rainy daze

rainy daze
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It is spring so honestly, she should have expected it sooner or later, but she didn’t.

It had been sunny all week so of course it came to Dahyun’s surprise that there was such a downpour in the evening when she left her lab. Had she known earlier she would have brought an umbrella from her dorm or even stopped by the university store sometime during the day in order to buy one, but as it was, she was stuck in one of the farthest buildings on the secluded side of campus after volunteering to finish submitting the report for the rest of her team. The work was already completed, it only needed to be compiled. And since she was able to finish it that day, they wouldn’t need to worry about it the next week and could leave their lab early.

Truthfully, Dahyun wanted to repay the favor to her group since they were able to cover for her when she was out sick the previous week and got full credit for the assignment. Unfortunately for her, the extra 30 minutes was going to cost her much more than she originally thought as there was probably no one else around she could ask for a ride home.

Dahyun stood on steps of the building’s entryway and looked towards the parking lot not too far from the building, but there was only a couple of cars belonging to faculty and that one beater in the students' lot that had been there since she started having classes in the building over two years ago.

Dahyun leaned her head to the side, just enough that the building’s awning protected her from the onslaught of rain, but she was still able to gaze over the roof of the large science hall. She wanted to see if there was any end in sight, but there was hardly any color in the sky other than the dark greys signaling rain and the occasion white flash of lightning.

Dahyun sighed and sat down on the lone bench next to the doorway as she contemplated her options.

She fiddled with her phone and saw her best friend and roommate on her lock screen. Chaeyoung had a car, she could ask her! When Dahyun opened their messages, she pouted.

chaengie: i'm leaving now, wish me luck!

dubu: Fighting! 

It wasn’t that she was unhappy, it was because she remembered that today was the day Chaeyoung had a date with the Senior she had been crushing on for the better part of two years. It had taken so long for Chaeyoung to ask the upperclassman out that Dahyun knew she couldn’t call her roomie to help her. Not because she wouldn’t come to assist, but simply because she would. Chaeyoung would always be willing to drop everything, even if it was something that she wanted, in order to help someone else. She was just selfless like that.

Which also meant that Mina was out of the picture. The upperclassman was too kind to say no and just as selfless as Chaeyoung. There was no way that she was going to pull them away from their date after all the dancing around they did before trying to get together, not when those two deserved each other. Even though she’s sure that Mina would be upset to hear that Dahyun was putting the pair’s date over herself, especially when she’s proven how much she cares by picking up dubchaeng from an off-campus house party at 3 am on a Tuesday two weeks ago despite having an 8 am class that day.

Instead, she vowed to find a way to get home without either of the two knowing.

Then she thought of Mina’s flirty friend Sana. Dahyun was of course friends with Sana too, she had just met her through Mina, who Chaeyoung had actually met through Dahyun. The four of them had even hung out many times over the past several months when the two upperclassmen weren’t busy. Sana was so nice and never overstepped any boundaries, despite her incessant flirting with everyone, the constant hugs she liked to give Dahyun, and their very short (and secret) fling the year prior.

But it was Thursday.

Sana was a receptionist at the Marriott near the university and worked late shifts on Thursdays. She didn’t have classes on Fridays and wouldn’t need to wake up early, which worked perfectly for Sana and her schedule, but quite the opposite for Dahyun in this moment.

Dahyun was stuck.

Her other friends either didn’t own cars or if they did, lived too far that it would be troublesome to pick Dahyun up. And even though she had a few other friends on campus, they lived on the other side of campus and would be going well out of their way just to bring an umbrella to her or walk Dahyun to her dorm.

Regardless of how willing any of her friends would be, she didn’t want to inconvenience them in that way.

Dahyun sighed and looked through the contents of her bag. She wondered how waterproof it was and what would get ruined if she decided to brave the trip through the rain. Luckily, there were no textbooks as she was renting this semester and those were too expensive to easily replace, but she did have a few printed assignments and one workbook inside. She decided it was maybe worth it to walk but would wait to see if the rain would let up a bit so everything wouldn’t be completely soaked through when she finally got home.

Dahyun looked at sky hopefully.

As if answering her, there was a flash lightning and a sound of thunder that followed shortly afterward. Which was expected.

Then there was a scream. So Dahyun screamed too.

Because that was unexpected.

 

 


Momo twirled her umbrella in her hands like she was trying to start a fire, but was really trying to make the rain drops spin off as she walked. She been making her way back onto campus from her dance practice, as she was part of a dance crew at a studio nearby despite there being a team at the university.

Momo liked to be more anonymous on campus.

Being more of an introverted ambivert, she enjoyed going out and having fun competing or dancing in showcases, but she also liked not feeling judged by people she shared a class with. At least at the dance studio she could pretend that the majority people who were there didn’t know who she was. That's not to say that they weren't her friends, she got along with people quite well once she was out of her shell, she just didn't like the idea of being watched to closely one being gossiped about—mainly due to being insulted for her intelligence or thought to be cheating back in high school due to her niche.

See Momo was good at two things: dancing and math. She was really good at dancing but she was insanely good at math. More unfortunately, she was not good at much else—unless eating was to be considered. Thankfully, with the help of some friends she had able to move that math skill to a bit of science and other things, but unless it had to do with numbers or formulas she was not your girl. Luckily, that knowledge was enough to be offered a scholarship at the university for mathematics.

The university had offered room and board, and even a meal stipend as part of her scholarship, but she would have to stay in the dorms in order to take advantage of freebies. And who was she to turn down free food?

Definitely not Momo, she would never.

So Momo made her way across campus towards her dorm like usual, her route was more secluded, but it was the most direct route from the studio. Most people took the main road because it was well lit and nicer, Momo on the other hand, refused because that way was really twice as long and she was too lazy for that.

And Momo loved the rain. It was soothing and usually the pitter-patter of rain drops helped her sleep. So, even though it was raining quite hard, she figured she'd be able to make it back just fine before it got too dark, as long there wasn't-

There was a flash of white and Momo barely had time to tense up when there was a crash of thunder. It sounded so loud that Momo couldn't help but scream in surprise.

Then she screamed again when she there was a scream that followed her last.

She walked the path past the science hall 3-4 times a week and no one had ever screamed at her, so she quickly spun around at the noise and brandished her umbrella like a weapon.

This meant she got a bit wet but she figured that would be the least of her worries if there was a creep by the building.

There wasn't a creep, there was just a blonde sitting on the bench staring at her—well, Momo hoped she wasn't a creep, at least. The girl raised up her hands as if saying she meant no harm so Momo raised the umbrella over her head to run for the cover where the girl sat.

 

 

Dahyun watched as the girl-who-screamed ran under the building’s awning. The girl shook the rain off her umbrella and set it to the side before claiming the empty seat on the bench. Dahyun noticed that the other girl wasn't a wet as she thought she would be considering how hard the rain was coming down. Maybe she had her body covered more than it looked like from where she was sitting, or maybe it wasn't as long as it felt when the other girl looked li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter