The Imperial March

Of Wands and Lightsabers

Seulgi panted as she tightened her grip on her broomstick, eyes focused on the golden snitch.

 

'Just a little more,' she cheered in her head as she gritted her teeth.

 

Reaching out her left hand as the golden snitch gets bigger on her vision, Seulgi held her breath.

 

Suddenly some flying white things flew across the field.

 

'What the heck?'

 

Then some lasers started to shoot before a dark figure came to view.

 

'No way!' she thought, her eyes widening.

 

"Darth Vader," Seulgi mumbled sleepily as she woke up half awake to hear the Imperial March blasting from her phone, interrupting her sleep. "Hnnghmmm," she moved her body to turn away from the noise, hoping to ignore it and continue her sleep.

 

The ringing stopped a few moments later that made her sigh in contentment. Only to groan in annoyance once the Imperial March blasted again.

 

For a few more moments, Seulgi willed her phone to stop ringing as she did with the sudden the insistent pounding in her head.

 

Giving up on her sleep, Seulgi lazily turned to her stomach before pathetically reaching for her phone. Squinting at the brightness of her phone, she noted the time along with the smiling face of the caller in big contact photo she assigned. Still grumbling on the disturbance but nonetheless clicked the green button to answer she dropped her head on her soft pillows before speaking.

 

"Seungwan," she groaned, "Do you know what time is it,"

 

Instead of answering, "Seul, let me in," was the rushed greeting. That's when Seulgi realized that the annoying pounding was her best friend knocking on her door.

 

"Seungwan, it's three in the morning,"

 

"I know," Seungwan answered, "That's why our dorms have closed its door and I need a place to stay,"

 

Groaning lazily again, Seulgi huffed, "Fine," she said, quickly ending the phonecall before taking a moment to will herself to get out of bed.

 

Huffing again at her annoying best friend, Seulgi threw the covers away from her body before finally standing up from the comfort of her bed. Oh, the things she does for Seungwan.

 

Trying not to wake herself too much, she walked the short steps to the door of her apartment with slow steps and eyes barely opened. She didn't bother getting a robe even if she's just in a boyshorts and a tank top. When she opened her door, the coldness of the night--er--morning greeted her.

 

Shivering from the cold, Seulgi squinted to see Seungwan's short frame and her damped brown hair with her face red from the coldness greeted her. "Sorry," the shorter woman said, with apologetic grin, her breath visible from the cold.

 

The coldness from the door made Seulgi immediately turn away from the door, in turn, her friend, "Come in quick," she called, "Lock it," she added with a yawn before sleepily walking back to her bed.

 

Seulgi vaguely registered Seungwan taking off her coat and carelessly dropping it to the couch before turning away from her friend as she sleepily dropped her body back to the warmness of her bed.


"Hey, Seul, thanks for letting me in," Seungwan says as she moved with familiarity in Seulgi's personal living space, naturally pulling some clothes from the owner's closet.

 

"Yeah, sure," Seulgi answered sleepily, "G'night," she added, in the brink of unconsciousness. Then the other side of the bed dipped before a pair of cold hands wrap around her waist. She unconsciously sighed in comfort.

 

"Good night, Seul," Seungwan said before scooting closer to her, because of the smallness of her bed or seeking warmth, Seulgi can't say. 

 

"Wannie," Seulgi called whined softly as she realized Seungwan took off her pants because her friend's cold bare legs touched her own. "You're drunk, aren't you?"

 

Seungwan didn't answer immediately but buried her face onto her nape, making Seulgi shudder.

 

"I'm fineeee," Seungwan answered, "It's your fault, I told you to come with me so I can avoid the obligatory excessive social drinking after a gig but you're being a bum,"

 

Seulgi hummed as she felt Seungwan's breath slow down. "You could've just stayed in Rosé's, you know,"

 

Seungwan hummed in return, "True," she said, "..but I won't be able to sleep well,"

 

"True," Seulgi mimicked and said nothing else.

 

The silence and Seungwan's familiar warmth was comfortable and Seulgi found herself on the brink of sleep again.

 

"..and it's still the 'Imperial March', really?" she can practically see Seungwan's teasing grin.

 

Even with the grin that made it's way to , Seulgi's eyes remained closed, probably from the familiarity of the softness of her bed and the warmth of Seungwan's body. "I may have allowed you to make me watch the whole Harry Potter franchise with you, and I may admit that I liked it, but first love never dies,"

 

It was true for Seulgi, in more ways than one.

 

Suddenly, a memory of her conversation with her favourite sunbae and unnie, Joohyun flashed in her mind.

 

"You're such an idiot, Seulgi."

 

In the middle of her rant, Seulgi turned to Joohyun. "Unprovoked?!" she exclaimed.

 

Seulgi is seeking advice from her Unnie regarding her dilemma of the recent change in the relationship between her and her best friend, Seungwan. The changes and the confusing absence of what other people say that should be normal in the relationship made her question whether the two of them made the right decision.

 

It also doesn't help that the two of them often forget the changes because, there had literally nothing changed between the way the two of them function in each others' lives.

 

"You're in love with Seungwan," Joohyun said, "You're confusing yourself. You already know that you are, why would you question it just because you don't feel the stupid 'butterflies' in your stomach?" 

 

"Isn't that like, the universal indication of what love is?"

 

Joohyun shook her head, "No, Seulgi, it just means that Seungwan is good for you," seeing the confused look on the younger's face, the older scooted closer, "These so-called butterflies in your stomach can be an indication on anxiety. It could be because of one, anticipation anxiety; two, the need to always please your partner; or three, the desire to always want to seem perfect to them. The absense of those stupid butterflies is because you're not on edge all the time in her presence." seeing the realization slowly dawn on Seulgi's face, "You're lucky, Seulgi. You and Seungwan." the older woman sighed, "Usually, this level of natural comfort and emotional intimacy with your partner is felt after years of being together, but the two of you? You're already in that stage."

 

Seulgi smiled, she thinks she gets it now. "I guess it's a good thing I fell in love with my best friend." she said, "Thank you, Unnie,"

 

"Whatever," Seungwan's snort behind her brought Seulgi back in the present, 

 

"You're lucky it's the weekend or I would've let your freeze outside," Seulgi commented, just for the fun of the banter.

 

"You wouldn't," Seungwan said with certainty.

 

"Yes, I would have,"

 

"No, you wouldn't, I'm your girlfriend,"

 

This made Seulgi huffed, "Yes, you are, but I'd still would,"

 

"I'm your best friend,"

 

Seulgi sighed, "Yeah, I wouldn't."

 

There was silence again.

 

"Don't worry," Seungwan broke the silence again, "I'll make breakfast," Seulgi felt her best friend's cold nose nozzle closer to her nape while pulling her impossibly closer and she can't find it in her to complain.

 

"You better," Seulgi said, wrapping Seungwan's arms closer to her body.

 

Seulgi smiled as she pulled back to sleep, dreaming of magic wands, lightsabers and brown, short-haired first love.

 

×××

 

I literally wrote this on the browser of my phone just to have something posted for WenSeul day?!

 

See more about Joohyun's point here.