Chapter 2

Drawing the line

A/N: Hello to anyone reading this :) So I have to admit I kinda just got the idea for the chapter and then I wrote it overnight and I didn’t think much of it lol anyway, I’ve then since had the time to think about what I wanted to do with this story and I’m happy to announce that I’ve pretty much got a very big (rough) picture drawn inside my head.

 

If you saw me change the title of this fic, no you didn’t <3 And if you read all of this, thank you. Enjoy the chapter and leave a comment at the end.

 


 

Eunji startles awake. Not sure what she’s just heard, or where she even is for that matter, she attempts to lift her head from the mattress. (Not her smartest idea to date, she realizes upon feeling like she’s been whacked across the head.) Namjoo walks into the bedroom, closing the door behind her and whispering an apology.

 

“Hayoung?” She grumbles.

 

“She told us she had a thing in the morning,” Namjoo reminds her friend.

 

Having no clue what she’s talking about, Eunji cuddles further into the blonde that’s spooning her, pushing her right into the other girl’s body. The girl hums and pulls her closer but doesn’t seem to wake up.

 

Stretching her arms out in Namjoo’s direction, the brunette orders “Come here.”

 

Namjoo does as she is told.

 

“What time is it?” Eunji asks, so hushed that the blonde isn’t sure she’s really awake anymore.

 

Even so, Namjoo tells her, “Early. Go back to sleep.”

 

She’s right. Plus, the headache will go away if she manages to sleep for a little longer.

 

A few minutes later, Namjoo hears Eunji’s breathing even out. Both of her friends are peacefully sleeping next to her.

 


 

When her alarm goes off, Eunji immediately reaches for her phone and turns it off - throwing the device somewhere behind herself, she frankly does not care. Next to her, a long-haired blonde slowly stirs awake. There is no sign of Namjoo in the bedroom, Eunji notes.

 

“Morning, Bbom.”

 

“Morning, Eunji,” the girl mumbles sleepily.

 

The brunette can hear chattering from the living room so, detangling herself from Bomi, she walks towards the noise.

 

Closing the bedroom door behind her, Eunji finds Namjoo sending all the boys on their way - not before kissing one of them on the lips.

 

Knowing the blonde all too well, Eunji decides not to comment. Instead, she simply waves the guys goodbye and thanks them for coming.

 

“Hey,” Namjoo greets. “Isn’t all of your stuff meant to be coming today?”

 

Nodding, Eunji yawns. They barely got any sleep and soon enough, they’ll have to clean up the mess they made last night. Not to mention, get the furniture in its new designated places.

 

Suddenly, Eunji can’t help but be thankful that she doesn’t have a lot of things in the first place. Not that the same can be said for Bomi, but they’ll manage. It’s what best friends do, they help. And Eunji plans on helping Bomi… That is, if the blonde asks for her help. Otherwise, Eunji is planning on taking a big fat nap once her bed is properly assembled in her new bedroom.

 

Eunji’s stomach growls. “Tell me about it,” Namjoo nods. “Let’s order something.”

 

“Yes,” the brunette practically drools at the suggestion.

 

Namjoo grabs her phone and begins to scroll through it. Not one minute later, she’s teasing Eunji. “What should I order for your girlfriend?”

 

There’s a very slim chance that the blonde is trying to pick a fight when she knows Eunji’s had about four hours of sleep. The more probable scenario is Namjoo’s only trying to mess with her, as friends do.

 

One thing a sleep deprived Jeong Eunji lacks, though, is humor. Also the patience to deal with Namjoo’s antics, but that could be said for about 75% of the time.

 

Because she’s gotta give as good as she gets, Eunji decides to quickly shut her up. “Why don’t we order her your girlfriend’s favorite?”

 

As expected, that does the trick. Namjoo rolls her eyes at her, muttering a nearly silent “I was only kidding,” before she goes back to ordering the three of them some food.

 

Meanwhile, a third girl joins them in the empty living room.

 

Eunji finds herself amused by the newly arrived presence. Yoon Bomi comes equipped with a sixth sense. Either that, or maybe she’s just a powerful witch who can sense it when her name is being uttered. Or perhaps it’s neither one nor the other, perhaps she’s just been hit by a guilty conscience thus making her decide to come out of hiding to help with the furniture.

 

Whatever it is, she has impeccable timing.

 

“Hey, Joo,” she waves to the other blonde. “Did Hayoung leave already?” Namjoo gives her a noncommittal nod and tries her best to act as though she is uninterested in the subject. Beside her, Eunji stops herself from chortling. She is letting it go, there is no point in creating an argument when they’ve just woken up. “It’s a shame, we could use an extra set of hands,” Bomi comments innocently, shrugging her shoulders.

 

Eunji can agree with her on that. That, and Hayoung is the strongest one out of the four of them - after Eunji, of course. That, and Namjoo is positively more pleasant to be around - that’s to say, easier to put up with - when Hayoung is present to keep her in check.

 

Alas, they will have to manage.

 

“How do you feel about tteokbokki?” Namjoo questions.

 

(That’s Hayoung’s go-to order.)

 


 

“I mean,” Chorong huffs for the third time in 5 minutes, “seriously? A party in the middle of the night? And- and, to think I called the cops on them? As if I’m the only person living in the building.”

 

It was 9 in the morning when Chorong arrived at Naeun’s. The black-haired girl had been ing from the moment she’d walked through her friend’s door. Knowing how the older girl gets when she doesn’t talk through things, Naeun simply allows her to blow off some steam. She listens to Chorong, the way the black-haired girl has done for her a thousand times before.

 

Naeun isn’t too great at the whole feelings thing, so comforting someone is definitely not her forte. Either way, it doesn’t actually matter, since she isn’t even sure that Chorong is listening to a word she says.

 

“I would’ve totally called the cops on them,” Naeun says, mostly to herself. “That, or I’d have Botong go over to their house. Kinda like that meme about keeping a big dog so no one will approach you, or whatever it is”

 

“That blonde girl was so annoying!” Chorong continues, clearly not listening to a word her friend is saying. “Who the hell does she think she is? Why is Eunji even friends with her?”

 

After realizing what she was in for, Naeun had settled comfortably on one side of her couch. Every now and then, she will drag Chorong into a sitting position next to herself and tell her to breathe. Mostly, though, the older girl is just pacing around her friend’s living room - not unlike a child who’s had way too much sugar.

 

“Who’s Eunji?”

 

“New neighbor,” Chorong supplies, before going back to her rant. “Have I not mentioned her? Actually, funny story. She hit on me… kinda.”

 

Quirking one eyebrow, the taller girl asks, “Kinda?”

 

“Okay, definitely,” Chorong admits. “She was drunk off her , though, so…” she trails off.

 

Indeed, people are most likely to offer their honest opinions when they are intoxicated. But that’s not a fact Naeun cares about. “Is she cute?” That’s what’s important to Naeun. At the moment, anyway.

 

“Are you asking if I was checking out a drunk girl?”

 

“It’s only weird when you put it so… matter-of-factly,” Naeun jokes. “But were you?”

 

“No!” The black-haired girl spits. Rolling her eyes, Chorong wills herself to remain calm. Another second goes by, before she adds, “No… Maybe?” The honesty in Chorong’s voice makes Naeun smirk a little, content to see her friend finally relax for the first time since she’s walked into her house. “It’s not what you’re thinking. I’d seen her before.”

 

“In your dreams?”

 

“You’re so annoying,” Chorong throws a pillow at her friend. “She’s that girl I thought my landlord was screwing just last week.”

 

Once again completely enthralled by the gossip Chorong was providing, Naeun’s mouth opens to form a perfect “O” as she prompts the other woman to keep going.

 

“That’s it, we didn’t really have much of a conversation to begin with.” Chorong finally sits on the couch and allows herself to lean back into the pillows.

 

“Life in your building just keeps getting more and more entertaining,” the taller girl observes.

 

“Do you wanna move in?” Sticking her tongue out, Chorong quips.

 

The offer brings out a giggle from Naeun, who gets up from the couch and starts walking towards the kitchen. “Maybe another time.” The sudden movement causes confusion to flash on Chorong’s face, making Naeun explain to her that she’s going to get them both some coffee so they’ll be wide awake once they start debating some ideas regarding their work.

 

Mindful of Chorong’s lack of sleep, as well as her general irritability, Naeun looks for the strongest instant coffee she’s got around the house and quickly brings a small pot of water to a boil. While she waits for the water to turn hot, she fetches two mugs from a cupboard and deposits the powdered coffee mix in them - one for each mug.

 

Once the coffee is ready, she grabs the mugs and heads back to the room where she left her friend only to find that the older girl has fallen asleep on the couch.

 

“I was gone for 3 minutes…” she sighs.

 

Keeping one of the mugs to herself, Naeun goes back into the kitchen to dispose of the hot liquid in the other mug. Before returning to Chorong, she goes into her bedroom and searches for a blanket to cover her friend with.

 

Judging by the position she’s sleeping in, Naeun can only assume there will be more complaining once she wakes up - albeit for an entirely different reason. “Still, at least she’ll be warm,” Naeun shrugs.

 


 

Fixing the pillows one last time, Bomi contemplates the scene before her. The blonde twists her head to the left, then to the right, before humming to herself. She’s satisfied with her work. “It’s done,” she shouts into the apartment.

 

“It’s done?” A voice repeats from somewhere outside her room.

 

Seconds later, two girls come rushing into her bedroom and Bomi is tackled to the bed she just spent the past 20 minutes making. “Hey, I just fixed that,” she huffs, air swept out of her lungs. Despite herself, she laughs at her friends’ silliness. It’s as if they’re 18 again.

 

Namjoo rolls off of the blonde and Eunji does the same, allowing for Bomi to catch her breath. “It looks good, Bbom,” Eunji comments.

 

“And you did everything by yourself!” Namjoo adds, not bothering to hide the little hint of surprise from her voice.

 

Not impressed by the remark, Bomi jabs her friend in the ribs before spitting, “I can clean up just fine… I simply choose not to.”

 

“Well, if you’re done,” Eunji says. “Then, we’re done. The house is officially ready.”

 

Namjoo applauds in celebration. “I love the new house! Not a big fan of your neighbor, though,” she admits, the mere thought of the woman in question aggravating her.

 

“Who?”

 

“It’s crazy how your drunken habits have not changed over the years, Bomi.”

 

The remark catches Eunji by surprise, because it’s so accurate, and she has to cover to keep from laughing. That would’ve turned her friend’s mood sour.

 

Bomi is the type to drink a lot. Unfortunately for the blonde girl, she does not always stomach it too well. There are degrees to how bad it usually gets, and there are several variables to take into account also. Mostly, if she has a full stomach, it isn’t too bad. Thankfully, Bomi likes food. She’s not too big a fan of cooking (though she will cook, if she absolutely has to) but she definitely enjoys eating. The problem is when, for whatever stupid reason she will have at the time, she forgoes eating. At the end of the day, Yoon Bomi is a petite girl. Although she is athletic, she is also slim. Which, much to her chagrin, means that (more often than not) she will be passed out very early into pretty much any gathering she may attend.

 

“Meaning?”

 

The blonde girl quirks an eyebrow in Namjoo’s direction, already sensing where the conversation is going. It’s not fair that she always misses out on the drama.

 

It isn’t Namjoo that replies to her, however. “Well, you remember beer pong?” Eunji asks. Nodding her head, Bomi tries to picture the previous night. Blue cups, red cups. Disgusting beer that kept getting more and more unbearable with each sip. Yes, she definitely remembers that. “After that you had a lot of beer. Like, a lot.”

 

“And then, in regular Yoon Bomi fashion,” Namjoo adds, “you started stripping and calling out for Eunji.”

 

Although that last part is, in fact, usual drunk behavior for Bomi, it never stops being embarrassing. She’ll admit it was cute when she started doing it in college (without really being aware of it, at first, until she was called out on it) but she’s almost 30 now. The blonde scolds herself for her lack of control. “Did I do anything…?” she trails off, not willing to ask exactly what she wants to know. Instead, she avoids looking directly at Eunji and hopes Namjoo will understand what she means.

 

“Hayoung and I just put you to bed,” the other blonde informs her.

 

Bomi nods, thankful.

 

“Come to think of it,” Namjoo turns her attention towards the brunette, pointing an accusatory finger at her, “you were gone by the time we finished getting her to sleep.”

 

“Right,” Eunji drags out. “About that… I went to our neighbor’s,” she informs the two girls sitting on the bed with her.

 

Not unlike her best friend, Eunji also has a very specific drinking habit. Rather than saying the brunette turns affectionate, it would be more correct to say she turns into a kisser. She likes to kiss people. Not necessarily in a romantic way (though, it generally is a kiss on the lips), and not necessarily members of the same gender (though, it generally is just girls).

 

Because of this, she knows exactly what is going through Namjoo’s mind when she admits to having gone to her neighbor’s house the previous night.

 

“You totally went and kissed your new hot neighbor,” Namjoo concludes, with very little shock to her voice.

 

“Wait, you did?” Bomi asks, all studied nonchalance.

 

Before she realizes what she’s doing, Eunji has placed a hand on Bomi’s thigh as a sign of reassurance. “No,” she tells the other girl. As suddenly as the contact is initiated, it is equally as fastly terminated. “And didn’t you just say you don’t like her?” She turns towards Namjoo.

 

“I don’t,” Namjoo reiterates. “It’s not like I don’t have eyes, though… Her makeup was flawless and her clothes were expensive, too. It’s obvious she knows how to clean up.” The minute she closes , Namjoo notices two pairs of eyes glued to her. The blonde just knows they are biting their tongues to keep from teasing her. “Anyway,” she quickly adds, voice higher than it was a minute ago, “she has an enormous stick up her so what I said still stands.”

 

“Sure,” Bomi nods, a goofy grin on her face. “Ugh, I can’t believe I missed all the fun. I am never getting drunk again!”

 

“Sure,” Eunji mimics what Bomi has just said to Namjoo, definitely not believing a word that’s out of her best friend’s mouth when it comes to quitting booze.

 

She will admit, though, Bomi looks cute when she pouts.

 

“Don’t let us stop you, though. Drop by right now,” Namjoo suggests. “No time like the present.”

 

Namjoo isn’t being serious, Bomi knows this. And it is because she knows this, that she actually keeps feeding the subject. “And say what?”

 

“Well, since you asked. I, for one, would love to know why she called the cops on us last night.”

 

(So maybe Namjoo holds grudges.)

 

“She called the police on us? The police were here?” Bomi questions, evidently unaware of that fact.

 

“Right, you were probably out by then,” Eunji chimes. “In her defense, we were probably being really obnoxious and loud.”

 

In her defense? Why would she need to be defended?

 

Dismissing the situation with a wave of her hand, “It was fine, though. I just showed the cop a little cleavage and he was off,” Namjoo says.

 

“Gross,” the brunette squirms.

 

The blonde shrugs, once more. “You know men…”

 

In reality, no. Eunji does not know men. But she doesn’t care to, the same way she doesn't care to press the subject. After all, she is not interested. If she doesn’t question Namjoo, then the conversation ends there. That’s exactly what she plans on doing.

 

“If you ask me, Chorong seemed perfectly nice. I’m actually thinking of going over there later and apologizing to her, again.”

 

“Chorong?”

 

“Again?”

 

It was obvious they were going to give Eunji for the remark she’d just made.

 

“Okay, one.” Eunji rolls her eyes, before explaining. “Chorong is her name. And two, I went there to apologize last night after someone,” she glares directly at Namjoo, “almost made a huge mess and got us into trouble with the landlord on our first night here.”

 

In response to the accusation, Namjoo recoils a little in embarrassment. Sometimes she forgets her manners and she takes her friends for granted, since they’re more than used to her behavior. She forgets, however, that not everyone is.

 

“What the hell?” Bomi startles at the mention of their landlord. “You’re apologizing.”

 

“Nuh-uh.”

 

“Yuh-uh,” the blonde teases back. “You know how hard we worked to rent this place, we are not getting into anyone's bad graces.”

 

Try as she may, Namjoo could never argue with that. More than anyone, she knows how hard they’ve worked (how hard all of them have worked) so they could finally move to a bigger, better place.

 

What’s more, the blonde plans on regularly frequenting Eunji and Bomi’s house so it would do her no good to mess that up for herself. Or their crew.

 

Finally, she begrudgingly agrees to apologize and suggests calling Hayoung over to bake. “That way, we’ll have something to show her just how sorry we are. A peace offering,” she comments.

 


 

Chorong takes pride in all the healthy habits she’s learned to practice over the years. She started out with small things - reducing her daily intake of coffee, deciding to exercise more often, or simply opting to take the bus into work instead of driving her car. Surely enough, she managed to get to a point where it’s now all just part of her routine. Habits she cannot do without.

 

Another habit of hers is going to sleep early and making sure she is generally well rested. So, not having been able to sleep definitely messes with her routine. Falling asleep when the sun has already been up for hours? Not her proudest moment. The fact that she fell asleep on her friend’s couch (of all places) only serves to make things worse. It’s frankly embarrassing.

 

“Naeun, I am so sorry,” she apologizes, again. “And thank you so much for driving me home.” On a weekend, too. Naeun is a saint.

 

What upsets her the most is that she could possibly be disturbing Naeun. Yes, discussing work is important. And they absolutely need to get it done as soon as possible, especially if they’re going to launch their new project on time. They’re on a tight schedule. Now, if Chorong knows this, how could she have allowed herself to fall asleep?

 

“I heard you the first eight times,” Naeun teases. “And stop doing that thing with your face,” the brunette gestures towards the frown that’s all over her friend’s face. “This project means as much to me as it does to you. You know I would give up sleep if it meant we could fix everything today.”

 

Chorong winces, making Naeun add, “Poor choice of words, sorry.”

 

The good thing about Chorong’s way-too-big-just-for-herself-apartment is that it has loads of storage space. And usually, things are fairly clean and organized - save for a few times when it’s almost time to launch a new clothing line. In those cases, Chorong is often running on a combo of barely enough sleep and definitely more than enough of coffee. She’s organized but she’s also human, flawed. Give her a break.

 

It’s hard to say who came up with the idea for a sports clothing line. Chorong had been obsessed with all things fitness after taking up pilates at her local gym. Naeun, however, had discovered she looked hot in Adidas leggins - thus deciding she needed to replicate those for her own brand. Credit is not something they argue over, thankfully. They’re all about love, support and further developing each other’s ideas.

 

Both Chorong and Naeun worked a lot of overtime for this project. Naeun designed and Chorong sewed, as usual. This project is their latest creation, their baby, and they’re so excited for it.

 

Except…

 

Why is it so hard to find someone who will model their clothes?

 

After seeing the girls looking so down, especially knowing exactly how hard they’d work towards completing their latest project, Botong offered to get “a couple of buddies” to model their clothes. It was a sweet offer, Naeun’s boyfriend was kind. Regardless, Chorong and Naeun’s business prides itself on its testosterone-free environment.

 

They’ve considered, on multiple occasions, designing men’s clothes as well as women’s. It’s never really evolved past that. They’re happy with the work they do. This may be a man’s world, but they can (and they will) fight to change that. Every day, every project they put out there, they are doing just that.

 

Unfortunately, time is money. Which means that the more time they lose, the more money they lose as well. And sometimes, especially if they’re particularly tired, despair and panic will kick in - making them say things they wouldn’t even think of, otherwise.

 

“Maybe we should just take Botong up on his offer and design a men’s line,” Chorong sighs, surrounded by multiple drawings and fabric samples on her living room table.

 

“No,” Naeun says, no real harshness in her tone. “We just need to find someone who fits the concept… Actually, scratch that. At this point, I feel like if they were able to pull off the clothes then I would gladly pass on the whole “fitting the concept” part.” She uses her fingers to mimic air quotes, bringing a smile to Chorong’s face.

 

“Do you think this is the end of our business?”

 

No, she does not. Naeun means to tell her friend as much, but the doorbell going off prevents her from doing so.

 

The sound has Chorong taking a very deep, calming breath. “Should I get that for you?” Naeun questions.

 

Already rubbing at her temples to prevent a headache from forming, the black-haired girl nods.

 

She’s not expecting anyone and it’s a weird time to be getting any deliveries (not that she ordered anything), so she has a very rough guess regarding who could be at her door.

 

“If the person on the other side of that door is a blonde, do not open it,” she instructs.

 

On any other day, Chorong would’ve never shied away from a good confrontation. She’s a firm believer in those - how else would she get past conflicts and misunderstandings?

 

Today, Park Chorong is taking a day off from any and all confrontations.

 

The black-haired girl folds in on herself and hides further into her own living room, hoping Naeun will get rid of the unwanted guest.

 

No such luck. In mere minutes, her friend is at her side, “They want us to come over for cookies.”