The Promises of a Moon

Where I buried your name
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Sunggyu swings the sword, stopping right at Woohyun’s neck, a thread away from his exposed skin.

Normally, the blow of his sword would have been stopped by Woohyun’s, metals clanging, the sound ringing in his ear to accompany the drumbeats of his heart. But right now, the knight’s sword hangs loosely by his side, his eyes calm but still. He looks like he could be made of stone.

He glares at him disapprovingly.

In response, Woohyun throws his sword down on the ground and sighs, “Let’s stop here.”

Frowning, he says, “Woohyun, you’re not taking this seriously. Any moment now, there might be war. We have to be prepared-”

Beckoning his squire, who helps take his chainmail off, he says thoughtfully, “You know I don’t like war. War is evil.”

Sunggyu shuts his eyes momentarily. They have been through this before. “A necessary evil.”

“Why is it necessary to spill blood?”

Exhaling, he takes his armour off. Two of his squires carry them away. “To protect our kingdom.”

“The land, the power - that’s all you care about.” Woohyun’s voice is calm, melodious. It doesn’t sound accusatory, but disappointed, perhaps.

“They’re all part of the kingdom, the crown.” 

Having discarded their armours, they re-sheathe their swords, cutting a route through the training grounds at a lazy pace, like they don’t have places to be or things to do. There are a few other soldiers practicing combat further away, the sound of grunts and metal clashing carry over to them, but they all seem distant, faded.

“What about the people?”

Turning his face away from the man beside him, he says quietly, “Woohyun, don’t be so sentimental.”

“I’m being human.”

“And I’m not?” He is upset by the insinuation, that too from his closest friend. 

Glancing at him, the knight smiles sadly. “You’re being a king. The King.” He frowns a little. “I miss my best friend.”

 

 

In the changing room beside the training grounds, one knight is pacing the floor impatiently.

“Does it make any sense? So many promising youths but the king wastes his time on the Duke’s heir who’s shown no interest in learning to fight.”

Some of them nod gravely in agreement.

Sungjong, the youngest knight of the Round Table, says quietly, “He knows how to fight. He is a knight, after all.”

Howon stops his pacing and glowers at him. “We all know how he was knighted.”

“What do you mean?”

Howon and Sungyeol share meaningful glances. “He was knighted for saving the king when they were younger. No one knows what happened apart from the king. It’s all nonsense, in my opinion. I think it’s because he is the Duke of Cramer’s son, it would bring the family shame if their only son wasn’t able to become a knight.”

These stories of nepotism about Woohyun are rampant because he never participates in the tournaments or jousts. No one has ever seen him ‘prove’ himself as a knight.  

“I think the king just wants to make sure all his knights can defend themselves,” Dongwoo breaks the awkward atmosphere with his bright voice. 

Howon rounds on him. “But as knights, we’re supposed to protect the king! We shouldn’t need babysitting by his majesty!”

“Shall we go and see if they are done?” Myungsoo interrupts before things can escalate.

They all nod in unison. The training grounds are empty save a few soldiers practicing and the squires fighting with wooden swords. They all stop and bow as they pass by. Sungjong smiles at the young squires, some of them only coming up to his knees. He remembers that he had to stand on his tiptoes when he first started, so as not to appear shorter than the others. They made fun of him for being skinny and having fair skin – they thought he would never make a soldier. Here he is now, an esteemed knight of the highest order. All because one of the older boys took him under his wing, and gave him extra attention. He smiles at Myungsoo as he ruminates; the dark-haired knight looks confused.

“Where are they?” Howon grumbles.

“Have they gone back to the palace?” Dongwoo wonders.

When they are about to give up and go back to the palace, they notice them, sat under the shadow of the armoury, backs against the wall. There’s something about them that makes them look like a unit. Is it the slight lean of Woohyun’s shoulder towards the king? Or the way their knees are touching in the most natural way? Or the way Sunggyu’s face is turned towards the other?

“There they are!” Sungyeol exclaims, taking a few strides towards them. Sungjong grabs him by the arm, halting his progress. 

“What?” Sungyeol asks, frowning.

“I think it’d be best if we don’t interrupt them,” he replies pointedly.

“Interrupt what? They’re just talking.”

“Well…they seem to…”

“What?” 

He looks around at the others – everyone is looking at him expectantly. “You’re joking? Isn’t it obvious that…” Shaking his head, he says, “whatever, none of my business.”

“It is our business, we’re his most trusted knights!” Sungyeol urges.

Sungjong sighs, “You won’t understand.”

Ignoring his advice, Howon treads towards them, Dongwoo skipping behind him. 

“How did it go?” Howon asks loudly.

“Great,” Sunggyu replies, slightly surprised at the interruption, like someone rudely awaken from a daydream. “Woohyun is great.”

“Really?” Howon asks disbelievingly.

“Don’t lie, your majesty,” Woohyun says lightly. 

Sungyeol and Howon roll their eyes but refrain from saying anything else. Everyone knows Sunggyu and Woohyun are childhood friends and it wouldn’t go down well if they openly insulted the knight in front of the king. 

“Come on hyung, let’s go hunting. We’re bored,” Sungyeol whines. Only the knights of the Round Table dare address him so casually. In fact, he welcomes it. He had told them that he is a king to everyone else, but to them, he is a brother. 

“Yes! It’s deer season,” Dongwoo claps his hands.

Sunggyu’s eyes flick towards Woohyun. The knight, clad in white from top-to-toe, gets to his feet. “Well, enjoy yourselves.”

“You’re not comin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter