Chapter 4

Your Voice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie sluggishly dropped her back pack on the floor as soon as she had set foot inside her room at home, already finding her boyfriend, Jongin, sprawled out on the bed.

‘What are you doing here?’ she mumbled indifferently as she immediately started to change out of her school uniform into a pair of rugged-looking sweats and a tank top, not caring about his observing eyes.

‘I just wanted to see my girlfriend, what’s wrong with that?’ he shuffled closer to her on the mattress, sitting up expectantly.

‘You haven’t returned any of my calls and neither are you replying to my texts. Something wrong, Peaches?’

Rolling her eyes at the nickname Jongin had given her, Jennie crawled into bed right next to him, burying herself under her duvet without sparing him any answer.

What was wrong was that she was sick of talking.

Having had the teachers, the police and even some of her classmates ambush her about her best friend’s disappearance, words had simply become a dangerous thing.

And it wasn’t only that. It was also dealing with the emotional aspect of the whole situation.

Jennie missed Naeun terribly.

Not knowing what had happened to her, and if she was even still alive, were questions that were drilling deep, dark holes into her mind.

She needed answers, needed her best friend back, and for heaven’s sake, she just couldn't do it anymore. 

‘Come on...’ Jongin pulled the blanket away from her body and leaned over her, lightly pressing his lips against hers.

‘Hm? Relax a little. It'll get your mind off things.’ He started on her neck, the skin turning from to a dark pink within seconds.

But Jennie wasn’t having any of that.

‘ing stop!’ she pushed him off and sat up, glaring at him as she crossed her arms under her bust.

‘My best friend’s missing and all you care about is getting some. You ask what’s wrong with me? What the hell is wrong with YOU!’ she growled, seeing her boyfriend’s nostril’s flaring in annoyance.

‘Listen, Jennie,’ he hissed, sitting up as well to tell her face to face what was pissing him off.

‘I tried to be understanding! I called you, texted you, tried to distract you, but all you want to do is stay here and sulk! Do you think that’ll bring her back? Do you think, treating me like dirt will make up for it?’

Jennie hated to admit it, but she knew Jongin was right. He really had been trying to be there for her for the past three weeks.

And it wasn’t like it was his fault that Naeun had vanished.

But what was she to do?

The only trail the police had so far, was Naeun's discarded back pack in that alley behind the school, and an anonymous call to her parents, saying that the girl would only be returned alive, if they would follow any upcoming instructions.

They were still waiting for those said instructions though, and hadn’t heard anything in weeks.

‘I..I-I’m sorry..’ the words came out in a breathy mutter, her eyes casting down, as she reluctantly gave in.

‘It’s just that I feel guilty for being ok and happy with you, when I don’t even know where she is.’

Exhaling in defeat, Jongin shifted closer and hugged his girlfriend.

After all, he felt sorry for the whole ordeal and truly wanted nothing but to help her.

‘It’s gonna be ok, Peaches. I’m sure the police will find her.’ he rubbed his hand between her shoulder blades affectionately, soothing the crying girl.

~

Meanwhile, Naeun was sitting on the lone mattress as she pulled the blanket tighter around her body.

It was getting so much colder as they approached the winter season, the low temperatures starting to became rather obvious in the space where she was being held captive.

‘What is that you’re playing?’ she asked, referring to the instrument that her kidnapper was holding.

Taemin adjusted the guitar, that he’d brought back to the cottage in his lap and looked towards the blindfolded girl.

‘Nothing...Well, nothing yet. I’m working on making it into something.’ he sighed, playing a few more cords.

Naeun listened attentively, following the small repeated melody as it somehow calmed her nerves.

‘It’s beautiful.'

‘Is it? I was going for…melancholic.’ he admitted, scratching the back of his head with the guitar pick.

‘Hmm...Well, I still like it.'

Putting the instrument down, Taemin leaned back against the wall and thought for a second.

However,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter