What If

What If

"Hanbin-ah!!! I know you're inside!!!" Hayi keeps pressing the doorbell of Hanbin's apartment. 

Hayi and Hanbin have been best friends since grade school. They know each other too much that they know when one of them has a problem. 

In the case now, it's Hanbin. Hayi is trying to invite him to go out with him for days, but he wouldn't budge. It was then that Hayi found out that his boss rejected the 7th proposal he presented; given his weird Instagram post and ranting on his dummy Twitter account, she knew that her best friends needed a drink right now.

Hayi pressed the doorbell again, "Kim Hanbin, I swear to God, if you don't open this damn door, I will call a locksmith!" she pressed the doorbell again.

Then, the door opens, and Hanbin welcomes her with his messy hair, wrinkled sweater, and pajama bottoms.

"You're annoying as hell," he mutters before heading inside, leaving Hayi. Hayi let herself in and closed the door. She took off her shoes and went to the living room, where she found Hanbin lying on the sofa with a blanket on.

"Yah, it's not like this is the first time that your boss rejected your proposal," Hayi said as she placed down the fried chicken take-out and cans of beer on the table.

"That idiot just hates me because he saw his girlfriend staring at me during the office party. He's making me suffer for something I have no control over. Is it my fault that I'm younger and more handsome than him?" Hanbin huffs.

Hayi grins, "So, my best friend still exists." Hayi picks up the pack of beer, "Do you have cold ones on your fridge?"

"Yes."

Hayi walks towards his mini kitchen and opens the fridge. She took out the cold packs of beer and put the one she bought inside before going back to the living room.

"My pants are brand new. Let me sit on the sofa! Get up." Hayi said. Hanbin sat up and gave her space to sit. Hayi sat down, took two cans of beer, and gave one to Hanbin. 

"Have you tried talking to him about this?" Hayi asks.

Hanbin took a sip of his beer before answering, "I tried, but he always tells me that he's not bothered by me. But when his girlfriend visits, he always asks one of my officemates to send me to the stockroom to sort the boxes," Hanbin rests his back on the sofa.

"This is why I'm telling you to date again, so you can put a picture of the two of you on your table and let her pick you up from time to time so your boss won't be insecure about you!" Hayi points out.

Hanbin looks at her, "I have a picture of us together on my table,"

"Yes, the one when we are in high school and with our parents. Everyone in your office knows I'm your best friend, you idiot," Hayi slaps Hanbin's arm.

Hanbin sips his beer again before he scoots closer to Hayi and rests his head on her shoulder. "You always nag me about dating again, but you don't date, too."

Hayi smirks, "Why would I date someone when I'm already having headaches because of you,"

"Idiot," Hanbin mutters.

"I am. That's why we're best friends." Hayi giggles. Hanbin sat up straight and stared at Hayi. She's eating the fried chicken that she brought for Hanbin now. Hayi is the only woman who can tolerate him. He has had three girlfriends so far, but none makes him happy, comfortable, peaceful, taken care of, and loved and drove him crazy as Hayi did.

"Hayi?"

"What?"

"What if we just date each other?"

"Yeah, right. Our parents will immediately set a date for our marriage. Since they met in our school performance in 4th grade, they always say that we should get married someday," Hayi took her beer and sipped it.

"Exactly. Your parents love me, and my parents love you. We've been best friends forever. We know each other, even the smell of our farts!" Hanbin said. Hayi slaps his back this time.

"Think about it, Hayi. We will be happy if we date. We fight, but we always fix it," Hanbin said.

"Are you drunk before I arrived?" Hayi scowls at him.

"I'm not! I'm serious," Hanbin frustratedly said. Hayi faces him and sets her beer aside. "You think we will work as a couple?"

"I don't know. But we're best friends, and we're okay so far."

"We are okay because we're best friends, not lovers." Hayi points out. "Aren't you afraid that if we date and break up, it will ruin not just us but our family's friendship?" Hayi points out. 

"What if we are okay? What if we're great and be happy together?" Hanbin asks.

"Are you even attracted to me? Do you even like me for you to think of dating me?" Hayi asks. "Can you imagine holding my hands, hugging me, or kissing me?" 

Out of nowhere, Hanbin leans closer, closes his eyes, and kisses Hayi. Hanbin kissed her because he wanted answers to her questions.

Hanbin expected a strong slap or pushed him off her and left him there, for Hayi to say that their friendship ended there and she never wanted to see him again.

Hayi suddenly pulls away but Hanbin cups her jaw and kisses her again; eyes still closed as he savors the softness of her lips. She didn't pull away from him, however. He knows that Hayi was shocked by his action. He was about to pull away when Hayi's lips parted and placed her hands on his shoulders. She also wants answers to her own questions. Her lips start moving, kissing Hanbin back and letting him explore her, prodding him to do the same.

Hanbin moves his lips against her. Hayi wraps her arms around his neck as they continue to kiss. She's almost sitting on his lap. Hanbin placed one of his hands on her lower back while the other was on her nape.

Hayi pulls away again and catches her breath. Hanbin opens his eyes and meets Hayi's stare. She shyly smiles at him. Hanbin touches her jaw again as she stares at her. 

"I'm sorry, I—" Hanbin was about to say something, but Hayi stopped her.

"Don't be, I…." Hayi suddenly feels shy and rests her forehead against Hanbin's. They remain quiet for a while, but Hanbin hand still caresses Hayi's back.

"Are you going to be like this if we start dating? Kissing me and touching me out of nowhere? Hayi said in a hushed tone. 

"I will do other things, too," Hanbin jokingly said. Hayi giggles, which makes Hanbin smile.

"Let's do more, then," Hayi says before kissing Hanbin again. Hanbin happily gave in to her.

It was a long night for them, and they both knew that they couldn't go back to being just friends after that.

Hanbin woke up alone in bed the next day, but he could hear someone managing his kitchen. He rises up, goes to the bathroom to freshen up himself, grabs a shirt and pajama from his closet, wears it, and heads outside the bedroom. 

He found Hayi in his kitchen, making breakfast, wearing the sweater Hanbin was wearing yesterday. It looks big on her, but he finds it cute. 

"Good morning," he greets her. Hayi looked in her direction and smiled, "Good morning. Set up the table, let's eat some breakfast." she said. Hanbin just does what she told him to do.

They have breakfast together while talking about Hanbin's failed proposal that he knows has excellent potential if his boss is not an . Hayi also told him that he should dispose of expired food from his fridge and go grocery shopping later, and he agreed. 

Hanbin cleaned up while Hayo decided to clean up the beer and chicken last night. After a bit of cleaning, she sat down on the sofa and stared outside the window where she could see the Han River. 

Hanbin went to the living room after doing the dishes and cleaning up the dinner table. He arranged the pillows on the end side of the sofa sat there while his back was against the piled pillow. Hayi looks at him. Hanbin pats the spot between his legs. Hayi smiles and crawls towards him. She sat between his legs as Hanbin wrapped his arms around her tiny waist, pulling her closer to him. He kissed the temple of her head before Hayi rested her back against his chest and placed her hands on his forearms resting on her stomach.

"Are you okay?" Hanbin asks.

"I'm okay," Hayi mutters. "You?"

"I feel great," Hanbin said. "So... You agree? Are we dating now? You're my girlfriend now, right?"

"Yes, we are. We're best friends and lovers now," Hayi said. "Hanbin?"

"Hmm?"

"Last night, while we're doing it, you continuously saying you love me." Hayi points out. Hanbin stiffens, but he tries to calm himself.

"Since when?" she inquires.

"Like two years ago? Something like that. I saw my last ex, and we talked. She was getting married back then. She then asked me how you are. I told her about you. It was then she pointed out that I was in love with you. That I was blinded by our best friend set up, that if only I were brave enough, I'd be happy with you. I should have listened to her. She's always right, anyway," Hanbin said before kissing Hayi's cheek. 

Hayi giggles, "She's my favorite ex of yours."

"How about you? Are you in love with me?"

"Are we doing confessions now?" Hayi huffs.

"Why not? No secrets now between us," Handin sternly said.

"I knew I loved you, but I realized that I was in love with you when you went to that event I attended because my supposed partner ditched me for that fashion model he met. When I saw you in those dark blue formal suits, I suddenly realized how I wanted to be with you for the rest of my life, but I was a coward back then. I was afraid that I would lose you if I told you what I felt." Hayi confessed. Hanbin laughs, "We could have been dating for two years now if we're just brave,"

Hayi giggles, "I know, right? But, I want you to know this. If you cheat on me, I'll beat you up, okay?"

"That will never happen. Once we tell our parents we are dating, they will start planning our wedding. You can escape from me now," Hanbin said. Hayi laughs at her boyfriend's silliness. 'Boyfriend,' she thought. Right, Kim Han Bin, her best friend since grade school, is now her boyfriend. 

"Hanbin?"

"What?"

"Can you say it again?" Hayi murmurs. Hanbin holds Hayi's jaw and tilts her head to face him. They stare at each other's eyes. 

"I love you. I'm madly in love with you," Hanbin said.

Hayi wants to melt at that moment. He loves her, and it feels so good. "I love you, too," she said before leaning to kiss him. Hanbin kisses her back before pulling away at each other as Hayi takes a deep breath before she sighs.

"What's wrong?" Hanbin asks.

"Nothing," she said. "Will we be okay?" she asks.

"We will. We'll do our best, Hayi," he said before kissing the top of her head. 


A/N: Epilogue on Feb. 14!