final

Secret Garden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s late into May.

 

Chorong is watching her five-year-old daughter chase a butterfly, just a metre away from her. Her stubby short legs struggle to catch up with white wings, screaming and squealing in excitement as she bounces, and it naturally makes a smile reach the woman’s eyes. 

 

It’s the first time she notices the grass has gotten a little longer. Hayoung, who’s barely taller than her leg, is close to disappearing behind swaying colours of green on this spring day.

 

Her eyes slowly scan around – while simultaneously keeping the cheeky girl within her peripheral vision – and she’s also starting to notice how the flowers she planted last month have almost wilted, bending sadly towards the ground.

 

A line forms on .

 

The garden could do with some work, Chorong thinks.

 

•••

 

She’s just dropped Hayoung off at childcare for the day and arrived at a brunch place to meet one of her best friends.

 

While Chorong is busily snapping pictures of their food, the topic of her disorganised garden casually pops up in their conversation and Joohyun suggests, “Why don’t you try hiring a gardener?” 

 

The woman gives her a look as she takes a sip of water, before picking up her cutlery. “I don’t know, Hyun. That seems a bit excessive.”

 

Joohyun narrows her eyes. “Don’t tell me you plan on doing that all on your own?” When her friend tries to brush it off by eating, she continues. “Look, Chorong – I understand you’re used to doing everything by yourself but you have to start cutting your body, and mind, some slack. You’re a single mother, not Superwoman.” 

 

The black-haired woman has barely swallowed, when she adds, “Seungwan has a friend who does gardening services. I’ll get her to contact you.”

 

It goes forgotten for the rest of the day.

 

But Chorong should’ve known Joohyun would’ve never let it slip past her, would’ve latched onto that information like a sacred secret. 

 

A week after their brunch date, she finds her breath caught in as she stares at the woman standing right in the middle of her doorway, and she can’t help but think about it again.

 

She really should’ve known.

 

•••

 

The gardener comes in the form of a Jeong Eunji.

 

Chorong barely registers her name when she introduces herself because she gets distracted by how attractive she is – mid-length black hair, fit bod, baring a radiating eye smile she couldn’t forget even if she tried.

 

There’s a firm handshake shared between them and Chorong can feel the callouses of the woman’s palm against her own.

 

“It’s nice to meet you, Ms. Park. I hope I’m not interrupting. Joohyun mentioned that this was an urgent job and you needed me?”

 

The black-haired woman blushes lightly at the poorly worded sentence, an awkward smile on as she retracts her hand and rubs at her forearm. “Joohyun tends to exaggerate a lot of the time. I’m really sorry if she pestered you to come.”

 

“It’s no problem, really. I’d honestly give her some credit,” Eunji lightly chuckles, the sound of it filling the black-haired woman’s ears. “I mean, she certainly didn’t exaggerate the fact that she has a pretty friend.”

 

The black-haired woman would’ve ignored it if she didn’t hear the slight change in tone.

 

When Chorong’s head lifts, their eyes accidentally meet. The woman is looking back at her with a kind grin; perhaps a little too friendly, a little too forward, and it makes a blush burn harder on her cheeks.

 

This feels like—

 

It’s almost as if Eunji is—

 

“Mummy?”

 

The older woman’s eyes widen at the sound of Hayoung’s voice, turning around to find her daughter sleepily trudging towards her. She squats down and meets the girl in her arms, brushing her hair away from her face. “Hi, sweetie.” She presses a small kiss on her forehead. “I’m here. Did you have a good nap?”

 

Hayoung hums in response as she rubs at her eyes, leaning into Chorong’s embrace. As she wraps her short arms around her mother’s neck, only then does she realise there’s a woman at the door. Eunji can’t hide her surprise in time, but she manages a small wave to the child while mouthing ‘hello’. The girl shyly hides behind Chorong’s hair when she sees the greeting is aimed at her.

 

“I’m sorry if I came at a bad time, but I happened to notice that your lawn has grown quite a bit.” Eunji starts, almost bashfully. The older woman lets go of Hayoung for a moment to face her again. “You wouldn’t mind if I get started on that right away, would you?”

 

“No, no – of course!” Chorong immediately shakes her head, one hand gesturing towards the front yard, while she holds onto her daughter’s shoulder with the other – Hayoung curiously peeking at the stranger from the side. “You can go right ahead. Or, even don’t. Whatever you’re comfortable with, of course. It’s totally and completely up to you.”

 

She silently grimaces after, clearing because she knows she just rambled but there’s another eye smile.

 

“Cool. I guess I’ll, uh… let you know if I need anything but leave it to me, Ms. Park.” 

 

The black-haired woman is nodding slowly and Eunji is lingering by the door, almost turning her back around. The moment stills – a thousand words sit on the tip of Chorong’s tongue, her mind running wild with thought out sentences and she feels like she has to say something, anything, out loud.

 

With a bite of her lip, she forces it out. “Just Chorong is fine, by the way.”

 

There’s a pause.

 

Her nerves are pulsing when she sees how Eunji’s gaze drops down to Hayoung, firmly clinging onto her thighs, then back at her. Surprise flashes across the gardener’s face for a second, before the corner of her lips are curled up as she says, “Okay, sure. I’ll check back in a few hours, Chorong.”

 

•••

 

It’s just her name. 

 

The black-haired woman knows this. She doesn’t know why she always feels a certain way about it, though.

 

 

“Good morning, Chorong!”

 

 

“The weather is so good today. Don’t you think, Chorong?”

 

 

“Hayoung, is it? That’s a pretty name. As pretty as yours, Chorong.”

 

 

“I accidentally ordered an extra latte. Did you want it, Chorong?”

 

 

“That’s okay, Chorong. I’ll stop by another time. Here’s my number, just let me know when you’ll be home.”

 

 

“If you water them every two days, it should be fine. You’re a fast learner, Chorong.”

 

 

“No work today, Chorong?”

 

 

“Chorong, they’d be lucky to.”

 

 

“Hey, Chorong. What do you think about this?”

 

 

“Oh, I’d love to have a little garden helper. And I’m sure your mother wouldn’t mind – is it okay if she helps me out, Chorong?”

 

 

“I’ll be back tomorrow, Chorong. See you!”

 

 

“Sorry, Chorong… Hayoung and I got in a small water fight and—”

 

 

“No more wet porches. That I can promise, Chorong. Hayoung and I swear on our hearts!”

 

 

“Really? Joohyun tells me Park Chorong was a wild one, back in the day. I almost believe her.”

 

 

“I don’t think hiding behind me is going to chase the bug away, Chorong.”

 

 

“You always smell really nice, Chorong. What perfume do you use?”

 

 

“Oh, wow… Chorong, you—you look great today.”

 

 

“No, you don’t need to apologise. Chorong, I’m fine to pick her up for you. It’s okay, I promise.”

 

 

“You’re an amazing mother, Chorong. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.”

 

 

“You inspire me, Park Chorong.”

 

 

It’s just her name.

 

Two syllables, not the most common, but it always makes her nervous when it comes out of Eunji’s mouth.

 

•••

 

“Why is there a hot woman hanging out in your backyard?”

 

Chorong whips her head around from the stove, to see Bomi walking in with two plates of food. Startled, she hurriedly wipes her hands to help her place it on the island bench. “Bomi? What are you doing here?”

 

“Aunty Bbom!” Hayoung squeals, running to hug her. The woman beams, eyes almost disappearing in her wide smile as she pats on the girl’s head. Picking her small niece up in her arms, she faces her friend again. “Um, you invited me for dinner. Like a week ago?” 

 

Chorong lets out an inaudible ‘ah’, apologetically squeezing her friend’s hand. Bomi jokingly pouts, “At least my Hayoungie didn’t forget me.” The little girl giggles as soon as she feels fingers tickling her stomach. Not long after, Hayoung, who has decided she wants to play outside now, starts squirming and Bomi lets her off running.

 

The red-haired woman comfortably settles on a stool, leaning back to peer outside from the kitchen in the most obvious way. “You didn’t answer my question, but whoever she is, she seems nice. She’s even waving.”

 

When Chorong sees her friend suddenly waving back, she almost screams. She rushes to latch onto her arm, pulling both of them away from the window in time for Eunji to send a smile their way. Chorong quickly returns a flustered one, until they’re behind the wall and she starts harshly whispering, “Oh my god, Bomi. Please don’t stare at her like a creep.”

 

“Why? Is she yours to keep because…” She cranes her neck again, but the older woman pushes her face in the other direction. Bomi wiggles her eyebrows, voice muffled under her friend’s hands, “She sure looks like your type.”

 

“She’s not my anything,” Chorong groans, but her ears are burning. “Eunji is just the new gardener. Joohyun referred her to me.”

 

“Eunji, huh?” Bomi says, nodding slowly. “And you have a gardener? Since when?”

 

There’s a shrug. “I don’t know. It’s been a couple months.”

 

Bomi narrows her eyes, thumb pointing behind her shoulder. “And, what – you just never bothered to tell me, nor mention the fact that she was this attractive?”

 

“It wasn’t something I thought was important.” Chorong says with a roll of her eyes, hand finally letting go of her. “She just comes every few days to redo the landscaping, Bbom. That’s it.”

 

“Yeah, that and your daughter seems to really like her.”

 

Before she can scold Bomi for shamelessly peeking again, her eyes naturally follow her line of vision. Eunji and Hayoung are squatting comfortably on the grass, having a conversation too far away to be heard, Hayoung listening intently as the woman shows her how to plant some kind of seed. Her dress and fingers are all covered with soil (the black-haired woman knows it’s going to be a headache to wash) but there’s a happy grin on her daughter’s face, with her growing teeth all showing and dirty cheeks, that makes Chorong’s chest feel all strange.

 

She doesn’t think she can ever get over seeing it.

 

That, paired with the adoring look on Eunji’s face—

 

“Are you sure she only visits every few days?”

 

“Shut up, Bomi. And stop staring!” Chorong says as she struts back into the kitchen, face burning up out of her control.

 

•••

 

The heat of summer has finally kicked in.

 

Chorong has only begun to realise t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter