The Cool Kid and His Sweetest Thing

The Cool Kid and His Sweetest Thing
Please log in to read the full chapter

“You can’t dance!” the older boy shouted as Seungyoon was standing awkwardly on the stage. Everyone was waiting for him to do something to show to their parents at the school festival next two weeks. It was the first rehearsal when all the students – that the teachers thought they could sing or dance – gathered to decide what they would perform at the festival.

 

Seungyoon’s eyes were teary after he heard that, but he didn’t cry. He bit his lower lip to hold his tears, still standing awkwardly and daring to look at the older boy who said that he couldn’t dance.

 

“Lee Seunghoon! That’s not a very nice thing to say to your junior.” The teacher who supervised their rehearsal said to Seunghoon, who was glaring at Seungyoon.

 

Seunghoon didn’t respond. He looked away from Seungyoon and stared at the auditorium’s window. He was a 2nd grader while Seungyoon was a 1st grader. This was the first time he saw Seungyoon and he thought that the younger one was tiny and looked too weak.

 

“Miss…” Seungyoon said with a shivering voice, he almost cried, but he managed to stay calm, ”I can’t dance. I can’t perform at the festival.”

 

“Seungyoon-ah, you don’t have to dance to perform, if you have something that you are better at, then, do that. I heard that you sing really well, Seungyoon, why don’t you sing?”

 

“Really?” Seungyoon wiped his tears hanging on the edge of his eyes, a little smile decorating his face.

 

“Yes, Seungyoon,” the teacher answered softly.

 

“I can sing really well, Miss! I can perform at the festival!” The sad look was completely gone from the younger face as he said that, replaced with a wide smile.

 

“Of course, Seungyoon. Now, would you like to sing something for us first?” The teacher said again, ”look, your friends are waiting.”

 

Seungyoon looked at the other 7 kids around his age that were looking at him, except Seunghoon. They were all from 1st and 2nd grade. The older graders were having a separate rehearsal. Then his gaze stopped to Seunghoon, who was still looking through the auditorium window. He neither liked nor hated the older boy. He was even curious about what the older boy was thinking. He let out a little sigh and took a deep breath, starting to sing a song.

 

Seunghoon still looked at the window, but he listened. He listened to the younger who was singing with a very good voice and with all his heart. He stayed still, refusing to turn to look at Seungyoon. But deep in his heart, there was a pang of guilt for saying a bad thing to Seungyoon. He promised himself that he would apologize.

 

“Seungyoon-ah? You don’t bring your umbrella?” the teacher asked. They had finished the rehearsal and had to go home under the heavy rain.

 

Seungyoon shook his head. He pouted.

 

“Wait here. I’ll call your mother to pick you up, okay?” the teacher said.

 

“Mom is at work, Miss. She can’t pick me up.” Seungyoon pulled the teacher’s blouse.

 

“Is that so? I’ll call your mother to let her know that you finished with the rehearsal today. Don’t go home until the rain stops, okay?” The teacher patted Seungyoon’s head, ”I’ll be back after I call your mother.” And she left.

 

Seungyoon turned around to look at the school’s field. He pouted as he watched the rain become heavier. Just then, someone came and poked his shoulder. He turned around and saw Seunghoon was standing there, offering a red umbrella to him.

 

“You can use my umbrella if you want. But I prefer you to stay here until the rain stops just like Miss Hyojin said.” Seunghoon said, avoiding the younger’s eyes.

 

“But… how about you, Hyung?” Seungyoon asked. Unlike the older, he looked at Seunghoon intensively.

 

“I’ve got my raincoat,” Seunghoon replied, ”take the umbrella.”

 

Seungyoon took the umbrella but he didn’t open it.

 

Seunghoon was ready to leave when the younger tugged his raincoat. He turned back.

 

“Hyung…can you…can you just stay here?” Seungyoon asked slowly. His face reddened because of the cold air and also the blush.

 

“Why?” Seunghoon asked back.

 

“The rain is too heavy, Hyung.” Seungyoon said, ”I want to wait until the rain stops, but I don’t like waiting alone.”

 

“You want me to stay so that you don’t have to wait alone?”

 

Seungyoon nodded, gripping the part of Seunghoon’s raincoat that he tugged tighter.

 

Seunghoon looked at the rain and frowned. He was not sure he could find passing the heavy rain even by both the raincoat and the umbrella though. “Okay. I’ll stay here.”

 

Seungyoon smiled softly.

 

They sat down on chairs in the corridor. Both didn’t say anything. There was a long silence. Only the sound of the heavy rain was heard.

 

“I’m sorry.” Seunghoon suddenly said, letting out a sigh, still watching the rain.

 

Seungyoon turned his head and looked at the older man.

 

“I’m sorry I made you upset earlier. I didn’t know that you sing well.” Seunghoon continued, ”I can’t sing. I can only dance.”

 

“It’s okay, Hyung,” Seungyoon replied.

 

“You may hate me for that.” Seunghoon sighed.

 

“I don’t hate you, Hyung. You’re cool.” Seungyoon said as he smiled.

 

Seunghoon turned to look at the younger, looking confused, ”how am I cool?”

 

“My mom said, people who apologize for what they have done wrong are cool,” Seungyoon answered.

 

Seunghoon grinned, ”So you don’t hate me?”

 

“Of course not, Hyung.”

 

Seunghoon ruffled the younger’s hair while smiling, ”thank you.” he chuckled.

 

The rain was not as heavy as before, but the two boys were still sitting and watching the rain. They didn’t want to go home yet. Seungyoon could feel the warmth from the older kid. At that moment, he thought that Seunghoon was not that bad

Please log in to read the full chapter