’m kind of remembering everything yesterday.”

 

“Okay? I mean, there isn’t much to remember. You were drunk… and passed out pretty quickly, once we got inside.”

 

Soyeon said in uncertainty, hesitating.

 

“No, I know that. I just mean you know. I remember seeing you at school. Soyeon.”

 

Yuqi said, blushing slightly.

 

“That’s me. We go to the same school. Yeah.”

 

Soyeon said. In all honesty, she hadn’t even considered the possibility that Yuqi wouldn’t know who she was, considering they were sitting here eating breakfast together.

 

“You usually had those oversized hoodies. I remember being jealous of how it looked cool on you.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

Soyeon said, touching a hand on the shirt that she just wore in a hurry as though subconsciously checking if she was still looking cool. Yuqi seemed to sense this and assured her. She added:

 

“I think you will still look cool in anything.”

 

“Not right now. I haven’t slept that long. I might look the worst.”

 

“Me too. I mean, me, looking the worst. But honestly, I think I just had the best sleep in a while. Thanks again, by the way.”

 

“You don’t have to keep thanking me.”

 

“I mean, I barged into your space.”

 

“I let you in.”

 

Yuqi opened to say something else but was cut off by the buzzing of her phone in her pocket. She glanced at the screen and grimaced.

 

“It’s my friend. Do you mind if I… “

 

“No, sure. Go for it.”

 

Soyeon said, waving her ahead. Yuqi looked apologetic.

 

“Thanks.”

 

Yuqi said, sliding off her seat before answering the call and bringing her phone in her ears. “Shuhua,” she said with no little amount of hesitation, then walked into the next room.

 

Soyeon continued to finish her breakfast. She couldn’t hear much of the conversation but from what she caught of Yuqi’s voice, it sounded like her friend had been very concerned about her whereabouts, which was understandable.

 

“Hey. So my friends are on their way to pick me up.”

 

Yuqi greeted again, reappearing in the kitchen and looking a little sheepish.

 

“Sure. Is that your roommate that’s going to pick you up?”

 

“Yeah. Not exactly her. Shuhua is just gonna come along with Miyeon. She’s the only one I know available right now who can drive. And it was convenient since Miyeon always spent her free time in our dorm. She has this weird fixation with my Shuhua, so… “

 

“Miyeon. As in Minnie’s girlfriend?”

 

“Yes. Sorry, weird of me to assume you know everyone I know. Or me, honestly.”

 

“I do know you. We just spent the night together.”

 

“In separate rooms.”

 

“Still. I’ve already seen your weird drunk self.”

 

“I am not usually like that.”

 

Yuqi informed her. She seemed quite adamant about it. Soyeon could feel her lips curling up in a very small smile.

 

“Yeah, sure… “

 

Soyeon said, with a snort. Yuqi looked like she was about to continue making her point when the doorbell rang.

 

“That’ll be Shuhua. Or Miyeon.”

 

“Or both.”

 

“Or both, right.”

 

Yuqi said, before heading over to the door. Soyeon followed her with slight hesitation. She could remember the last time she’d had so many guests in such a short period.

 

“You look bad.”

 

Yuqi said when she opened the door to reveal Miyeon, who did look like she is not faring well with a hangover.

 

“Wow, Yuqi. Thanks. It’s good to see you too. How the hell did you end up here?”

 

“I don’t remember. How far are you from Minnie’s house?”

 

Yuqi asked as she turned to Soyeon. She answered immediately:

 

“Just next door.”

 

“Oh.” 

 

Miyeon rolled her eyes at Yuqi before peering past her to greet Soyeon. She answered with a small wave.

 

“Hi, Soyeon! Thanks for saving this idiot. I hope she didn’t do anything crazy… “

 

“Ya! Shut up!”

 

“Uh-huh. Well, let’s get going. You promised that you will treat Shuhua and I for lunch later.”

 

“Wait, what? I said what?”

 

Yuqi said with horror.

 

“Yes, you did. Stop pretending you forgot.”

 

Yuqi groaned, leaning dramatically against the doorframe.

 

“No way, I say a lot of things. I can’t do it, Miyeon, no way. I’m so hungover, I might die if I have to— “

 

Yuqi was cut off by a car horn sound from across the street and a muffled yell that says: “Guys! Let’s go!” Soyeon guessed that it might be Shuhua.

 

“You can tell her that yourself. I’m sure she’d take it well. Come one, if I left Shuhua there a little longer, she might take over the driver seat. I’ll wait in the car.”

 

Miyeon said pleasantly, giggling from the little outburst from Yuqi and Shuhua.

 

“Fine.”

 

Yuqi grumbled, before looking over at Soyeon, who had watched the friends’ exchange with cover interest.

 

“I’ll wait in the car. It was nice seeing you, Soyeon.”

 

Miyeon said and gave Soyeon a small grateful smile.

 

“You, too.”

 

Soyeon said. She and Yuqi were left standing in the doorways as Miyeon strode over in the direction of a faded black car which looked very much worse for wear.

 

“So, thank you. Again. You pretty much saved me last night. And breakfast was amazing.”

 

Yuqi said once her friend was gone, her face softened into a smile.

 

“Don’t mention it.”

 

Soyeon said because she couldn’t think of anything else to say and she was distracted by the recent realization that as soon as Yuqi left she would be thinking about this whole night and morning for days afterward. Or maybe write about it, something she doesn't want to admit to herself.

 

“I won’t be. Because I mean, I am still embarrassed, so…”

 

“As long as you don’t cross me, your secret is safe with me.”

 

Soyeon assured her, though not with a slight smirk.

 

“Thanks. And hey, you’ll probably see me again. I’m pretty sure I’m in love— “

 

Yuqi paused and grimaced before continuing:

 

“With your Mingo, the cat.”

 

Yuqi clarified.

 

“Yeah, definitely, my Mingo.”

 

Soyeon couldn’t help letting out a laugh. But it was cut short when Yuqi stepped closer to her. She knows that it doesn’t look like a scene from romance films or books, or so she thought. Yet, Soyeon felt wobbly. It was like something in her body switched on. She leaned in close enough that Soyeon could see the freckles on her nose. Yuqi’s eye bored into her, brown one framed by long lashes. 

 

There was barely any space between them. Normally, Soyeon would be shy about the close distance, but for some reason, she was excited. It felt different. Though, a little voice in her head told her to leave.

 

“Anyways, thanks again.” 

 

“And, I told you not to mention it again.”

 

Soyeon’s words were nonchalant, but she was sure that Yuqi might be able to feel her heart beating faster. She didn’t reply. In the background, she was aware of the muffled sound of the busy street, but it felt like the room was getting smaller and smaller until it was just the two of us. Yuqi didn’t move away.

 

Everything she might have replied got caught in when she felt Yuqi kiss her cheek. 

 

Soyeon relished the contact. She wondered if Yuqi could feel it. Her lips were soft on her cheek. She could smell Yuqi’s perfume, which was still there even after crawling into the dirty garden last night. 

 

She should have been scared. She should have pushed Yuqi away. She should never have let a girl who made her feel warm.

 

But Soyeon told herself that she could have this, just for now, and it wouldn’t hurt to let it in.

 

Yuqi pulled away, yet Soyeon could still somehow feel the warmth around her.

 

Once they were a safe distance away from each other. Yuqi said:

 

“See you around, Soyeon.”

 

Soyeon watched as a stupid smirk made its way on Yuqi’s face.

 

So annoying. 

 

“Get out of my property now, please.”

 

Soyeon said, trying to sound displeased though she can’t help but smile. She heard a laugh from Yuqi as she watched her walk through the front lawn over to Miyeon’s car and get in. Everyone in the vehicle gave her a final wave through the car window and then they were gone. Soyeon closed the front door and went back to the kitchen. She found Mingo sitting curled up on the chair where Yuqi had been sitting. Mingo looked up at her and let out a snort before closing her eyes again.

 

She looked at the remnants of their breakfast sitting on the table before suddenly lyrics and melodies came into her mind. Soyeon went up to her room to start writing.