fin.

sea glass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hi!"

 

A little girl with a bright smile greeted me, making me crouch to her level. "Hello to you too, young one. What can I help you with?" I asked.

 

"Mom told me that you are a very lonely person." She said.

 

I couldn't help but to chuckle quietly. "Do I look lonely now?" I asked as I gave her the brightest smile that I could ever make.

 

The little girl shook her head earnestly, "That's not how you smile, mister!" She exclaimed.

 

Mister, huh? I brushed my short raven mane, ruffling down in tresses. "How do you smile, then?" I asked.

 

She started to crinkle her face into a cheeky smile, doing her utter best to show her rows of growing teeth. That was so adorable, and I tried doing the same but she kept disapproving my attempts. With more vague instructions and eagerness in hand, I couldn't satisfy the little girl's standards. That didn't mean I was having a hard time keeping up with her.

 

After some time, the little girl's mom came by to fetch her.

 

"Hi, did my daughter bother you? I'm really sorry for that." She ushered her to her side, giving an apologetic smile.

 

"Not at all," I waved it off. "She was a behaved young one. I enjoyed her company." I said.

 

"Is that so? Even so, she wandered off without asking for my permission. I can't handle the house while you're out here having your silly little adventures, hmm?" She turned to look at her daughter, who was not looking guilty at all. 

 

"But I wanted to see the loneliest person of the island like you've said!" She chided.

 

I smirked in amusement and nodded in approval. "And so I've heard." I looked at the mother's eyes, a guilty expression reflecting on her face.

 

"That...was just an exaggeration." She said, averting away from my gaze. "She is mostly seen on her own along the shoreline. You don't call strangers like that, okay?" She reprimanded, which made her daughter mumble the softest and most defeated "okay" that I have ever heard.

 

Then the little girl suddenly perked up, "But she's not a mister?" She asked in disbelief.

 

I shook my head, "Yes, I am not a mister. What made you think that I am a mister?" I asked.

 

"No way!" She exclaimed, then she turned to her mom. "She's so handsome! I wanted my prince charming to look like you!" She continued to exclaim as I let out a laugh, my heart feeling light to the little girl's words.

 

"You flatter me, young one. May you find your own prince charming, because a face like mine only comes once in a blue moon." I smirked as I sought the mother's gaze again.

 

Come to think of it, I haven't found the opportunity to appreciate the timeless beauty before me. Her brown tresses that fanned on her shoulders, hiding the exposed skin underneath, the dimples beneath the corner of her lips and her poised demeanor... I might get lost if I observe a bit more into her, so I left my train of thought to attempt a conversation with her.

 

"It's getting a bit late now, isn't it?" I commented as I marvelled to the sight of an orange sky, the sun setting beautifully to the endless horizon.

 

"Yes, and thank you for keeping my daughter company."

 

"I wouldn't do anything better but to converse with your little one. She seems to have a very curious mind."

 

"She got it from her father, though that man isn't around anymore to take responsibility." Her tone became solemn, and I noticed how she grasped her daughter's hand tighter before letting her go to play with pebbles. 

 

"Children are like blank canvases. There are colors

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter