two

My Summer With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ever since I was under Dad’s care, it really hit me hard on how good of a father he was. It was thanks to him that I was able to breathe, rather than feeling constantly suffocating. Being here at camp, surrounded by at least a seventy other teenagers was like being trapped once again- just like how I felt before moving. 

An hour has passed since Mom had last checked me in and wished me a great summer, and here I found myself to the side of the crowd. I took a glance at my surroundings to see that there were actually a few selected individuals who looked like they were forced beyond their own wills by their parents to be at camp, but for the most case, the majority of the campers were already socializing and hyping each other up on how fun the summer is going to be. 

Mr. Yu, going down the roster one-by-one, assigned us in cabins and practically forced us into teams that we are stuck with for the rest of camp. While waiting for him to give me my team and to assign a cabin number to drop off all my belongings, my eyes drifted towards the center bulletin board that listed daily activities and had a visual of the entire campground layout. It has been a couple of years since I have been back to Camp Nanji, but everything seemed to be located in the same format. Right in the smack middle of the map was where we were currently meeting up, and that would be the gate entrance and just off to the side are the main structures consisting of Mr. Yu’s office, the emergency and injury infirmary, and the cafeteria. Moving further inside actual campgrounds are more buildings for the arts and crafts, and the indoor recreational center. On the opposing side of the two buildings was where all the cabins were located- starting from counselor cabins and dragging all the way to the end for camper cabins. Beyond the buildings was where the setup for the majority of outdoor activities was at, varying from basketball and tennis courts, swimming pools, zip-lining, and lastly a trail that leads off into the woods toward the beautiful Crystal Lake.

Still not hearing my name called, I sighed and rested my head on the wooden board. Suddenly from the corner of my eyes I see someone waving their arms in the air, charging directly at me while yelling out my name.

“Kim Minjeong!” Ningning opens wide, engulfing me in a warm hug. “It has been so long, I’m so glad to see you again after you left! A bit shocking to run into you here ever since your first camping experience years back?”

“Honestly, I am shocked as well- do you mind pinching me to wake me up from this nightmare?” I jokingly said, then adding on, “It is seriously a long story, but to sum it all up… I was supposed to be back in Busan to spend the summer with my mom, but it turns out she got married without me having a single clue. So here I am, while she is out on her summer-long honeymoon. I am so glad you’re here though- it’s nice seeing a familiar face.”

//

Mr. Yu was your typical middle-aged father-figure looking man; he was clearly someone who was actively fit just based on his sharp calves and broad shoulders. It took some time but it was finally my turn to be placed in a group. One-by-one the names of those in my team were called to the front to receive our name badge, a couple of camp shirts, a blue-bandana to distinguish which team we were in, and some additional supplies like water bottles and such. 

“Minjeong, Ningning, Ryujin, Yeji, Aer- sorry Giselle, Yuna, Doyoung, Mark, and Renjun. You are assigned to triple bunkers in cabin 8, 9, and 10. There are six girls on this team so you guys can discuss between yourselves how to split up, and the boys are all in one of those cabins. I will also be assigning your counselor who is in charge of your team for the rest of summer, and you guys are known as the Sharks.”

“What kind of team name is Sharks, when we are nowhere near the damn ocean right now-”

“Minjeong,” Ningning jumps in, “Sharks are a pretty cool species, powerful too I might add!”

“Still, whoever chose the team name should question their competency… who thinks of camping and comes up with Sharks?” completely dumbfounded by the uncorrelation and knowledge of whoever this mystery person is. 

“Unfortunately, team names will be permanent for the rest of summer, but you can go ahead and check out the other teams to see if you are interested in switching once I place the roster up” Mr. Yu jokes as he hands the cabin keys to Ningning. “Start unpacking as soon as you are in your cabins, you will have about one hour before we meet back up here to walk into the cafeteria for a late lunch. I will assign your designated counselors when everyone is done eating. Although there are many counselors out there, the one who is off-limits is none other than my wife, Mrs. Yu, who is the main chef at camp! I do have two favorite counselors, that is Jongin and Jimin, or they also go by Kai and Karina. They are my two kids who help me run summer camp, don’t run around telling the other counselors I have biases though” he lowers his voice slightly in a joking manner. 

He continues on with his booming voice, “That is all the announcements I will have for now, go ahead and head to your cabins- I will see you all in a bit for the opening assembly and lunch.”

As soon as we were dismissed by the head camp director, Ningning led me along to the cabin area. I spaced out for a second as the other girls in my team split into two groups of three. Once I was in the zone again, I realized that I would not be rooming with Ningning as she was taken by Giselle and Yuna. I, on the other hand, had to walk into

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter