Ilang-Ilang

Midnight Summer Dream

 

Winter blinks once and twice. Karina asked her a question but she just can’t push herself to respond immediately. It seems everyone is starting to get confused as well. Winter sees Ryujin and Yeji eyeing her with concern and confusion. Winter huffs in an attempt to gather herself. Nice one, nerd. Winter thinks. She gives out a little laugh. “Sorry, I just remembered where we could have met,” She says, trying hard not to show that she was actually rattled. “You almost ran me over this morning.” Winter sees Karina’s eyes widen and suddenly becomes apologetic. Winter shakes her head, sincerely laughing this time.

“It was my fault,” She says. “I ran into… some… dogs.” She makes an excuse. 

“But still, I’m sorry. I was also in a bad mood,” Karina answers. Her friends are carefully observing the interaction. Giselle looks impressed with how Karina easily talks with Winter. 

 

Meanwhile, the women are not aware of the turmoil inside Winter. She may look like she has calmed down, but inside, a thunderstorm is brewing. Winter smells the sweet, flowery smell. As Karina smiles at her, she is transported back to her dream with the surroundings being a dull chiaroscuro while Karina is painted pastel. Winter feels safe and that… scares her. Names, Winter, she remembers her grandmother says. Names give you a different perspective. The woman in front of her was merely a strange character from her dream. Now, she is Karina Yoo.

 

From the distance, Winter’s squad senses her unease. Yizhuo takes the responsibility to take Winter away. “Hey, Cold Season,” she calls. Winter snaps out of her thoughts and smiles at her best friend. Yizhuo did not buy the facade. She knows Winter is close to having a panic attack. “Yuki was looking for you. She said it’s time you guys play Sudoku.” Yizhuo turns to the people at the table. 

“Hey, Ning,” Ryujin greets. “Guys, this is Yizhuo, she’s in the Music Society and the BioSoc as well.” Yizhuo flashes her million-dollar smile that easily charms and disarms people – especially one Giselle Uchinaga. 

“You remember my best friend Lia,” Yeji points at the young woman with puffy cheeks. Yizhuo smiles widely while waving at Lia. “This one’s Chaeryeong, Yeji’s bloc mate.” Ryujin points at the fair girl with distinct ears. Yizhuo and Winter find it adorable. 

“Of course, you know my annoying cousin,” Ryujin announces.

“Hi, I’m Yuna, in case you forgot!” Yuna says. Yizhuo laughs. “How can I ever forget you, Yuna?” Ryujin rolls her eyes at the exchange and continues to introduce the last two girls. “Right beside Winter is Karina.” She says.

“Oh,” Yizhuo says. “The famous Karina Yoo? A pleasure. I’m sure Winter thinks so, too.” She ends her sentence with a wink to the now glaring Winter. 

“Lastly,” Ryujin says. “This is Giselle, president of the college student council of the College of Economics.” Giselle raises her glass of sangria and winks at Yizhuo. Winter’s best friend smiles at this.

 

“Sorry but I have to borrow Winter,” Yizhuo announces. “The nerds are having a party and they want her with them.” She shrugs. Winter hears a chorus of goodbyes as Yizhuo drags her back to their table.

“Okay, so what was that?” Chaein asks, always straight-to-the-point.

“If I don’t know you better, Winter, I think you just had your gay panic moment,” Ireh says and everyone laughs but eventually dies down when they see Winter still serious. 

“H-hey, Minjeong, you’re starting to scare me,” Keonhee says. Winter lets out a breath and allows herself to be hit by anxiety. Yizhuo was quick to let her sit down while Dongju grabbed a bottle of water.

“Thanks,” Winter says. She blew out a deep breath once again. “Remember when I told you about the other lady from the dream?” She asks.

“The one with the beautiful, sharp eyes. What about it?” Yizhuo asks.

“Holy ,” Dongju exclaims rather too loudly. He then leans and whispers. “Is that lady... Karina?” He asks. Winter nods and her friends gasped audibly. It is almost comedic if the situation is different. 

“Oh my god,” Dongju says. “I was so right. The ghost really brought you to Karina.” Dongmyeong slaps his twin as if to remind him that now is not the time. 

“So, what happened there?” Yizhuo asks, expression completely serious.

 

Winter drank from the bottle once again and leaned on the chair. “I smelled a sweet, flowery scent,” She begins. Her friends look at each other and give their full attention to her. “It was weird because none of you smelled it. Ilang-ilang. That was the specific smell.

“Unlike other instances when a supernatural entity makes itself known to me or wants my attention, the smell provides me with comfort.

“There were countless spirits in this area earlier. Outside and here inside. But there were none when she was around,” Winter says. She sees Keonhee shivering. She smiles a little and continues her story. 

“When Ryujin introduced me to Karina, I was reminded of my dream. It was vivid, it felt like I was there again.

“The difference is that… Karina is in full pastel colors,” She concludes. She looks at her friends who are understandably dumbfounded. “You guys looks stupid,” Winter says and laughs. 

“That is… interesting,” Yizhuo says. Chaein looks at where Karina and her friends are sitting and then looks at Winter. “How come you guys are chummy already?” She asks.

“Chummy?” Winter asks back. “I don’t know. She asked me how we met and I told her that she almost ran me over earlier.”

“Aren’t you a bit curious as to what these dreams are trying to tell you?” Keonhee asks.

“Aren’t they pretty straightforward?” Winter, again, asks back.

“Winter, stop answering our questions with another question!” Yizhuo reprimands, acting as if she’s going to smack her best friend. 

 

The gang was silent for a few minutes while a performer was singing some jazz tunes on the stage. “What if we consult Grandmother Cookie regarding that?” Ireh suggests.

“Grandmother Cookie?” Winter asks. Ireh nods. “She is the old woman that I was talking to you about. My new boss.”

“Is that really her name? Grandmother Cookie? Cute.” Dongju and Dongmyeong nod at what Keonhee says. 

“Nah, that’s not her real name,” Chaein interjects. “You know how this gives random nicknames to people? She named her Grandmother Cookie because she’s…” Chaein gestures in her head with her fingers moving in a circular motion. “She’s kooky. Get it?” Ireh laughs out loud when Chaein finishes her sentences while the rest of them reprimanded her.

“But seriously, Winter,” Ireh turns serious. “It doesn’t hurt to ask for help.” Winter smiles and nods. She allows herself to look back at Karina’s table. To her surprise, she sees her looking in her direction. Karina smiles at her and she feels herself blush. She offers a small smile and brings her attention back to her friends.

“I saw that,” Chaein says. Yizhuo and Ireh laugh with her which made Winter roll her eyes.

 

It was exactly 1 in the morning when Geonhak’s band finished performing and formally closed the music fest. Winter is in relatively high spirits. It is always amazing to see her cousin’s band perform. As she helps Jieun pack up her synthesizers, she notices that Ryujin and Yeji are saying their goodbyes to the people of the organization. Karina is no longer in sight. Winter feels slightly disappointed. What? She asks herself.

 

Winter blinks for a bit and as soon as she opens her eyes, she sees random spirits re-occupying their space in the building. “You okay there?” Jieun says as soon as she said goodbye to her sister and her girlfriend. Winter nods and smiles. She hands over Jieun’s synths and guitar which the latter says thanks.

“Hey, Geonhak, Youngjo,” Jieun calls. “Eunsong and I are carpooling with Gunmin. I have a meeting at 7 later.” She waves at her bandmates and pinches Winter’s cheeks as she says goodbye. 

“Give me a minute,” Geonhak says. “I’ll just say my thanks to Peniel-hyung.”

“Let’s wait by the fire exit, Minjeong.” Youngjo says. Winter nods and follows her cousin, bringing along Geonhak’s guitar. She and Youngjo talk about everything while waiting for their older cousin – Pokemon, games, and whatever they think of. 

 

Sometimes, Winter wishes that they still have the privilege of just being cousins and enjoying each other’s company freely. The Kim clan is a dysfunctional clan. Winter’s grandfather was involved in a scandal that resulted in the death of his brother. This caused a rift between two Kim families. The responsibility of tying the two families together fell on Winter’s older sister Taeyeon. Although their generation keeps their contact with each other, they have to tiptoe against the adults. 

 

It took Geonhak ten minutes to finish talking to Peniel. He meets his cousins by the fire exit and grabs his guitar that Winter is obviously having difficulties with. “What are you two talking about?” He asks as he puts his arm around his little cousin’s shoulders. The three of them walk through the night with just small talks. Winter realizes it’s the first time in years that they have been together like this.

“Yongsun-noona was supposed to come,” Geonhak says. “Peniel-hyung invited her but she says she’s mastering an album.”

“How come you didn’t ask her instead?” Winter asks.

“I know she is busy. The last time we talked was last week. She has been asking about you, too.” Geonhak explains. The two of them hear a buzz coming from Youngjo’s phone.

“It’s Dahyun,” Youngjo explains. “She’s asking if Winter is with us now.”

“Does she know?” Winter slowly asks, barely looking at her cousins. “Do you want her to know?” Geonhak asks back. Winter slowly shakes her head. “I don’t want Taeyeon-unnie to know.” The boys nodded, understanding that the communication line within cousins is swift and any information regarding Winter or any of the younger generation easily reaches Taeyeon.

“That’s alright, Minjeong,” Youngjo says.

“It’ll be our little secret for now,” Geonhak concludes.