In My Dreams You Love Me Back

Dèjá Vu

“Hit the sack! We will rise in the crack of dawn!” Irene ordered to the hundred knights in the vast field. Most immediately went inside their tents. Others positioned in their stations as nightwatch.

 

The holy knight took it as an opportunity. The lesser people, the better. She trailed the path to the forest. Cautiously looking back if someone was following her. She doubt they would. They wouldn’t dare to try the wrath of the first princess. 

 

But if someone saw her and spoke against her will, it would surely test her mother’s patience. Irene just couldn’t help it. She loathed the idea of a roaming demon near their vicinity. There’s no point in squandering around yet alone bring a hundreds of knights with her when she can slay it by herself.

 

Besides, no kingdom really needs her. She persistently refused to take the crown. Let their teenage brother take it when he grows. Or let Joy or Yeri. She does not care who sits on the throne.

 

Her purpose is killing every single one of them. The race who killed hundreds of their men. The poison who killed her father, the king. And she doesn’t mind dying in the process.

 

The Holy Knights Order has been established centuries ago with the aim of protecting the peace of humans. They go by many names before, practicing secrecy. But her great grandfather decided to break the anonymity by blatantly declaring that Holy Knights are serving their kingdom. There’s a reason behind why they were anonymous, it’s not because they want to keep their identity or traditions. But because they wanted to keep the idea of demons existing.

 

Eons ago, humans and demons live in harmony. Everyone knew that demons exist. Then, territorial disputes arise. Violence were reported. Demons started moving in camps, collecting all the demons they can. It’s like building an army. Eventually, the humans did too. Built armies, then built kingdoms. At the same time, slew the demons until a minuscule was left. And that’s where their generation of Holy Knights comes in, to kill the remaining demons hiding underground. In fact, most of the Holy Knights today do not even know the true initial purpose of their order. They’re now the soldiers of their kingdom, protecting the citizens from all matters of violence. Some are still secretly trained to be demon slayers. But most are trained to expand their kingdom.

 

No one can really point out who started the war between demons. Irene thinks it’s humans and their greed. A notable example is her mother who envisions a world that’s under one sovereignty. Still, the knight silently prays that the demons are out of the so-called one sovereignty.

 

She wasn’t against the idea of humans and demons coexisting. The keyword here is was. Things change. But her love for battle doesn’t. Ever since she’s young, she has been fascinated of the Holy Knights. She decided to become one, wholeheartedly leaving the princess duties to her younger sisters much to her parents disapproval. 

 

At first, she was also a naive Holy Knight because of her father’s command not to tell her about the demons. But when her father died in the hands of that diabolic race, her mother didn’t want to keep the lie. That’s when she trained to fight demons, to lead an army, and to fulfill her mother’s dream of an empire.

 

Irene stopped reminiscing when she felt it. Near her was an abandoned chapel that shows no sign of residency. No ordinary human could notice it. But she learned to catch the faint smell of blood and the slight change of the atmosphere into an ominous one. The location of the chapel is also odd. It’s away civilization. It is probably a hideout, masking as a place of holiness.

 

She immediately fired a torch. The only source of light are the stars, the moon clouded. Her timing is just right. A clouded moon means demons have no complete control of their power.

 

She opened the door with a creak, drawing her sword on the other hand. It reeked blood and it looked like a massacre happened with the bodies lying all over the place. There were only a few broken pews in the area. In front of her is the altar, with a huge cross inverted. Then, she heard a menacing laugh. She didn’t notice the throne behind the altar has an occupant. 

 

A woman with long black hair, wearing a black dress. She couldn’t clearly see its face. But she knows it’s one of them.

 

“Oh my, you’re a bit late. I just had my dinner. There may be leftovers for you to enjoy,” the demon with the velvety voice said. The way it spoke screams confidence as if Irene is not a threat. 

 

The Holy Knight strode carefully, stopping when she stepped on something. She turned the direction of her torch down. She was horrified on what she saw. A head of a little girl. She clenched her sword tighter and decided to finally speak, “Repent or die!”

 

The demon merely chuckled, “The prey finally decided to hunt the predator. How many holy knights will they send next? The last one was a bit unappetizing.” The demon stood up, a bit taller than Irene. 

 

“Repent for forsaking the light of the Lord!”

 

“Miss Holy Knight, your Lord has forsaken us, not the other way around.” Irene stepped nearer, putting away her torch. Right in front of the altar. Her silver plate reflected the light coming from the hole in the ceiling. She abruptly looked up. A full moon. Irene cursed.

 

Irene sensed that the demon tensed a little before commenting, “What a beauty you are. Makes me rethink if I should devour you.” The demon went nearer to the altar. It leaned its upper body on it. Looking directly at Irene as the moon shone upon its face.

 

Monolid ruby eyes. Button nose. Dark lips. A dark crown made of thorns adorned its head. 

 

Its appearance was exactly the opposite of the demons’ Irene faced before. There were no horns. There were no blood.

 

It looked human. She looked human... and familiar.

 

But Irene knew she must not bring her guard down. Demons are known to be deceitful. 

 

The demon sat its head to both of its palms. Without hesitation, Irene pointed the end of her sword to its face. The faster, the better. Especially in a full moon.

 

“Oh! Look who we have here. It is such an honor to be granted an audience with the royal family.” Irene was a bit taken aback. 

 

It held the tip of her sword with its dainty fingers. Scanning through it until the pommel which has the royal family insignia engraved on it. Its eyes transferred to her plate with the same special insignia carved on the upper right.

 

Irene didn’t need to ask how did it know she’s royal. But she found it odd that demons know them too well especially little details like this. The royal family insignia can only be worn by the people who belong to it. But not everyone knows that. She felt exposed.  

 

“I know my history. Not like you. I bet you even thought that this chapel is not a good hiding spot for someone like me...” The demon answered the question in her head as it leaned back. Irene surged forward, aiming her sword in its neck. “Don’t you dare move,” Irene warned.

 

But the demon didn’t even flinch and continued placidly, “But it’s not, because whenever people sees the sign of your Lord, they come here willingly. Just like you exactly in the full moon.” Irene placed the sword nearer, one slight movement would leave a cut. She has had enough of this talkative demon. 

 

It smirked which sent shivers down Irene’s spine. The demon knows that she’s at a disadvantage. “I’m not in the mood for a battle anyway. The best action you should do now is dropping your sword. We both know who will triumph under the moon. Besides, you wouldn’t like your army to be devoured without their leader.” 

 

“Devoured?” Irene questioned.

 

“You really think I’m here alone?“ The demon laughed, then its smile went away. Eyes piercing through her eyes as if threatening, “What would your little army do with their supreme commander missing in her tent?” 

 

By that, Irene grew nervous. How did the demon know that she went here in secret?There’s a chance that it has its eyes on them for a long time. How many demons are there? Fifty? Or more than the hundred knights she was with? Are there still that many?

 

The possibility of her knights in harm because of her callousness worried her. Her generals are still there but if they find out she went missing, they will surely risk everything to find her. She had no choice but to withdraw.

 

“You’re sickening. You’re willing to kill hundreds of innocent men and for what purpose?” Irene placed her sword back in her scabbard and stepped back. 

 

“You and me both, your Majesty.” The demon smirked and sat down back in the altar. It clicked its tongue twice. Lights . The smell was gone and so are the random bodies lying around. The place looked majestic. Pews were placed to its normal state and the cross was upright. The only thing remained was the hole in the roof. Irene was appalled in the illusion. 

 

“It’s time to get your facts straight because seemingly you have distorted knowledge on history especially on us.” The demon offered its hand. “The name is Seulgi.” 

 

Irene just looked at her hand disgustingly, “I don’t befriend my enemy.” 

 

Seulgi merely chuckled. “Alright.”

 

“What do you want?” the knight frankly asked. She knew there’s a bargain coming.

 

“Here’s the thing, Princess Holy Knight who wouldn’t even politely say her name. I have a proposal. You will sit there and listen as I tell you all the things I know about the true history about this Holy War. If you still think it is worthy to cut my head after, then so be it.” Irene grimaced more on the odd proposition. 

 

“What’s in it for me? I’m not here to dilly-dally while you kill your boredom about history and lies.”

 

“For you? Of course, if you don’t agree, you will not get out of here alive. Besides, I can tell you a thing or two about your father’s death.” Seulgi said who immediately smiled when it saw Irene’s reaction. The knight was obviously interested but still contemplating.

 

“Sit.” The demon swiped her index finger, not taking no for an answer. A force suddenly pushed Irene to sit down on one of the pews. She wanted to stand up but she couldn’t. 

 

With a clap, a basket of fresh strawberries were placed on her lap. It was certainly odd. Is it for her to eat? How could the demon know that it’s her favorite? Irene was sure that there is poison in it so she didn’t bother getting one.

 

“So, what do you want to know?” Seulgi asked. “I didn’t even agree.” Irene asserted. 

 

“Oh but you have no choice.” The demon stood up. Looking around the statues near the altar. Dusting off the dirt with the back of its hand.

 

“You see, I’m impatient. What I want, I get. End of the story.” The demon took a saber from one the statued angel holding it. “One of the things I wanted was this chapel. My comrades got it just before they were killed  by yours. I’m all alone now but I have this.” Seulgi pointed the sword around then to her. 

 

“You’re lying.” Irene spat. Why would a demon desire such chapel when they’re afraid of the Holy Light? What’s in it for them? Demons become weak when inside a sacred place. But Seulgi was an exception. The knight can sense its dark power.

 

“Not now. But I was. Demon armies do not exist anymore. The number of knights you are probably with outnumbers the demons I know who are still alive.” That raised a question to Irene.

 

“How do you know all these things?” The knight wanted to end this mystery.

 

“I guessed. Based on what I know about your family, your parents were not really fond of you playing with swords. Besides, I got an archive underground full of your order’s history. I practically know how you move and think.” Seulgi stood in front of her. Irene wanted to bring her sword out but she can’t. She was suddenly raising her arms while holding the basket, offering the fruit to the demon. 

 

Seulgi stabbed one strawberry using the saber. It crouched in front of Irene and took a bite while intently looking at her. Then she offered the remaining to Irene, placing the side of the saber near . “Still not eating? There’s no poison in there. I just picked it up awhile ago.”

 

“I won’t accept anything from you. I might be eating a basket of eyeballs with these illusions!” Irene looked around, emphasizing what she meant.

 

Seulgi laughed. “You know, it’s quite offending how, you, humans think that we eat people to survive. And whatever you saw earlier, it was the illusion. This is the real state of the chapel. Did I mention that this is one of the hideouts where the ancestral Holy Knights gathered? It’s quite a strategic place, honestly. In the middle of a forest. Looks abandoned on outside. A bit far from civilization.”

 

Irene was still not having her lies until Seulgi spoke next, “Your father thought of the same thing.” That caught the attention of Irene. She looked at Seulgi intently but still not asking what’s on her mind.

 

Seulgi sat beside her, looking at the altar. “He went here a few months before he died. He and my comrades had a secret agreement. We will stay away from human civilization and in return, he will give us this chapel. A place for hideout. He thought that we will be weakened here. Which was a myth we had to debunk when he visited.”  

 

A secret door just below the cross opened when Seulgi clicked her tongue thrice. “Your father didn’t understand the relevance of this chapel. He thought it was just a neglected place by the friars. We showed him what he wanted to know when he first visited. He told me your family thought he went in an expedition to a nearby region.” Seulgi stood up, still not looking at her. Her father did went to an expedition and she remembers that no one from his small army was harmed. 

 

“He secretly visited here often after that. He was an honorable man. A good friend. Whenever he was here with few of his knights, I hoped that it’s the start of peace. Never have I thought that humans and demons can still coexist. But we were blamed to be the reason for his death. They raided this place in daylight. Killed my comrades. While I hid away downstairs, protecting the archives.” Irene saw Seulgi wiping its face but she couldn’t tell if the demon was crying. 

 

“You’re the only one left from the royal family who could help. Your father had huge respect and trust in you and I trust in that.” Suddenly, Irene was loose from constraint. She was still doubting. She stood up and held her sword, ready to strike. The demon was obviously thinking she could be easily swayed.

 

“Books, reports, manuscripts. Everything you need to know about the Holy Knights Order and the history of the royal family is right downstairs. Written by hundreds of chosen Knights and royals. Before my comrades died, we also wrote our side of the history. No lies. Just plain truth,” Seulgi turned to her, eyes watering. But was a bit shocked when Irene’s sword was pointed to its heart. 

 

“You don’t believe me?” The demon asked. There was sadness in its eyes. Seulgi looked powerless. 

 

“Die.” Irene fiercely said. She’s quite unsure if she will take the bait. But Seulgi spoke sincerely. Its expressions shouted that she spoke the truth. Irene was so confused. 

 

The demon smiled, a sad smile of longing. Irene didn’t understand why Seulgi seemed to be giving up. She can feel its power is dissipating. There was pregnant pause before it replied.

 

“Maybe this is the only way to end the curse. Without you knowing anything about it.” Seulgi closed her eyes, let go of her saber, and tightly held the sword with her right hand. Urging Irene to push the sword.

 

“What are you do—?” Irene was cut to speaking when Seulgi uttered, “I’m sorry, Joohyun.” Tears fell on its face. 

 

Irene felt it wasn’t right. She doesn’t know if it’s because Seulgi was weeping or the name she called. There’s something in it she couldn’t point out. It felt nostalgic hearing it. Irene doesn’t believe it whenever her sisters tell her something about their déjà vu. She has never experienced it once.

 

But ever since she stepped on this chapel, seeing the demon right in front of her. Everything felt familiar. Like all these happened before. 

 

Was she under some kind of spell? Was she being fooled? The knight didn’t know what to believe in. 

 

But she felt it wasn’t right. It’s breaking her heart. And she doesn’t know why. 

 

“Please, kill me. I’m sorry.” The demon held the sharp sword tighter, blood was dripping from its skin. Long gone was the confident demon awhile ago. Seulgi is a façade. All of this is an act. The knight wanted to believe that, scratch that, she should believe that. 

 

“Your Majesty! Seulgi! Please stop this!” A familiar voice screamed from the direction of the altar. Both their attention were caught.

 

“Wendy?” Irene asked unsure if what she’s seeing is an illusion. “Your Majesty, please put down your sword. Everything is fine. Please. Let’s not act rashly. Let’s talk about this. I beg of you, Your Majesty. Please hear me out” Wendy was begging, almost bowing to the floor. 

 

Wendy was her best friend, a companion of her father when he went to expeditions. But on the night of the King’s deathbed, she disappeared. Everyone thought she was seeking vengeance for their loss. So no one even bothered to look for her. They say, you can’t find someone who doesn’t want to be found. 

 

Irene grieved. It was impossible that Wendy wouldn’t tell her about her mission. She thought she has died in the same hands of the demon who poisoned his father. One of the reasons why she set out this expedition was to find the missing bodies of their comrades especially his father’s knights.

 

“Joohyun, take me please.” Seulgi was looking at her intently, eyes red from crying. The blood trickled down her sword and to Seulgi’s arm. They stared for a while. A pair of eyes looking at the other with uncertainty and the other pleading. 

 

The name irked Irene but she let it all out with a sigh. Who the hell is Joohyun and why is Seulgi calling her that? Is this demon insane? 

 

“Let go.” Irene ordered. But the demon didn’t move. “I said let go or I’ll slice your hand, Seulgi.” When she called its name, an emotion she couldn’t understand showed in the demon’s expression. Seulgi smiled bitterly. 

 

“I’m sorry,” was all the demon said and let go. There’s a lot of questions that are bugging Irene’s mind and one of which is why Seulgi felt familiar. But she pushed the thought in the back of her mind. What’s important now is to acquire reliable knowledge on their history especially her father’s death. 

 

Irene sheathed her sword and faced Wendy who immediately went in front of her to bow. “Thank you, your Majesty.” 

 

The princess’ eyes were cold, no emotions can be read. She was feared by many for that reason. “You were here all this time?”

 

“Yes. I couldn’t trust anyone in the kingdom anymore after the king died. Everything smelled fishy. I’m sorry for leaving without a word.” Irene was offended that her best friend didn’t trust her enough. But maybe she has a reason. 

 

Wendy saw the blood on Seulgi’s hands. Her best friend went near the demon, asking if Seulgi was okay. The demon merely sat on the pew, looking so out of it.  Irene didn’t understand why Wendy was being friendly with an enemy.

 

“It will heal. Please take her in. I’ll be outside, maybe it will be the best for the both of us.” Seulgi said who stood up, clutching her right wrist.

 

“I’d rather have you coming with us. Who knows what will you do,” Irene uttered, not even bothering to look at her. There was a silent nod. 

 

Then, Wendy led them down the archives. Irene was following at the back, behind Seulgi. Never leaving her attention from her.

 

 

What Seulgi said was the truth. But Irene was never remorseful for doubting. The remaining hours before dawn was spent reading. And Irene couldn’t get enough of it. She couldn’t believe it. Even her father had contributions to the collection. 

 

Irene doesn’t know why she have this natural pull to Seulgi. While investigating, she can’t stop glancing at the demon every now and then. The demon was fast asleep on a bed near the door. And every time that pass, her mind bugs her more and more about the demon. Nothing was written about the curse Seulgi mentioned nor Joohyun. Somehow, Irene was afraid to ask about it. It is most likely unrelated to her anyway. But she felt like she has the right to know.

 

It was already near dawn when Wendy told her the truth about her father’s death. Her father was poisoned on his bed. But no demon can do such thing from afar. No voodoo, black magic, or whatnot especially if the place is sacred. Their castle has been under enchantments for centuries already. According to history, it was built secretly by Holy Knights using white magic.

 

So that only means, the culprit is inside the kingdom. Maybe human since demons are close to powerless inside the castle.

 

It was inevitable that Irene will doubt everyone in the castle. Especially those who are closed to her father. Those who can access him easily. The servants? His father’s army? Her siblings? Her mother?

 

The knight massaged her forehead in frustration. She took a peek at the clock. It was time to go. “I better go. The order needs me. I shall send you a pigeon if I learned something useful.” Irene started equipping her gloves back. 

 

“Will you still continue your mission?” Irene has never thought about that. But after learning that what she believed were lies, it was inhumane to still kill demons. 

 

“We are all victims of this centuries long war. I must put a stop to it but not in the way I initially thought.” Wendy was relieved, satisfied with her answer. Once knowing the truth, it’s a sin to turn a blind eye. 

 

Her best friend stood up and bowed, “May the light of the Lord be with you always.” 

 

Irene hugged her. She missed her dearly. “You too,” she whispered.

 

They parted and Wendy resumed in putting the records back to its original place. When Irene looked at Seulgi’s side, she was no longer there. The door was left open. 

 

The knight climbed up and saw Seulgi seated in front of the altar. The candlelights were turned off. The demon was basking in the night, seeking comfort in the dark. And Irene saw her in a different light.

 

The knight stood in front of her and lent her right hand. Seulgi looked at it for a second and without question, held her with her right hand. The demon hissed a little for the action, completely forgetting about the wound. But the agitated expression relaxed when light appeared in their joint hands. Irene was healing her. 

 

“You were a chatterbox last night now you seem to be lost for words,” the knight initiated the conversation.

 

“There’s nothing left to say.” Seulgi simply said. “My purpose was done. I convinced you to listen.” 

 

“You and me both know there are a lot of questions unanswered.“ Irene let go of her healed hand. “And I’ll be back to seek answers for those especially about Joohyun.”

 

Seulgi tensed a little but immediately relaxed. There was a small polite smile on her face. “I don’t know if it’s for the best to let you know about her. I’ll think about it.”

 

Irene nodded and walked away. She had heavy steps like something was not right. The knight opened the door but before stepping out, she spoke, “Then, don’t die until I finally convince you to tell me about her.” 

 

Seulgi didn’t respond so Irene looked back at her. Eyes intensely looking at the other.

 

“Don’t die on me, Seulgi. That’s an order.” Irene sincerely said. She’s worried about Seulgi and she doesn’t know why. But for once, she also wanted to express her true self as a payment for Seulgi’s candor. 

 

Seulgi chucked lightly, “I knew you will say that.” There was a certain fondness in the demon’s eyes. Irene got déjà vu once again. 

 

“I promise I won’t. I will only die in your hands, Irene.” Seulgi lightheartedly offered her life. The knight didn’t bother asking how Seulgi knew her name. The demon is an enigma and she couldn’t wait to unravel it but first they must part ways.

 

Irene took the vow to heart and chuckled a little. She stepped out and closed the door. The knight was then back to reality and with a heavy heart she trudged back to the camp. Ready to go back home with a new purpose.