He's Too Sweet

Honey Love

It's a good day out, Jay thinks.

Sunghoon's around the corner, busy looking around to find him. He doesn't notice Jay waving at him, promptly pushing past people at the same time and he's close.

Sunghoon was waiting for him.

Jay is finally here. 'I've been waiting for you, Jay.'

'Yeah, I know. I'm here now.'

'I missed you so much, Jay.'

Jay looks at him, eyes crinkly and dimples showing.

'Let's sit somewhere, shall we?'

'Yeah, sure!' Sunghoon takes him to a café he frequents, picking items for him.

'I really love this one and, a-ha!' He points at some commercial, 'I think you'd love this! It has everything you like, it's almost like they customized the drink.'

'About that, um, I kinda stopped drinking coffee. It disrupts my sleep schedule.' Jay explains while looking at the ceiling.

'Oh.' Sunghoon seems upset. 'Let's go to somewhere else, then.'

'No need, this place seems nice. It has a cool design.' Jay keeps talking.

'So, when are you leaving?' Sunghoon asks, arms crossed, pouting.

Jay sighs. 'We can always talk about that later, Sunghoon. I didn't fly for 14 hours to talk about myself. Tell me about your life here. Is everything going alright?'

Sunghoon looks at him, matching his gaze. 'Not necessarily.'

'What?' He asks, worried, 'What's wrong?'

'Nothing.'

'Nothing?' Jay throws his arms up in disbelief. 'Nothing. Really, Hoon? What's up with you? Ever since we started talking, you've been acting off. I want to understand. Talk more to me, will you?' It's because of you, Sunghoon wants to explain. You caused this.

Sunghoon puts his wallet on the table. 'It's on m-'

'Ah, I can't accept that.' Jay interjects.

'No, really, I want to pay.' You're making me act this way. 'It's not that important. Besides, I don't know if I'll be able to see you again.' I waited for you to return every day.

'Are you certain?'

'Yes.'

'Let's leave.' When they start walking, Sunghoon is too unsure to close the distance.

'Do you want me to help out with your luggage?' He asks. 'It looks heavy, should I carry one for you?'

Jay hands him a mid-sized duffel, muttering a small 'thank you.' After that Jay keeps talking and Sunghoon listens, Jay's voice getting louder with each step.

'Give me a minute.' Jay tells him to wait before leaving with keys in his hand. Standing in front of him, Sunghoon can hear his heartbeat. 'This is where I'll be staying for tonight.' Inside the room, Jay asks without looking back. 'You wanna crash at my new place? Temporarily, of course.'

Sunghoon stutters, blushing. 'Wh-why would I want that?'

'It's just that, I haven't seen you in years. I wonder if you started snoring.'

'I don't snore! There's your answer.' He's joking, Sunghoon knows. There's no way he's serious about it.

Sunghoon would never accept. He might do something stupid. He could talk to him but he doesn't want that. He doesn't trust himself enough. Maybe today could be enough.

Sun sets, and they're together. Jay'd wanted this, a picnic. Sunghoon looks at Jay and he realizes they don't have much time left. He wants to say it. He'll need to tell him this. He'll say it when Jay stops speaking.

'Is there anything you want for dinner?'

'Well... I don't know.'

'Hm? You don't know?' He thinks for some time, 'Actually, there's nothing in the fridge. Maybe we could cook some pasta. And look, I'm even offering you some red wine with it.'

'I'm so nervous.'

'Haha, so funny Sunghoon.' Jay fake laughs.

'No, I'm really nervous. I've been meaning to tell you something.'

'What is it?'

Attentively looking at him, Jay asks.

''I can't do this.'' Sunghoon is about to give up as he closes his eyes. ''Can't I? But I've waited for so long. It's now or never.''

''Just say it, just say it, say it'' Sunghoon chants in his mind. The lump in his throat won't let a word come out. He takes a deep breath. He feels like crying suddenly.

'I.. I love you.'

'What?! Like, romantically? That's a bit... weird.'

Silence.

'Not like that, Jay. I meant..'

'You meant what?'

'Nothing.' With that, Sunghoon stands up. 'I'll leave now. Good night, Jay.'

'Wait! Wait, Sunghoon, look at me.' Jay hastily stands up, running a hand through his disheveled hair. 'Look, I know you, alright? I can tell something's been bothering you. You can talk to me about it. That's what friends are for, right?'

Stupid Jay, Sunghoon thinks. You really think I'd confess after today? I won't. Sunghoon says nothing. '... Sunghoon, are you listening?' Jay interrupts his inner voice.

'This is my last night here at Korea, we might not see each other until god knows when. I can't let you leave empty-handed. Here, at least take this.' In Jay's hand, Sunghoon sees a card. 'My number's written on it. Thought you'd want it.' He seems contemplative while saying the last part, nervous even. 'I can't take it, Jay...' It will just remind me of this moment.

'I just wish you weren't here today.'

'I wanted to visit you, Sunghoon. You're my best friend.' I'm here for you, Sunghoon hears. After this, Sunghoon will be glad he'd cried last night. For now, he doesn't have enough tears.

'Please, I insist. It'll be easier this way. We should stay in touch.' Jay is trying to convince him.

'And why's that? Just come here when you want to see me again, you know where to find me. It's a small town after all.' Sunghoon turns around.

'Good night then, I guess.' Jay walks towards him. 'I'll leave this here in case you change your mind.' He tries to hold his hand, but Sunghoon's palm is closed. Jay repeats the same sentence. Sunghoon mouths a 'Bye.' in return.

Sunghoon watches him leave. The next day, he watches Jay leave again. Jay is looking at him, lips moving. Probably about how he's going to stay the next time. Sunghoon knows better than to believe him. He has a job there, Sunghoon knows. It'll be a long time before he comes back. If Sunghoon can wait, there's a chance they'll be together. From the distance Sunghoon can't decipher his words. He won't need to. Sunghoon doesn't have any time left.

Tomorrow he'll be leaving. Moving will be a fresh start, he thinks. Jay won't know where to find him. Unless Sunghoon calls him first.