Chapter 1

Toxic

A huge pile of folders were placed on top of Seulgi's desk this morning for her to work on for the entire day. It is literally one of the reasons why she hates her boss—he never fails to assign her with too many workloads. One-by-one she's done all the necessary work she'll have to do in every folder. A bit too quickly, in fact, with a little flavor of tiredness and a silent hatred for her superior. Time flies too fast, however, when you're busy. Seulgi did not even notice that it's time to go home already if not for a workmate who tried to invite her out for a drink, which she politely declined. Heck, she even missed eating her lunch. She dismissed the idea of her missed meal and silently wore her jacket, took her things, and left the workplace. 

It is almost sunset and the streets are usually busy at this hour, one that Seulgi has grown to get used to after years since she migrated. Both hands secured inside the pockets of her jacket, she shivered from the cold breeze of air, her hot breath releasing a visible smoke. Evidence of a winter season for that year. 

Everyday, she takes the train home and most of the time it is chaotic within the subway because she takes her commute during rush hours. Not that she minds. As usual, she ventured into the sea of people trying to get into the train like her. Getting past the train doors felt like victory and almost everyone in that train ignored personal space since all passengers stood too close to each other. Unlucky, Seulgi just has to stand next to a man covered in sweat with a grossly bad breath. While discreetly covering her nose and enduring the hell of ride, her phone beeped with vibrations. 

It was a text message to remind Seulgi of the upcoming high school reunion to be held in her home country. One she had promised Joy to attend this time after declining the previous event of the like two years ago. Softly exhaling, she placed her phone near to her heart wondering what could happen when she arrives back to korea. More like thinking if she'll ever see her again. The woman who set fire into her heart. The person she's been longing to see during her entire 5 years of stay in Canada.

 

(September 19, 2011—Monday)

"Kang Seulgi!"

Seulgi runs as fast as she could, her bag at hand, sweat forming in her forehead, and the buttons of her blouse undone.

"Don't make me catch you or else I'll kill you!" Joy shouts while chasing Seulgi. Every living human they passed by inside the campus were looking at them, obviously confused at the two known idiots.

"With legs like yours, I can't believe they're useless!" Seulgi mocked, enough to annoy an already beyond frustrated Joy.

Seulgi took a right turn and hurriedly headed inside their classroom before hiding behind a small girl silently reading whatever is on the notebook she's holding. 

"Come here, monkey! I'm going to skin your flesh and toss you to the garbage for good" Joy said, panting and her face red in anger. But Seulgi didn't speak back and chose to stay hidden behind the quiet girl. 

"I swear Kang, I'll make sure you'll die right here right now" Joy was about to reach for Seulgi's collar when someone other than the two spoke. 

"I advise you to go back to your own class, Joy" Irene said calmly without removing her eyes from the notebook.

"Not until I kill this stupid human being" Finally, Irene placed down the notebook on her desk before looking up to meet Joy's gaze.

"Whatever she's done to you, just let it slide for now. You know Seulgi's a special case. She can be a mental retard." A few of their classmates who have heard Irene laughed along with Joy. Seulgi on the other hand, gave Irene a deadly glare.

"You're right. That best friend of yours is a pain in the "

"I know. Don't worry, I'll put her on leash next time so she won't bother you anymore"

"Jeez, thanks" Joy snickered and left not before she rolled her eyes on Seulgi.

"What was that for?" Seulgi asked, looking betrayed. Irene only replied with a soft laugh and resumed whatever she's reading from her notebook. "Hey, I'm asking you"

"I know"

"Then answer me"

"Don't be stupid"

"I just ate a snack because I was hungry. I didn't know it was a gift from her boyfriend" Seulgi suddenly turned defensive which amazed Irene.

"No one"

"What do you mean no one?"

"No one is asking for you to explain" Seulgi whined in annoyance which earned a fruity laugh from Irene.

 

'I miss your warm eyes and the soft melody of your voice'

 

The train reaches a station, Seulgi leaves the ride although this was not her stop. She roamed her eyes around to look for nothing in particular as soon as she's at the exit of the train station and spotted a convenience store just across the street. She decided to get two cans of beer then left the store to look for a place to stay. It took her 5 minutes of silent walk on the streets to finally see an open park. It was already dark outside, yet she chose to sit at the bench a bit far from the light post. Opening to drink her first can of beer, she appreciates the taste and the sensation it brought to her body. She thinks she made the right choice so she could help her brain to only think of happy memories. 

 

(February 14, 2012—Tuesday)

"Finally we are down to the announcement that I'm sure all of you are dying to know about," Bogum said in front of a huge crowd, microphone in hand. Loud cheers from left to right were heard all over the covered court. 

"And now to announce our this year's miss valentine..." Bogum raised the flashcard in his hand to show that the results of that valentine's day beauty pageant were out. 

"GO BAE JOOHYUN! BAE JOOHYUN FOR THE WIN!! " Seulgi confidently cheered for her own bet, a personal microphone at hand that is connected to a huge speaker she had prepared the night before. She was loudly cheering like any other ordinary student who was watching the event. Only that her cheer turned the crowd into an awkward silence, and it's not just for the microphone or the speaker that she had stood out. Meanwhile, Irene, who was the recipient of the support turned red out of embarrassment. 

"Uhm, I would like to clarify that I am one of the emcees so I cannot possibly win the crown today" Irene shyly explained, half praying Seulgi will shut up. 

"I DON'T CARE, YOU DESERVE THE WIN BAE JOOHYUN!!" Seulgi replied with a shout, still close to the microphone. The crowd began laughing at Seulgi's tactics, while Irene decided to just awkwardly laugh at whatever her crazy best friend is doing. 

Bogum found the situation interesting that he had thrown some teasing remarks to Irene first before announcing the event's winner. 

 

'I am your number one fan. Even if you don't need it, I will support you'

 

Seulgi softly laughed as recalled that crazy moment she had back in high school. She remembered how Irene smacked her shoulder like a machine gun on their way home once the event was over. After a silent laugh and a short stare at the dark space in front of her, Seulgi took a large gulp of her beer. 

 

(April 04, 2012—Wednesday)

"Where are you going?" Seulgi asked when Irene stood up without saying anything in the middle of whatever both are doing at the library at the remaining time of their lunch break. 

"I'll use the toilet" Irene left after that without sparing Seulgi a second glance, obviously hurrying her way to the comfort room. Seulgi took no mind of it and continued doing her thing. Until 10 minutes have passed but Irene has not yet returned. Knowing that they only have 3 more minutes left before the bell rings, Seulgi decides to wait for Irene. Coming late to class doesn't scare her anyways. Exactly a minute before the time, Seulgi receives a call from Irene. 

"Where are you? We'll be late" 

"Seul, it's an emergency" Irene from the other line sounds like she is about to cry which causes Seulgi to get worried. 

"What happened? Where are you right now?" 

"I'm still here at the cubicle. I can't leave. There's no water to flush the bomb I dropped in the toilet" Seulgi laughed so hard but immediately stopped when she realized the people at the library staring at her. 

"Wait for me, I'll rescue you"

"Thanks. And please make it quick. It's hot in here and I'm dying to leave this place if only not for this "

"But your is clean, right?"

"Shut up Kang Seulgi! Of course it's clean! I used tissues!"

"Okay, chill '' Seulgi dropped the call after that and did her thing to help her best friend.

Not long after, the help did come. But it had captured the attention of almost everyone in the campus. Well, Irene have problems about flushing her bomb and classic Seulgi just called the fire station for water.

The loud siren from the fire truck has caused a panic to some students, thinking there was fire within the campus. Not until they saw some fire men entering the comfort room with the water hose at hand and Irene coming out covering her face with both hands out of embarrassment.

"Are you okay, rene?" Seulgi innocently asked with worry in her tone.

"I will kill you Seul"

"Why? I just helped you"

"I asked you to help me get water, but not from a ing fire truck with an entire group of fire men"

"What's wrong with that? It just helped you to flush your , right?" Irene chose to be violent after that, giving Seulgi hard smacks to her shoulder and back.

A week after, Irene and Seulgi's names were found on the school paper for the fire truck incident.

 

'I will do even the most awkward and probably the most stupid things in the world for you' 

 

Seulgi had finished her first can and silently opened her second and last beer for that night after disposing of the empty can.

"I miss you, Rene," Seulgi softly spoke to no one with a sad smile.