Oh She is

Oh She is

Gwiboon thinks she is too much in love with fashion for her own good. Her best friend and roommate Eunsook would lovingly tell her no, that it was perfectly fine to be passionate, but Gwiboon knows even behind those kind eyes and smile, there must lie judgement somewhere.

 

The judgement that she is facing now.

 

“Boonie, however in the world could you afford that?”

 

Gwiboon looks down at the masterful tailoring in her hands. A Versace La Greca print coat. Coloured in red and accented in blue, with a solid black vinyl collar and a button embossed with Versace's iconic Medusa. It is absolutely Gwiboon’s style and she already has a thousand outfits in her mind that could go along with it. After all, she has had time to think about everything she would do with it ever since she saw it on the catalogue.

 

“Gwiboon hello?” Eunsook waved her hand in front of her face, “I’m talking to you?”

 

"Y-yeah what were you saying?"

 

The stuttering gives her away. One thing about Gwiboon is that she is confident when she speaks- honestly with pretty much everything she does. Eunsook knows this best of all.

 

Eunsook narrows her eyes, "Who did you steal from?"

 

"I didn't steal from anybody!"

 

Eunsook attempts to snatch the coat from her hands, to which Gwiboon wails and holds it closer to her chest.

 

"Fine! Fine I'll tell you. But promise not to call me crazy."

 

She huffs and sits down on the ratty old couch of their tiny apartment, seemingly tired of Gwiboon's antics.

 

"I don't know what else can surprise me anymore."

 

"Oh no, this one definitely will," Gwiboon assures warily.

 

 

 

 

 

You see, Gwiboon hails from a conservative family from Daegu with humble earnings. Sure, they had saved up for her university expenses, but at fourteen Gwiboon had fallen in love with the American pop singers on her TV, which changed the course of her life forever- a very expensive course that is. The fees to study fashion are exorbitant, and her parents’ money barely pays for university, while she makes the rest of her living expenses by working as a cook in a cafe, which is so small it often has her working as a waitress too. Gwiboon’s life is hard.

 

 

 

Eunsook looks unimpressed by this dramatic retelling of her life so far. Gwiboon champions on.

 

 

 

Gwiboon is in the final year of her four year degree and she needs to complete a six month internship to graduate, but the thing about the industry is that you need connections to get a job. Plenty of them. You have your nepotism kids and your rich kids, neither of which Gwiboon qualifies for. It doesn’t matter that Gwiboon is self admittedly very talented, she’s a nobody as far as the fashion houses are concerned. Which led to her crying in an alley at the back of the building in which the offices of Comme des Garçons are housed, after yet another failed interview.

 

 

 

This has Eunsook leaning forward with sympathy in her eyes. Gwiboon doubts it will stay there for too long.

 

 

 

So once Gwiboon had wiped the remnants of her clunky mascara after the crying session- she might be upset but she would never be caught looking like a racoon- she swept her eyes over the nondescript street in hopes of finding a place with a washroom, when she saw the tiny door to a fortune teller shop. A very common occurrence in Seoul, but uncommon in the way it was situated in the working sector, and not the more touristy areas. Now look, Gwiboon was very down on fortune, and also very desperate. She was also addicted to astrology, thanks to Eunsook being an astrology lesbian.

 

 

 

Eunsook squawks at Gwiboon’s attempt to involve her in the story.

 

 

 

Naturally, Gwiboon of earlier today was extremely intrigued, and took it as a sign, maybe even fate. Speaking of signs, the shop had a neon one spelling Francesca’s Fortune. It was pretty and bold, and Gwiboon liked both of those things.

 

 

 

“You’re stalling, get on with it already,” Eunsook is miffed now.

 

 

 

Anyway, Gwiboon walked in, expecting to see an old lady, probably a foreigner, going by the name of the shop. But instead, there was a Korean girl about Gwiboon’s age, with shoulder length black hair and dyed silver ends, smokey eye makeup and in a sleek black sweater. Simply put, she was gorgeous. For a whole two seconds Gwiboon wondered if she had wandered into a Comme Des Garçons photoshoot instead, but the surprisingly tastefully decorated interiors- unmistakably tarot themed in purples and golds, and most importantly, complete with a crystal ball sitting on top of an ornate table, that let her know she was definitely still in the right place.

 

 

 

“So you met a hot girl. Good for you,” Eunsook grumbles, her own frustration over the lack of a love life being the topic of too many ice cream movie nights already.

 

Gwiboon shushes her.

 

 

 

 

 

This girl looked intimidating- at least had that aura about her. She also had not noticed the door opening, intensely staring at the crystal ball instead, which was kinda hot, her gaze-

 

 

 

“Oh my god,” Eunsook groans.

 

 

 

Going back to the story- Gwiboon cleared to catch the fortune teller’s attention, which made her jump in surprise, and then break out in a huge smile at the sight of a customer- which completely contrasted her earlier intensity. Gwiboon hesitantly smiled back, despite being nervous, because the girl was now adorable with her cheeks bunched up and eyes in crescents.

 

 

 

“That’s it I can’t stand your queer anymore-”

 

“Let me finish! We’re getting to the best part!”

 

 

 

Understandably, with the hope of a good fortune telling, and maybe a phone number, Gwiboon sat down in the chair opposite to the girl’s, who promptly introduced herself as Taeyeon- a witch in training. It was a testament to Taeyeon’s beauty that Gwiboon didn’t laugh in her face. Anyway, Taeyeon went on to inform her that she wasn’t good at fortune telling yet, but she had gotten good at wish granting. At this point Gwiboon was sceptical and reminded of the fact that she had not even asked for the price of a session, which should have worried her considering she only had about enough money to go back home. But Taeyeon marched on, and asked Gwiboon about her worries because that would help her grant a wish, and Gwiboon, simply relieved to have someone to talk to about everything plaguing her, shared. Quite a Lot. Even down to the frustration of never being able to afford one of the beautiful pieces in the fashion catalogues she browsed everyday.

 

 

 

“I don’t have a good feeling about this,” Eunsook declares.

 

Gwiboon nods gravely.

 

 

 

Taeyeon asked her if Gwiboon had any piece in particular she liked right now, which brought the conversation to the coat in question. Gwiboon thought it was a pretty useless fortune telling, but she could not deny that sitting in the company of a beautiful, albeit shy and somewhat weird girl was very charming. Gwiboon was about to ask for her number when Taeyeon brandished the Versace coat out of thin air, and laid it on the table between them.

 

 

 

“Look if you got a sugar daddy and you’re embarrassed to say it, it’s fine I won’t judge you.”

 

Gwiboon indignantly shakes her head, “Unfortunately I am serious.”

 

 

 

 

 

Gwiboon had screamed in surprise, and Taeyeon waved her hand, suddenly cutting off the sound. It was a trick many people in her life would pay good sums of money for, but she did not particularly appreciate it. Taeyeon then proceeded to tell her that Gwiboon could have the coat, as long as she promised Taeyeon her first born in return. Some part of Gwiboon thought that she had fainted in the alley, or she was hallucinating it, but the nylon of the coat was smooth under her fingertips and she definitely felt the goosebumps on her skin.

 

Gwiboon had always been a calculative person- a realist. So while this was definitely out of her realm of reality, she instantly got to thinking about the odds. This witch seemed legit, which- good for her. The coat also seemed legit. Her intention of having kids? Not legit. Gwiboon is a queer woman with plans of being a workaholic fashion designer- kids are simply not a part of it. So there was no harm to it really. She gets the coat, Taeyeon gets the promise of a first born she will never have. So, she signed the contract while Taeyeon smiled beatifically, and walked out with a two thousand dollar coat and a spring in her step. It was her win for a horrible day.

 

 

 

“Um.”

 

“It’s okay, you can congratulate me on the mastermind that I am.”

 

“You are no mastermind, I think you have lost your mind.”

 

“Ha ha. Good one Eunsook,” Gwiboon mutters with a deadpan face.

 

“No Gwiboon, I’m serious. Even if I believe all of this is real-”

 

“You should.”

 

“-What makes you think that you won’t have to actually give your first born?”

 

“Didn’t you listen to what I said? I’m not birthing anyone!”

 

Eunsook shakes her head,“Contracts are not that easy. Even human ones aren’t so what makes you think witch ones will be?”

 

“Because a person who can conjure up expensive clothes from thin air shouldn’t be thinking much of giving one away?” Gwiboon shrugs, “I don’t know and I don’t care. I’m hungry and I’m going to make dinner now.”

 

Eunsook simply sighs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gwiboon thinks she should start listening to Eunsook more because then at least, she’d know to expect the situation she is in right now.

 

The situation being Taeyeon lounging on her bed and eating the packet of chips Gwiboon has been saving to eat all day.

 

 

 

“How did you get here?” Gwiboon demands. She is paranoid about the passcode and so is Eunsook, so there is no way Taeyeon got in through the door. But then again she is a witch, so she probably didn’t need to.

 

“Uh..I’m a witch?” Taeyeon mumbles, confirming her thought, “I can teleport if I want to? Not for long distances though! I haven’t learnt that yet. I actually had to walk till your door and then I got in, but even that took a lot of energy and the chips were just lying around so-”

 

Gwiboon has just come back from a four hour long class on textile technology and her patience is running very, very thin. So thin, that her mind does not even pause to register that the witch had been actually serious about the deal, and that she is sitting here on Gwiboon’s bed for it. All she can feel is annoyance.

 

“Do you usually talk this much?”

 

That instantly shuts Taeyeon up, and despite Gwiboon’s irritation, she feels bad about snapping at her. Taeyeon is also dressed less intimidatingly today- no makeup, hair in a little ponytail and wearing a confusingly striped black and white sweater that makes Gwiboon’s eyes hurt just by looking at it.

 

“Anyway,” Gwiboon hates how gentle her tone turns, “What are you doing here?”

 

“So I could check that you will keep the deal?” Taeyeon says in confusion.

 

“Are you aware that having a baby takes nine months?”

 

Taeyeon huffs, not unlike a cute child, and Gwiboon has to fight to keep a smile off her face.

 

“Of course I do. But you need to get started at least. How else will I know you will honour the contract?”

 

Gwiboon thinks of shoving Taeyeon off her bed.

 

“Sorry, but that’s not happening anytime soon. I don’t even have a boyfriend or any male presence in my life so you could chalk that out. Also why the hell did you ask me to promise my first born? What are you even going to do with a baby?”

 

Taeyeon pauses in her munching, contemplating Gwiboon’s question, before shrugging.

 

“I don’t know. Traditionally witches ask for that stuff right? So I did it. But this boyfriend thing-” Taeyeon checks her out from head to toe, and okay, Gwiboon is kind of weak for those eyes and she blushes despite her anger, “You can easily get a boyfriend. You’re really good looking. Do it quickly.”

 

This time Gwiboon does shove Taeyeon off the bed.

 

“You- you don’t even know what you are doing? What do you mean witches traditionally ask for that stuff? How many deals have you made like this?”

 

Taeyeon, initially offended at being pushed, now looks up at her with an apologetic expression, “You were my first! I told you I’m a witch in training. Now look, I really need that baby because I can’t have my first deal fail you know? You do like men right? If not that’s a problem but we can try and pay for an IVF-”

 

“No,” Gwiboon answers, “Absolutely not. None of this is happening. Neither a boyfriend or a test tube baby. Get out of my room before I throw something at you.”

 

Taeyeon pouts, but obediently enough, poofs into thin air.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Okay so I did some research on your dating history-"

 

Gwiboon drops her bowl of ramen on her shirt in surprise. Eunsook screams and holds tight to her own one.

 

Taeyeon blinks innocently from the dining table chair she has just materialised on.

 

"What the . Is this real?" Eunsook studies Taeyeon.

 

"I told you to believe me!" Gwiboon huffs, dabbing onto her shirt with a paper towel, "And Taeyeon, I thought I told you to leave me alone."

 

"And I told you I will not let my first deal fail. By the way, if you don't honour your contract a curse will befall upon your life," Taeyeon says smugly, poking at the remnants of Gwiboon's food with chopsticks she conjures in her hands.

 

"Can you make food appear too?" Eunsook asks in fascination.

 

Taeyeon gives her a brilliant smile, happy at someone being in awe of her skills instead of admonishing them, "Some snacks here and there but not really. Food is trickier because I can’t just make it appear by imagining it through a picture- it’s mostly taste and sensation. But I can fix that with more training."

 

"Hello? Did everyone miss out on the part where I will apparently get cursed?"

 

"I told you this won't turn out good," Eunsook shakes her head.

 

"What kind of curse are we talking about here?" Gwiboon shrieks, ignoring Eunsook, "The bad luck kind or the death kind? Because those are two very different situations."

 

Taeyeon shrugs, "Dunno."

 

Gwiboon narrows her eyes, "Is there actually a curse or are you just threatening me?"

 

She looks hesitant, but then her expression turns smug again, "You won't have a way of knowing if it's true or not anyway. Better to be safe right?"

 

“She’s right,” Eunsook nods sagely.

 

“Whose side are you even on?”

 

“As I was saying,” Taeyeon continues cheerily, “I researched your dating history. You have dated both guys and girls and your last boyfriend was this guy named Woohyun. Unless you are a lesbian deluding yourself into liking men, which, I absolutely know how it feels, because I am one-”

 

Eunsook hums approvingly.

 

“-So you are definitely into guys. So no IVF. Though I must say, this Woohyun seems very lesbian bait, I won’t be surprised if-”

 

“Stop. Stop,” Gwiboon moans in agony, “Yes I am into men too though I prefer women more. God.”

 

Taemin smiles as charmingly as a used car salesman sealing the deal on a scam of a car.

 

“Before you ask how I know all that, I have a crystal ball. It’s pretty cool and I’m training on it too! I can watch some stuff from the past. Still working on the future bit.”

 

“Wow Taeyeon, that's really cool,” Eunsook grins, amazed.

 

“I repeat, whose side are you on?”

 

Though Gwiboon has to admit Taeyeon is cute. Really cute. As a rule of thumb, Eunsook adores people like that, which is why Gwiboon often wonders how she ended up being best friends with her. Gwiboon is anything but cute, with her sharp angles and sharp words. Taeyeon on the other hand, has the best of both worlds- intimidating when she wants to be, like the brief moment of intenseness Gwiboon had witnessed, to the softness with which she talks animatedly with Eunsook, explaining how her older sister is a witch as well as her mentor, and she desperately needs to impress her to go further in her training.

 

“You need to help Taeyeon,” Eunsook states at the end of their conversation, throughout which Gwiboon sits there feeling like a third wheel.

 

“Eunsook I can’t. Hypothetically even if I were to want children at some point in my life, I am not getting knocked up now. Or in a relationship. Or married. Or anything at all.”

 

Taeyeon frowns, “Well we can at least start by getting you a boyfriend. That way I can at least show my sister that my first contract is a work in progress!”

 

“Work in progress?” Gwiboon questions incredulously, “Why you little-”

 

Her body slams into the table when she jumps across it to have a swipe at Taeyeon's arm, only to meet air where she had just been moments ago. Eunsook laughs at her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next time Taeyeon materialises in her life, it’s at work, where Gwiboon is a thousand times more alert than at home, which at least saves her from dropping the whole tray of baked goods on the floor.

 

“ing hell,” Gwiboon swears, “The apartment was fine at least, but public spaces too?”

 

“It’s a kitchen,” Taeyeon deadpans, stealing a lemon tart.

 

“Anyone could walk in!”

 

“Trust me, I have more to lose than you if someone sees me teleport,” she says wryly.

 

Gwiboon falters. She does have a point.

 

“Well you could always send a text. Can’t you see my number in that crystal ball of yours?” She still can’t help but shoot back.

 

Taeyeon snickers, “If I texted then how would I get the enjoyment of seeing your shocked face?”

 

“I can’t believe I used to think you were hot,” Gwiboon mutters, safely depositing the tray on the counter and out of Taeyeon’s frisky hands.

 

“What?” Taeyeon pouts, “You don’t think I’m still hot?”

 

Gwiboon pretends to give her a once over. Taeyeon is in a similar get up to the first day she had seen her, except in a comfy black hoodie this time, and despite it almost cloaking her whole figure, she is still hot.

 

Gwiboon shrugs, “I might reconsider if you stop being annoying.”

 

Taeyeon huffs and pokes her side until it has Gwiboon giggling from the tickles.

 

"Aish, can't you see I'm at work. What do you want?" She wheezes out once Taeyeon has stopped her attack.

 

“Your regular customer is going to come in a while.”

 

“Jonghyun,” Gwiboon utters reflexively, the only notable regular customer the little cafe has. He usually comes in the evenings, and stays for hours- long after Gwiboon is done with the food for the rest of the day, and is spending the last few hours managing the counter instead. He always writes in a little notebook or has his laptop with him, and gives Gwiboon the sweetest smile when she brings him his copious orders of coffee. He is also very easy on the eyes and good at conversation- a plus point when Gwiboon is bored out of her mind and counting the minutes till her shift ends.

 

Taeyeon smiles, as if she could see that Gwiboon has been running Jonghyun’s whole profile through her brain, “Precisely. Boyfriend prospect no. 1.”

 

“No,” Gwiboon states, dusting off her dull brown uniform. It’s as warm as chocolate, the owner and manager of the cafe- Yunho proudly says, and it takes all of Gwiboon’s energy to not pull out a shade card at him. At least he pays her well.

 

“Why not?” Taeyeon frowns, “He’s really nice. I checked. I swear I wouldn’t set you up with someone who's bad. And he’s also single.”

 

“I know he’s nice. But I’m not dating him. I’m not dating anybody for that matter. I told you, Taeyeon. And I’m not buying into your curse thing.”

 

Taeyeon looks up at her with pitiful, pleading eyes. Gwiboon gulps.

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey Jonghyun.”

 

“Hey Gwiboon! Slow day at work today?” He asks cheerily, eyes crinkling in a smile.

 

Gwiboon has to begrudgingly admit dating him would not be the worst thing in the world.

 

“When is it not?” Gwiboon huffs her bangs out of her face.

 

Jonghyun seems charmed.

 

“So uh listen,” Gwiboon places his coffee on the table, “I was wondering if you are free-”

 

Jonghyun abruptly laughs, throwing his head back, “Oh my god I thought I’d never be able to work up the courage. Yes, of course I am free. Any day.”

 

"I-", Gwiboon stammers in surprise, "I had not even finished my sentence."

 

"I'm sure you know this isn't the only, or the best place to get coffee. There is a reason why I keep showing up here everyday."

 

Gwiboon snorts, "Is it for the sparkling wit of the employees?"

 

"Maybe," Jonghyun smirks, "The food is pretty okay too."

 

She has to press her lips together to hide her grin.

 

"Is Thursday okay?"

 

"Thursday is perfect."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"So how did the date go?"

 

Gwiboon is not even surprised to find Taeyeon in her room, this time going through a textbook instead of attacking whatever snack they have at home.

 

Gwiboon groans in reply.

 

"Damn, that bad?"

 

"It was-" a disaster, "-bad, yes. We got kicked out of the cinema for arguing too loudly."

 

Taeyeon giggles, and then purses her lips when Gwiboon shoots her a look.

 

“What did you argue about?”

 

“Um,” Gwiboon drops to the bed, making Taeyeon scoot over and make space for her. She wonders when she had gotten this comfortable with the other, but it doesn’t feel wrong somehow, “Veganism? It started with the fact that they're selling expensive vegan popcorn at the theatre these days and he mentioned that everyone should be vegan and I argued that there is a lot of privilege involved in the current movement of veganism which does not include marginalised communities. Well, one thing led to another and we started arguing. Though we were both right in our ways,” Gwiboon admits, “But neither of us wanted to back down.”

 

“Exciting,” Taeyeon says sarcastically, closing the textbook in her hand, which Gwiboon belatedly realises is not her’s. Numerical Analysis with Python. Huh. Does Taeyeon study in college? She does seem the right age but Gwiboon has never stopped to think about what she does outside of the whole witch gig.

 

Gwiboon startles when Taeyeon waves a hand in front of her face.

 

“Hellooo? Earth to Gwiboon? Are you thinking about Jonghyun and wanting to jump into his bed?”

 

She scoffs at the mischievous smile stretched across Taeyeon’s plump lips, “You wish.”

 

Taeyeon grins, flipping open her textbook again, “It’s a shame really, because you look really hot today.”

 

Gwiboon’s cheeks burn at the compliment. She does know she looks good. She had kept her short black hair up in a small bun to accentuate her striking jawline, and chose to match a blue blouse with a sweetheart neckline and a black miniskirt and stockings, complete with the Versace coat that had landed her in this mess in the first place. Jonghyun had told her the same too, but the praise from Taeyeon feels different.

 

Gwiboon shrugs, chalking it down to appreciating something nice after a bad date. Which was not all that bad in retrospect- Jonghyun and she had apologised to each other and shared an ice cream, agreeing that they’d make really cool friends, but were too passionate and loud for dating each other.

 

But she isn’t going to tell Taeyeon all that.

 

“What are you studying?” She changes the topic, “I didn’t know you went to college.”

 

“I never brought it up, and you never asked,” Taeyeon says, not unkindly, “I have a coding test tomorrow. I study computer science.”

 

“Why didn’t you just study at home instead of waiting for me?” Gwiboon knits her eyebrows.

 

Taeyeon smiles sheepishly, “I pushed you out to date and felt bad if I didn’t even ask you about it. It’s the least I can do. I’m sorry it didn’t go well.”

 

“It’s not your fault,” Gwiboon quickly reassures, a bit stunned, “Though. What would you have done if it had gone well and I had not come home at all?”

 

“Celebrated?” Taeyeon says cheekily, face glowing even brighter at Gwiboon’s scowl.

 

“You’re so-”

 

“Annoying? Infuriating?” She offers.

 

Well no but-

 

Gwiboon just huffs instead.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What are you up to?”

 

Gwiboon doesn’t even blink at Taeyeon appearing next to her this time, too used to her random appearances, and too worried at the state of her job applications.

 

She sighs, pushing her laptop away from her. Gwiboon has refreshed her emails around ten times now, hoping for a reply.

 

“Nothing. Just waiting for emails. Any email.”

 

Taeyeon worries her bottom lip between her teeth, looking at her sympathetically. Gwiboon realises with a start that the other had been in fact, privy to her worries from day one.

 

Gwiboon, who wraps herself in figurative bubble wrap around people, doesn’t find herself minding as much as she would have with any other person.

 

That, or she is actually going insane from the internship search.

 

“Want to watch a movie or something?” Taeyeon offers out of the blue.

 

Gwiboon wants to bite back, ask her if she has nothing better to do on a Friday night, but the words die on her tongue, and she nods mutely, pulling up Netflix on her laptop.

 

And if she is amused at Taeyeon conjuring up burnt popcorn, and bitter coke, it is nobody’s business but Gwiboon’s own.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Taeyeon has been hanging around here a lot lately hasn’t she?” Eunsook remarks breezily, turning the page of her notebook to scribble some of her complicated music history notes.

 

Gwiboon snorts, recognising it for Eunsook’s nonchalant way of addressing things so as to not make it obvious she is prodding for information.

 

“She’s just been trying to get me to go on a date with Choi Minho from my theatre club. I keep telling her that her crystal ball must be broken or else she would have seen how we are at each other’s throats the whole time we have been around each other.”

 

“Let me guess- she cited ?”

 

“Exactly!” Gwiboon cries, “But there is nothing ual between Minho and me. Just tension.”

 

Eunsook hums indulgently, “That’s not the only reason why she’s been around here though. She keeps bringing her textbooks and her homework and you cook her dinner. It’s nice to see, that’s all. You seem less tense these days.”

 

“I guess,” Gwiboon mutters, “It’s nice to have a distraction.”

 

Eunsook quirks an eyebrow, finally looking up at her, “A distraction?”

 

“Yeah, I mean. She’s cool and all, though she is still annoying about the deal. But thankfully it’s not the only thing we talk about now. Did you know her sister is a pretty powerful witch? Taeyeon plans on being like her, but she’s also very interested in computers which is kind of ironic don’t you think? Magic and science?” Gwiboon rambles nervously.

 

Eunsook shoots her a knowing look before thankfully focusing on her homework again, and Gwiboon feels uneasiness settle in her stomach.

 

“As long as you’re okay Gwiboon.”

 

“I am. Of course I am.”

 

 

 

 

 

She does end up going on a date with Choi Minho the next week.

 

Taeyeon begged for it and Gwiboon quickly found out that she didn’t like seeing her sad. So naturally, she agreed. Coincidentally, it turned out Minho was actually serious about the cheesy lines he spouted at Gwiboon, so it was just a simple matter of saying yes.

 

The thing is, it isn’t going all that bad either.

 

Minho, while still being obnoxious, is a decent date- bringing her to a trendy cafe with artful dishes which Gwiboon would love posting on her Instagram. They even argue about the sweetness in the coffee but honestly Gwiboon has to admit that it’s fun banter more than anything else. She even suspects he actually likes the tension between them, which is- well, interesting to say the least.

 

Though when they share a chocolate eclair between them, Gwiboon can’t help but think about Taeyeon, who has an insatiable sweet tooth.

 

She buys two of them for her before they leave.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So? How was it?”

 

Gwiboon takes off her coat and drapes it carefully on the back of her chair, away from the bed where Taeyeon is seated. Her clumsy hands have already ruined one of Gwiboon’s blouses earlier in the week by spilling coffee on it. Gwiboon had been mad, but not mad enough to ignore Taeyeon’s round imploring eyes, apologising earnestly. But still, it's better to be safe than sorry.

 

“Fine I guess,” Gwiboon mutters, handing her the box of desserts, much to Taeyeon’s delight.

 

“You’re the best!” Taeyeon gleefully exclaims, date forgotten as she takes a bite of the eclair.

 

Gwiboon chuckles indulgently, laughing when Taeyeon smears a bit of the chocolate at the edge of .

 

It is distracting, to say the least, when Taeyeon talks again and Gwiboon has a hard time looking past her pink lips.

 

“You even got something for me, so I am guessing it went better than you are making it out to be.”

 

“Yeah, it was alright. He asked me out on a second date too,” Gwiboon admits.

 

“Oh,” Taeyeon pauses, “That’s nice. I’m glad.”

 

Gwiboon raises an eyebrow, “You don’t sound too glad.”

 

Taeyeon grins, but it feels a tad forced, in Gwiboon’s opinion.

 

“No, I’m glad. Soon you’ll get serious with Minho and I’m hoping it will be smooth sailing from then on, and you’ll be able to get rid of me too-”

 

Gwiboon frowns. She knows she can be sometimes too harsh with her words, unyielding with her affection, but she thought she has made it obvious that she doesn’t mind Taeyeon’s company. It makes her feel unnerved that someone, or something in Taeyeon’s life has chipped away at her self confidence enough to make her feel that way.

 

“-Well at least till I come back again to collect your baby.”

 

The incredulity of Taeyeon’s statement pushes away the thought for now.

 

Gwiboon rolls her eyes, “Don’t start getting too ahead of yourself. I only went on the date because you told me to. For some reason I keep listening to you.”

 

Taeyeon beams up at her, and finally Gwiboon, unable to resist it anymore, wipes the chocolate off her face with her index finger, and the digit clean.

 

When Gwiboon looks back at her, she finds Taeyeon watching her with hooded eyes and parted lips, her demeanour changing from the easy smiles to the focused gaze Gwiboon has always found so extremely attractive.

 

Gwiboon gulps.

 

“You would do anything I tell you to?”

 

Gwiboon is not sure if Taeyeon intends the innuendo in the question, but it sends up a shiver up her spine nevertheless.

 

“I-”

 

 

 

“-Gwiboon thank god you’re home! Oh- hi Taeyeon!”

 

Eunsook’s voice sends them both jumping apart from where they had leaned closer to each other without realising. Gwiboon feels her face going hot.

 

“H-hi Sook. What’s up?”

 

Eunsook looks at her strangely, and then turns apologetic, “Sorry for bothering you guys, but I need photoshop for this project I’m doing and Gwiboon, I could really use your help.”

 

Gwiboon nods her head slowly, “Yeah, yeah. Of course.”

 

“Well I should get going too,” Taeyeon purses her lips in an awkward smile, and teleports out of her room.

 

“Wow I don’t think I’ll ever get used to seeing that,” Eunsook comments.

 

Gwiboon stares at the space where Taeyeon had been sitting, “Yeah me too.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I am not going to lie, I still can’t believe you agreed on a second date with me.”

 

“I can’t believe it either,” Gwiboon snorts, “But here we are.”

 

“Here we are,” Minho repeats, grinning.

 

He should have been a model, Gwiboon thinks, instead of a literature student.

 

“I’m sorry I have to cut it short though, I really didn’t know I’d suddenly get called for an interview today.”

 

“It’s fine,” Minho squeezes her hand lightly, “We spent a good two hours anyway. You can save up some time for our third date.”

 

Gwiboon’s stomach drops.

 

“Sure,” she tries hard to not let the uncertainty show on her face, and the relief in spotting her bus ambling along the road, “That’s the bus I’ll have to take.”

 

“Can I kiss you before you go?”

 

Gwiboon blinks, looking up at him. He does look earnest, and well, it’s been a while since Gwiboon has kissed anyone.

 

She nods.

 

The kiss is very brief, keeping the time in mind, but still, Gwiboon finds it hard to think of it more than just lips touching each other. Not for the lack of effort either, because Minho is a surprisingly good kisser, especially for a man, but Gwiboon can’t feel anything from it.

 

She waves him goodbye from her seat when they part ways with each other, wondering if it would have felt different if she had shared the kiss with Taeyeon instead.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I got the job! I got it!” Gwiboon yells, waltzing into the room. This time she doesn’t even bother in carefully taking off her coat, and drapes herself on the bed instead, looking at Taeyeon beside her, who is uncharacteristically sombre.

 

“Congratulations, it’s been a long time coming,” Taeyeon says softly, a smile on her face.

 

“God, yes. Did you know the coat helped? I swear they thought I was rich cause there was no way else I could afford it. Definitely lent me the credibility I needed.”

 

“Why would a coat give you credibility?” Taeyeon furrows her eyebrows, making Gwiboon want to reach out and smoothen the crease on her forehead.

 

“Because how could a middle class girl know about big brands and designs when she probably can’t even afford a scarf from anywhere?”

 

“That’s so classist.”

 

Gwiboon huffs in agreement, “That’s the fashion industry for you. But the nice thing is that things are changing a bit, but well, still a long way to go. Especially when I can’t even get my degree without a good internship.”

 

Taeyeon hums, “I still think you acing the interview was definitely all you.”

 

“Maybe,” Gwiboon teases, balancing herself on her elbows to face Taeyeon properly, “I am definitely good enough for the job. But what’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing’s wrong?”

 

“There is,” Gwiboon insists, “You’re so timid today.”

 

“Oh,” Taeyeon pauses, “I’m just tired. I’ve been working on the crystal ball today. I’ve built up my way to be able to view the recent past, so the future won’t be long enough now.”

 

“Hey that’s great news,” Gwiboon grins, “So did you view anything of note?”

 

“Your kiss with Minho looked cosy.”

 

Gwiboon’s smile dies down.

 

“It was short. He asked, and I thought, well why not.”

 

Taeyeon shrugs, “It just looked nice that’s all. You don’t have to explain yourself.”

 

Gwiboon doesn’t need to, she knows that, but the inexplicable feeling of guilt is hard to displace.

 

She looks away from Taeyeon’s face, “I guess it was okay.”

 

“Just okay?”

 

“Yeah I mean he asked me out on a third date. I am not sure if I want to go.”

 

“Why not?” Taeyeon is staring at her in that way again, the way which makes Gwiboon’s insides feel like jelly, and her brain gears rusty.

 

“Maybe because I don’t want to get rid of you just yet,” Gwiboon jokes, sounding half-hearted to her own ears.

 

Taeyeon is silent for a moment, eyes on Gwiboon as if peering into her soul.

 

“You should go,” she ultimately says, “He’s a nice guy.”

 

Gwiboon feels disappointment clouding her senses. For a minute there, she had almost expected a different reaction from her.

 

“He is. That doesn’t mean I’m interested in him.”

 

Taeyeon rolls her eyes, “You’re really hard to please. Who would you even be interested in?”

 

You.

 

The reply comes so instantly to Gwiboon’s mind that it knocks her breath out.

 

Gwiboon isn’t prepared for this.

 

 

 

“Forget it,” her tone is clipped. Harsh. In denial. “I’ll make dinner right now. Are you staying?”

 

“Actually, no. I’ll get going,” Taeyeon mutters with defiance, “and Gwiboon? Just make up your damn mind.”

 

Gwiboon scoffs, despite having a feeling that the boy matchmaking is not the only thing Taeyeon is hinting at.

 

“The only reason I’m going on these dates is because of you. Maybe if you stopped being so insistent about them, then maybe I could breathe.”

 

“Why would I not be? You did make a deal with me."

 

"Is that all that I am to you? A deal?"

 

Taeyeon's lips shape into a thin line. A beat passes.

 

"You aren’t," she admits, "But I don't know what we are outside of it either. I’ll let you breathe in peace."

 

Gwiboon blinks in surprise. Taeyeon disappears before her room can come back into focus again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Did you and Taeyeon have a fight?”

 

“No,” Gwiboon smacks her lips on a big spoon of ice cream, instantly shivering from the momentary brain freeze afterwards, “What makes you think so?”

 

Eunsook pauses the movie to look at her sceptically, “Maybe the fact she hasn’t been around for two weeks now when she was practically attached to your hip before- and I know it’s not because you and Minho are going steady because I literally saw him moping outside your class last Thursday.”

 

“Yeah I kind of broke up with him. Though I mean we didn’t really have anything going on but yeah,” Gwiboon replies, answering only the second half of Eunsook's query.

 

The diversion thankfully works because Eunsook looks puzzled now, “I don’t understand that at all. I actually thought the dates were going fine.”

 

“God, I wish people would stop saying that. Yes the dates were nice, yes Minho is nice. It simply isn’t working. That’s it.”

 

“So you have had this conversation before. With Taeyeon I’m presuming?”

 

“I’m sorry but can we watch the movie now.”

 

Eunsook snatches the remote in front of Gwiboon’s outstretched hand, “You and I both know you have watched Notting Hill enough times to question how you aren’t sick of it yet. Fess up or you’re doing the dishes for the week.”

 

Gwiboon groans, sinking deeper into the sofa, “Do we really have to talk about this?”

 

“Boonie. I can see you sulking all the time. You even got the internship so I really can't think of anything else that could make you upset."

 

“I think I like her,” Gwiboon shoves another big spoonful of ice cream inside .

 

Eunsook looks puzzled again, “Okay. So tell her. What’s the problem?”

 

“I don’t think she likes me, Sook. She literally keeps setting me up on these dates. Who does that if they like someone?”

 

“Uh, you are aware she’s doing that for the contract thingy?”

 

“I know! But she could still-” Gwiboon abruptly stops.

 

‘But I don't know what we are outside of it either.’

 

Taeyeon’s only excuse to hang around Gwiboon was because of those dates. .

 

“,” Gwiboon repeats aloud this time, “I might have misjudged the situation.”

 

“You think?” Eunsook snorts, “-Hey wait where are you going? It’s eight p.m!”

 

“To her shop! Francesca’s Fortune!” Gwiboon hastily shrugs on her coat, thankful for the fact that she is a big believer in dressing well at home, and doesn’t have to do much except slip on her shoes and grab her purse before she’s met with the cold night air.

 

The bus ride is an awkward one, her tracksuit clad legs surrounded by either well dressed people going on a night out or tired office workers on their way to bars. But her nerves outdo any embarrassment she can feel over that.

 

Gwiboon doesn’t know what she’s expecting when she walks towards the alley she had met Taeyeon in all those months ago. She considers herself a moderately self aware, intelligent person- so she knows that her feelings for Taeyeon have been simmering for a while, and maybe she has been too stressed about her job and those damn dates, to ever truly pay heed to it. But she also knows she has never been clear about the level of affection she has for Taeyeon, not to her at least, so she might have sent mixed signals to the younger, and received some in return herself. Maybe all Gwiboon can do is apologise for lashing out at her, and even that will be a good start.

 

Gwiboon’s steps get quicker in anticipation, slowing down when she realises the colourful shop she had seen last time doesn’t even have it’s neon sign switched on.

 

Maybe Gwiboon should really reassess her intelligence. Taeyeon used to spend most evenings with her, and some mornings she had classes too- her shop gig is sporadic at best and something Gwiboon should have foreseen before marching out of her flat.

 

Gwiboon turns around, dejected, and comes face to face with a grinning Taeyeon.

 

“What-” Gwiboon splutters, almost doubles over in shock, “What the .”

 

Taeyeon is bouncing on the balls of her feet, seemingly in excitement, and Gwiboon has to take a moment to appreciate the beautiful girl standing in front of her. Two weeks of not seeing her had felt like ages.

 

“Surprised?” Taeyeon’s smile grows impossibly big, bordering on the mischievous one she uses around Gwiboon when she wants to get something, “I’ve learnt to see the future a bit now.”

 

“You knew I was going to be here?” Gwiboon wants to sound exasperated, but all she feels is relief, honestly.

 

“Yup!” Taeyeon says enthusiastically, “I also know what you are about to say, but I want to hear it from you.”

 

“I’m-” Gwiboon herself doesn’t herself know what she wants to say, but being straightforward is her default option, so she goes ahead, “-first of all I want to apologise for the way I acted that evening. I don’t think your insistence is annoying or bad, and I actually really enjoy your company, and I think,” Gwiboon looks down at her feet, “no I know that I like you a lot.”

 

Gwiboon hears Taeyeon sigh. She desperately hopes it’s a happy one, if Taeyeon’s delight in knowing the future is anything to go by.

 

“Gwiboon, look up please,” Taeyeon whispers, the softest Gwiboon has ever heard her.

 

Gwiboon does, and barely has the time to look at her before Taeyeon moves to press her lips against hers’. Gwiboon audibly gasps in shock, making Taeyeon giggle and pull back.

 

“Okay we’ll do that properly later,” Taeyeon pulls her closer by the waist, “So let me say my piece too. I really like you Gwiboon. You’re like a goddess or something. I hated setting you up on those dates, I really did. I absolutely hated it when your dates with Minho went well. But I didn’t know what else to do to spend time with you. I’m just the weirdo witch who you offered your first born to.”

 

Gwiboon opens to protest, but Taeyeon shushes her by putting a finger on her lips.

 

“But then, the break I took from you made me realise that all the things you did for me- spending time with me, cooking for me, taking care of me, it wasn’t an obligation for you to do so. If anything, you should have been kicking me out everytime but you didn’t and well, the crystal ball did the rest.”

 

Gwiboon bites Taeyeon’s finger in retaliation, laughing when Taeyeon yelps.

 

“You’re so stupid Lee Taeyeon. So what happens to the contract? And the curse thing?”

 

“I can smooth that out with my sister, I’ll probably have to be the laughing stock of many witch gatherings but that’s a small price to pay. As for the curse-” Taeyeon’s expression turns sheepish, making Gwiboon narrow her eyes, “-the intensity of it depends on the favour. I’m a small time witch, otherwise I would have gotten you that internship instead, I really would have, but I could only fulfil the coat. You’ll probably get like a month of bad luck or something.”

 

Gwiboon groans, “Let’s just be glad you didn’t get me the job then I would actually have to give you a newborn to avoid something horrible. You could have just told me this earlier Taeyeon-”

 

“Can we just kiss now?” Taeyeon huffs impatiently, “I’ll make it up to you I swear.”

 

“Fine,” Gwiboon tries to hide the grin attempting to break out on her face.

 

This time, the kiss is a proper one, like Taeyeon had promised. Gwiboon feels the ends of her fingers tingling with the butterflies Taeyeon’s lips give her, moving slowly in unravelling Gwiboon, drawing out sounds she would be embarrassed to hear from herself in any other time.

 

“Okay?” Taeyeon murmurs when they break apart.

 

“More than okay. Great even,” Gwiboon admits giddily.

 

“Ha! Take that Choi Minho!”

 

Gwiboon sighs.