ONE

Crush

Chapter One: Boreum

“Thanks for meeting with us. We’ll let you know about our decision soon.” 

 

Interviews. My actual worst nightmare. Nothing more crippling than the anxiety leading up to the first question, the scramble to remember all my over-practiced answers, the devastating defeat that always hovers over my head like a heavy rain cloud after. I hated it all. 

 

With a small pout, I glance over my shoulders at the towering glass building. Just one look into the hiring manager’s beady eyes and I knew that I was not going to make the cut. My shoulders deflate with disappointment. This was what? The fifth interview since graduating? Then this means this would be the fifth rejection. Unfortunately, the whole job search ordeal hasn't been working in my favor since leaving university. Even with a degree, the job market was chewing me alive and spitting me back out. 

 

Employers wanted experience, but what experience could a fresh college grad like myself have in my back pocket? 10 years of experience for an entry level interior design position? Ridiculous. It’s like they are purposely keeping us out of the candidate pool. For what reason? I wouldn’t know. 

 

Ring!

 

I glance down at the four letter name that scrolls across the screen of my phone: Chen. This kid always had impeccable timing. We’ll just call it his brother senses or something.
 

“Ten minutes sooner and you would’ve interrupted my interview,” I greet. I can hear the shuffle of people in the background on his end.
 

“How did it go? Is my little sister going to be working down the street from me?” Chen chuckles. With a puff of air, I mentally and emotionally prepare myself to tell him the news. He seems to sense it though and immediately beats me to a response.
 

“You literally just finished your interview, Boreum. You don’t even know the results yet, don’t sell yourself short.” One of Chen’s many big brother duties is dealing with my lack of confidence. It’s not that I don’t have the skills to back me up. I do. I just always doubt myself. Why? I couldn’t give you a direct answer.
 

“You should’ve seen the look in his eyes, Chen.” I try to reason but the man clicks his tongue to silence me.
 

“You always overread everyone’s actions.” He scolds. He’s not wrong though. I do overread. Overanalyze. Overworry. All of it. It’s called anxiety and it’s always sitting on my shoulders.
 

“Anyway, you’re still in the area, right?” Chen asks. I can hear him moving on his end. Sounds like he’s locking up his office, maybe. I hum a yes.
 

“Meet me at the Chinese restaurant across the street from my office. I have a surprise for you,” He instructs.
 

“Your treat?” My mind completely skips over the part about a surprise. The only thing that matters is that I may be getting a free meal. I mean, I get free meals all the time since I’m still living at home, but that doesn’t matter. A free meal is a free meal, am I right?

 

My mind is already racing to figure out what dish I’ll have even before stepping into the restaurant. It’s safe to say I am famished after the nerve wrecking anxiety I’ve been drowning in all day. This restaurant isn’t like all the other modern, high-end eateries that run up and down the street. It’s quaint and homey with it’s emerald green walls and wooden furniture. My eyes seem to instantaneously find that familiar face in the lunch rush. His lips curl even more at the end as our eyes meet and he enthusiastically waves me over. 

 

“You look like a mess.” Chen snickers as he goes in for a hug. I roll my eyes. Brothers.
 

“It’s been a rough day.” I pout, sliding into the empty seat across from him. Without wasting a second, I reach for the menu splayed on the tabletop. I already knew what I wanted, but it doesn’t hurt to just confirm it with a visual.
 

“I already ordered your favorite.” Chen states.
 

“Jjampong with extra seafood?” I ask to confirm. He nods. A knowing grin dances on my face.
 

“Also, I have a surprise that will cheer you up.” A surprise? Oh, he did mention that earlier.
 

“You’re buying me my own flat?” I jokingly guess. If only Chen was that giving of a brother.
 

“Just because I have a salary job does not mean I have money for everything.” He chuckles.
 

“But I’m sure this surprise would make you just as happy.” He adds. 

 

I scoff, what could he possibly surprise me with that would be better than moving out? Don’t get me wrong, I love my parents, but after going to college and moving back in, it was unbearable to not have the same independence as before. Momentarily, my gaze flickers away from the laminated menu to the seat beside Chen, noticing a thin, denim jacket tossed over the back of the chair. Denim was not really Chen’s typical work attire. Actually, I’m pretty sure he was not allowed to wear denim to work in general. Is this a blind date with my brother third wheeling? No offense to Chen, but that’s not exactly my idea of a good surprise. I open my mouth to object to whatever plans Chen has in store but a familiar voice interrupts my train of thought.

 

“Boreum!” 

 

I can’t tell if all the blood in my face is draining or if it’s all rushing to my face and turning me into a tomato right now. One thing is for sure though, my heart is racing. I can quite literally feel every pulse beat against my ribs. Is this grounds for a heart attack? Air seems to fill my throat, making it feel like a desert, meaning I can’t utter a single syllable. I blink once. Then twice. That pearly smile is still in view. That means I’m not hallucinating, right? 

 

“B-Baekhyun.” His name stupidly tumbles from my lips. Gosh, I must seem like some awestruck groupie right now. How embarrassing. Baekhyun opens his arms. Does he want a hug? Oh gosh. This isn’t going to be good for me. Abruptly, I rise from my seat, not without accidentally bashing my knee into the leg of the table. I play it off though, I have to. 

 

“It’s so good to see you again, Bo.” 

 

Bo. Only Byun Baekhyun calls me Bo. It’s the pet name he has for his best friend’s little sister, me. It just appeared out of nowhere one day. I can clearly recall the war of butterflies that little nickname incited in me the first time he used it. It was a normal Tuesday night in September which meant that we were under the spotlights of the soccer field with the crowd in a craze. Baekhyun was the star player of our high school soccer team, go figure, and I was the team assistant, not by choice, of course. Chen had trapped me into the team assistant role by volunteering my name into the application, insisting that this would be the best way to help me make friends my freshman year. Yeah, with sweaty, hormonal teenage boys. I still question his thought process on that. Anyway, back to the story, Byun Baekhyun being the star athlete he was, had just scored another goal, pretty much sealing the win with a kiss, which also meant the coach would let him sit out for the rest of the game so other players could get some time in. 

 

He was a sweaty and muddy mess on the sidelines. Quite literally mud covered his once pristine, white uniform, legs, and even his face. His dark chestnut hair was matted with sweat. Even while reeking of body odor and grass, he was still undeniably attractive, if not more.
 

“Here,” I extended his water bottle to him, taking his attention away from the game. His eyes locked on my face and that contagious grin of his stretched across his lips, eventually reaching his brown irises like it always does. That was already enough to make my chest squeeze in delight.
 

“Thanks Bo.” And that just about did it for me. I became Bo, but only to Byun Baekhyun. 

 

“It’s good to see you too Baekhyun.” Baekhyun’s hug is like honey. Warm. Sweet. Enticing. Entrapping. I bite my lip, trying to keep myself sane enough to prevent melting into his arms for a second longer. That did not need to happen. Nope.
 

“I hope this isn’t your big surprise, Chen. I was expecting more.” I joke as we take our seats.
 

“Ouch, I’m hurt. I was really looking forward to this.” Baekhyun jests back, putting a hand over his heart like a wounded soldier. 

 

Byun Baekhyun still very much looks the same since the last time I saw him, at his high school graduation seven years ago. He still sports the same old milk chocolate hair and his features themselves have not changed. His body frame changed just a bit. What used to be a lean figure now has a bit more muscle and shape. It was nice, I’m not gonna lie. He looks extremely good, undeniably. You’d think someone would drastically change within a seven year gap, but not Byun Baekhyun. Even his laugh, smile, and gestures are familiar. I can’t even believe it’s been seven years. Baekhyun had left South Korea the summer after graduating high school. I mean, if I received a full ride to one of the best universities in the United States to play soccer, I would too. I haven’t seen him since, until now. 

 

The food arrives, thankfully creating a diversion from my racing thoughts. There’s nothing quite like the magic of food, especially my favorite ones. The aroma of the spicy broth seems to envelope me and seep into my body, only egging me to just devour it already. Today has been an emotional rollercoaster, so frankly, I think I deserve to just eat my feelings away right now. 

 

“So, what brings you back to Korea? Visiting your parents? Family reunion?” Chen asks the question that I have been wanting to know as well. I keep slurping noodles though, just letting my ears listen in.
 

“I’m actually going to set up an office here and start my branding in Korea.” Baekhyun answers. Branding? Oh, right. Chen mentioned that not only was Baekhyun a soccer star at his university, but he started his own fashion company right after graduation. What was it called? Private? Prevail? Privé. That’s it. Byun Baekhyun was the epitome of a success story. Every parent’s perfect child. Good thing he was an only child because that would be some tough competition.
 

“In fact, this office will actually be my new headquarters.” Baekhyun adds. 

 

That means only one thing: Byun Baekhyun is moving back to Korea. This also consequently leads to another fact: My first crush, who I am very clearly not over, is moving back to Korea. 

 


 

Enjoy :)