“L-O-V-E”

All For You

Nat King Cole’s famous song L-O-V-E resonates inside the spacious living room. Two teenaged girls are humming along while doing their respective tasks. One of the girls is busy scribbling words on her yellow pad. The other figure is looking for another vinyl record to play on their turntable.

“Seulgi-ah, where is your friend?” A short blonde-haired asks the woman standing near the shelf.

“She’s coming, Wan-wan. She got stuck in traffic.” Her friend replies, still on her quest to look for another vinyl to play.

The woman named Seungwan aka Wan-wan resumes writing her essay. The purpose of her visit to Seulgi’s house is to review and write a report for their school project. Coincidentally, the latter’s friend will arrive today from Daegu. Seulgi informs her that her friend, Bae Joo Hyun, is coming. According to Seulgi, Joo Hyun is two years older and grew up in Daegu. The Bae family decided to move to the city due to a job opportunity offered to her father. The information that Seulgi feeds her does not pique her interest. Essay and coming exam are her priority than knowing this Bae Joo Hyun. No offense (none taken), but that’s how Seungwan thinks. In Son Seungwan's fourteen years of existence, she has one motto in life, that is books before girls, school before anything else... or so she thought.

“Seul,” An older version of Seulgi enters the room, followed by a young woman. “Joo Hyun is here.”

The blonde lifts her head. Suddenly, time stands still. Her surrounding becomes a blur. Only her and Joo Hyun exist. You see, Seungwan reads and watches a lot of cliché teenage love stories. There is a movie that gets stuck in her head, Little Manhattan. She lost count on how many times she watched it. All she remembers is the fascination and curiosity about what Gabe felt to Rosémary. Reading romance novels makes her more curious. Does liking someone makes your heartbeat too fast? Are there butterflies in your stomach?

At this moment, Seungwan finally understands what Gabe felt to Rosémary. A sensation no words can describe. She can compare the moment she first visited Disneyland. It is magical. The colorful fireworks bring her to another dimension. After all, she is in the happiest place on earth. Now, she does not need a ticket to Disneyland to feel it. All she needs is to stand near Joo Hyun and be the happiest person on earth.

The feeling is too overwhelming. Seungwan places her hand against her chest. Hoping that this will ease her abnormally beating heart. Seungwan slowly closes her eyes and breathe. Please calm heart. Please! As she opens her eyes, colorful butterflies are flying. The butterflies in Seungwan’s stomach finally break free.

“Wan-wan,” A snap on her face brings her back to reality.

“Are you okay?” Seulgi asks with concern written on her cute bear-like face.

“Yeah.” The blonde nods. She is still in a daze because of Joo Hyun. In her mind, how did a goddess named Joo Hyun comes down from heaven? Why she is not aware of her existence? Why?!

 

“Joo Hyun-ah, this is my best buddy, Seungwan.” Seulgi introduces her friend. Seungwan internally panics. Did I wash my hands? She looks at her hand and notices a pen mark on her thumb. No! Seungwan’s panic meter raises one level. Another question pops into her head. Do I stink? She subtly sniffs herself. Thank goodness that I used the perfume that Seulgi gave me on my birthday. This lessens the level of her panic meter by half. However, her eyes roam on her body. She realizes that she’s wearing a simple white shirt and denim pants. My gosh, why did I not choose the best outfit in my closet? The panic meter reaches the maxiMom limit.

“Nice to meet you, Seungwan-ssi.” An angelic voice rings her ears. Oh my gosh! She’s not only a goddess but also an angel. The blonde tries her best not to look like a fool in front of the goddess slash angel. The keyword tries.

“Hi,” She shrieks that startling everyone in the house. Even the passers-by outside the house are startled because of the loud voice. Way to go, Seungwan! You know that a first impression is important. Now, you’ve ruined it.

“That’s a pretty high note.” Joo Hyun compliments her. The blonde thinks that the former is pulling her leg, but it feels genuine. She’s an angel.

“Well, she’s one of the best singers in school.” Seulgi butts in. Her tone is half bragging and half teasing her blonde friend.

Since that faithful moment, the trio becomes inseparable. They spend and enjoy their high school days together. As the day passes by, Seungwan’s feelings for Joo Hyun become deeper and deeper. While the latter is still unaware that she is the reason behind Seungwan’s smile.

 

Twenty years after…

In a crowded school auditorium, loud cheering and fanchant are heard.. Two teenage girls are singing and dancing the song Hush of Miss A for their annual summer school event. The key dance steps of removing the curtain then holding the bar and swaying their hips make the crowd wild. These two are famous because of their beauty, brains, and talent.

“Sooyoung-ah,” One of the teenager's fanboys screams. “When you smile, I’m also happy.”

“Yerim-ah,” Another fanboy screams from the crowd. “You are so pretty. I love you!”

In the middle of the fanchant and screaming, a black aura emits from one of the audiences. The black aura comes from a certain blonde that is watching the whole performance with a mixture of proudness and annoyance. The song choice of the two teenagers makes her blood boils. The fanboys are making it worse. She looks around and searches for the fanboy who screams ‘I love you’ to Yerim.

“Who the hell is that?!” She shouts and is about to stand up when a hand holds her arm.

“Chill, Wannie-ah.” The angelic voice makes her calm.

“It is normal for teenagers to be like that.” Joo Hyun is busy recording the performance of her kids on her phone. However, the woman beside her is making it difficult to perfectly capture the moment.

“Why are so chill with their performance and these ‘fans’?” She air quotes the word fans. Joo Hyun rolls her eyes.

“Oh, shut it. You know that our alma mater loves Miss A because of Suzy. ” Joo Hyun pauses her recording. She turns her head to face the blonde. She squints her eyes and accusingly points her finger to Seungwan. “I know how much you love Suzy.”

“Well,” Seungwan places her hand on her nape. A sign that she is shy. This gesture makes Joo Hyun rolls her eyes.

“Most importantly, you are just being a mother hen.”

Seungwan wants to retaliate and defends herself, but the song stops. It means that the performance is over, and she knows that she will never win an argument against Joo Hyun.

“That’s my Sooyoung and Yerim,” She shouts. “My troublemaker twins!”

 

 

 

“You are born performers.” Seungwan simultaneously ruffles the teenager’s hair. They are in the assigned dressing room for the participants of the event. However, the blonde is not sure if she is in a dressing room or gift slash flower shop due to the array of gifts and flowers given by the twin’s quote-unquote fans. Thankfully, the dressing room is big enough to accommodate other participants and the twin’s gifts.

“Of course, we are.” Sooyoung, the slightly taller and older between the twins sassily answers. “My perfect S line boosts our performance.”

Yerim, the younger and shorter between the two rolls her eyes.

“Why are you so cocky, yellow chick?”

“Yah, Squirtle!”

Seungwan can sense that a world war is about to start. So, she diverts their attention by asking the question that bugs her in their whole performance.

“Of all songs, why Hush by Miss A? I’m not against Sistar or anything.” Seungwan defensively shakes her hands. “If I may add, Suzy sunbaenim is damn hot.”

Yerim groans while Sooyoung laughs.

“I know that’s TMI. You don’t have to know that.”

“We will not tell mom about you having a crush on Suzy.” Sooyoung teases.

The older woman is flustered. One way to dodge the situation is by asking another question.

“And why are you wearing super short shorts?” The twins simultaneously roll their eyes. Here comes the mother hen of all time.

“Where’s mom?” Yerim asks.

The door swings open. Joo Hyun emerges with a proud smile on her face. The twins see their mother walking towards them. They enthusiastically wave their hands and call their mother. However, the smile on their faces turns into frowns.

“Why is he here?” The taller twin annoyingly asks.

“Yerim-ah and Sooyoung-ah, your performance is amazing.” Their mother tightly hugs them and pats their backs. Joo Hyun untangles herself, then stands beside the man and holds his hand.

“I’m sorry that I did not get a chance to watch you perform. My meeting ended late.” The handsome man explains.

“It is better if you are not here.” The taller between the two whispers but still loud enough for them to hear. She intentionally said a little loud for him to hear it.

“Manners, Bae Sooyoung.” Joo Hyun reprimands.

“I agree. Aunt Seungwan is enough.” Yerim adds.

“Not you too, Bae Yerim.”

A loud clearing of the throat breaks the tension that starts to form. Miss Kim Sejeong, the twin’s homeroom teacher is standing a little too close to Seungwan.

“Hi, Joo Hyun-ssi, Bogum-ssi, and twins.” The homeroom teacher greets them.

“And to you Seungwan-ssi.” She shyly tucks her hair behind her ear and looks at Seungwan with shyness and a hint of admiration.

“Hello to you, Teacher Sejeong.” Joo Hyun interrupts the disgustingly moment of the two.

“I’m really happy with your performance. Everyone is overjoyed and hype about it. Thank you so much, twins.”

“Are you really happy with our performance or because Aunt Wannie is her? Do you like her?” Sooyoung bombards her homeroom teacher with questions. As you can see, Sooyoung is more straightforward and louder while Yerim is timid and silent but can also be deadly like her twin. If the situations ask for it, Yerim will join the battle. They will fight together against evil. Bwahahaha. Okay, we are getting away from the awkward situation.

Insert cricket sound effects for painfully awkward silence.

“Ha. Ha. Ha.” The homeroom teacher laughs awkwardly. “Of course, I’m here to congratulate you for your great performance.”

“Thank you for the compliment, Teacher Sejeong.” Seungwan butts in. If she will not say anything, the situation will be more awkward. These troublemaker twins. Tsk.

“Of course, you’re beautiful,” Sejeong says, then gasps loudly and lightly slaps .

“What I mean is the twins are beautiful.” The homeroom teacher pauses again. Her eyes widen when she realizes that her words might indicate that Seungwan is not beautiful. “But it does not mean that you are not beautiful, Seungwan-ssi.”

The blonde giggles as she raises her hand to hold Sejeong’s arm. The action makes the latter to be more flustered.

“I understand, Sejeong-ssi. You don’t have to explain.” Seungwan gently smiles at her.

Newsflash! The sun is jobless due to the blonde’s radiating smile. Another newsflash. A high school homeroom teacher is found lifeless inside a dressing room. She needs CPR from a certain blonde. Kidding! She might die if that will happen.

“Are you okay, Sejeong-ssi?” The blonde stands closer to check if the homeroom teacher is okay. The latter blinks her eyes and gasps loudly. Her face is a few centimeters away from the former.

“Yeah, I’m okay.” Sejeong gathers all her strength to stand straight because her legs feel like Jell-O. “I need to check the other performers.” 

After Sejeong leaves the room, Yerim suddenly dances some random steps but mostly teases her sister.

“Give me 50 bucks, yellow chick!” Yerim happily elbows her twin.

“I hate you!” Sooyoung grabs her backpack and unwillingly gives 50 bucks to Yerim.

“What are you doing?” The blonde is bewildered by the whole situation. She cannot comprehend the transition from the awkward question of Sooyoung to Yerim weirdly dancing and teasing her sister.

“Well, I’m 50 bucks richer than my twin.” The younger twin proudly shows her 50 bucks and gently rubs on her Aunt Seungwan’s face.

“I can see that,” Seungwan swats the money away from her face. “What I mean is why is Sooyoung giving you her precious money?”

“Well, this yellow chick said that teacher Sejeong will back off after asking her if she likes you. I, on the other hand, am firm that teacher Sejeong will be bolder in approaching you. Heck, I’m right! You even made it easier for me to win, Aunt Seungwan.”

“Words, Bae Yerim.” Joo Hyun and Seungwan reprimand at the same time.

Sooyoung and Yerim continue their little teasing and bickering. Seungwan also joins them to be a) A referee b) To be the main subject of teasing and pairing with teacher Sejeong, and c) Just make fun of their aunt that is clueless that she unintentionally flirts with their teacher. The twins love teasing their aunt because she just tolerates them, but they also know when fun time and serious time are. Honestly, they are more scared of Seungwan than Joo Hyun, their mother. 

“Aunt Wannie and Teacher Sejeong sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G.” Sooyoung sings.

“First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby in a carriage.” Yerim also sings.

“Wait,” The taller twin ponders. “If Aunt Wannie will have a kid with Teacher Sejeong, what will happen to us?”

“No~” The younger one cutely whines as she stomps her left foot.

“We are your only babies, Aunt Seungwan.” Yerim clings to her aunt.

“Yeah.” Sooyoung joins in.   

“Stop this nonsense!” The blatant show of affection by the trio halted. The intensity of Joo Hyun’s words causes the temperature of the room to drop at negative ten.

 A loud siren sound interrupts them. The trio can finally breathe and relax. MonHyun is a type of hellish you don’t want to witness (MonHyun is more applicable to Seungwan). Imagine the angelic face of Bae Joo Hyun warps into a monster. I’m a little monster. The transformation of Joo Hyun comes to a halt when a loud siren rings inside the room.  

 “Aunt Wannie, can you please change your message notification sound.” Sooyoung pinches her aunt. The latter sheepishly smile while reading her message.

“You know I prefer to text than call, right?”

“But that is too much, Aunt Seungwan,” Yerim adds.

“Oh look! Your Aunt Seulbear is already looking for me. She needs me to be at the site within 20 minutes.” Seungwan shows the message to the twins. The latter loudly protest.

“Aunt Wannie, I thought you are joining us for lunch.” Sooyoung tightly hugs her aunt.

“Yeah, Aunt Seungwan. You know how much we miss you.” Yerim also clings to her aunt. The latter giggles and pats their head.

“I don’t want your Aunt Seulgi to get mad at me.”

“But you are also the owner,” Yerim argues.

“So? Just because I’m also the owner I will take advantage of my position.”

“You and your principles.” Sooyoung lightly slaps her aunt’s arm.

“You should behave. Don’t give your mother a headache and be nice to your Uncle Bogum.” Their clingy power attack is not effective as before. When they were young, this attack is highly effective but as time goes by, their aunt becomes immune to it.

They decided to just let Seungwan go. If they cannot have lunch with her, they can just crash to her house and have dinner while watching Netflix, that idea is better than having an awkward lunch with their Aunt Seungwan and their mother who is blatantly showing affection to Bogum.

“Bye Joo Hyun-ah and Bogum-ssi.”

Seungwan already left but there is one person that can still feel her presence. Joo Hyun and Bogum are together for almost two years. For the twins, he is just their mother’s boyfriend. They never treated him the way they treated Seungwan.  Don’t get him wrong. He tried and still trying to win the twin’s heart, but he cannot beat or replace Seungwan. No one can beat or replace Seungwan.