Final

It's not a concussion—no really, it's not

Have you ever had an encounter so embarrassing you just wanted the earth to swallow you whole that very second?

 

Well, multiply that to a hundred ‘cause Donghae’s got it worse.

 

“Oh my god, are you okay? Do you want to sit down for a bit? You hit your head pretty hard.” 

 

God, I know I’ve been praying for someone to come into my life but why’d it have to be through this scenario. Donghae’s forehead is throbbing like crazy but his mind is focused on the soft halo glowing from the handsome stranger’s soft dark brown locks. Oh my god, he’s adorable too.

 

He’s been dumbly staring at the kind, attractive stranger for a few seconds now, it’d seem like he actually does need to get checked at the hospital. So to stop further embarrassing himself, he wills his brain to command his lips to reassure the kind, attractive stranger that he’s indeed fine.

 

It doesn’t quell the worry written on the stranger’s face but at least the knit between his eyebrows has loosened a bit. “Are you sure? You have a really red spot on your forehead, I could get you an ice pack, maybe? Just so the bump wouldn’t be as big later.”

 

Donghae’s lost count on the number of times he’s thanked God or whoever has allowed this literal angel to grace his afternoon, albeit the situation they’re in is definitely up for debate.

 

However, truthfully speaking, there’s no one else to blame but Donghae for getting himself in this situation. 



 

There was a skip in Donghae’s steps, being granted a half-day from work would do that to you. It’s been so long since he left work early, an hour and a half after lunch no less. But there’s a really good reason for being busy though. Donghae’s recently been promoted as senior advertising manager, and although he’s elated with the promotion, the sudden increase in workload and responsibilities are still a bit overwhelming. And being the diligent worker that he is, Donghae naturally puts his best foot forward and welcomes the responsibility with open arms. 

 

Now that it’s been three and half months since the promotion, Donghae’s finally complacent enough to ask for a much-deserved half-day from work. In fact, his strict dedication has earned him praises and even an additional leave until Monday. So guess who’s excited for his long weekend?

 

There’s literally nothing that could dampen Donghae’s mood. Nothing.

 

Except maybe a metal pole hitting dead center on his forehead.

 

Donghae’s so used to seeing his way home veiled in darkness that walking under the harsh and blinding light of the afternoon sun feels so foreign. One moment, he’s methodically ducking under the lower end of the metal street sign that’s always showcasing the latest promos, the next he’s hearing this dull ringing thud that may have (highly likely) physically shaken his brain inside his skull. 

 

The last time Donghae’s hit his head this hard was when he was playing soccer in high school. And when he was reminiscing those times playing in the field, this particular aspect of the sport was far from what he missed the most. 

 

It’s a good thing he still has his quick reflexes, his right hand immediately grabs the nearest pole to have something to anchor himself and not fall flat on his back. ‘It’s a good thing lunch break is over or that would have been embarrassing.’

 

“Oh my god, are you okay? Do you want to sit down for a bit? You hit your head pretty hard.” 

 

He really should stop speaking too soon.



 

“That’s okay, I wouldn’t want to be a bother. What if you’re the one needed elsewhere?” Donghae’s finally gotten his head on straight, his forehead is still throbbing but at least the signals he’s trying to send his brain are already being received and relayed to the other parts of his body. 

 

“I really could wait with you until you’re good to go, I was just going to kill time at a cafe while I waited for my pet dog at the groomers.” interestingly, he’s really concerned and apprehensive about leaving Donghae alone, for a stranger that’s witnessed another stranger accidentally conk his head on a street sign. There is still good in this world after all, and it comes in the form of an incredibly attractive stranger. 

 

In the end, after another minute of convincing (and because he secretly does want to), Donghae agrees to join the stranger at the cafe right across the street. Though there’s a blooming red patch on his forehead, Donghae couldn’t give an ounce of care, not when he’s blessed with a sight to behold. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that the stranger looks even better bathed in the afternoon sun. It’s shameless, really, to be openly staring at the kind stranger that didn’t think twice to offer you help. Heck, his friends surely wouldn’t even hesitate to obnoxiously laugh at his misfortune first. But then again, that’s what friends do, right?

 

“I’ll go order for us and ask for some ice as well for your head, did you have any specific requests or is iced americano okay?”

 

Oh, uhm—thank you. Yes, iced americano is okay. Here’s my share—” before Donghae could reach into his back pocket, the stranger is already stopping his movements with a gentle hand on Donghae’s forearm. There’s a kind smile on the stranger’s face as he gently shakes his head, telling Donghae to go find them a table and that he could pay him there instead. Now, how am I supposed to say no to that?

 

This feels so surreal. Donghae’s contemplating slapping his cheek once, maybe twice, just to see if he’s dreaming but he wouldn’t want to worry the stranger even further. Also, he’s got to know the stranger’s name so he could thank him properly (that and he’d like to maybe get to know him better, but mostly the first reason).

 

Since there’s barely any customer in the cafe aside from them, the stranger arrives at their table not long after Donghae sat down. “I hope you like cake, I got one for myself and it’ll feel awkward to be the only one eating.” yet another kind gesture from the stranger but Donghae instead focuses on the nervous giggle the stranger lets out. It takes all the willpower his brain can muster to prevent himself from outwardly cooing. “Also, here’s an ice pack for your forehead. The redness is now becoming noticeable and I hope this brings it down for now.”

 

“Thank you,” Donghae brings the ice pack wrapped in a thin towel to his forehead, he bites back the wince threatening from his lips as the ice pack comes in contact with his mildly throbbing forehead, “for the ice pack and the cake. You really didn’t have to, you’re so kind and we don’t even know each other’s names” Nice, very smooth.

 

“You know for someone who just hit their head pretty hard against solid metal, flirting should be the least of your concerns.” when Donghae hears the playful lilt of the stranger’s voice, relief floods his whole system. Honestly, that’s about the extent of Donghae’s ‘flirting’ skills—he’s kind of an awkward sack like that. 

 

“You caught me, but really though, thank you for your kindness. You not laughing at me is already enough, how are you able to do that anyway? Do you not have a sense of humor?” 

 

“It’s not that, I just know what it feels like to run into a metal pole. I’m really clumsy, I’ve had a fair share of accidents just as painful and embarrassing as what happened to you.” it’s a good thing Donghae has something in his hand to squeeze on because the embarrassed look on the stranger’s face partnered with the lovely blush blooming from his neck is too much for Donghae’s weak heart to handle. “It’s Hyukjae by the way, my name.”

 

Ah, and there it is. Donghae’s officially ascended. Lord I’m comin’ up, let me give you a big smooch.

 

“Nice to meet you, Hyukjae. My name’s Donghae, and before you ask—no, I don’t go around knocking my forehead on street poles in hopes of meeting cute strangers.” right as the words leave his lips, Hyukjae laughs unabashed. His whole face scruches up cutely that his eyes turn to adorable crescents and all his pearly whites are on display. “Oh my god, I don’t know how to respond to that. Are you sure you don’t have a concussion?”

 

“It’s not a concussion—no really, it’s not. If it was, then I guess it’d make sense that I’m seeing an angel.”

 

“Really smooth there, mhm, nice. Calling me an angel? That’s so original.” 

 

“Okay, I’ll have to admit that was cringy coming from me. I’m not really good with flirting, I just really wanted to know your name.”

 

Well, definitely not the most original strat but you did get to know my name. I’d still consider that as a win.” 

 

Hyukjae’s response couldn’t have been any better that it forces out a chuckle from Donghae. What a day, Donghae thinks to himself as he and Hyukjae seamlessly fall into casual conversation. Hyukjae’s face is still flushed from the cheesy lines Donghae’s thrown his way but he pays it no mind. He obviously enjoyed the exchange with the other, so there’s no use hiding he’s also interested in Donghae.

 

Their impromptu hangout (but secretly Donghae’s already counting it as a date) gets cut short when Hyukjae gets a notification from the groomers that Hwan (his adorable brown and black Shiranian) is already done and ready to go home. They both part ways at the entrance of the cafe, there’s no denying from the smiles on their faces that this won’t be a one-time thing. 

 

Donghae begins to walk away once he sees that Hyukjae’s safely crossed the street, waving one last goodbye at the stranger-turned-acquaintance. Not for long, hopefully. His optimism stems from the new number saved in his contacts under ‘Hyukjae’. Donghae’s so tempted to put an angel emoji right after the name but he doesn’t want to jinx himself, even if Hyukjae’s clearly expressed his interest. 

 

“I can’t wait to tell the guys.” he says to no one in particular. There’s a hundred percent chance that his friends are all going to make fun of him, they certainly won’t let him live this embarrassing moment down. Not that it really matters. His clumsy self met an attractive stranger because of his clumsiness, who would’ve thought? Donghae certainly didn’t. 


Thank god for surprises, indeed.