One

Eyes only for you

"Jia~" Youngeun whined. 

 

Jia pretended not to hear her. She had her earbuds plugged in and was too busy studying for her midterms to deal with whatever nonsense Youngeun has instore for her. 

 

Youngeun didn't get the memo. She unplugged one of the earbuds from Jia's ears and smiled as she saw Jia roll the eyes from annoyance. 

 

"Jia~" she repeated. 

 

"What is it now?" Jia sighed. 

 

"Look what I got." Youngeun said as she placed an envelope with a heart sticker on top of Jia's textbooks. 

 

"A love note- congratulations?" 

 

"Noo, it's not a thing I should be congratulated on. I don't want another one of these." Youngeun complained as she placed her head on her hands. Dramatic much? 

 

Jia laughed and Youngeun's distress eased up a bit. 

 

"Oh come on. You get these like everyday, shouldn't you be used to it by now?" 

 

"That's exactly why I'm tired of them! I get these every. Single. Day." 

 

"That just sounds like a weird way of bragging. Have some empathy for the single people here" Jia said with her hand over the heart, pretending to be hurt. 

 

Youngeun playfully hits her. "You know that I'll reject them anyways." 

 

"And you know that I find you weird for that." 

 

"They're just not my type. I just wouldn't match with them, ya'know?" 

 

"But you haven't even read the letter yet?" 

 

"It says it's from Jungwon on the envelope!" Youngeun defended. "Can you read it for me?" 

 

"You're not a baby. You can read it yourself, can't you?" 

 

"I'm your baby~" Youngeun jokes 

 

"You know that if anyone else heard that, they'll come for my head, right?" 

 

Youngeun laughed. "Read it for me? Please?" 

 

"Yeah yeah whatever." 

 

Youngeun quietly observed Jia as she read. Her features were quite pretty. She never understood why Jia never liked them. 

 

"Ah." Jia said 

 

"Ah?" 

 

"Jungwon obviously likes you blah blah blah he wants to meet you after-school today. Probably to confess. " 

 

"Oh." 

 

"Oh?" 

 

"Well I'm going to have to reject him." Youngeun says like it's obvious. "I hope this won't make things awkward for the dance team." She mumbled.

 

"You should date him." Jia blurted. 

 

"What?" Youngeun looked over to Jia. "Why?" 

 

Jia felt embarrassed for the sudden suggestion. Youngeun already said she doesn't feel that way for Jungwon. 

 

"I don't know." Jia mumbled. "It might be a nice experience, ya'know? Maybe you're just holding yourself back." 

 

Youngeun sighed. She looked into Jia's eyes, trying to understand where Jia is coming from. "I mean if you really want that... I'll think about it" 

 

Jia took a breath. "Uh yeah, don't force yourself or anything. It's just that, Jungwon is really cool. He's popular and talented. Handsome too" 

 

"It sounds like you're the one who wants to date him the way you're complimenting him." Youngeun chuckled. "I'll make sure to put in a good word for you once I reject him." 

 

Jia's face flushed. "H-hey! That's not true." 

 

Youngeun laughed. "Yeah yeah." She took the earbud hanging by Jia's ear and put it back. "Now get back to studying. Thank you for keeping me company during lunch." 

 

Jia nodded. She watched Youngeun walk away, probably to spend time with the other popular kids for the rest of the lunch period. 

 

She looked at her textbooks and groaned. "How am I supposed to study when you were looking all charismatic a couple seconds ago?" Youngeun was going to be on her mind all day.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The bell rang, signaling school was now over. Jia stretched, class is getting more and more boring each day.

 

Jia looked over to Youngeun's seat and saw that Youngeun was already staring at her. Youngeun smiled when their eyes met. 

 

Jia walked over and whispered "You're not in a rush? Shouldn't you be going to see him?". She doesn't want to be too loud or else other secret admirers of Youngeun might get jealous. 

 

"I will! I just need to walk my favorite person to the bike ramp first." 

 

Jia scratched her head and pretended to be clueless. "May rode her bike to school today?" 

 

Youngeun playfully punched her. "Let's go." 

 

"I can walk myself you know." Jia jokes. 

 

Youngeun responded with a smile and interlocked her fingers with Jia's, leading her to the bike ramp. 

 

This garnered some strange looks from the other students. They were mostly judging looks, some were jealous glares. Jia knows what they're thinking. 

 

Why is Youngeun with... her?

 

Who does she thinks she is? Hanging out with Youngeun.

 

The nerve of her

 

Jia should be used to it by now, but it still hurts. Jia occasionally wonders why Youngeun likes her so much but never had the courage to ask. 

 

Youngeun looked back at saw Jia looking uncomfortable. She looked around and saw the stares so she held on tighter to Jia's hand and sped up her pace. If she wasn't on a time crunch right now, she'd be scolding the unwanted audience. 

 

When they got to the bike ramp, Youngeun quickly took off her scarf and wrapped it around Jia's neck. "Here, now get home fast." Youngeun looked up at Jia. "Don't wait for me. It's cold out here." She says as if she could read Jia's mind. 

 

Jia smiled, not caring if it was obvious that she had heart eyes for Youngeun. She playfully patted her head and said. "Go. Don't keep Jungwon waiting in there." 

 

Youngeun nodded and ran inside, not forgetting to turn around and give Jia an even bigger smile with her perfect teeth showing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jia was crouched down on the floor. Her arms hugging her knees. "Should I head inside? It's freezing out here." Going home wasn't an option for her. Jia is perfectly capable of walking home herself but she prefers it whenever Youngeun is there next to her. 

 

She glanced over to the bikes. "Probably not... I already took the lock out of our bikes. I don"t wanna go through that process again" 

 

"She'll be here soon anyways. It shouldn't take that long to reject someone." 

 

What if Youngeun doesn't reject him though? The question invaded Jia's mind. 

 

The thought of Youngeun suddenly going out with someone and leaving Jia behind hurts. Jia sighed. But isn't that what I want? Someone that Youngeun can hang around with without getting strange looks and glares. Someone better than me.

 

Jia's heart panged. 

 

She's been crushing on Youngeun for who knows how long. A one sided crush that made Jia realize why it's called "crush". 

 

It shouldn't surprise though. Everyone likes Youngeun. Jia is just the lucky one that gets to be by her side all the time. With that, Jia knows the ins and outs of Youngeun, both the positives and negatives. That just makes her fall deeper. 

 

She'll never confess though. If Youngeun rejects the most popular guy at their school then Jia wouldn't stand a chance at all. But it's alright. Jia is contempt with her relationship with Youngeun. Sure they were only friends but if that means Jia can talk on the phone all night with Youngeun, hold her hand, and make her smile then that's more than enough to make Jia happy. 

 

Jia looked up at the clear blue sky. 'I miss her. When is she coming back?' 

 

And just like that, there was a snap of two fingers infront of her face. 

 

"Yah Yoon Jia! I've been calling for you 3 times now!" Jia turned and saw Youngeun infront of her. "What are you doing out here?" She said with panic in her voice. "You're going to catch cold! I told you to go already. Aish, you never listen." 

 

Despite all of the nagging, Jia's lips can't help but form a smile. "Let's go now." She said, ignoring all of Youngeun's complaints. "You can tell me how the confession went on the way home."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You should've saw him! He was so handsome, I'm sure you'd would've liked the sight." Youngeun teases. 

 

Jia scrunched up her nose. I only have eyes for you. Youngeun laughed at the reaction. 

 

Youngeun told Jia about the confession and Jia listened carefully, not wanting to miss a single detail. It seemed like any other confession that Youngeun received at first but Jia felt something off. Was Youngeun not telling her something? 

 

I'm probably overanalyzing it Jia thought, trying to shoo away the thoughts. 

 

Soon enough, they were infront of Youngeun's house. There were days when Youngeun walked Jia home and days where Jia walked Youngeun home. Today was the latter. 

 

"I guess I'll see you at school on Monday?" Jia said, preparing to leave. 

 

"You're not coming inside?" 

 

"I can't. I need to study for the upcoming exams. Someone rudely interrupted my studying time so I need to make up for it" Jia playfully said. 

 

"Aw, don't be so upset~ We can study at my place. I'll even make you some hot chocolate." 

 

"The last name you tried to cook, you burned yourself. No way." 

 

"And you were there to take care of me!" Youngeun said with a grin on her face. 

 

"Not this time." Jia turned and as she was about to walk away, Youngeun ran up and backhugged her. "Come onnn, please?" Jia's face reddened. She hope Youngeun won't notice. 

 

When Youngeun was insistent on something, she wouldn't stop until she gets it. Jia knows this. She sighed. "Fine but you owe me really good hot chocolate." 

 

Youngeun grinned and pulled Jia's hand, leading her inside. Jia's hands were cold. Youngeun would make sure to hold them extra tight when they're inside to warm them up.

 

 

 

 

 

They got settled down in Youngeun's livingroom. If Youngeun wasn't already perfect enough. She was rich too. Her place was spotless and the furniture looked expensive. Jia made sure to be extra careful with her drink. 

 

"Why were you so insistent in getting me in here?" Jia asked, sipping on her hot chocolate. It was surprisingly good. The whipped cream and marshmallows definitely added a touch. 

 

"I'm probably going to be busy all next week. Maybe even after? Baseball season is coming up and I need to practice. The dance team have an upcoming contest too." 

 

"I'm not sure how you do it. You have way too much on your plate." 

 

"Aigoo, are you worried for me? Maybe I'll quit a club or two to make time for my precious Jia~" 

 

Jia blushed at the teasing. She playfully smacked Youngeun with a pillow, earning laughter from the younger. "Don't be ridiculous. Out of everything, I'm far from the higher end of priorities." 

 

Youngeun's eyes widened. "Yah! Don't say that. Yoon Jia, you are the very top of my priorities and that will never change." 

 

You make it so easy to like you, Seo Youngeun.

 

Jia truly doesn't know what she did in her past live to be able to be Youngeun's friend in this one. Jia could only respond with pinching Youngeun's cheeks. "Let's get to studying." 

 

 

Moments past and Jia was intently reading her textbooks while taking notes on topics she thinks are going to show up on the exams. Her notes were amazing. Youngeun always took pictures to copy, earning praises from classmates thinking she was the one who made them. Youngeun would always correct them about Jia being the original creator but they'd never listen. 

 

Jia was busy reading about the history of World War 2 until she heard soft snores coming from her right. She glanced over and saw Youngeun with closed eyes and a squished cheek as her face laid on her unopened textbook. 

 

"Ah. Cute" Jia whispered. She brushed Youngeun's bangs a bit to the side to get a better look of her face. Jia thinks she looks breath-taking. Despite all of her fake annoyance and teasing, Jia's fondness of Youngeun was something much greater. Youngeun must be tired, she had a long day

 

'...' 

 

That's probably not a uncomfortable position to sleep in. Jia doesn't want Youngeun to wake up with a sore back but the thought of waking up her beauty sleep doesn't sound nice either. Jia sighed as she knew what the only option left was. She got up and looked at her. "You're lucky I like you so much." 

 

Jia carefully placed one arm under Youngeun's legs and the other one on her back and lifted her. She was surprising light, or was Jia just surprisingly strong? It didn't matter. She carried Youngeun bridal style up to her room which was unfortunately on the second floor. As soon as she figured out how to open the door when both of her hands were preoccupied, she laid down Youngeun on the bed. It was quite big. Can definitely two people. 

 

Jia admired Youngeun for a couple seconds until she noticed her uneven breathing. Jia placed her hand over Youngeun's forehead and panicked at the heat. She was worrying about now earlier and now she's the one who has a fever. Jia would've chuckled at the turn of events if it weren't for the fact that she was insanely worries. 

 

She knew Youngeun's house like the back of her mind. She've been there countless of times. Jia quickly went over to the cabinets to get some medicine and then to the kitchen to heat up some soup. She rushed back upstairs and as she was about to open the door, Youngeun came out. Her hair was messy and she was pouting. She looked tired but for some reason, she's still up. "Youngeun?! Get back to bed. Here, I have your soup and medicine." 

 

Youngeun wrapped her arms around Jia and buried her face in Jia's neck. She could feel how hot her forehead was getting. "Jia... I thought you left me." 

 

"H-hey, there's no way I'd do that." Jia was flustered at the close proximity but soft at the same time about the fact that Youngeun would feel sad if Jia left. Youngeun only gripped on tighter to Jia. 

 

"Even if you did, if you leave, I won't leave you. I'll come finding you, so just don't go." Jia wonders how Youngeun is able to get so sappy when she's sick. 

 

".....Youngeun, let's get you to bed. I'll stay over the night, okay?" Jia remembered Youngeun mentioning how her parents were on a business trip so it should be fine. 

 

Youngeun looked up at Jia and finally released herself from the hug but firmly gripped Jia's hand, leading her to the bed. She sat on the the edge, barely sitting up as Jia placed her hand on her forehead. "Geez Eun, you're hot." 

 

"You look pretty good yourself" Youngeun said with a wink, a playful smile reaching her face. 

 

Jia cringed. "Not what I meant." 

 

"I meant what I said though." 

 

"S-shut up" Jia mumbled. 

 

Jia made Youngeun take her medicine, earning a disgusted look when Youngeun was done. "Yuck, I should to go the convenience store and buy a different flavored one" Youngeun whined as she wiped . When she was done, Jia spoon fed her the soup despite all of the protesting. "I can do it myself, I'm not a baby!" Jia could see her face redden but assumes it's from her fever. 

 

"You'll always be my baby" Jia teases. "Now open wide or else I won't be staying over." 

 

Youngeun reluctantly allowed it, not wanting Jia to go. Being fed by her was actually nice but she'd never admit it. As they finished up, Jia noticed Youngeun getting drowsy. Ah, it must be from the medicine. She motioned for Youngeun to get under the covers. Youngeun listened, and Jia could've sworn she fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. Jia was about to flick off the lights and head down to the living room to sleep until she heard a mumble coming from Youngeun. 

 

"Jia..." 

 

"Mhm?" 

 

"Thank you" 

 

Jia responded smiled. Realizing that Youngeun wouldn't be able to see it, she patted her head instead. 

 

"I'm sick right now." 

 

"I know you are, Eun. You should be feeling better by tomorrow." 

 

Youngeun stayed quiet for a bit. Jia wasn't sure if she was actually asleep or not but she stayed either way, just incase. 

 

"Maybe I'm using my fever as an excuse, but just ignore what I'm going to say." 

 

"What are you talking about-" 

 

"I like girls." 

 

"Oh." 

 

"I don't." 

 

"What?" 

 

"I dont know actually." 

 

"Youngeun-" 

 

"But something I know for sure is

 

 

I like you

 

 

Yoon Jia"

 

 

 

 

 

                                           ______ 

 

 

Youngeun looked around, trying to find Jungwon

 

"Hey!" She finally spotted him.

 

Jungwon had his hair all neatly done, his uniform looked ironed, and it was noticable the cologne he was wearing. He looked charming.

 

​​"Y-youngeun, hi" Jungwon stuttered, mentally facepalming himself.

 

"You wanted see me?" Youngeun pretended to be oblivious but she've experienced way too many situations like this to actually be clueless. She just thought she should give Jungwon a chance to talk before rejecting him.

 

"Right." Jungwon said with a reddening face. "I- we've been getting closer recently, being in the dance team togeyher and all..."

 

Youngeun nodded, signaling Jungwon to keep going

 

"I've sort of... developed this crush on you." It was getting harder to make eye contact. "I was wondering... will you be my girlfriend"?" 

 

Now like Jia said. Jungwon is popular, he has tons of friends. Always so social and friendly. He's talented, never failing to impress his teammates with his dance skills. No doubt about his looks, he's attractive

 

But he just wasn't Youngeun's type. What even is Youngeun's type? Youngeun doesn't know either. But being with Jungwon wouldn't feel right

 

"Jungwon... I'm sorry

 

Jungwon has a surprised look but quickly replaced it with a shy smile. He rubbed his hand on his neck

 

"Ah, no worries about it. It was kind of silly for me to ask

 

Youngeun questioned why Jungwon said that

 

"Can we stay friends?" Jungwon says before Youngeun has the chance to ask.

 

Youngeun grinned, "I wouldn't have it any other way." 

 

The grin only caused Jungwon's face to redden more. The title, 'heart throb' really fitted Seo Youngeun.

 

"It's the weekend so I supposed you'd want to be heading out now. Sorry for taking your time."

 

"Don't worry about it, I always love spending time with you!"

 

Jungwon gave a smile but as he was about to walk away, Youngeun said "Um, what did you mean by 'It was kind of silly for me to ask?'"

 

Jungwon turned to face her. "Well. You like Yoon Jia after all"

 

 

 

 

"Me? Liking Jia? Is that what everyone thinks?" Youngeun mumbled to herself as she walked herself back to the bike ramp. "These rumors are ridiculous

 

I don't even like girls."

 

Youngeun opened the door and saw a crouched figure. "Jia?!" The taller girl somehow seemed small in that moment. "She waited for me..." Part of her was upset Jia sat through the cold despite her instructions to go home but another part felt happy Jia was there and ready to walk her home. Youngeun's heart skipped a beat and a thought hit her

 

"Oh.

 

 

I like Yoon Jia."

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                        ________

 

 

And now here she is, sick in bed, impulsively confessing her feelings. Youngeun tiredly chucked. "I've always been the one receiving confessions... yet I don't know how to properly confess. I'm sick in bed. I probably look a mess. But Yoon Jia, I really like you." 

 

Jia sat there stunned. was hung open and she wasn't moving. Youngeun would've laughed if it weren't for the context of the situation. 

 

Silence filled the air causing Youngeun to feel worried. She quickly added "You don't have to like me back! Uhm I just, I guess I've felt this way for awhile but I just realized and now you're here taking care of me and I got so soft and i-" 

 

Jia inched her face closer to Youngeun's, now only a few centimeters from her lips. Youngeun's breath hitched. "Can I kiss you?" Jia interrupted Youngeun's rambling. 

 

Youngeun's heart raced. "What if you get sick?" She gulped as she saw Jia eyeing her lips. 

 

Jia chuckled as she leaned in, perfectly placing her lips on top of Youngeun's. Youngeun completely melted. She leaned in closer and swooned at the taste of Jia's lips. 

 

She was glad she never accepted any confessions. They all weren't her type because her type was Yoon Jia. The first person she confessed to. The only person she'll ever confess to. 

 

A pout formed on Youngeun's face when Jia leaned back from the kiss, but a smile replaced it when she heard Jia laugh. "You're so cute." Youngeun felt shy from the compliment. 

 

"Does this mean you'll be my girlfriend?" Youngeun awkwardly said. Jia found it sweet though. 

 

She softly hit the top of Youngeun's head. "You need to ask first." 

 

Youngeun grinned. "Yoon Jia, will you be my girlfriend?" 

 

"Of course I would, you dork" Jia was smiling ear to ear. "I wouldn't have kissed you if not." 

 

That earned Youngeun a laugh. She felt like the luckiest girl alive right now. Is this what love is? It's nice... 

 

"I always thought I'd be the one confessing to you first." Jia said. 

 

Youngeun was surprised. "You liked me?" 

 

"Like." Jia corrected. "I still like you. And for the longest time." She softly added. 

 

Youngeun buried her head in the crook of Jia's neck. "I'm sorry for not realizing my feelings sooner." 

 

Jia wrapped her arms around Youngeun. "It's okay. You're worth the wait." 

 

Youngeun melted into the hug. She can feel herself getting sleepy. 

 

"You're getting tired, right?" Somehow Jia is able to read her mind. "Get some sleep." 

 

"Will you be here when I wake up?" 

 

"I'll be with you until the end of the world." 

 

"That was cheesy." Youngeun joked. "I'll sleep if you get in bed and cuddle with me." Youngeun bargained, a small blush on her face forming. 

 

"Deal." Jia responded with a head pat.

 

 

 

Jia made myself comfortable while Youngeun was softly asleep. She felt like she's in a daze. I'm Seo Youngeun's girlfriend... Seo Youngeun is MY girlfriend. Jia really can't believe it. The girl who she had a crush on since the age of 10 was finally hers. I'm not dreaming, am I? Jia pinched herself red but somehow still not believing the circumstances. 

 

Do I... deserve this? Jia knows there are tons of other people who would kill to be in her position. And Youngeun rejected all of them... she confessed to me. Jia shook her head. She wont think about other people anymore. The only person that'll be on her mind is her Seo Youngeun. 

 

She looked over and smiled at the sight of her girlfriend holding on tightly onto her. 

 

"Aigoo~ are you scared I'll leave you?" Jia quietly whispered, knowing that she won't get a response. "Seo Youngeun. I really like you." 

 

I'll treat you well, Youngeun-ah.

 

Youngeun somehow hugged Jia tighter even when she's asleep. Jia kissed her forehead. 

 

Jia yawned. It's been a long day for her too. She closed her eyes, but not before mumbling, "Thank you for liking me, Eun."