pretty miss witch

bewitched

 

ningning, a royal descendant, a vexatious princess who absolutely loathes being confined within the satiny walls of the castle, has been... pitifully detained. she abhors being stuck in one place, it's suffocating. ningning is someone who values freedom and being a princess grants her everything but that. 

 

though behind rusted metal bars laced with powerful arcane magic nonetheless, for some bizarre reason, doesn't invoke any form of panic or terror from the blonde princess. she's eminently calm, curious at most, even more so intrigued. her senses tell her she should be scared— terrified even, but really, how is that at all possible when her captor is beautiful beyond description?

 

nevermind that the woman who stood metres away from her cell — back facing her, possibly brewing up some concoction screaming death for her to consume — is a witch, she is a graceful one at that.

 

"for a witch, you sure are pretty."

 

thus, ningning is hardly to blame for her toe-curling advances toward the witch. 

 

"shut it." although... not so fruitful at the moment, ningning isn't one to give in so easily. a lovely trait from her queen of a mother, and now instead of attending to draining ballroom dances and pointless masquerade parties, she's behind bars in a witch's cottage deep in the heart of the dreamy forest.

 

"bewitching might i add." and addtionally throwing futile advances to the 'pretty miss witch' shamelessly. 

 

ningning figured all those etiquette lessons were a waste from the beginning anyway. 

 

you don't need that in adventure!

 

as far as ningning knows, she might have just been hastening her demise with every nonsense of a flirt that comes flying out of . she could patently see how the witch flinched at her shameless words, shoulders cringing as she dry-heaves.

 

(ningning thought she was pretty witty with that one though.)

 

her eyes shift to her brown thoroughbred — ddoongie — imprisoned in a bigger cell opposite of her, beady ebony eyes glaring at the witch who unfortunately, could care less and disregarded him. 

 

winter, a young witch, despite her lean frame — which most unscrupulous invidivuals would underestimate — unknowingly possesses just enough power to conquer half a kingdom, if she wanted to. (she finds no meaning in that though.)

 

when she whirls around, her straight raven tresses in a half ponytail follow, cascading down sharp shoulders and framing her small porcelain face gracefully. the black cauldron in the stone fire place bubbles slowly in the corner, bottles of potions in variegated colours lined up on the wooden table she was tinkering on a second ago.

 

knitted brows, pink lips pursing with annoyance, brilliant hazel eyes full of contempt, yet ningning couldn't tear her gaze away from a face so stunning it tingles her skin. 

 

winter goes back to brewing, not forgetting to give the princess one last scowl. ningning reads it as another cue to open yet again, corners of her lips already rising.

 

"pretty miss witch~ you seem to have dropped something."

 

"what?" winter instantly turns, eyes falling to the ground as she looks around for anything she allegedly dropped. 

 

"your beauty." ningning coyly replies, giggling with her face between the cold bars, rosy cheeks squished.

 

it stuns winter at most, lips twitching as she looks at the princess, detest reflecting in her eyes. the regret of holding the princess captive (which was meant to be a lesson for trespassing and thievery) is building up, not because she was scared of being in pursuit by the entire kingdom, but solely because this young woman couldn't stop running her loud mouth. 

 

it's hard to believe this... dunce is the descendant of the throne.

 

"will you shut your trap or shall i do it for you?" winter dauntingly stomps towards the cell, an index finger firmly pointing at the peculiar princess. the white ring rimmed in gold hugging her middle finger abruptly glows, though it only fascinates the speechless princess.

 

winter frowns, face slowly churning in disgust— revolted when she realised that the closer she is to the princess, the wider the grin on the princess' face.

 

goodness, that is far from the look of fear i am used to.

 

was that admiration in her eyes? winter crinkles her nose, her insides feeling agitated out of the blue. the princess is about to be her first fear. 

 

.

 

flirtings after flirtings, eerie sweet smiles thrown at her and after being flustered for countless of times, winter is reaching her breaking point. if it weren't for her being royalty and literally the princess, winter would have long put a permanent silence spell on ningning to save her poor ears.

 

for a royalty descending to the throne, it would be a huge hindrance and an object of scorn. and to rule, you first require a voice. so to her dismay, winter tossed that idea aside, knowing it would be too dire of a punishment for a princess.

 

ningning watches with increasing boredom as the pretty witch pours a viscous bright yellow substance into spherical glass bottles. she liked the witch, but she wasn't intending on staying locked up for eternity. 

 

within the time she was caged, ningning had long memorised the interior of the witch's dwelling. the place itself nests in a mirth of grass, flowering vines crawling up the walls and rooftop. strangely enough, the witch's cottage felt cozy. the colour of life occupies most of her vision, one glance and anyone would know that the witch had a green thumb. 

 

the legendary white witch, just as told in tales, practiced white magic after all, having the knowledge and ability of remarkable healing. nature being her primary element. though, in truth, ningning expected the said witch to have more of a soft and benevolent personality to match her elegant powers.

 

she donned a pastel pink dress embroidered with intricate crystals and gems along the collar, gleaming silver pendants worth probably thousands loosely hanging around her graceful swanlike neck.

 

or at least the heavenly pristine outfit gave her such impression. a personality that contrasts a person's clothes is part of their charm, ningning muses. 

 

swooning aside, ningning remembers she's stuck in a cold cell and ultimately releases a long groan, body sagged against the bars.

 

"pretty miss witch, my beloved horse was hungry. it was only one apple-" a glare. "alright, two apples. i, too, happen to be hungry. but please, putting me in this freezing cell is unreasonable!" 

 

ningning whines, an act highly discouraged especially for someone of royalty but in all honesty, it wasn't like she was in the great hall having stiff, formal dinner with intolerable narcissistic guests who only spew riches and achievements from their mouths.

 

winter raises her hand, the one occupied with the enchanted ring— and with her nifty sleight of hand, ningning soon finds herself outlined in glimmering blue before being lifted off the stone ground, paralysed in midair. a gasp escapes her lips, more marvelled than mortified.

 

winter gives her a piercing gaze, jaw clenched. she prowls towards her cell yet again, ignoring the incessant angry neighs of the princess' horse. 

 

"does your mother not teach you about trespassing, you thief? no one steps in my territory, steals my fruits and just gets away with it." winter scowls, hand threatening to clasp.

 

oh i already know this, if she closes her hand, i'll be squished like a bug! ningning gulps, feeling the energy enclosing her body, if this went on, she would be wrung dry like a rag.

 

so she's quick to make a weak plea.

 

"i'm utterly sorry for that. it won't happen again. will you let me go now?" ningning pleads, head frantically shaking as she struggles in vain.

 

winter scoffs, wondering if this princess was ever taking her seriously. what kind of plea was that? there was barely any effort or thought put to it. was she even sorry? well, there was that apologetic look on her face. winter sighs, loosening her grip, opting to leave the royalty immobilized in midair like a prey caught in a spider's web. 

 

not that it would stop her from talking.

 

"...can we at least be friends?" ningning proposes out of the blue, eyes wide with anticipation.

 

she squeals when she suddenly flew forward, stopping just before she could collide with the bars. she meets the pointed glare of the witch, teeth bared in exasperation, her long lustrous black hair beginning to flare as the energy around them starts to intensify. 

 

oh oh... think i annoyed her too much... ningning shrinks under her intimidating gaze.

 

"are you out of your mind? what sort of princess are you? a naive dolt who goes around asking to 'be friends' with strangers that lock you up?" 

 

"oh my, you can be slightly terrifying." ningning squeaks, voice almost inaudible.

 

she earns another scoff, before the witch releases her magic at once. ningning falls on her bottom ungracefully, groaning when she's met with the cold ground again.

 

"believe me when i say i can be very terrifying." winter turns on her heel, glowering at the princess over her shoulder, before strutting off, the thick sound of her black boots echoes throughout the room.

 

ningning's starstruck eyes remain glued to her back, body feeling oddly limp.

 

"...why was that attractive?"

 

.

 

if winter thought giving the princess a firsthand experience of what being subdued with magic felt like was enough to shut her up for good, she was utterly wrong. oh so very wrong.

 

she never stopped. 

 

"that is a very cute puppy." ningning smiles at a grey poodle napping in its bed beside the fire place.

 

"it's quite big for puppy, don't you think?" she continues, arching a brow. she swore poodles were much more smaller, could they actually grow up to the size of a human preteen? it didn't matter, ningning has seen weirder things. 

 

like her castle's female constable and her personal handmaiden flirting in the hallways when they were off duty.

 

"a magic mirror! is that how you saw me trespassing- i mean, stopping by?"

 

the shattering of a glass, followed by a loud eruption. clouds of white smoke start to fill the air. winter shoots out of her chair, shards of a broken bottle can be seen sprawled on her wooden table. she grits her teeth, raising both her hands, face red with anger as she unbinds the fortify spell on the bars.

 

"i mentally cannot take this anymore. i, am letting you OUT. i'm here boiling potions and you're here boiling my blood!"

 

winter snaps, too irked to open the cells normally that she bent them open without a second thought, just enough for the two captives to get out of their respective cells.

 

"ddoongie! my handsome brown horse!" ningning hurls herself onto her precious horse which whinnied and tossed his head in elation in their mini reunion.

 

when the princess' horse attempted to charge however, winter's cold glare was enough to humble him, making him cower behind ningning. the princess simply pats him in reassurance and calms him down, chuckling at his futile attempt.

 

"are you not going to kill me? i don't know... put me in your cauldron or feed me to some ogres?" ningning glances at winter, who looked at her as if she grew another head. 

 

"why are you asking that? and no, i won't end your life, you stupid royalty. what would i even benefit?" winter shook her head in disbelief, repelled by the thought of even plotting the princess' death.

 

it would only bring her a whole lot of trouble, really.

 

ningning shrugs, lips slowly curving up. she tugs at ddoongie's reins, walks a little closer to the witch who kept a cautious gaze on her every move.

 

"...my beautiful corpse and hopefully my charming ghost haunting you?" 

 

a moment of silence, winter has had enough.

 

"you are ill. the queen and king must have dropped you when you were a babe."

 

ningning's jaw dropped at her snarky remark, and seeing how it wavered her a little, winter felt a surge of satisfaction. 

 

"well, what are you idling about for? get out before i change my mind." winter nudges her chin towards the door which flew open on its own, pleased that she would finally regain peace.

 

that is, if the princess doesn't order her entire castle to hunt her down. the thought exhausts her, knowing that it would be such a pain if she had to move again.

 

she had grown to love this place, this lush enchanting forest, having lived here for nearly five years. it was the longest period of time she was able to stay in one place without having villagers threatening to tie her up and burn her alive.

 

it was quite a tedious process as well, because she would have to move her entire property and that would usually take almost half a day at most. if she had to move now, she would have to risk her own life just to hasten the process. 

 

she scrunches her face recalling the time when she was no older than 18 and had to move this precious cottage (thank god it was smaller at the time) some place further. other than the fact that her nose bled profusingly for the rest of the day and having a close call with death, everything settled down fine eventually.

 

now, at 24 and having grown much stronger, she could most probably handle herself just fine. though she wouldn't bet her life on it.

 

"oh! then please change your mind, because i changed mine. i would like to stay a while longer!"

 

now, winter is perplexed. just a while ago, the princess was desperate to be released, yet now she stands before her with clasped hands and starry eyes, imploring to stay?

 

even her horse gave a questionable neigh.

 

"i'll compensate you. when we ehem- ate your apples earlier, they were amazingly ripe and sweet. and you have quite a few trees here, so what i'm implying is, harvesting time!" enthusiasm is quick to engulf her, ningning finds herself reaching out to winter's hand, tugging the witch encouragingly.

 

startled by the sudden touch, winter tries to pry her hand away. the princess' hand was too warm for her liking. but ningning's eagerness powers over her somehow. 

 

"excuse me? weren't you just begging to be released earlier? really, everything is wrong with you." winter jabs a finger on her chest, the action only causes ningning to draw closer.

 

"do you want help harvesting the apples or not?" ningning ignores her and questioned her again, doe eyes looking up at her through the tiny flutters of her long eyelashes.

 

winter recoils when ningning invades her space again, her free hand covering her face in case the princess had any weird ideas. 

 

"no." 

 

"okay! let's go pick apples, pretty miss witch!"

 

"you maddening little-!"

 

what notion of rejection does she not understand?!

 

.

 

frustration is consuming her alive, winter simply could not comprehend nor accept that the princess is doing a great job so far harvesting her apples. truth be told, winter had expected her to do horribly but witnessing the royalty's dexterity and tenderness towards picking the apples was enough for her to know that the princess is definitely knowledgable in this field.

 

realising she had been proven wrong, winter couldn't lie that her wall of pride had started to crack. she gives the princess a dirty look, a snarl making its way on her lips.

 

all the more reason to blast her out of here.

 

"...you're not supposed to be good at this, why are you good at this." winter stands at the side with arms folded against her chest, though annoyed, she was more amused at the sight of ningning having to stand on her toes to reach the apples. 

 

she doesn't mention the step ladder sitting in her shack waiting to be put to use. it was probably covered in dust now, seeing how she only ever used her magic to pick her fruits. it's less of a hassle.

 

ningning takes a gander at the filled basket hung on her wrist with a broad smile. not a single sign of discolouration, just a pile of bright red apples looking back at her. she takes one in hand, pleased when it felt firm in her grasp.

 

then she turns to winter, all smiles, too jolly for the witch's liking.

 

"from time to time, i help my garderners prune our orchard. we have all sorts of fruits in there, super healthy and excellent in quality!" ningning proudly boasts, though winter expected something leaning more towards wealth, coming from a princess.

 

the fact that ningning never once mentioned anything close to her luxuries or wealth arouses curiosity within her. it was all that ever went through winter's ears when she walked among other nobles.

 

"you are a princess. you have gardeners yet you assist those who know better than you?" winter questions her, a single brow raised in genuine interest.

 

the smile on ningning's face falters, pulling a look of disapproval. she takes a firm step closer towards the witch.

 

"you make sound as if it's wrong for a princess to lend a helping hand. it was precisely because of my lovely gardeners that i'm knowledgable. i asked them to teach me out of my own accord." ningning asserts, chest heaved in pride.

 

winter merely tilts her head, opens her palm and a second later, an apple drops on the princess' head, falling right into the basket after. she ignores the weak glare she earned.

 

"you really are peculiar, aren't you? i thought you were supposed to be having tea parties, chin up with an evil empress smile on your lips, boasting about your family heirlooms." winter says mockingly as she walks over, snatching the basket from her hand.

 

ningning rolls her eyes, another trait the witch never expected to witness from a princess. she pities the king and queen for spending so much on their daughter just for her to be this discourteous. 

 

"i hate tea parties. they're boring and my pinky aches every time. and i find it offensive that you picture me as the arrogant royalty, i am most certainly not!" ningning exclaims, fists clenched at her sides. she exhales in defeat, what use was it explaining to a scornful witch?

 

"my apologies, your highness." the little curl at one corner of winter's lips riles her up again.

 

"don't call me that. outside the castle walls, i am a normal-"

 

"there's an insect on your head." winter abruptly points out, falling out of topic.

 

"ah really?" ningning almost thought she was being deceived but she felt little movements on the crown of her head and truthfully enough, when she reaches out, the critter steps onto her finger.

 

"a butterfly! it's beautiful!" she gasps as she brings it close to her face, looking at the blue winged butterfly rather fondly.

 

the sight causes winter to frown for the nth time, not in particular favour of the princess' calm reaction. she's seen how most spoiled young noble women would be repulsed just at the sight of insects, shrieking as if they were creatures of abomination. 

 

then there were rare ones like ningning. it's becoming uncanny how ningning is breaking her conventional image of a spoiled princess.

 

"...what is it with princesses and befriending the wildlife?" winter murmurs under her breath, shaking her head.

 

sure she's heard from the townspeople that this kingdom's princess is one of a kind. one who is said to be charming, beautiful and amiable. she was also said to be someone who loved doing things for her people, aiding them in times of need, especially when it helped them immensely. winter would brush it off, thinking it was all a front to gain her people's favour. though she's been having mixed feelings witnessing the actual princess in her cottage right then.

 

"now that wasn't so bad, was it pretty miss witch?" ningning emits a sigh of relief, rubbing her forehead with the back of her hand.

 

some time later, they were done harvesting the apples. compared to when she was behind bars, winter noticed how ningning was much more concentrated and less rowdy when working. she doesn't understand how the princess was able to keep that same smile all the way through. 

 

was harvesting apples supposed to make you that happy?

 

winter glances at the barrels full of juicy red apples, feeling content for the first time today. 

 

"call me that again and i will boil your teeth." she warns, looking daggers at ningning and walks off toward her shack, the filled barrels floating right behind her.

 

"you could tell me your name." ningning jogs up to her, matching her quickening pace as she places her hands behind her back.

 

"and why should i disclose it to a dense princess like you?" winter side-eyes her, not liking how close the princess was as she walked alongside her.

 

"fine, i guess you do like it when i call you pretty-"

 

"WINTER." she suddenly bellows, teeth grinding. she could feel a vein popping on her forehead when she sees ningning grinning smugly.

 

"sorry?" the princess teased.

 

"i won't say it again." winter halts in her steps, placing the barrels in front of the stone shack before covering them with wooden lids.

 

then she turns, shoving the princess aside with her magic and saunters towards her flowerbeds. ningning tails behind, spring in her steps after learning her name.

 

"winter. lovely name for a lovely witch, i expect nothing less!"

 

"you nauseate me."

 

.

 

"winter winter winter!"

 

"zero, forgive me but i am seriously going to set myself on fire if she opens once more." winter evokes a long sigh, clutching her head as she leans against the wall beside her furry companion.

 

"cease her existence then." the unusual sized poodle yawns, wanting to fall back into slumber after being disrupted by the raucous princess.

 

"i prefer not having the king's entire army and townspeople with torches and pitchforks after me, thank you." 

 

the poodle hums languidly, burying his head in his paws.

 

"winter! do you want to pet my horse?" ningning comes running up to her, pulling on her hand once again. 

 

"no." winter declines, retracting her hand from warm ones.

 

"okay, give me your hand!" ningning is persistent, pulling the same stunt again where she pretends she wasn't just declined and grabbed her hand once more. she starts to pull the witch towards her horse which had been outside feeding on hay she had not-so-nicely-but-nicely provided.

 

what led me to do that. winter starts to question herself.

 

"what dictionary did they slap you with that you simply cannot understand no?" despite the scowl on her face, winter lets herself be dragged along.

 

ningning anchors her in front of ddoongie, much to her displeasure. at this rate, she was getting tired of dealing with the princess and even thought about relenting. brewing wasn't even this exhausting.

 

"now, he likes to be pet like this- just go from his nose up to his head and rub there! he likes to be scratched behind the ears too." 

 

winter looks at ningning weirdly who suddenly chortled. she was uncertain of what to feel having the princess' hand atop hers, guiding her as she pets the contented horse. she wasn't particularly fond of physical touch and she should be pulling away. even so, it was the tender grip of the smooth hand on hers that has her unknowingly riveted, dainty fingers brushing against hers like velvety sheets.

 

a happy neigh snaps her out of her reverie, eyebrows creasing when winter realises she had been... distracted. she immediately clears , glancing at the carefree princess.

 

"is holding onto my hand part of petting him?" winter inquires with dead amusement, ignoring the way her ears start to burn.

 

ningning smiles, and winter feels the brief squeeze on her hand.

 

"no, i just want to hold it. it's cute!" she admits.

 

"this is your 23rd attempt at wooing me." winter shuts her eyes, pinching the bridge of her nose as she deeply exhales.

 

"well, is it working?" 

 

"does it look like it's-" 

 

her words get caught in , because when she opens her eyes, ningning's face is inches away. she could count her eyelashes, the little freckles she never knew the princess had if she wasn't so close, and how her brown pools sparkle as they gaze softly into hers. her eyes subconsciously drops down to cherry coated lips stretched in a gentle smile, winter finds herself tight-lipped, breath held in before she even realised it.

 

the princess is pretty, that was a given but having her within dangerous proximity...

 

"oh, there's something on your face." ningning says, eyes tracing celestial features, lingering on winter's lips before drawing back as if nothing happened.

 

"wh-what was it?" winter, now self-conscious, brings a hand up her face, rubbing her burning cheeks. and did she just stutter?

 

ningning smirks playfully, sending her a wink.

 

"just beauty." then she nonchalantly turns to admire her flowerbeds, leaving winter with agape, feet rooted to the ground.

 

she couldn't believe the princess had the audacity to leave her flustered after whatever just transpired between them. she kept blinking, pupils wavering as her chest heaved up and down. 

 

since when was it easy for her to be breathless? now what was she supposed to do with the constant hammering within her ribcage?

 

.

 

"it talks, winter! it TALKS!" ningning's screech nearly numbs her eardrums, the woman's death grip on her arm almost has winter convinced she was going to lose them. it was a useless attempt to pry her arm out of ningning's vehement grip, the princess' increasing fright was only fueling her strength.

 

"zero, stand down." winter cautioned, eyes narrowing at her aggravated companion.

 

what was once a poodle miraculously mutated into a burly black wolf in front of the princess' eyes. winter sighs wearily, it was something she hoped ningning wouldn't have to see. and she was right to assume that the princess would of course, be mortified just like any others who were (un)lucky enough to witness zero's mutation.

 

oh mother, you just had to leave him behind with me. winter muses helplessly, with her mother gone, zero became a little less gentle and more easily provoked. 

 

"i will feast on her." his threatening gruff voice sends shivers down ningning's spine, the princess withdrawing behind winter when zero prowls closer.

 

"no, you will not." winter commands, voice clear and firm as she looks at him with a piercing glare. 

 

zero's nose flared, releasing an annoyed huff as he eventually submits to winter's familiar powerful gaze. 

 

ugh, she looks too much like her mother. whom had been zero's best friend and soulmate, whom he had long made a promise to look after her lone offspring.

 

"if she does that again, her safety won't be guaranteed." he warns as he glared at the princess, before arrogantly turning to amble back to his bed.

 

"that... that is- that is a WOLF!" ningning who had been hiding behind winter suddenly shrieks, nails digging into pale shoulders unbeknownst to her. 

 

"i can see that." winter hissed through clenched teeth, shrugging off the hands that almost tore her innocent shoulders.

 

ningning mutters out a quick apology, still peeking from behind winter as she clutches her dress this time. 

 

"why is he angry? i-i just wanted to pet him-"

 

"he's not your regular dog, he's capable of tranation. and he's had his fair share of traumatic experiences when a human touches him while he's asleep. so what you did was a mistake." winter discloses, frowning as she tries to pry ningning's fingers off the back of her dress.

 

she earns a gasp, the grip on her dress tightening. she in a sharp breath through her teeth, letting her hands fall to her sides in defeat, ultimately giving up on trying to wrest ningning's hands from her dress.

 

"you couldn't have warned me?!" ningning cries out, winter having to swiftly cover her left ear as she leans away from the shrilling voice.

 

"i don't see how i'm obliged to. someone with a wit would have minded their own business instead of touching things that aren't theirs." winter answers, indifferent. 

 

when zero shrinks back to his poodle size, ningning's jaw hung loose, forehead creasing as she watches him casually curling up in his bed afterwards. 

 

"that was the first time i've seen you scared." winter snorts, not bothering to hide the sneer creeping on her lips.

 

ningning grunts, eyes drilling holes in the back of her head. she gives a short, strong tug on winter's dress, who only seemed to be holding back a cackle.

 

"oh i'm sorry, should i have squealed in bliss if ever a carnivore pounces on me, and beg to be caressed with its deadly razor-sharp claws instead??"

 

winter guffaws, not able to contain herself after the princess' rambling. 

 

"oh, that was hilarious. your dread is a type of entertainment i enjoy." she holds her stomach, wiping imaginary tears on her face.

 

she gradually stops laughing when she perceived the abrupt silence that befalls on them. then she hears sniffles, the trembling fingers that clutched on the fabric of her dress.

 

"what..." winter trails off, feeling dubious, she turns around only to be greeted with a silently weeping princess.

 

the sight knocked the air out of her lungs, she blanched seeing ningning's face buried in her palms, shoulders quivering as she sobbed quietly. 

 

"are you crying- i was only jesting! your dread is in fact, not a form of entertainment- ugh, how could i have known the princess is terrified of wolves?!" winter groans, eyes darting in panic as she momentarily stood idly in shock, not knowing what to do.

 

she clutches her head, before regaining her senses and tries to pull away ningning's hands from her face. 

 

"oh please stop crying, don't send your entire kingdom after my head- i don't want to have to move again!" winter's brows furrowed, cupping reddening cheeks lined with tearstains, frantically swiping tears after tears with her thumbs.

 

it didn't seem to ease the princess at all, so winter hesitantly opens her arms, embarrassment creeping up her crimson cheeks. 

 

oh to hell with my dignity! this is the princess for goodness' sake! it was either her life or the kingdom marching straight to her doorstep.

 

winter swallows down her embarrassment and shoves her dignity aside, and with scarlet cheeks, she reels ningning in for an awkward embrace. constant hushing and words of plea profusely escaped her lips as she kept her close, stiffly patting the princess on her head that rests under her chin.

 

i want to perish. 

 

she craned her neck to glare at the dog which peacefully slept yet again despite her being in distress. 

 

"zero! you brought me in this situation damn it! h-how am i supposed to comfort a royalty, do we have some kind of spell for it or.. or-"

 

"you smell really nice... like hyacinths and gardenias." winter feels warm breath hitting her neck, the sudden soft voice temporarily subduing her panic, until she glanced down and saw eyes forming into crescents looking up at her with a silly grin. 

 

winter immediately jumped away, stabbing an accusing finger at ningning who's lips pursed when protective arms pulled away. the warmth was gone too quick for her liking.

 

"you... you are insufferable!" winter yells in disbelief, face still flushed red realising she had been deceived.

 

"and you need to work on your consoling skills. a spell? really?" ningning shakes her head, hands on her hips. when she takes a step forward, winter takes a step back.

 

"were you worried for me? you should be, i was absolutely terrified." ningning tried to get closer again, and perhaps wanted to apologise for possibly traumatising the witch but once again, she finds herself in the air unable to move.

 

she screams when a red faced winter sends her flying out the door.

 

"worried for my own skin! don't ever scare me like that again!"

 

.

 

after ningning's twentieth apology and eleventh attempt trying to crawl back into her cottage, winter eventually yielded to her neverending pleas (not after almost ripping her own hair out). truly, she regretted holding the princess captive. they were merely apples, why couldn't she have just let her be so she didn't have to go through all this? right, she was a resentful soul.

 

today is going to be marked as her worst yet most eventful day. 

 

"why is your hair black?" 

 

ningning blurts out another one of her impetuous questions just as winter was busy skimming through her numerous books on the rustic shelf, greatly towering both of them. ningning marvels at the myriad of leatherbound covers perfectly sorted in place, cryptic writings engraved on the spines. she presumed they were books containing spells she could never decipher, ingredients of concoctions she had never even heard of.

 

the sound of a book snapping shut breaks her out of her trance, ningning instantly tears her eyes away from the oak shelf. 

 

"why are you annoying?" winter responds, almost toneless. the vertical wrinkles appearing between her eyebrows tells ningning that she's getting worked up again, and ningning wonders how she hasn't been in a chokehold by now. 

 

with the amount of threatening gazes she's received from winter, ningning is pleasantly surprised how she continues to remain unscathed.

 

"i seek an answer, not an insult." ningning flatly says, peeking behind the book levitating in front of her face, which winter deliberately placed out of spite. 

 

"and why are you curious?" winter asks, watching with blatant annoyance as ningning ducks under books after books which she intentionally maneuvered with magic to block her from her sight.

 

she stops when ningning pops up right in front of her face, unable to stop the invasion of her personal space yet again. curious eyes looked back into hers, the fine curls of her baby hair peeked out along her forehead. winter was almost certain they would feel as soft as they looked.

 

"because i thought the legendary white witch had hair as white as snow. and your name is winter so i thought..."

 

at the mention of her hair, winter withdraws herself, lips curled inwards as she avoids the princess' questioning eyes. instead, she lets her gaze linger blankly on her bookshelf.

 

"i'm not the legendary white witch." she confesses after a period of silence, she clenches her fists, thumb slowly rubbing over the white center stone on her ring. 

 

"i'm just... a white witch. the legend whom you speak of, that was my mother." winter speaks, clearer this time and straightens up, face steeled as if ningning just hadn't saw her in melancholy.

 

ningning's eyes widened, the newfound information bubbling up excitement from within. she could barely believe she was standing right before a legend's descendant, it only went around from word of mouth as a rumor after the legendary white witch's disappearance years ago.

 

"oh?! where-"

 

"she's gone." winter cuts her off, facing the astonished princess with a solemn expression. 

 

ningning stares at her in disbelief, jaw going slack. excitement turned into sympathy. her hands slowly hang by her sides, eyes shifting to the ground as she bites her lips, heart uneasy.

 

"it's fine, it's been ten years." winter's silvery voice brings her eyes up again, the way she looked at her was as if she was telling her that she didn't need any alleviation from a long-time grief. 

 

ningning watches intently— with underlying guilt, as winter busies herself by sweeping the floor, fingers lifted in motion as a worn-out broom built out of corn husk moves on its own. ningning suddenly feels small, fiddling with her fingers as she mentally admonished herself for being careless with her words.

 

"my mother was a pureblood. i never knew my father but according to my mother, he was human and died around the time of my birth protecting us from his own power hungry people." winter spat the last few words with venom, before inhaling deeply.

 

she touches her hair, sweeping them over her right shoulder. behind jet black tresses, there were streaks of white which curtained over her nape. ningning looks on with awe. 

 

"so i'm a half blood. hence, my black hair. i do have white strands that i was born with, they're not much, just well hidden." winter discloses, before letting her hair fall over her shoulder again.

 

ningning slowly nods, lips between teeth, heart still weighing down.

 

"i'm-"

 

"if you're sorry, go pick flowers for me near the riverbank." winter interjects.

 

this time, there wasn't any trace of sorrow on her face, her lips curved up in one corner. ningning doesn't question it, there was no use feeling remorseful or sympathetic, especially when it was clear that winter didn't want to further speak about the matter. her sudden change in emotions showed that. but ningning's heart still bled for her loss at such a tender age.

 

nevertheless, a quirky smile makes its way on her lips, deciding not to linger on the matter just as she knew winter would have want it.

 

"come with me then." ningning urges, and it was as if winter foresaw it that she was quick to make a refusal. 

 

"no, i've made a list. and i'm ordering you to." winter firmly replies, the pace of the broom sweeping across the floor hastens. 

 

"aren't you worried that i might pick something poisonous? that i might run away?"

 

"even better. i do not care." winter claims, though her hardening stare towards her unhinged broom stated otherwise, making an awful din as it scours along the floor which dully scratched at ningning's ears.

 

if there is one thing she is excellent at, it certainly would be riling up the white witch.

 

"surely? what if i get abducted? what if i fall and get swept into the current and drown? what if i secretly ran off and call over my guards-"

 

"alright alright! i'll come with!" winter hollers, hands balled into fists.

 

the broom falls on the floor with a gentle thud, lifeless as it should be— the white glow which outlined the object now faded.

 

"you are gravely intolerable!" 

 

ningning pokes the tip of her tongue out, winter huffs in defeat. she tells— more like demanded— zero, to look after the little cottage as they both walked out.

 

ningning goes to where ddoongie is hitched, near the witch's orchard where a lone hitching post sat. winter trails behind her with no hint of mirth, who muses about her terrible decisions today.

 

ningning, on the other hand, hesitantly faces winter, her own words weighing in her mind.

 

"concerning my guards, i was merely joking. i would never send them-"

 

"i wouldn't take my chances. being backstabbed is nothing new to me." winter concedes.

 

it startles her when ningning grabs her shoulders firmly out of the blue, the princess' earnest gaze boring straight into hers, rendering her dumbfounded. 

 

"i won't— cross my heart."

 

winter was never one to believe in empty promises— or promises in general. but the spark in ningning's eyes, the sturdy grasp on her shoulders and the sheer affirmation in her voice made her heart waver.

 

her own self-assurance slowly faltering brings her mind in a daze, until a soft hand so delicate slips itself into her own dextrous yet weathered ones. 

 

winter's head whips up, ningning's seraphic smile instantly catching her eyes. she held her horse's reins in the other, and when she tugs her hand with enthusiasm and blithe, winter doesn't pull away.

 

.

 

they sat on knobbly boulders which colonized the edges of the river, some buffed with clumps of moss at the bottom, others blanketed. for a long while, ningning's eyes drifted from sprawled trees towering them— enwrapped with coils of vaporous mist, to the lush greens coating the ground freckled with variegated blooms. even as they plunged their way into the heart of the forest earlier, her eyes can never seem to linger in one spot.

 

ningning's gaze returned to the river, babbling and burbling as it sprung over limestones in its way, it's glassy clarity captivating. her heart clenched knowing there was so much to perceive, so much to explore and discover outside the sombre castle walls. 

 

as much as it perturbed her, she keeps it to herself and opts to bask in the beauty she was bestowed, rather than spilling out her frustrations onto someone who didn't know she was beyond grateful for.

 

"i've heard rumors of a mysterious cloaked stranger going around town selling apples. the towns people said that once they consumed it, they were immediately full of vigor." ningning states, picking a white flower, twirling it in her fingers as she brings it close. 

 

she gently releases it in the rattan basket hanging on her wrist, before springing up from her seat. winter's watchful gaze followed her, scrutinising the variety of petals in her own basket from time to time. ningning skips towards the thick trees with huge roots spread-eagled arched over her, flowers and foliage of a variety hanging off twisting branches.

 

"though the stranger never stayed for long and would disappear by dusk. no one knew where they went or lived." ningning smiles, the wooden incense, the composting and organic scent entering her nose. 

 

"i, myself have tried it, a handmaiden of mine managed to buy a couple and it tasted exactly like yours." then she turns to winter who was blankly analysing the little stem between her fingers.

 

"are you the stranger perhaps?" ningning asks.

 

she doesn't get an answer, but the side glance and continuous silence was enough for her to solidify her suspicions. 

 

"you know, these apples would do great in the market-"

 

"no. that orchard belonged to my mother, the seeds, the soil, everything. and i will not carelessly allow you humans to trample on it for your benefit!" winter rose from her spot, knuckles growing white as she clutched onto her basket.

 

"it isn't for my benefit but it could provide you-"

 

"i don't need to be provided. i'm not looking for money or recognition, i am content with what i have." winter thunders, her jaw clenched. her intense, piercing gaze with the power of a hundred blades causes ningning to look away in shame.

 

the princess sighs, nodding in understanding, agrees that she herself went a little too far this time. she scratched her cheek lightly, guilt bubbling from within.

 

"okay, alright. i understand, i'm sorry for prying." she puts a hand up, before muttering another apology to winter who merely scoffed.

 

ningning goes on to distract herself with nature again, her eyes scrutinising the vines and flowers hanging off the branches. a cluster of purple catches her attention and she promptly runs to the enthralling petals seemingly calling out to her name.

 

"oh! this is a pretty one!" she grins, reaches up to pick one.

 

"no! don't touch that-" but she retracts her hand immediately after feeling a sudden prick. the sight of oozing red liquid on her finger has her puzzled, then she returns her gaze to the purple flower where a pointed end hid underneath its alluring petals, trickling with her blood.

 

"-has thorns... you fool." winter's exasperated voice approaches close, the crunching of dead leaves and dry twigs underneath her feet becoming increasingly louder.

 

ningning squeaks when winter suddenly grabs her wrist, eyes narrowing on the thick crimson liquid slowly sliding off her forefinger. with ningning's bleeding finger on her palm, winter raised her other hand, lightly sandwiching her finger between her palms. ningning's brows furrow, head tilting as if wanting to peek at her finger between sudden glowing palms.

 

there was a ticklish feeling over her cut, but nothing seemed to hurt. winter gives her a pointed look, one which ningning knew she was going to get reprimanded. but then again, she had always been chastised from the start.

 

"those are bougainvilleas, pretty are they not? but don't forget that like most scum that walks this earth, they bear thorns underneathe. a prick and you're basically inviting to be infected." winter spits out, just as she lifts her palm, releasing ningning's hand from her hold.

 

in truth, ningning envisioned that winter would gather a clump of sphagnum moss from the rocks lining the riverbank and would treat her cut with it. somehow, winter being an expert healer in addition to her magical perks and spells easily slipped her mind, she wasn't some regular, gorgeous young woman living in the woods for the fun of it as her initial thoughts were.

 

ningning closely examines her finger, all healed as if there wasn't a cut in the first place. it leaves her in awe yet again, she shoots winter a merry grin.

 

"but by a fortunate of serendipity, i happen to be with the world's best healer." she responds with pleasure, practically bouncing on her feet.

 

"what a flamboyant title-"

 

"but it's true!" ningning whines, shoulders slumping as winter whirls around with chic, and she trudges after her nimble steps.

 

ningning gives a quick glance to her horse drinking by the river, her little distraction almost causing her to collide with winter. she purses her lips, wonders if the witch had a knack for stopping randomly to point a finger right at her face.

 

"keep quiet and don't touch anything anymore. just stay still lest you get hurt again. ugh, why did i even let you out here?" winter squints.

 

ningning chuckles, drawing forward so the tip of her nose briefly booped winter's little forefinger. her action left the witch rather confused, pulling back her hand as she gives her a judgemental look. nothing she wasn't used to.

 

"you do worry for me." ningning teased, giggling against her fingers when winter's ears turn visibly scarlet. 

 

her frantic hand gestures, twitching lips and reddening face had ningning laughing out loud, head falling back as she attentively listens to winter who was trying to reason. 

 

"no, i need you unscathed if i want to keep my head. you are a stubborn princess, trespassing into my property, stealing my apples, touching every little thing you find pretty and deem harmless and then when you get hurt, i-"

 

if winter had a knack of stopping randomly, then ningning had a knack of being impulsive. winter finds herself being interrupted, frozen when ningning reaches out to insert what looked like a mini white carnation in her hair. it tucked perfectly above her pinkish ears, a splash of luminous white against her lustrous black hair.

 

she spots it within her peripheral vision, glares at it.

 

"get it off." winter says firmly.

 

she raises a hand with the intent to remove it, only for ningning to grab it. and it's the same warm sensation again, a mellow palm against her pale knuckles, lithe fingers interlocked in hers. 

 

she notices ningning in a state of reverie, her gentle gaze dawning intently on her features as if she was enthralled. her curled lips slowly parted like she was wonderstruck. winter feels her neck burn, ears searing as she swallows thickly. 

 

"w-why are you just staring?" she stutters, realises it only happens when ningning's attention is solely on her, presence so close it felt too intimate when it shouldn't.

 

ningning blinks, a fond smile dancing on her lips. what is it about her? i just don't get it. winter internally grouses, it feels like her body was betraying her when her cheeks started feeling hot, a weird flutter suddenly sprouting in her stomach.

 

"nothing. you are just really pretty." ningning blurts out, keeping their hands loosely intertwined as they lowered. 

 

somehow, winter is letting it all happen, eyes focused on the princess just like how they were on hers. 

 

"stay still, i weaved a flower crown for you." ningning chirps, carefully digging underneath her colourful basket, struggles a little using her free hand.

 

winter remains strangely obedient throughout— she herself doesn't believe it, eyes following ningning's hand which eventually pulled out exactly what she mentioned, small white flowers weaved together to form a delicate circlet. winter could see how intricate the weavings were, it was made with care and impressive dexterity despite weak stems twisting around one another.

 

her gaze shifted to ningning's face, full of anticipation and mirth as she carefully lifts it over her head, winter voluntarily lowering herself. 

 

ningning huffs— in amazement — leaning back to swoon over her 'work of art'. winter, still speechless, watches as the princess beams proudly at her. 

 

"i have a hard time believing it," ningning suddenly says, her fingers sliding from winter's wrist to her cold knuckles, tugging slightly at slender fingers. 

 

"believing what?" winter asks, almost quiet, but curious nonetheless.

 

soft laughter escapes her lips, ningning leans in and grazes a finger across winter's bangs. when her finger reaches near her ear, she slowly tucks her hair behind, grinning when a scarlet ear presented itself. then ningning meets her eyes again, albeit shyly, they dilate.

 

"that i'm right before a goddess."

 

and it was all it took for winter to lose her vocal ability, eyes wavering as she in a deep breath. who's the real witch here? she asks herself, musing why she was the one spellbinded instead. if ningning realised how tense and quiet she went, she doesn't question it.

 

"you're a nice person, just bitter on the edges. you're not to blame though, there's just a lot of wrong in the world we live in." instead, the princess turns— the loving smile still etched on her pretty pink lips— and gently pulls winter towards a fallen tree trunk nearby.

 

"can i take a little nap?" ningning asks as she glances back, releasing a yawn.

 

winter purses her lips, eyes glued to their intertwined hands. although she appeared meek, she replied with false firmness.

 

"i'll leave you." it came out as a soft statement, with a weak glare to accompany it. 

 

ningning lets out an airy laugh, winter bites her cheeks, demure.

 

"you won't," ningning tugs her down to sit, then she shifts closer to the rigid witch, placing her cheek against winter's shoulder.

 

"because white witches are altruistic, and you are soft-hearted on top of that." she looks up, the tip of her nose brushing against sharp jawline, doesn't miss the way winter's breath got caught in . 

 

then she closes her eyes, bliss appearing in the form of a rapid heart beat and gentle flutters in the pit of her stomach, all because winter never pulled away.

 

"i trust you."

 

and one day, winter would say the same.

 

.

 

their travel back to the cottage was mainly ningning babbling on and on, the excitement in her never faded. meanwhile, winter kept mum, reticent about her overwhelming thoughts. a few times, ningning sees her frowning, jutting out her lips, and releasing short sighs. she wondered what the witch has been musing so deeply about, and couldn't help but smile a little at the rare display of cuteness.

 

so ningning nudges her shoulder against winter's, immediately getting her attention, eyebrows raised.

 

"you're awfully quiet. did something happen when i was sleeping? was my head heavy?" ningning starts off, earning a shake of the head from winter.

 

"no it's nothing, i'm just... just thinking." then winter goes back to her musing face, fingers lightly holding her chin.

 

"about what?" ningning hums, eyebrows arched in interest as she leans close. 

 

winter helplessly shrugs, looking straight into her eyes.

 

"i can't seem to comprehend your fascination with me. you're a princess, you have suitors. why are you so interested in a witch living in the woods?" winter puts it out there, never been so genuinely perplexed by a princess who's temperament is highly questionable.

 

ningning almost burst into laughter, having thought it was a serious matter. she thinks of an answer, eyes falling on ddoongie which obediently followed as ningning pulls his reins. he flutters his eyes closed when her fingers scratched behind his ears.

 

"hm, how should i say this? compared to them, you're like gold among silver. a chandelier among lamps. the sun among those little stars." ningning crinkles her nose, feeling a little silly hearing herself.

 

winter gives her the same reaction, though it seemed like she was holding back a chuckle.

 

"those are very absurd comparisons."

 

"i know, i said it with an intent to show that you stand out."

 

"i'm... well aware." winter awkwardly nods, tight-lipped.

 

"and i'm like your sunflower, i only have eyes for you. the other gentlemen don't intrigue me as much as you do, not even at first glance. so... you, are my love at first sight." ningning looks up at her through her eyelashes, smiling meekly.

 

it renders winter tongue-tied for the umpteenth time that day, head spinning with the amount of confessions she's heard from ningning compared to her entire life span. it's tantalising to winter that every word sounded as if they came purely from the bottom of her heart.

 

"how could you say that with so much confidence? you barely know me and i literally put you behind bars the minute i saw you." winter tries to reason (why, she doesn't know either), like she wanted to convince ningning that whatever came out of was merely infatuation.

 

and not something that would eat her alive, keep her up at night pointlessly. yet ningning only further avowed her proclaim, beaming at her.

 

"that's the peculiar thing. i'm not certain either, i'm just in full bloom when i'm with you, stranger or not. i'm just at ease, not scared at all, it feels nice to be in your presence." ningning admits, feeling confused herself but then her blinding smile conquers her lips again.

 

"and i like that it feels nice, and so i like you!" ningning throws an arm around winter's shoulder, the latter's body becoming taut because ningning doesn't care about physical boundaries.

 

"i must say, have you taken a liking to me now? you're not as grumpy as before." ningning quips, fingers drumming on her shoulder before winter shrugs her arm off with a tired sigh.

 

"you're full of yourself." she says just that, but her anxious gaze and trembling chin gave it all away. 

 

"that wasn't a no, so i'll take that as a yes!" ningning pumps a fist in the air, not caring that she's earned too many weird looks from winter today.

 

"take it how you want it, i'm simply yielding. you've been leeching off my energy all day." winter grumbles, shoulders sagged. all that tolerating and it only made her eyelids feel heavy at the end of the day.

 

she yelps when ningning suddenly nuzzles against her side, sneaky hands wrapped around her arm. 

 

too warm too warm...! my stomach feels weirdly queasy- 

 

"you've grown soft on me!" 

 

"no... just jaded, princess." winter eventually submits, placing a hand over her eyes.

 

"call me by my name, ning."

 

"no thank you, 'rascal' seems rather fitting for you."

 

ningning pouts and for a second there, she hits a brainwave. a broad teasing grin appeared on her lips.

 

"try 'my love', i like it better!"

 

goodness, i don't think i can endure this any longer. winter mentally cries. she brings a hand up to her chest, feels the subtle palpitations of her erratic heart against her palms. she sighs helplessly. sure she's been hit on a few times, but not consecutively for nearly an entire day. she's certain ningning's combo surpassed three digits with all the multipliers she's earned.

 

"you and your neverending confessions..." she mutters.

 

"i always catch you off-guard, don't i? don't be surprised if i end up courting you." ningning giggles behind her hands, eyes widening in anticipation of winter's reaction.

 

sure enough, it satisfied her— seeing how winter's eyes practically buldged out of their sockets, mouth agape with incredulity. it staggered her to the point of jumping away from ningning's hold, hands flailing.

 

"what? me, a witch being courted by a princess? in what world?! are you-" winter gets interrupted rather rudely, with ningning's hand slapped against , effectively revoking her freedom of speech.

 

"insane? yes. it won't be long until i descend to the throne. i plan to change things up a little. in any case i get exiled, i've made up my mind to go somewhere faraway with you. and i'd beg you to take me if i have to." ningning affirms, snickering when winter pulls her hand away in annoyance.

 

"you have everything and you want to leave all that behind?"

 

"i don't have everything if i don't have you." ningning nudges her coyly, earning a condescending look instead.

 

"quit speaking as if you're in love with me-"

 

ningning whines before winter could even finish her sentence, body technically wilting against her horse as they ambled through the forest. winter caught ningning mumbling something among the lines of 'how can she be so intelligent yet so dense?', and she was about to demand an answer when ningning beats her to it.

 

"weren't you paying attention? you are so clueless when it comes to love, hm? of course i am, why else would i spout all those cheesy, tooth-rotting things straight to your face?" ningning grouses, rolling her eyes at her object of affection.

 

"...you are thinking too far ahead. you don't even know if i like you." winter looks away after a moment of silence, she rubs her arm, shoulders suddenly feeling heavy.

 

"i wouldn't worry so much about that seeing how i've managed to thaw your icy heart. there's no doubt that with time and my persistence, you'll come to like me... hopefully." ningning scrunches her face, unsure of her own words, but shrugs anyway.

 

"and if i still don't?"

 

ningning gasps— like a lungful, then her eyebrows furrowed, lips beginning to quiver. she places a hand on her forehead, exaggerating her 'woe' pretending to be at the brink of fainting.

 

"then i'll spend the rest of my life in purgatory, full of anguish and rot of old age alone..."

 

"you're very dramatic."

 

"a coping mechanism. please like me back... i might actually rot." ningning sniffs, trudging towards winter before circling her arms around her neck, leaving the latter dumbstruck for the hundredth time just as they reached her home.

 

"NING YIZHUO!!!" 

 

ningning pulls away promptly, ears perking up as a familiar voice blared in the distance. winter frowns as she searched for the source, whipping her head left and right as she squints beyond lush trees. a sharp gasp from ningning, winter glances at her questioningly, until she follows her eyes and spots what seemed like... a cavalry?

 

that is, if you can count two women— one who's hair is in a tight bun and side swept fringe, her navy blue outfit with gold selvedge accompanied with a rapier hanging on her belt immediately screamed 'constable', and the other who sat in the back donned a deep red robe intricately made with the finest velvet fabric— on a white horse galloping straight towards the two who stood with wide eyes (for different reasons) at the cottage.

 

the white horse comes to a skid right in front of them, bits of gravel hurled on their legs. winter clicks her tongue, seeing how some of it got on the hem of her dress. then she looks up with a pointed stare, scrutinising the two women who radiated constrasting auras. the constable especially— causes her to scrunch her face in disdain. 

 

they weren't exactly winter's favourite type of people. 

 

ningning jumps in delight, grin stretched so wide it almost reached her ears as she flails her arms with elation when the woman in the red robe descends from the horse, with a little helping hand from the stone-faced constable.

 

winter straightens her stance, kept her chin high as she watches the two newcomers with dubiety. her thumb rubs her enchanted ring in preparation, just in case things go south because what the hell is a damn constable and the head handmaiden of the castle doing here? 

 

was there even effort in rescuing their princess?

 

"i look away for five minutes and the next thing you were GONE for a day and now you're kissing a woman in the middle of nowhere?!"

 

winter pulls a face at the woman's tone, finding it rather impudent, she was yelling a her own princess for goodness' sake. ningning notices this and leans in to whisper quickly.

 

"she's my best friend before my handmaiden." 

 

of course, winter rolls her eyes. 

 

"jimin! aeri! how did you find me? i thought i saw our hawk flew past a while ago." ningning exclaims, hurling herself into aeri's arms who almost toppled over from ningning's excitement. though jimin swiftly helps aeri, places a hand on her back to stabilise her. 

 

"yes it was! thank goodness we found you... and who is this you were kissing?" aeri pulls away from the tight embrace, eyes finally drifting to winter who was startled by her blunt of a question.

 

"kissing?!" and before winter could loudly protest with reddening cheeks, ningning covers again, beaming at the two women who looked on with curiosity.

 

"this is winter! the legendary white witch's daughter! and winter, this is my castle's constable, jimin and the head handmaiden, aeri!" ningning introduces them to one another, earning a little gasp from aeri and a bow from jimin.

 

"i've heard of the rumors but i never thought i'd stand right before a descendant of a white witch..." aeri mutters in awe, eyes filled with wonder as she blatantly gazes at winter who clears out of sheer shyness, unable to meet such brazen eyes.

 

jimin, on the other hand, unlike aeri who is still marvelling at the mere sight of winter, took a bold step forward. winter had to resist the urge to roll her eyes, finding the straight-faced constable rather arrogant. her palm resting on the hilt of her rapier almost seemed like a taunt to winter.

 

"her majesty is worried, your highness. she requests for your presence back at the castle immediately." jimin claims, voice in a lower register than winter had expected, yet clear and firm. 

 

what, was she derived from a stone lineage? looking all stiff and expressionless like that... winter almost found it ridiculous how everything about this constable was riling her up slowly, though she knew she would probably go beyond insane if ever she was surrounded by a whole bunch of them.

 

at jimin's statement, ningning swiftly hides behind winter, hands grasping tightly on her shoulders. winter glances back, startled, is she snarling...?

 

"absolutely not. i won't return to that prison of a castle!" ningning pops her head up behind winter, eyebrows knitted together as her lips form a pout.

 

she gets a nod from jimin and a tired sigh from aeri. 

 

"i presumed so, your highness. which is why her majesty has informed me that if in any case you repulse— which you are doing now — her majesty wishes to come to a covenant."

 

it easily catches ningning's immediate attention, slowly walking out from behind winter who watches with boredom as the scene unfolds. 

 

"...what kind of covenant?" ningning asks, suspicious.

 

then it was aeri's turn to walk up with a bright smile, pulling on ningning's arm.

 

"one where you get your fair share of freedom and adventures outside the castle if you pledge to attend to all your daily duties as a princess. her majesty would even call off the search for your suitors." aeri tells her, appearing rather buoyant as she disclosed the information towards the now starry-eyed princess.

 

"this is... you're not pulling my leg right? did mother finally grew tired of my stubbornness and realised that conceited men aren't my cup of tea?" ningning lights up, hands over as her brows furrowed.

 

if winter didn't know any better, she would've thought ningning would bawl right then and there.

 

jimin saunters over to the princess' horse, the slightest smile appearing on her face as she scratches the delighted horse behind his ears.

 

"i assure you, your highness. this isn't a hoax." 

 

it was enough for ningning to be certain, the woman was incapable of lying after all, always straightforward with her words.

 

"alright! if jimin says it isn't, then it isn't."

 

"i'm hurt, why do you only trust her words?" aeri slumps, feigning hurt as ningning laughs and pats her back. winter swore jimin chuckled, or did she become delusional after all that babbling from ningning?

 

"is father home yet?" ningning questions, winter looks at her intently, studying the way her face brightened at the thought of her father.

 

she realises she never had that, never had the chance to even think about a trivial question because back when her mother still lived, it was always in constant fear. 

 

"his majesty is set to arrive home in a day or two, your highness." jimin answers swiftly, pulling on ddoongie's reins before passing it to ningning.

 

"great!" the princess cheers.

 

when jimin catches winter's watchful eyes planted on hers, she arches a brow.

 

"aren't you being too laidback for a constable? not even a yell or warning for me to step away from your princess? even your rapier is sheathed. what if i had harmed her?" winter tries to goad her, arms crossed against her chest. 

 

it didn't faze the constable so easily, the woman still looking indifferent. 

 

"you are but a lone witch living in the woods of our land. you may possess powerful arcane magic but i'm certain you know very well that my thousand soldiers and i are highly trained to face such threats. you wouldn't harm a royal descendant knowing the lifelong consequences, would you?" jimin is valiant, charismatic even, never missed a beat when she replied to the witch.

 

winter scoffs at her wit, teeth grinding. of course she knew it all too damn well. how the castle had magic resistant weapons with the ability to equip elementals in the form on a small sphere— the nail-sized purple orb embedded in the hilt of jimin's rapier is a prime example. 

 

winter didn't even want to think about how they were able to extract and implant possibly a massive amount of strong magic in such a small orb.

 

"hm, clever. but it irks me that you underestimate me."

 

"i do not. i'm simply sure you wouldn't turn out that way. your mother, she saved lives after all." jimin says, but as soon as those words left , winter comes stomping up to her with clenched teeth.

 

"don't speak of her. remember that it was your cursed blades that had her killed!" she shoved a finger in front of jimin's face, who knew better than to retaliate.

 

when ningning and aeri attempted to step in, jimin brings up a hand. then she looks back into winter's fiery gaze, filled with contempt as she displays her animosity towards the constable.

 

"i do not condone the actions of the savages years ago, though i understand where your wrath is coming from. but that was in a different country ruled by the infamous cold-blooded snake of an emperor." jimin calmly states.

 

despite the country being bestowed liberty years ago after the infamous emperor had fallen, it still deeply pained winter how it had to cost almost the entire population including her late parents for peace.

 

"things have changed for the last ten years and i assure you this kingdom is vastly different. i pledged that no harm will come to the innocent spiritual beings as long as i am leading the army. i have no ill intentions and would like to avoid conflict with the last of the white witch lineage." jimin asserts, her poise and now her confidence for what winter believed to be an empty vow annoyed her.

 

"i wouldn't count on it." winter draws back.

 

"i do not expect you to but you have my assurance." jimin gives a bow, right hand placed over her heart.

 

"ah, today was such an extraordinary day! aeri, i cannot wait to tell you all about it!" ningning abruptly breaks the blood-curdling tension between them, releasing a dry laugh as she walks in between.

 

"oh i'm sure." aeri plays along, lightly pulling jimin by the elbow, who then assisted her to get on the white horse.

 

winter lets out a groan, relieved that her cottage would finally regain tranquility. then ningning comes up to her, surging in to plant a mellow kiss on her cheek that lasted a second or two. when she pulls away, she's bestowed with the sight of a blushing winter who palmed her own burning cheeks in embarrassment, immobilised by her gesture.

 

"a little something to remember me by." ningning softly says in her ear, giggling at the little hairs raising as her breath grazed winter's ear.

 

"i'll come back tomorrow, pretty miss winter!" ningning waves wildly as she jumps on her horse, a little shy and surprised at herself for being rather bold.

 

and before winter could utter a single word, the two horses left her in the dust. 

 

"she's going to come back every day, isn't she?" winter deadpans when zero walks out, hands hanging lifelessly at her sides, still dazed because of the lingering warmth on her erubescent cheek.

 

"well, you don't sound like you mind at all."

 

"...that is a problem, isn't it?" 

 

"silly little winter, i don't see how falling in love is a problem."

 

-

 

a/n: i swear i could have completed this in a week, but bc im in the process of moving houses, and now that im an adult ⚰️, everything is taxing and i had little to no energy trying to write this. it felt like it was only ytd that i was 15 on this app lmao. but im just happy im able to complete it. so im thankful if you happen to enjoy it, and im sorry if you dont and i would understand why. 😊

some info bout this story;

-i referenced winter's fit from dreams come true mv

-if u know Zero, then u would know who her mother is :]

-her father remains anonymous, picture him however u see fit

-yes, kariselle r not slick