Not Friends

Not Friends

Stretching at her desk, Jinsol lets out a low groan. The paperwork involved in wrapping up her missions is always the least favourite part of her job. She doesn’t complain too much though, opting to just rush through it after a mission, given that she’s in the right state for it, so she can move on to the next. She’s not used to taking breaks too often, unless she’s forced to by her boss or health.

‘Finishing up that report?’

One of her colleagues and childhood friends shoots her a wink as she walks past her desk.

‘Unfortunately. You’re done?’

Sooyoung nods and settles against the edge of Jinsol’s desk, respecting her space but being comfortable enough with her to let her guard down.

‘I was about to head home and saw your office light on. Did you check our next mission brief?’

Jinsol frowns and nods, crossing her arms as she stares at her computer.

‘Yeah, the main office is sending in some representatives, right? Wonder if we know any of them.’

Sooyoung shrugs and gets up, patting Jinsol’s shoulder as she passes to leave her office.

‘Probably not? We’ve never really done any physical missions together with any of them, right? If you’re lucky, your little girlfriend gets sent out!’

Before Jinsol has the chance to punch her friend in the shoulder, Sooyoung has already stepped out of the office with a deep grumbling laugh.

‘She’s not my girlfriend!’

Jinsol huffs and rubs her temples. Sooyoung knows how to get a rise out of her quickly, especially when it comes to her long-distance colleague, Jungeun. She’s from the main office, in charge of most of their transfer missions. It wouldn’t be too implausible for her to be sent down to their office for the new mission since she has most contact with them. Biting her lip, Jinsol opens up their secured private chatting program and is pleased to find her friend online.

 

Jinsol: Working late?

 

Her message is read almost instantly and she finds herself sitting up in anticipation of the younger’s reply.

 

Jungeun: Aren’t I always?

Jungeun: Stuck with paperwork again? ;)

 

Jinsol chuckles at the message and eyes the mission folder next to her, waiting to be properly filed once her report is added.

 

Jinsol: :0 how did you know?

Jinsol: I swear they forgot to mention this part of the job back at the academy

 

She smiles as Jungeun reacts to her message with a laughing emoji. The fatigue quickly leaves her body as she chats with her friend about their latest missions and work. Jungeun ends up telling her to finish her paperwork so they can both go home and get some much-needed rest, to which Jinsol surprisingly complies quickly. Once finished, she closes up her office and heads out to her car, phone in hand.

 

Jinsol: Any new missions coming up for you up there?

 

Biting her lip, Jinsol thinks back to Sooyoung’s words, almost wishing them to be true. Despite knowing each other for over a year online, she is yet to meet Jungeun in person, as they’re both highly regarded agents with much too important positions for them to simply take a holiday to visit each other. Somehow, they’re so very close, texting every day and calling as often as their hectic schedule allows. Sooyoung keeps pushing and teasing about them, insisting on the whole ‘girlfriend’ thing, but Jinsol is very much defensive about the topic. At her age, most of her family expect her to have found her mate already and to be ready to take over her father’s role as pack leader, who also happens to be the academy CEO and principal, a role she is also working on taking over.

 

Jungeun: Actually, I’ve been asked to join on a collaborative mission…

 

Jinsol nearly drops her car keys as she walks up to unlock it. She quickly scrambles to get into her car, connects her phone and calls Jungeun as she pulls out of the parking lot.

‘Hey, Jinsol.’

Jungeun’s voice is sweet like honey, threatening to melt Jinsol into a puddle if it wasn’t for her excitement.

‘You’re coming down here, right?’

A sweet chuckle comes through the car’s speakers. Jinsol’s hands tense on the wheel, cruising down the streets to her home. Jungeun hums softly in confirmation.

‘They’ll have me come down next week with my partner. Remember Heejin?’

Jinsol nods before remembering Jungeun can’t see her.

‘Yeah, she was out for a few weeks due to her mate, right?’

Another hum.

‘That’s what she gets for mating a clingy alpha.’

Jinsol chuckles and shakes her head at the comment. Jungeun had told her about Heejin, her partner at work and a mated beta, having found her mate in an alpha by the name of Hyunjin, who was both clingy and forgetful.

‘Hey, not all of us alphas forget our rut suppressants! Don’t get me started on you omegas and your heat suppressants! You should’ve seen the state Sooyoung was in when Jiwoo ran out!’

Jungeun cackles and Jinsol parks at her apartment, grabbing her phone and putting it up to her ear. Jiwoo had been sick in the week prior to her heat and didn’t pay attention to her stash of heat suppressors, causing her pheromones to wake Sooyoung up in the middle of the night and come into work late, 3 days in a row. Jinsol chuckles along with Jungeun and makes her way up to her place.

 

‘So we’ll finally get to meet?’

The question comes out hesitantly, as there’s no real saying if they’ll have the time for exchanging pleasantries upon their arrival and the start of the mission. Jinsol can only hope they at least get to work closely together, but Jungeun and Heejin aren’t exactly field agents as she and Sooyoung are due to their being omegas.

‘I would hope so. I still owe you a birthday present, remember?’

Jinsol’s smile widens, recalling how happy Jungeun was when she sent her a pair of earrings as a birthday present. She jokingly called her the queen of the head office, as she’s told Jinsol about numerous times she would make even the CEO shudder in his shoes when she took charge of a mission. Jinsol bumped into some cute crown earrings in silver and decided they would be the perfect gift for Jungeun’s upcoming birthday. Sending them to the headquarters under the omega’s name was easy enough and she received an excited call from her the next day.

‘Seeing you would already count as a birthday gift in my books.’

Jungeun bites her lower lip and blushes on her end, laying her head on the pile of paperwork in front of her. She was so set on helping Jinsol that she ended up ignoring her own paperwork once more. She’ll finish it after they end their call, as she usually ends up doing anyway.

‘You’re so cheesy, Jinsol.’

The alpha chuckles lowly as she lets herself fall into her couch. For a moment, they say nothing, simply listening to each other’s breathing, letting the fatigue of the day wash over them both. Jinsol eyes the clock and cringes.

‘I should shower and get some rest before tomorrow morning’s brief. I bet you’ve got quite the case ready for us?’

Jungeun nods and sits up, running a hand through her long dark blonde locks before looking over at the mission brief she sent to Jinsol’s department just hours before.

‘Well, considering it’s serious enough for the CEO to want to send me and Heejin down there for assistance, I’d say you definitely want to be well-awake and ready to take in all the info.’

Grunting, Jinsol rolls out of her couch and towards her bathroom.

‘Alright, I’ll be ready. If anything, I can always ask my red queen to further elaborate on the briefing.’

Jungeun chuckles and shakes her head at the ridiculous nickname. Leaning back in her chair, she taps her long fingernails along the wood of her desk.

‘That would be quite the show of favouritism on my end, agent Jung.’

Jinsol sports a wolfish grin as she starts stripping down in her bathroom.

‘Why, I thought I was your favourite, agent Kim? Don’t play with my heart like that.’

Jungeun can hear the playful pout in Jinsol’s voice and chuckles lightly. It’s always been so easy for the two of them to banter and play around like this together. As she’s about to retort, she hears the telltale sound of a shower being on Jinsol’s side.

‘Are you showering?’

Jinsol’s lazy voice comes through, muffled slightly by the water. The sound of Jinsol at her muscles relaxing under the hot water makes Jungeun choke and freeze.

‘Yeah, why? Wanna join?’

Jinsol’s inner alpha can’t help but puff up in pride when her teasing results in Jungeun shrieking in embarrassment and mumbling an awkward ‘talk to ya later!’ and hanging up the phone. Smiling to herself, she hums a soft tune as she finishes up her shower, ready to tuck in for the night.

 

As per usual, Jinsol curls up in her bed, all alone, feeling the loneliness catch up on her.

 

***

 

It’s not gonna be a dream

I got a lot on my mind

You know me, Ohh yeh

 

***

Jungeun struts into the office with her head held high, a stack of reports tightly held in her arms. Several of her colleagues pass her with a bow, even some of the alphas sending her an acknowledging nod, aware of the position she holds within the agency. At this point, most were even unsure of her status as an omega and a rumour started going around that she might be an alpha without a strong scent, purely because of the way she carries herself and the power she holds.

Once she arrives at her desk, Heejin shoots her a smile in greeting before returning to her computer screen, tapping away at the keyboard.

‘We’ll get a feedback report in about an hour or 2. The briefing at the Jung department just finished and their agents should be working on the feedback now.’

Jungeun nods and settles at her desk, starting up her computer and opening her briefing file up. Just as she’s about to get through her emails for the morning, a private message from her favourite field agent catches her eye.

 

Jinsol: You really weren’t joking when you said it was a lot

Jinsol: I think I lost my last brain cell after that briefing

 

Jungeun can’t help but smile to herself, quickly typing out a response.

 

Jungeun: I’m sure you still have a few to spare

Jungeun: Heejin says they expect reports from you and your partner in about 2 hours

Jungeun: Get to work, sweetie :*

Jinsol: your wish is my command, my queen :)

 

Again, Jungeun finds herself blushing behind her desk. She shakes it off and quickly tries to get back into work-mode. If she’s to find any time to properly meet up with Jinsol during their mission in a few days, she has to make sure the paperwork is air-tight and well-prepared.

 

***

 

Grunting, Jinsol gets up to refill her coffee cup. Sooyoung is typing away at her desk, no doubt getting the feedback report finished in no-time. She’s always been the quicker one between the 2 of them with paperwork. Jinsol is the one with more field experience and presence. She watches as the dark liquid pours into her favourite blue mug. Not bothering to add anything to it, she returns to her desk and stares at her half-written report up on her screen. Grunting, she’s about to get back to work when one of the assistants runs up to her desk.

‘Agent Jung, agent Ha, the boss would like to see you for a moment.’

Jinsol smiles at the distraction and instantly gets up from her desk, patting the assistant on the head.

‘Thanks, Yerim. Soo, let’s go see what my old man wants now.’

With a nod, Sooyoung too gets up and pinches Yerim’s cheek, in passing. Once in the elevator, Sooyoung bumps her shoulder against Jinsol’s.

‘How’s the report coming along?’

Her partner grunts and shrugs. Stepping out right as the elevator doors open.

‘I’ll be glad if I can finish it before the deadline…’

Chuckling, Sooyoung throws an arm around her. They make their way to the main office and nod at the assistant at the door for them to be let in.

‘I’ll send mine your way for inspiration.’

Jinsol brushes Sooyoung’s teasing arm away and straightens up as they enter her father’s office.

‘Sir.’

The pair greet him with a nod and light bow before taking their seats in front of him at his dark wooden desk. Jinsol’s father smiles at them and straightens in his seat.

‘Thanks for coming up so quickly girls. As you’re aware, we’ll have 2 representatives from the main office coming in, and they will be your monitors during the mission. They’ll be your eyes and ears, guiding you on the field.’

Sooyoung and Jinsol share a look and nod, turning their attention back to their employer. The boss turns to his computer for a moment, typing away on his keyboard before projecting something on the wall behind him for them to see. On the wall, they see the employee files for both of their new partners for the next mission, Jinsol instantly recognising Jungeun’s employee photo, as it’s the only picture she’s ever been able to see of the omega.

‘Jeon Heejin and Kim Jungeun. Both are highly qualified and sought-after agents that we have the honour of housing here for the time being for this particular mission. You’re aware that security and secrecy is of the greatest importance for us, which leads us to the issue of where they will stay during the mission.’

Jinsol tears her eyes away from Jungeun’s face on screen and looks back to her father.

‘I assumed they’d be staying at the private quarters on-site here?’

That was the usual protocol for in-coming agents from other offices during collaboration missions. With the status Heejin and Jungeun have, they would probably be given the private quarters, with VIP privileges, or at least that’s what Jinsol and Sooyoung assumed.

‘Due to their high-profile and you all having to work together closely for this mission, the board at the headquarters and I decided they would be better off residing in our secured facilities.’

Jinsol tilts her head and raises an eyebrow. The only truly secured facility was the building owned by her family, where both she and Sooyoung were appointed an apartment. However, to her knowledge, there aren’t any vacancies.

‘Are you thinking of moving someone out of their apartment for the time being?’

Her father clears his throat and leans on his desk, hands clasped together.

‘Ideally, they’d be housing with you directly to increase security, however, since both Heejin and Sooyoung are mated with their respective partners, that isn’t an option.’

 

Sooyoung frowns for a moment but agrees. It’s unheard of for a mated pair to live apart or house with someone that’s unmated.

‘Then, what are you suggesting?’

Sooyoung leans forward and shrugs at Jinsol when she shoots her a confused look.

‘Well, Heejin will be travelling here with her partner, of course, which means they need to house together. Luck will have it that we have a vacancy for the time being due to one of our agents going through their mating and marriage procedure at their partner’s private housing. This means that Heejin and Hyunjin will be able to occupy that space. Now, we have Kim left, an unmated omega, and Jinsol, we all know you have the largest apartment, which has a spare en-suite room.’

Jinsol’s heart nearly beats out of her chest, she’s sure she’s about to meet her maker. Sooyoung presses her lips together, trying desperately to hold in her laughter at the predicament Jinsol’s father is putting her in. Sooyoung is fairly certain that if they’re not mates, Jinsol at the very least has a crush on Jungeun and this situation is sure to be interesting for them all.

 

‘Dad, what the hell? Wasn’t it you that started the policy about unmated housing partners not being allowed in our facilities?’

He shrugs and leans back in his chair comfortably. Jinsol can’t help but scoff at the laid back attitude she’s receiving. Turning to Sooyoung for support, she finds her friend turning red from holding back her laughter. Great, she’s no help either.

‘Listen, sweetie. We all know you have the most willpower and self-restraint among all alphas in this whole region. She’ll be safest with you. They’re high-ranking agents and can defend themselves but neither one has much field experience. Besides, you never date or anything, maybe it’s good to be around an eligible bachelorette, hm?’

 

***

It’s midnight

In a different space

I’m getting dizzy, yeah

 

***

 

Jinsol still can’t believe she’s supposed to have Jungeun staying with her out of the blue. Of course, she understands that she has the space for another person, and they get along so it shouldn’t be an issue, except for the large issue that is Jinsol’s tiny crush on the other girl. She huffs as she rolls around in bed. The moon glares at her through the window, reminding her of her incoming rut the next week. She just hopes to get the mission done before it hits. Even with suppressants, she doesn’t know how she’d react around an unmated omega in her apartment during it, especially not when that omega is the gorgeous Kim Jungeun.

 

Her cheeks heat up at the thought of her. Jungeun, Heejin, and Hyunjin are coming in tomorrow already. They haven’t talked in a few days due to the stupid mission briefings and paperwork taking up all of their time. At least the mission details were drilled into her by now, and they’re all fairly confident it’ll go smoothly as long as they rely on each other’s expertise.

 

Jinsol continues rolling around, her mind filled with thoughts of the mission, Jungeun, and everything that is to come the next day. She tries to get herself to sleep but it simply isn’t working. The thought of meeting Jungeun in the flesh for the first time tomorrow is simply too exciting for her. Her heart feels like it’s running double time despite her simply laying in her bed.

 

***

 

I feel like you’re gonna peer into my heart yeah yeah

You’re toying with my mind

 

***

 

Jungeun fixes her hair for the umpteenth time in the past 2 hours, nerves dripping off her in thick waves.

‘Jungeun, you look drop-dead gorgeous as always, calm down. You probably have the same effect on everyone there as you do back at headquarters.’

Heejin tries to comfort her friend, patting her on the back gently. Next to her, her mate, Hyunjin, shoots the stressed alpha a cat-like smile, her large hands wrapped around Heejin’s waist. Jungeun smiles back at her nervously before looking out the window, the Jung office now fully in view.

 

As they park underground, their driver lets them out and leads them to the entrance. Their luggage is brought in by some lower-level agents who bow at them in respect and follow them at a respectful distance. Once inside, they’re led through to an elevator to take them straight to the head’s office. Jungeun feels her nerves spike at an all-time high as they get closer to meeting their partners for the mission.

 

As the elevator dings and the doors open, Jungeun barely registers being led up to large wooden doors that open to reveal a huge office, not unlike the CEO’s main office back at the headquarters. An older alpha with a friendly smile greets them each with a handshake and nod of the head before leading them further into the office.

‘Welcome! We’re very glad to have you here for this collaborative mission!’ He points at a lounge set off to the side, some coffee, tea, and biscuits ready for them. Hyunjin’s eyes grow as she eyes some croissants off to the side and Heejin all but has to hold her back from scarfing them down in one bite.

‘Please, sit and enjoy something to drink and eat, you’ve had a long drive.’

They all smile back in thanks and take a seat together.

‘Hello, my name is Ha Sooyoung, it’s a pleasure to meet you all. I’m afraid my idiot of a partner is lagging behind a bit this morning.’

Sooyoung appears dressed immaculately, sporting a teasing smile on her lips. She goes around greeting each of them with a handshake, similar to how the boss greeted them, before taking a seat and helping herself to some tea.

‘And where exactly, pray-tell, would she be, dear Sooyoung?’

The boss’ voice is soft and sounds amused but there’s a sparkle of disappointment in his eyes. Sooyoung flaps a hand around non-committedly.

‘She barely slept and when I dragged her out of her apartment she said she had to go get a drink for our guests.’

They all frown and shrug as they look back over to Sooyoung to further explain. Sooyoung’s lips stretch into another teasing smile as she looks straight at Jungeun. Jungeun swallows hard, feeling somewhat exposed under the alpha’s gaze.

‘Well, to be more exact, and these were her exact words, ‘I promised Jungeun I’d get her a boba tea when we first met!’, so I assume she went out to get you that.’

 

The boss sighs, knowing how thoughtful his daughter is and how much value she puts in promises. Jungeun’s cheeks redden instantly as Heejin playfully pushes her shoulder and chuckles at her side. Jungeun can’t believe Jinsol would remember that off-handed remark she made months ago when they were discussing her overly sweet boba tea order. Let alone that she would actually go through with it.

‘Sorry I’m late!’

Everyone turns to the door as it bursts open, Jinsol standing there, breathing heavily from having run the whole way up because the elevator took too long. Her dark hair is slightly sticking to her forehead from the sweat she worked up in her frenzy to get Jungeun’s diabetes drink. As soon as Jinsol looks around the room and finds Jungeun’s dark eyes looking back at her, her heart seems to stop. She finds herself drowning, falling deep, and she doesn’t care if she doesn’t come out alive.

‘Thanks for finally gracing us with your presence, daughter dearest.’

Jinsol squints and shoots an awkward smile towards Jungeun before turning her head and bowing to her father. As relaxed as he usually is with formalities, when it comes to guests, he expects her to respect his position as head of the family and company, as well as come in on time. Taking a deep breath, he cuts her some slack, noticing the pheromones spreading between her and Jungeun.

 

Your eyes make my heart stop

 

Jungeun’s heart skips a beat as she senses Jinsol’s sweet pheromones floating towards her. They envelop her, gentle but firm, as was Jinsol’s gaze earlier. She blinks once the eye-contact is broken, slowly coming back to reality. Jungeun never realised Jinsol was the boss’ daughter. They have the same last name, but that wasn’t uncommon or unheard of. Jungeun has been over her file numerous times and not once was this mentioned anywhere. Then again, it’s probably a safety precaution. She follows her with her eyes as Jinsol slowly walks up to her father, bowing respectfully and bringing the back of his hand to her forehead as a show of subordination.

‘My apologies, alpha. I uh, had a promise to uphold.’

Shaking his head, he pats his daughter on the shoulder before leading her over to the rest.

‘You’ve always been a stickler for promises, dear. Come, introduce yourself to your team for this mission. Though, I suppose you already know Jungeun there.’

Jinsol gently bows, a soft blush on her cheeks as she moves to greet Heejin and Hyunjin, who shoot her teasing smiles and winks. Meanwhile, Jungeun is shaking in her seat with anticipation.

 

‘Hey.’

Jinsol comes to stand before Jungeun, slightly taller than the omega, allowing her to look down to meet her eyes. Standing so close, Jungeun finds it hard to concentrate.

‘Hi.’

Jinsol lifts her right arm to show a sweet-looking boba tea cup, filled to the brim and topped with whipped cream. She gently hands it to Jungeun, who appreciates having something to hold on to, cooling her down in the moment and grounding her.

‘Hope they made it the way you like. I don’t know enough about boba to really attest to their expertise but one of my friends recommended this shop when I asked.’

Jungeun smiles up at her in thanks before taking a much-needed sip from the sweet and cool drink. She relishes in the way the drink slides down the back of her tongue and down . Jinsol swallows hard as she watches her drink and her lips to get rid of the residue.

‘It’s perfect, thank you, Jinsol.’

Jinsol smiles proudly and takes a seat next to Jungeun, ready to get this over with so they can have some time alone at her apartment. Every inch of her being is yelling at her to hold Jungeun in her arms right now.

 

***

Not tryna talk, just tryna kiss ya

***

 

After the briefing, the 5 of them pile into Jinsol’s car, Sooyoung taking the front passenger seat and the rest of them settling in the back. The tension in the car is palpable and Sooyoung tries to diffuse it by making small talk with Heejin and Hyunjin. She ends up talking about her own mate, Jiwoo, the entire ride and hopes they all get to have dinner together sometime after the mission to meet and celebrate if all goes well.

Heejin and Hyunjin readily agree, being the social pair and Jungeun finds herself nodding absent-mindedly, eyes settled on the vice grip Jinsol has on her steering wheel the whole 15 minute ride to the secured apartment complex.

 

‘Hyunjin, Heejin, you 2 are on my floor so I’ll show you to your apartment. Your luggage should be there already waiting for you.’

Hyunjin stretches as she steps out of the car before helping Heejin out with a gentle hand. Sooyoung shoots Jinsol a wink and wave before walking off to lead the agents to their new home for the coming days. Jinsol steps out of her car shakily and makes her way around to open the door for Jungeun, glad that her manners are somehow still intact while this close to her crush.

‘Let’s go up?’

Jungeun nods with a blush on her cheeks and takes the gentle and warm hand Jinsol offers her, clinging on tightly as she’s led to the elevator. Jinsol swipes her card and the elevator shoots up, no-doubt aiming for the top floor. Jinsol clears and tries to not let her eyes wander, simply focusing on the way Jungeun’s hand fits perfectly in hers, soft and small. Jungeun is stuck in her own head, confused about how she’s feeling so much at once. It feels strange to not be able to have their usual banter simply because they’re seeing each other in person for the first time but there’s a thick tension in the air between them that neither one of them seems to be able to place nor shake.

 

***

 

You can’t catch your breath at my touch

 

***

 

The elevator dings and opens up at the top floor, Jinsol’s personal penthouse. It’s one of the privileges she has as the next-in-line for the Jung pack.

‘Wow…’

Jungeun can’t believe her eyes when they step out into the large lobby of the penthouse. She wasn’t expecting it to be this big, despite knowing Jinsol definitely comes from money, and now having found out she’s the next-in-line alpha for the Jung pack. She briefly glances over the space before being compelled to turn back to Jinsol, still holding her hand tightly. Her jaw is locked tight, eyes dark and blue-rimmed. Gulping hard, Jungeun takes a step closer, raising her free hand to caress Jinsol’s cheek and jaw gently. As her fingers graze over soft and warm skin, Jinsol’s eyes flicker down to look her in the eye.

‘You never mentioned being part of THE Jung pack… let alone being the heir.’

Jinsol remains silent, not sure how to reply, her gaze softens ever so slightly as her eyes trace over every freckle on Jungeun’s face. Her features are so soft yet outspoken, it’s taking Jinsol’s breath away.

Jungeun takes a deep breath, lowering her hand to rest on Jinsol’s broad shoulder, thumb lightly brushing at the base of her neck. Jinsol’s muscles are tense under her touch. Every bit of training in her tells her to back away from this tense and potentially dangerous alpha, but every cell in her being tells her to give in to the alpha instead.

‘Jinsol… talk to me, please.’

The alpha grunts at the way Jungeun’s name rolls off her lips, grip on the omega’s hand tightening ever so slightly. She’s trying so very hard to not overwhelm the omega in front of her, but finds herself slipping as Jungeun looks at her expectantly. She closes her eyes and lets go of her hand, taking a step back to put some much needed distance between the 2 of them.

‘Just… give me a moment?’

Jungeun nods, even though Jinsol can’t see it, and remains quiet, her hands dropping to her sides. While Jinsol tries to compose herself, Jungeun only feels more of a need to nuzzle up against the alpha and scent her, calm her with her own omega energy. Itching to do something rather than stay still, as she’s known to be quite impatient, Jungeun decides to offer them both a distraction by walking around the apartment.

‘This place really is huge. Perks of being an heir and high-ranking agent, huh?’

 

Jinsol slowly opens her eyes to find Jungeun walking towards the living area with a sway of her hips and she can’t help but follow behind, addicted to her voice and existence. She clears , keeping a safe distance between them.

‘I suppose so. It can feel lonely though, having this much space to myself…’

Jungeun turns to her with a gentle smile, glad to see her distraction is working. Jinsol still looks very on edge, but at least she’s talking to her.

‘I can only imagine. My place back at headquarters is barely the size of this living room.’

She traces her hands over the edge of some picture frames, set out on a cabinet against one of the walls. Jinsol feels an unnecessary and unexplainable rage build up inside her at the thought of Jungeun living in less than the luxury she deserves. As she looks at her back, long wavy locks flowing over her shoulder just to end above her perfectly sculpted and legs, she decides to make a move.

 

Jinsol moves with purpose, stalking up behind Jungeun until her nose is almost buried into the younger’s hair. Jungeun straightens her posture instantly, sensing Jinsol’s presence so close behind her.

‘Jinsol?’

The alpha gently places her hands on Jungeun’s hips, who instantly finds herself heating up and leaning into the touch. As her back makes contact with Jinsol’s front, both find themselves letting out a sigh of relief. Jungeun closes her eyes and lightly tilts her head, allowing Jinsol to lean down and nuzzle against the side of her neck, taking in her scent. At this point, both of them long realise their attraction for the other, but are too scared to voice it.

 

***

 

What is this feeling? Is it love?

 

***

 

Jinsol inhales her scent deeply, squeezing Jungeun’s hips as she gets overwhelmed by the sweet scent of a willing and wanting omega. She usually has much more restraint than this, being used to omegas trying to get with her because of her title but never giving them much thought. Work and family always comes first to Jinsol but now, with Jungeun so close to her and smelling so divine, she finds her resolve slipping away.

 

Jungeun isn’t doing much better, indulging Jinsol’s gentle ministrations, fully aware of the heavy pheromones hanging around them like a thick cloud. Jungeun has always been a very sought-after omega, but her work was always top priority, until she befriended a certain alpha thanks to said work.

‘You smell so good…’

Jungeun nearly melts into a puddle at the husk in Jinsol’s voice. She flutters her eyes open and bites her lip, slowly turning around in Jinsol’s hold to face her. Her hands find their way to rest on Jinsol’s chest where she can feel the rapid thrum of her heart beat under her palms. Jungeun hesitantly leans closer as Jinsol’s dark eyes bore down on her. She has the overwhelming urge to scent Jinsol too, but she’s well aware of the fact that most alphas don’t allow that level of vulnerability so easily, not even with their mates.

 

Jinsol catches her eyeing her neck, Jungeun’s nose twitching at her alpha scent so close. A low rumble pulls up deep from within Jinsol’s chest and Jungeun’s sure she made the wrong move when she’s suddenly pulled in closer, one of Jinsol’s hands coming up to rest on the back of her head, pulling her in to effectively nuzzle against the alpha’s throat. Her heartbeat quickens even further as she indulges herself and takes in Jinsol’s scent greedily. She smells sweet, but fresh, like lavender. Jungeun can’t believe she’s casually scenting an alpha, only a few hours after meeting for the first time. Then again, this is Jinsol, whom she’s known for a while and who she’s had a crush on for half that time.

 

Jinsol closes her eyes and claws gently at the back of Jungeun’s head, massaging her scalp and running long fingers through her dark tresses. The feeling of Jungeun scenting her is like a never-ending high, making her feel like she’s floating, just the 2 of them together, high above the clouds, where nobody can touch them or disturb them.

 

***

 

If you feel my breath you’re falling for me

Not tryna talk, just tryna kiss ya

 

***

 

Jungeun nuzzles along the expanse of Jinsol’s long neck, up to her jaw, before gently pulling back after having memorised the alpha’s scent as if it were her own. Jinsol’s hand moves from her hair to her jaw, grasping lightly, placing her forehead against Jungeun’s with a sigh.

‘Jungeun, please tell me I’m not the only one feeling like this?’

Blushing, the omega smiles as their eyes meet and shakes her head lightly.

‘I don’t know what to make of it, but if you mean the insane attraction between us both, I think you’ve been onto my pheromones since the moment we met eyes in that office.’

Jinsol nods, closing her eyes as she pulls Jungeun impossibly closer. With every second spent so close to her, she feels her resolve crumble more and more. Jungeun is becoming more and more irresistible and they’ve even already scented each other. Jinsol is going insane.

Jungeun wraps her arms gently over Jinsol’s shoulders, leaning her entire weight against the alpha. Jinsol gently grasps her chin and squeezes her hip, leaning in ever so slightly.

‘Jungeun, can I kiss you?’

The omega sighs, finding herself melting at the extreme self-control the alpha holding her is showing. With the amount of pheromones and signals she’s been giving off, she’s sure any other alpha would’ve bedded her already by now. Not Jinsol, her sweet and gentle alpha.

‘Please…’

Jungeun all but whimpers as Jinsol finally leans in to press their lips together in a tentative kiss. They move against each other gently for a moment, before their lust starts getting the better of them and Jinsol presses Jungeun up against the cabinet behind her, deepening their kiss. Jungeun moves her hands up to tangle them in Jinsol’s dark locks, against her lips as she feels a swipe of Jinsol’s tongue against her bottom lip. Jinsol’s senses are overwhelmed by the omega in her hold, everything in her is screaming out Jungeun’s name with need and want. Once she hears Jungeun she snaps herself out of it, not wanting to push too far. They barely just met, and yes they may have scented each other already, but Jinsol is nothing if not a gentlewoman, well-raised by her parents.

 

She pulls back, chest heaving with shallow and quickened breaths as she looks at the slightly dishevelled Jungeun in front of her. Jungeun’s pupils are blown, a dark red rim glowing around them. She looks absolutely stunning with her lips slightly swollen and glossy like that.

‘God, you’re gorgeous…’

Jungeun smiles as Jinsol pecks her lips once more. Then she moves backwards, allowing them both some breathing space. Running a hand through her hair, Jinsol clears and her lips before turning back to Jungeun, holding out her other hand.

‘Could I show you to your room? I’m sure you’d like to freshen up a bit, and I can make us some dinner?’

If perfection exists, Jungeun is sure she’s found it in Jinsol as she takes her hand gently and leads her down a long corridor. Jinsol uses another key card to open this door at the end of the hall, leading Jungeun inside. The room is bigger than anything she’s ever stayed in, with a door leading to a large en-suite bathroom and a walk-in closet to the side. Jinsol watches from the doorway as Jungeun explores the room before coming back around to stand in front of her.

‘This is your room now, and this is your key card. It’ll let you take the elevator up to here, and allows you alone to enter your room from the outside when it’s locked.’

Jungeun frowns at the level of security as she takes the card from Jinsol’s long hands.

‘Why do you have a room with a lock like this in your own apartment?’

Jinsol blushes and scratches the back of her neck shyly, looking absolutely adorable to Jungeun.

‘Ehm, when I found out you were staying here, I requested it. I wanted to make sure you’d feel comfortable here. I mean, we’ve known each other a while but we’re still an unmated alpha and omega staying in the same space, and that might be intimidating and so I wanted to make sure you’d have your own space to feel safe in and there’s scent neutralisers attached to the ventilation in here too actually, see if you-’

Jinsol’s ramble is cut short by Jungeun stepping forward and pulling her down into a sweet kiss. Jinsol smiles against her lips and opens her sparkly eyes as Jungeun pulls away with a grin on her own lips.

‘You’re probably the most thoughtful alpha in existence. Thank you, Sol.’

Jinsol’s chest puffs at the complement and the nickname coming from Jungeun. Jungeun plays with the collar of Jinsol’s dress shirt as she smiles up at her with a blush on her cheeks.

‘I want to make it 100% clear that I’m comfortable around you, and that I trust you, Jinsol. If anything, I don’t trust myself around you.’

Biting her lip, Jinsol pulls Jungeun into a tight hug, nuzzling into her hair. Jungeun reciprocates easily, melting in her strong hold and smiling against her chest.

 

***

 

I wanna fall in love witcha

Not trying to think tonight

 

***

 

Jinsol hums to herself happily as she finishes plating their dinner. She’s about to turn around with the plates in her hands when she smells Jungeun entering the kitchen. Before she can embarrass herself by dropping the plates, she turns around to greet Jungeun and lead her to the table. She notes that Jungeun has changed into more comfortable clothing, sporting some grey sweatpants and a loose-fitting T-shirt. Her hair is slightly damp too, as she likely didn’t want to spend too much time drying it after her shower.

‘Well, now I feel overdressed.’

Jinsol chuckles as she wraps Jungeun into a tight hug. It feels so natural to be touchy with the younger girl, she can’t help but love the way Jungeun fits in her arms. Jungeun smiles and wraps her arms around Jinsol’s waist, looking up at her cutely.

‘Then go get into something more comfortable.’

Jinsol pecks her nose with a hum before pointing to their plates of dinner ready on the kitchen island behind her.

‘Let’s eat first. Don’t want to let dinner get cold.’

With a nod, the pair breaks apart and Jinsol pulls out a chair at her dining table for Jungeun. Once the omega is seated, she serves their dinner and turns to her with a smile.

‘Any preference for what to drink? I have wine, both red and white, some light beers, some soda, and juices or water too.’

Jungeun tilts her head in thought, looking absolutely endearing to Jinsol, who walks towards her large fridge while she awaits a reply. Eventually, Jungeun seems to make up her mind with a nod and smiles at Jinsol.

‘Some soda would be nice. I don’t drink during missions.’

With a nod, Jinsol pulls out a bottle of soda and grabs 2 glasses from her cupboard before walking back to the dining table and pouring them each a glass.

‘Good choice, my queen. Ever so diligent.’

 

Jungeun chuckles as Jinsol raises her glass in a toast, clinking it playfully against Jungeun’s own glass before they each take a sip and dig into dinner. It doesn’t take them long to finish their meal, as both had been starving from a long day of briefings and meetings. Jungeun helps Jinsol clean the table and dishes, playfully bumping against each other as they stand at the sink. Jinsol chuckles as they finish and puts away the dish towel before leaning against the counter and looking over at Jungeun. She’s loving the domesticity of having Jungeun in her home. She wasn’t lying when she said it gets lonely in such a big apartment by herself. She usually ends up visiting Sooyoung and Jiwoo, or spends so much time working that she only really sleeps at home. Now, with Jungeun here, the place is starting to feel more lively and colourful.

‘So, what now?’

Jinsol hums and looks down at herself still dressed in her work attire. She chuckles before pointing towards the living area.

‘You can go relax on the couch and pick a movie or channel to watch while I get dressed down for the night?’

Jungeun nods and smiles, kissing Jinsol on the cheek as she walks past her towards the living room. Jinsol doesn’t waste time in rushing down the corridor to her own bedroom to jump into the shower and get her own comfy clothes on.

 

Jungeun settles on a random documentary about sea creatures, melting into the plush navy blue couch underneath her. Her legs are curled up by her side, laying her side against one of the arms of the couch. It doesn’t take long for the scent of a freshly showered and still damp Jinsol to reach her, making her sigh and vibrate with anticipation. As Jinsol comes into view, she can’t help but swallow hard. The alpha is tying her long damp hair into a loose ponytail, wearing a pair of loose shorts, showing off her toned legs, paired with a skin-tight tank top. Jungeun feels herself heat up and Jinsol notices the shift in energy in the room instantly. She takes pride in the fact that Jungeun reacts to her usual sleep attire in such a way. Once she has her hair tied up, she walks over to the couch and takes a seat right next to Jungeun.

‘Comfy?’

Jungeun nods, her eyes still raking over Jinsol’s toned body. Jinsol sees the red glint in her eyes return and senses the omega’s want and need. If she’s honest, she doesn’t think she can say no if Jungeun decides to make a move. Jungeun sits up before leaning over to Jinsol, wrapping her arms around her neck tentatively. Jinsol watches her every move with bated breath, heart pounding fast in her chest.

 

‘Jinsol…’

The alpha only hums in response, entranced by Jungeun’s dark eyes, drowning in them slowly. Jungeun leans in closer, painfully close. Jinsol’s hands automatically come up to wrap around Jungeun’s thin waist, pressing into her skin lightly. Jungeun’s resolve breaks and she presses their lips together, pressing her body against Jinsol’s as if she’ll die if they lose contact. She wants to melt into Jinsol, to be one with her, to never leave her side. Jinsol easily lifts Jungeun into her lap, effectively having the omega straddle her. Jungeun’s thighs tightly press against the outside of Jinsol’s legs, pinning her into place underneath her. Their kisses deepen, breathing growing erratic as they lose themselves to each other. Jinsol wants to drink in all that Jungeun is willing to give her. Her alpha howls out for Jungeun in a way she’s never felt before. She feels like she’ll snap in an instant if someone dares to hurt her Jungeun, her queen.

 

Jungeun isn’t doing much better, clawing her fingers into Jinsol’s exposed shoulders as they make out, grinding down on her lap. She’s never wanted someone this badly. She’s never wanted someone to claim her and mark her like her inner omega is asking from Jinsol right now. Jungeun moans as Jinsol grinds up against her, nails digging into her hips with a grunt. It’s Jinsol who breaks the kiss, leaving Jungeun a whiny mess.

‘Sol… don’t…’

The alpha hushes her gently and holds her close on her lap, placing gentle kisses all along Jungeun’s jaw and throat. Jungeun bites her lip, tilting her head to give Jinsol all the access she needs. When Jinsol gets to the base of , she feels her canines wanting to come down through her gums and puncture Jungeun’s creamy skin. She fights the urge with a groan and tilts her head back up to gently kiss Jungeun’s lips once more.

‘Jungeun, I don’t want to rush things…but you make it hard…’

Jungeun whimpers, pulling at Jinsol’s heart strings but she remains resolute, pulling away and moving her hands up over Jungeun’s sides gently until she reaches her cheeks and looks her in the eye. Jungeun’s pupils are still blown, lips swollen and glossy but Jinsol can hear her heartbeat slowing again as they look into each other’s eyes, adjusting to each other’s slowing breathing rhythm.

‘I’m sorry… I really don’t know why I feel the need to.. to be so close to you…’

 

Jinsol ends up turning the volume on the TV up slightly as Jungeun winds down and curls up in her lap, against her chest. Jinsol’s hand comes to rest in her silky hair, playing with it, lulling Jungeun into a blissful sense of peace and comfort. If only they could stay like this forever. Unfortunately, the reality is that they both need to wake up early the following morning for their mission. After a while, Jinsol notices Jungeun’s breathing slowing more, indicating her sleepy state. She gently pokes her side, which causes her to flinch heavily and grunt.

‘Hey, sleepyhead, let’s get you to bed.’

Jungeun nods sleepily as she sits up on Jinsol’s lap, rubbing her eyes. She looks so small and fragile to Jinsol, she just wants to protect her. Before Jungeun has a chance to get off her lap, Jinsol has already scooped her up in her arm, leaving the omega to yelp in surprise before wrapping her arms around Jinsol’s neck tightly. She doesn’t know whether her heart is pounding due to the sudden lift, or due to the fact that Jinsol is strong enough to simply lift her like that, seemingly unbothered.

‘Hush, you barely weigh anything. I’ll be making sure you eat well while you’re here.’

Jinsol flashes her a teasing smile as she walks towards Jungeun’s room. Jungeun can only hide her reddening face in the crook of Jinsol’s neck, secretly inhaling her soothing scent, lulling her further into sleep. Jinsol gently opens the door and tucks Jungeun into bed, placing a gentle kiss upon her forehead.

‘Sleep tight, my queen. I’m down the corridor if you need anything, okay? I’ll see you in the morning.’

Jungeun mumbles a good night of sorts, already halfway asleep. With a chuckle and a full heart, Jinsol closes the door on her way out and shakes her head at how her day has gone so far. She turns off the TV and pops by her office, ensuring all security is still up and running perfectly, before going to her own bedroom, falling onto her bed with a soft plop.

 

***

 

La da da da da da da yeah yeah ya

No more, we’re not friends

 

***

Jungeun is woken up by a soft knock on her door. It takes her a moment to realise she’s in Jinsol’s guestroom, having been tucked in by the alpha the night before. Sitting up and rubbing her eyes, she swings her legs over the side of the bed and gets up. She remembers Jinsol isn’t able to enter her room once the door is swung shut so she sleepily waddles over and opens up the door to the room for her. She’s met with the sparkly eyes of a freshly showered and well-dressed Jinsol.

‘Good morning, slept well?’

Jungeun smiles up at her and nods before stepping closer to lean against her. She simply can’t get enough of Jinsol’s scent and warmth. Jinsol wraps her arms around her in response, pressing a gentle kiss against her temple. She’s dressed and ready for the day, having woken up an hour prior to make breakfast for the both of them and check in with the rest of their team on how they’re all feeling this morning. Jungeun plays with the black tie Jinsol is wearing, a token accessory of their field agents’ business attire.

‘I should get dressed too, shouldn’t I?’

Jinsol chuckles and nods down at her, squeezing her waist playfully. With a light grunt and peck on Jinsol’s cheek, she turns around and waddles towards the bathroom.

 

‘I’ll be in the living room. Oh, and after breakfast the others are coming up here. My father decided it’s best to discuss the rest of the mission away from prying eyes at my personal office.’

Jungeun shouts back in understanding before gathering clothes and getting ready to shower and dress for the day. Her own business attire consists of a suit much like Jinsol’s but without the added accessory of a tie, her dress-shirt ed at the top, a slightly more casual office look. She makes sure her hair is down in gentle waves, having noticed how much Jinsol seems to like it. It doesn’t take her long to get ready and she steps out of the room, closing the door behind her.

 

‘Hey, made us some coffee too. There’s creamer and sugar on the table for your sweet-tooth.’

Jinsol shoots her a toothy grin from where she stands in the kitchen, next to the coffee machine. She walks over with the coffee pot in hand and pours them each a cup before pulling the chair out for Jungeun to sit comfortably at the breakfast table. Jinsol leans over to kiss her on the cheek before taking her own seat and taking a sip of her coffee, black and bitter to keep her awake and grounded.

‘Thanks, Sol. Is your father coming in for the meeting too, then?’

Jinsol nods, taking a look at her phone vibrating next to her. She reads a text from Sooyoung and chuckles.

‘He’ll be the last to enter as he still has some business to finish back at the main office. I’ll be in charge of the meeting until then. Sooyoung just texted me that Jiwoo wants to come see us before the meeting. Is it alright if they come up for a bit?’

Jinsol looks over at Jungeun with a gentle look in her eye, letting her know it’s okay to decline. Jungeun is well aware of Jiwoo being Sooyoung’s mate, and one of the recruiting trainers of the academy. She’s well versed in martial arts and an absolute people person, always wanting to meet new people. She’s voiced her excitement for meeting Jungeun on multiple occasions to both Jinsol and Sooyoung due to the obvious crush Jinsol sports for the omega. Jungeun takes a bite of her breakfast, mulling it over for a moment in her mind. She’s aware of the fact that after last night’s scenting, their smells are still very much mixed and even though they didn’t do much, their interest for each other is clear to any wolf out there regardless of their rank. Then again, Jungeun would love nothing more for someone else to acknowledge that there’s something more between the 2 of them than just being close friends.

‘That sounds nice. I should try meeting more of your friends while I’m here, right?’

 

Jinsol nods and shoots Sooyoung back a text before digging into her breakfast, eyeing Jungeun in between bites. Her mind lingers on the end of Jungeun’s sentence too much. She’s well aware that whatever is between them will come to a pause whenever Jungeun has to return to headquarters, regardless of them deciding to date officially or not. A single word flashes through her mind, as it has been all night. Mate. She feels the incessant urge to mate Jungeun, to claim her as her own and be her only alpha, for life. But they just met and Jinsol it’s sure it's the pent up tension releasing after seeing her crush in the flesh for the first time. She twitches in her seat, heat flaring in her chest at the thought of marking Jungeun. The omega sitting in front of her sets down her fork and takes another slow sip of her coffee. Her chest puffs in pride, watching Jungeun enjoy the meal she made for her, in her home, using her cutlery and smelling like a mix of both their scents. Jinsol freezes, eyes widening in realisation. They’d scented each other the night before, and now Jiwoo and Sooyoung are coming over, as well as the rest of their team later. And her own father!

 

With a grunt, Jinsol smacks her head on the table, next to her plate. Jungeun startles and looks over in concern.

‘Jinsol? What’s wrong?’

Jinsol lifts her head slowly, a cute pout on her lips as she huffs and looks back at Jungeun.

‘They’re going to tease us…’

For an alpha of her rank and status, Jinsol sure is a big softie at heart. Of course, Jungeun was already well aware of this for a while. She chuckles and gets up, moving to stand beside Jinsol who finally sits up properly again to look up at her. She cups the alpha’s sharp jaw gently, rubbing her thumb over her cheek.

‘Then let them?’

Jinsol itches to pull Jungeun down into her lap and claim her as her own, but she holds back, opting instead to reach up and hold her other hand. Jungeun’s smile is so endearing, it fills Jinsol’s heart with warmth.

‘You don’t mind?’

Jungeun shakes her head and makes the executive decision to sit on Jinsol’s strong thighs, leaning in close to let Jinsol take in their mixed scents once more. There’s no point hiding it at this point anyway.

‘Jinsol, at this point we somehow already smell so much like each other that people would assume we’ve been dating for years, not just met yesterday in person for the first time.’

Jinsol grunts and nuzzles into Jungeun’s hair, wrapping her arms around her waist to pull her closer on her lap, relishing in her warmth and scent. Mate.

‘I don’t mind. Whatever this attraction is, it’s not going to go away anytime soon, and frankly, I don’t want it to either.’

Jinsol gulps at the implication of Jungeun’s words. She never wants to push too hard or rush, but Jungeun is giving her the chance to seize this opportunity and voice her attraction. She leans back to look into Jungeun’s dark eyes, seeing nothing but adoration and want in them. She briefly captures her soft lips in a kiss before leaning their foreheads together.

‘Jungeun, I want you. I want you to be with me so bad…’

It’s the confirmation Jungeun has been so desperately craving since yesterday. Her inner omega howls with pleasure at the pure want and need in Jinsol’s words and deep voice. She leans in to press gentle kisses all along Jinsol’s jawline and throat, submissive pheromones pouring out of her like a waterfall, making Jinsol tense up and pull her impossibly closer on her lap.

‘You have me, Jinsol. I’m here, I want you too.’

It takes every muscle in Jinsol’s body to not give in to the whiny omega on her lap and take her right then and there at the breakfast table. Taking a deep breath, she pulls Jungeun away from her neck, trying to not crack at the whine and pleading look she gives her in response. Noticing the hard look in Jinsol’s eyes she gives in, ready to please her alpha and follow her orders. She sits up on her lap, allowing Jinsol some breathing space, playing gently with the baby hairs at the base of Jinsol’s neck, trying to turn her scent soothing, instead of wanting. It doesn’t take long for the effect to set in, Jinsol’s possessiveness subsiding and making place for a protective and comforting presence of her alpha scent instead.

‘Thank you. You know I want you, just, not now.’

 

Jungeun doesn’t take it as a rejection. She knows they have work to do and that Sooyoung and Jiwoo are on their way to see them, they can’t afford to lose their control now. Jinsol’s phone pings with another message from Sooyoung, letting them know they’re riding the elevator up to her penthouse. With a sigh, she shows Jungeun the text and smiles as she gets off of her lap and pecks her lips before starting to clear off the table. She quickly follows after the younger girl, helping her clear the table in record speed, leaving the dishes for the dishwasher to figure out later.

 

***

 

I’m way into you

Into your orbit

Feeling twilight, oh uh

 

***

 

‘HOLY CRAP, Jinsol!’

Sooyoung’s voice booms from down the hall, moments after the elevator dings to announce her and Jiwoo’s arrival. Of course, the second the doors opened, the filtered elevator space gave way to Jinsol and Jungeun’s mixed scent in the apartment, hitting Sooyoung’s sensitive nose head on. Jiwoo slaps the back of her mate’s head and shoots her a look.

‘Stop that.’

She knows Sooyoung loves teasing Jinsol but this is her first time meeting Jungeun and Jiwoo doesn’t like making people feel uncomfortable so she’s trying hard to keep her mate in check. After a few moments, Jinsol walks into the lobby, beckoning them in further.

‘Ehm, hi. I just made a new pot of coffee, would you like some?’

Jinsol’s voice wavers ever so slightly under Sooyoung’s teasing look, but she stands tall, pride at the mixed scent around them evident in her eyes. Jiwoo nods as she walks closer, ready to give her a hug in greeting.

‘We’d love that, Jinsol! Good morning.’

Just as she’s about to hug her, Jiwoo stalls, sensing a protective and sour scent coming her way from the living room. She turns her head to find who she assumes to be Jungeun standing up from her seat on the couch, glaring daggers at her. Jinsol and Sooyoung pick up on it soon after and Sooyoung pulls her mate back to her, wrapping her arms around her from behind as Jinsol steps into the living room, standing in front of Jungeun. She looks at her with a pointed but soft look, willing her to calm herself in front of their guests. Jungeun blinks, taking a moment to realise there’s no real threat, these are mated friends of Jinsol that would never be able to do anything inappropriate with her alpha. She shakes her head of the thoughts rushing through her mind.

‘Sorry, I don’t know what came over me…’

 

Jinsol moves slightly out of the way, taking Jungeun’s hand in hers and beckoning their friends to come take a seat.

‘Sorry, about that. Ehm, I’m Jungeun, it’s nice to meet you, Jiwoo. I’ve heard a lot about you and your work at the academy.’

Jiwoo instantly brightens up and happily waves and smiles at Jungeun in greeting, not wanting to risk a flare up again. They clearly haven’t mated yet but show strong potential for making that bond quicker than most couples with how strongly they react to potential intruders after only a day of being together. Sooyoung lets go of her but stays close, shooting a nod at Jinsol before moving to sit on the couch opposite of them, Jiwoo following her effortlessly.

‘It’s great to finally meet you, too. Also happy to see you and Jinsol hit it off well in person too.’

She shoots a playful wink their way, causing Jungeun to blush and Jinsol to smile proudly, taking a seat next to Jungeun on the couch before pouring them all a cup of coffee. Jungeun tightly holds her own cup in her hands, to avoid getting too touchy with Jinsol. In front of her, she watches with envy as Jiwoo is comfortably leaning against Sooyoung, one hand holding her coffee mug and the other on the alpha’s knee.

‘So, how do you plan on going about this with your dad?’

Jinsol rolls her eyes and sighs, setting her mug down and running a hand through her hair, messing up her bangs. Jungeun shuffles slightly closer to her, knees touching, easing her worries slightly.

‘ Ugh, don’t remind me. You know this is all new to me, Soo. I’m just hoping he focuses on the mission instead of Jungeun and me.’

Sooyoung nods, squeezing Jiwoo closer to her, a thoughtful look on her face. Jiwoo looks up at her mate with a raised eyebrow before shaking her head and turning back to her fellow omega in the room.

‘You guys know he’ll prioritise the mission, it’s too high profile for him to get distracted, which goes for all of you. I expect you all to return my mate to me in one piece, breathing and well after this mission, understood?’

There’s no malice in her voice but Jungeun can’t help but tense up. She just realised that Jinsol is a field agent, and the chances of her being wounded during any mission is definitely there. Of course, she always worried about her before this week, but now she’s here with her in the flesh, and they’ve scented and Jungeun’s heart is constricting in her chest at even the thought of losing Jinsol now.

 

Jinsol senses her distress first, taking the cup of coffee out of Jungeun’s hands gently and setting it on the table before holding her small hands in her own warm and larger ones.

‘We’re all coming back safe and sound, okay?’

She shoots Jiwoo a pointed look, to which she smiles apologetically, her attempt at small talk clearly causing Jungeun to spiral in her thoughts. Jinsol moves to lean in enough for Jungeun to catch her eye properly and smiles at her.

‘You’ve been planning it out with Heejin for days, you two are the best of the best in your field, and so are Soo and I. We’ll be fine, I promise.’

The confident look in Jinsol’s eyes finally allows Jungeun to catch her breath once more, slightly relaxing and leaning into her shoulder, burying her face into the soft fabric of her blazer. Jinsol wraps an arm around her tightly, offering her comfort. On the other side of the coffee table, Sooyoung looks at Jiwoo with meaning. They share an understanding look, both wondering why the pair in front of them is being so touchy and attached, without even being mated or having claimed one another.


 

***

 

No where we hide it

We might feel awkward

 

***

 

Jiwoo and Sooyoung head off after a little while, giving Jinsol and Jungeun some time to recompose themselves while Sooyoung picks up Heejin. The second they’re alone again, Jungeun nuzzles against Jinsol’s neck, taking in her scent greedily. Her mind is all over the place, worried about Jinsol and the mission, while also absolutely intoxicated by the attraction between them. Jinsol pulls her closer, running her hand through her hair again to soothe the omega in her arms.

‘Talk to me, Jungeun.’

She doesn’t receive a response, instead, a distracted Jungeun starts placing small kisses and all along the alpha’s exposed throat and jawline. She tenses at her ministrations, worried that Jungeun is leaning into her pheromones too much, almost acting like an omega in heat. Jinsol hisses and gently pulls her away from her neck, looking her in the eye to find her pupils blown once more, eyes hazy and unfocused.

‘Jungeun, we have to be focused. Everyone is coming in soon.’

She holds her at an arm’s length and tries to block her pheromones from mixing with Jungeun’s more, hardening her look at the omega. If it weren’t for Jinsol’s self-control, there is no way either one of them would still be clothed or sane at this point. Jinsol can feel Jungeun’s wolf call for hers and it’s almost painful to deny it.

 

‘Jungeun, you need to calm down.’

Jinsol puts authority in her voice, forcing Jungeun to snap out of it, not wanting to upset her alpha. She blinks, eyes widening. She can’t stop seeing Jinsol as her own alpha, even though they haven’t discussed it yet. Pulling away and curling into herself, she mumbles a soft apology. Jinsol sighs and pulls her into a warm hug, soothing her worries.

‘Don’t be. I just don’t know how long I can keep holding back if you’re calling for me like that..’

Gulping, Jungeun nods in her arms and moves out of her hold, looking up into Jinsol’s eyes.

‘I know… I can’t help it and I don’t know why…’

At this point, Jinsol wonders if they should contact the health service after their meeting, to make sure neither one of them are having a strange imbalance in hormones causing this. She gently wipes away the tears gathering at the corners of Jungeun’s eyes and shushes her. Jinsol places a gentle kiss to each of Jungeun’s cheeks before getting them both up from the couch. Jungeun’s small hand is clasped tightly in her own as she walks with her towards her office. Jungeun tries to focus on her breathing, calming herself for the meeting to come. Jinsol unlocks her office with the biometric keypad next to the door, briefly pressing her hand to it. Once inside, Jungeun looks around, distracting herself.

 

The office is a large space with a corner desk on one end, an oval table meant for meetings in the middle, and a projector on the wall. There are several filing cabinets on the sides as well, and a small corner reserved for drinks and snacks. It’s clear that Jinsol has given it her own twist with patches of blue throughout. Jungeun has noticed by now that blue is her favourite colour, briefly reminded of the glow of blue she sees in her eyes from time to time. Jinsol lets go of her hand once they’re inside and moves to the other corner of the room, where there’s a small division room. Jungeun hears a beep similar to the one the door they just went through made and realises there must be an external entrance to the office space for the others to come in through.

‘Hey, good morning.’

Jungeun hears Heejin before she sees her, happy to have her friend close. The familiarity helps her calm down further and she walks up to her to greet her with a smile. Heejin pats her shoulder for a moment before flinching at the sound of Jinsol growling next to her.

The growl is briefly followed by Jungeun whimpering and almost running into Jinsol’s arms. The moment the omega is pressed up against her, Jinsol blinks and finds herself calming down. She frowns as she makes eye contact with Sooyoung, not quite knowing why she reacted so strongly to Heejin greeting Jungeun. Heejin being a Beta makes her significantly less of a threat to their budding relationship, and she’s mated as well.

 

‘I.. I’m sorry, I don’t know what came over me, Heejin.’

Heejin tilts her head and nods with an amused smile before taking her seat at the desk, setting her laptop down to pull up her files and notes on the mission. Meanwhile Jungeun has wrapped her arms around Jinsol tightly and looks up at her in pure submission. Everything about her screams that she’s Jinsol’s and hers alone, further soothing the alpha’s sudden rush of possessiveness. She runs a gentle hand through Jungeun’s soft hair, before pressing a kiss to her forehead and leading her to the table. Sooyoung shares a look with her before taking a seat next to Heejin, effectively creating a barrier between them. Once everyone is seated, Jinsol starts their final overview before her father arrives with the final details.

 

***

 

It’s us, Oh uh

 

***

 

As she’s about to call her father to check on him, his scent reaches her and she turns to the door to greet him. Once he walks through the door, the others stand up from their seats and bow towards him respectively as well. He takes a moment to send them all a nod before lingering on Jungeun. Sooyoung and Heejin retake their seats quietly, waiting to see what’s going to happen next. Jungeun freezes in place, pupils shaking as she’s faced with Jinsol’s father and his strong alpha presence. Jinsol senses her discomfort and doesn’t realise she’s tensed up and growling lowly at her own father, ready to pounce at a moment’s notice. This surprises her father and Sooyoung immensely, knowing that she’d usually never react this way to her own father. He is still the alpha of their pack as well, so he holds power over her.

 

‘Well, that’s new.’

He looks away from Jungeun and eyes his daughter with a teasing smile. It is then that Jinsol notices she’d been growling and bows deeply in apology to him.

‘I’m sorry, alpha. I am not sure what caused me to act in such a disrespectful manner.’

Shaking his head, he points between her and Jungeun.

‘Most likely this whole mating bond you suddenly have going on.’

Jungeun gasps, eyes widening at the fact that Jinsol’s father could not only sense their attraction but assumes they’re ready to mate already too. Jinsol raises her head in confusion and looks back at Jungeun for a moment, finding her equally confused.

‘What do you mean? I’m aware we’ve scented, which is maybe a bit uncommon this early on, but-’

Her father lets out a chuckle and shakes his head before guiding her to take a seat at the table, next to Jungeun. Their hands automatically find each other under the desk, comforting one another. Jinsol’s father crosses his arms as he sits down and looks at them amusedly.

‘Daughter dearest, I always knew you were special, but I never expected this. Sweetie, I think you and Jungeun are true mates.’

 

Jinsol blinks. And then she blinks again. And then she registers Jungeun tensing in the seat next to her, hand gripping tightly onto hers and she turns to her for comfort.

‘Sir, with all due respect, that’s highly improbable and just told as a fairy tale or bedtime story for kids.’

Jungeun’s eyes are blown as she looks Jinsol in the eye, confused by the explanation given. She barely registers Heejin’s voice questioning it all, but the answer comes through clearly from the oldest alpha in the room.

‘It’s very rare, but entirely real, my dear. Last recording of a true mated pair is from over a decade ago.’

Heejin starts typing away on her laptop, trying to find information on true mates and what it all means. Sooyoung crosses her arms and looks across the table at her partner with a smile. She had an inkling of it when she smelled their scents earlier, and Jiwoo had told her the same as she walked her back to their apartment after meeting them for coffee. It’s the only way to explain their instant connection and extreme compatibility and clinginess.

‘Father, what does it mean for us?’

 

Before her father can answer, Heejin is rattling off the results from the research she’s been conducting in their short moment of silence. They all turn to her with interest.

‘Usually, when wolves find a compatible mate, they can choose to come together and create an official mating bond. In the world, multiple compatible wolves may be around for each wolf out there. However, once 2 wolves mate, they are mated for life and will no longer feel any compatibility with another. True mates are very rare but have been recorded throughout history as wolves who have one true mate with which they have an instant connection, stronger than any regular mating bond out there. A true mated pair is more in tune with each other after officially accepting each other, and are incapable of finding any other mate. Those lucky enough to find their one true mate are said to possess enhanced physical abilities and extreme synchronisation with their mate. Their wolves will call out for each other, allowing for a direct mental link between the 2, as well as enhanced sense of each other, regardless of distance.’

Jinsol’s father chuckles, nodding in approval at the explanation Heejin found online, while the rest are staring at her in absolute shock. Jinsol turns to Jungeun once more, noticing her slowly starting to panic.

‘Jungeun, breathe…’

The omega holds back tears, looking up at Jinsol shakily before being instantly pulled into her arms, held tightly against her chest. Jungeun shakes against her but instantly finds herself calming down as she inhales her sweet scent.

 

‘Which means, my dear, that your souls were meant for each other, and you are extremely lucky to have found each other in this big world we live in. Congratulations, dear.’

Sooyoung smiles and grabs her phone to shoot Jiwoo a text about the latest news, while Heejin finds herself snapping out of her stupor, getting up and calling Hyunjin. In Jinsol’s arms, Jungeun slowly calms down, rubbing at her eyes. The sudden realisation hit her like a truck, taking her breath away and threatening to stop her heart but once she let it sink in, she realises it perfectly explains everything about their relationship, even before they met in person. Looking up at Jinsol’s concerned eyes, she caresses her cheeks, determination in her own eyes.

‘I love you, my alpha.’’

The raw emotion in her voice makes Jinsol’s heart shudder and she smiles widely at her omega. She realises that Jungeun is who she’s been waiting for her whole life, ready to give her all she has just to have her by her side as her omega.

‘I love you too, my omega.’

 

Getting up, CEO Jung breaks up the moment to inform them he’ll make some calls and call them with information later.

‘I can’t have the 2 of you on this mission. Neither of you will be able to fully focus, no matter how hard you try. Luckily almost everything has already been planned out. I’ll have our next best field agent partner up with you for this, Sooyoung. And Heejin, I’ll let you take your pick out of our best mission coordinators to have as your assistant for the mission.’

Not allowing any room for argument, he shoots his daughter a proud wink and turns to leave the meeting room, his phone coming up to his ear as he walks out. Sooyoung pats Heejin on the shoulder and helps her pack up before nodding with a smile at Jinsol and Jungeun.

‘We’ll see you guys later. Don’t get too crazy.’

With a chuckle and wave, they too walk out, closing the door behind them, allowing the high security locking mechanisms to click into place.

 

***

 

You’re within the reach of my hand, yeah yеah

(Within the reach)

Why on earth do you misbehave?

 

***