Chapter 1: Spring Break

Unexpected Vacation with BTS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You need a boyfriend.”

“You’ll grow old alone!”

Some kind words from my two best friends. Jung Ji Woo and Jung Junhyung. Related? No. But, honestly, they are two peas in a pod. Although, they frequently disagree. They rarely do agree and when it happens, it’s usually about my non-existent love life, as they call it. Well, it’s true.

 

My life before South Korea was quiet but also chaotic. Chaotic is my middle name. hehe. I was just a boring, ordinary girl. You know, the type that studies during the week and then goes to work during the weekend to earn money for new clothes or shoes. I never really had much time for myself. After spending a gap year and earning money, I was able to move to South Korea. Big move? Very. I went to a college in my city. So, I don’t really know the feeling of living alone and providing just for myself. Thankfully, with the money I earned while working in Starbucks and also being accepted into a scholarship program, it has allowed me to not require a part-time job during my stay here. So now I can fully enjoy my life.

 

My two best friends have had different lives from me. Jung Ji Woo comes from a fairly well-off family and has enjoyed her life without knowing the hardships of having part-time jobs during college. But, she’s a hard worker. She does not let her family background define her. Most of all, she is the kindest person with the biggest heart. She is a bit of an out-going and party person. Opposite to me but we balance each other out. Meeting her was possibly the best thing that has happened to me since my move here.

 

Jung Junhyung… on the other hand. A strange boy. Just like me, has had the experience of providing for himself. But I admire his lifestyle, that still had time to enjoy everything around him. It’s hard to describe him, he has this 4D character that only comes out when he’s comfortable with you. But we’ll see that later.  

 

Due to our different lives, my two best friends have been trying to get me to experience Seoul to the fullest. Really, it’s more of getting me on night outs. Which we still struggle with because at the end of the day we are still PhD candidates. But because of how I said I’ll enjoy my life; my two best friends are keen on making this the best time of my life. I’m getting there! Slowly but surely. Even though I thought I’d have more time to myself, I was wrong and…

 

I’m really stressed out.

 

“We should go on…some sort of retreat? Like a getaway? Like 2 weeks?”

“PLEASE.”

They both stare at me knowing I’m the only one that is contemplating this idea. I don’t blame them, its stressful. We’re in different programs but in some way, we became friends. Best of friends actually. Always spending our free time with each other. Just like now, spending our lunch break together, mainly because I was able to escape the lab today.

 

After complaining about how stressed and busy we were, Unnie reminds us about of Spring Break. I forgot about that actually. I was so busy lately. We all check our calendars and notice the miracle has happened. A very rare occasion has occurred in which the 3 of us have vacation at the same time. We have 3 weeks of vacation. What to do? What to do?

 

“Actually…Jihye don’t answer!!! We’re dragging you with us with or without an answer.” I sigh. It was a sigh relief actually. I’m thankful for friends like them, that care about my social life and my well-being. Junhyung giving me a gentle pat on the back as I eat tteokbokki whilst staring at the beautiful Yonsei Campus. Yonsei was the best choice. It’s so peaceful and beautiful. When we were all free, we usually enjoy some coffee and a nice meal out, for a breath of fresh air.

 

“We can go to my parents holiday home?” Junhyung and I just nodding without giving it much thought. We trust her. It’ll be our first time going to her parents’ properties. She comes from a family of real estate agents and her older brother actually got me my first apartment which I share with Unnie. I never met her younger brother actually, now thinking about it.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter