Final

Wishlist

Dear Santa,

I know I'm too old to write you a letter but I don't know what to do anymore. There's this guy I like, you probably know who he is since you know everything, but he doesn’t seem to get it. I'm pretty sure he likes me too, we've known each other since forever and I can read him like an open book. I've tried everything to make him understand that I like him but it never worked. I've been a good boy all these years - let's not count these few nights please - and it's the last time I'm asking you for something, ever. Anyway, what I want is just a kiss from Yeonjun hyung, my best friend, my crush, my soulmate, my one and only love. Please, make it happen.

Soobin.

 

Yeonjun was smiling to his ears as he finished reading Soobin's letter. At age 22, he would have thought Soobin was done writing Christmas letters, but he was happy he had written one this year as well. It was the best letter he had ever come across and, fortunately, Soobin wasn't asking for a lot. Yeonjun felt a bit embarrassed though because Soobin knew he liked him and he was the oblivious one in the story. He shook his head and decided that, this year as well, Soobin would get what he wanted.

 

"Soobin-ah, we're still meeting for Christmas, right?" Yeonjun asked while they were entering the mall.

Soobin still had to buy a present for his mom and he had asked for Yeonjun to come with him.

"Of course we are. Did you change your mind?" Soobin asked, looking a bit sad.

"No, I'm only making sure we're on the same page. You know, since we won’t be together for Christmas Eve this year."

"Yeah, I know. Just thinking about it is weird." Soobin said, pouting.

"Don't be sad, we'll be able to see each other to exchange presents."

"By the way, did you get everyone a present already? You’re usually as late as me."

"This year I wanted to be ready and avoid the last-minute rush. It's too exhausting."

"Right, you're getting old." Soobin joked, earning a punch by Yeonjun.

“You’re only one year younger, Binnie, and you get old as fast as I do.” Yeonjun replied, smiling nonetheless.

“Yeah, whatever.” Soobin said, pouting as he rubbed his arm.

“So, what are you gonna buy your mom?”

“I thought about buying her a new pan but after thinking about it, it sounded too misogynistic.” Soobin giggled. “So, I decided to buy her that perfume she had been wanting for so long.”

“But aren’t you afraid your dad or sister already bought it?”

“Nah, we told each other what we’d get her and I was the only one to think of the perfume. Belatedly, I’ll admit, but the only one nonetheless.” Soobin proudly stated.

Yeonjun was hardly holding back from screaming at the top of his lungs from how cute Soobin was. He couldn’t believe how he managed to get around being so cute.

“Well, let’s go get that perfume then!” Yeonjun said, grabbing Soobin by the arm and dragging him to the nearest perfume shop.

They spent a good two hours searching for the perfume which, strangely, couldn’t be found anywhere. When they finally found it, Soobin had to ask Yeonjun to pay a part of the price because it was far beyond his budget. But Yeonjun didn’t mind and gladly paid the price since they had to each go back to their respective house.

“See you tomorrow, Binnie.”

“See you tomorrow, Junnie.”

 

The next morning, Yeonjun was feeling all giddy. He had spent the whole Christmas Eve dinner thinking about how Soobin would react to his gift. Would he be happy? Would he cry? Would he just think it’s all a joke? Yeonjun hoped it wouldn’t be the latter. Yeonjun’s feelings were everything but a joke, he needed Soobin to understand this. Yeonjun knew that Soobin knew him more than anyone else, that he knew Yeonjun would never joke about things like this but Soobin could also be the silliest boy sometimes. Just thinking of Soobin made a smile creep up Yeonjun’s lips.

Soon enough, Yeonjun was all dressed up, ready to go. He told his mom where he was off to – though she already knew – and made his way to his and Soobin’s special spot. They had discovered what later became their special spot when they were in middle school. They were playing tag, just the two of them, and Soobin was trying to escape Yeonjun when he jumped over bushes and found this little garden. It was filled with flowers and, in the middle, was a white kiosk with climbing roses on it. They had been so mesmerized by the beauty of it all that they’d totally forgot about the game and just spent the whole afternoon talking, playing and, at the end of the day, they carved their initials on the kiosk, officially making it their own place.

Yeonjun arrived there around 11, a bit earlier than what they had agreed on but he didn’t mind waiting for Soobin. It gave him time to reminisce his favourite moments here and to try rehearsing what he’d say to Soobin, if he had a chance to talk.

Ten minutes later, Soobin finally showed up, his hair messy for the wind, his nose and cheeks red from the cold. He had a big box in his hands and it sounded quite heavy when he put it on the ground.

“Hey, you’re here early.” Soobin stated with a smile, getting closer to Yeonjun. Then, he looked around and he suddenly looked confused. “Where’s my gift?”

Yeonjun smiled. He looked so freaking cute, what the hell was up with him seriously?

“I have it. It’s just small but I think you’ll love it.” Yeonjun said and, seeing that Soobin didn’t understand, he went on. “I thought about it for some while and decided that an object wasn’t necessary this year. Every year, I manage to get you exactly what you want, if possible, and I think that I offered you enough material things, you can’t possibly be wishing to get one more, right? So, I thought of something that’s still useful, in some way, and that you’ll hopefully remember for a long time.”

Yeonjun paused, giving Soobin some time so it could all sink in. When it did, Soobin blinked and looked even more confused. Yeonjun got closer, so close that they were almost nose to nose.

“What is it then?” Soobin asked, his voice getting caught in his throat.

Yeonjun smiled and connected their lips. He had planned to just leave a chaste kiss on Soobin’s lips but he hadn’t expected Soobin to grab him by his collar and kiss him harder.

It should have lasted a few seconds but it felt like hours for Yeonjun. He didn’t know he craved this feeling until he felt it. Soobin’s cold lips on his warm ones, making his heart burst in his chest and all his body melt at the same time. They quickly pulled apart, breathing heavily.

“.” Soobin said when he could breathe almost properly.

“That’s all you find to say?” Yeonjun asked, smiling ear to ear.

“No, I have something else to say. What was that?”

“That was me kissing you.” Yeonjun replied, playing dumb.

“I know that. But why did you kiss me?”

“Because it was what you wish for. And because I’m in love with you.”

“Really?” Soobin asked, making sure.

“Really.” Yeonjun simply answered.

Soobin stayed silent for a few moments before mirroring Yeonjun’s smile.

“Do you wanna be my boyfriend?” Soobin asked and Yeonjun laughed.

“I kissed you, do you really need me to answer that question?” he asked and Soobin nodded. “Yes, I wanna be your boyfriend Binnie.”

“Well, now that’s settled…” Soobin began, lacing his fingers with Yeonjun’s. “I have a present for you too.” He said, pulling Yeonjun so he stood right in front of his box.

“I’m sure you’ll love it.” he proudly stated and Yeonjun kissed him on the cheek.

He reluctantly let go of Soobin’s hand and unwrapped the gift.

“Oh my god. OH MY GOD! ARE YOU CRAZY?!” he shouted, turning to Soobin, his eyes wide as saucers and a wide smile on his face.

“I knew you’d love it. I’m the best boyfriend ever, I know.”

“We weren’t boyfriends when you bought it but I’ll let it slide this time because LEGOS! I DREAMED OF HAVING LEGOS SINCE I WAS A CHILD! Thank you, Binnie.” Yeonjun said, hugging Soobin tight.

“Merry Christmas, hyungie.”

“Merry Christmas to you too.”

They detached and Soobin suddenly frowned.

“I have a question though. How do you manage to always get the right present for me?”

“Well, it’s a funny story…” Yeonjun said, nervously giggling.