one.

New Year's Eve

 

 

 

Eunbi couldn’t quite find the exact reason why and how her body dragged itself into her car. She mindlessly started the engine and drove into the darkness. Slowly, she went, as her eyes wandered through the familiar street signs. Her body’s pumping blood faster than usual that she can feel the heat escaping her face. 

 

 

 

With the brakes being pulled and the car door being opened, her foot stepped outside the stationary car. Small yet visible steps can be observed as she approaches her destination. She reached for the door ringer just below the “Merry Christmas” sign. 

 

 

 

Three knocks.

 

 

No answer.

 

 

 

Two hesitant knocks followed.

 

 

 

The silence is going to eat me alive,’ she thought. She glanced at her watch that reads: 11:28 pm. It’s late, but what was she doing there? 

 

 

 

Soon enough, soft steps were apparent on the other side of the door.

 

 

 

The door creaks. 

 

 

 

A 23-year-old woman in a pink dinosaur onesie appears, two syllables escaping her lips.

 

 

 

“Eunbi?”

 

 

That’s my name.

 

 

 

“Sorry.. were you about to sleep?” Eunbi asked in a tone so soft it almost sounded like a whisper. 

 

 

 

“Not really. I mean, it’s almost New Year so I should at least wait for it.” 

 

 

 

Eunbi let out a chuckle before replying, “You look very much about to sleep though..” 

 

 

 

“You know how comfy these are, you’re even wearing one right now.” the girl replied, resulting in a chuckle as well. 

 

 

 

“You gave me these, Yewon.” Eunbi firmly said, specifically pointing at the beak on top of her head. A smile that she’s been trying to contain finally emerged from her lips. “Let’s go for a drive, I know a spot.”

 

 

 

 

 

It was a quiet ride. The silence was different from the previous one. The eeriness transformed into warmth. 

 

 

 

But the moment she parked the car, she felt another wave of heat exiting her body.

 

 

 

“We’re here.” Eunbi stated while turning the engine off. 

 

 

 

Yewon immediately went outside, eyeing the countless lights that rested above them. Eunbi reached for the back seat before following her. 

 

 

 

“I brought these,” Eunbi gave two sticks to Yewon. 

 

 

 

The pink dino stopped on her tracks after realizing what they were. 

 

 

 

“When and where did you buy sparklers?!” 

 

 

 

“I saw it from my neighbors and asked for some.” She lied. She, in fact, bought it online with a resentful amount of shipping fee just for this very moment. And she, of course, will not admit to that.

 

 

 

With two sticks on her left hand, Eunbi tries to take the lighter out of her left pocket using her right hand. And this looked ridiculously funny to Yewon.

 

 

“Will you stop laughing and just help me?” Eunbi asked, almost sounding like a plea.

 

 

“Alright, alright.” Yewon replied, still laughing.

 

 

 

 

Silence wrapped them once again. Only the tiny sparkles were their source of illumination. It was awfully dark, but Eunbi could see her smile so clearly that she didn’t notice her own lips curving up. It’s infectious.

 

 

 

A low-volumed alarm interrupted them. 

 

 

11:55pm.

 

 

It’s time.

 

 

Eunbi took a deep breath before leaving her previous position. The other girl followed her tracks. 

 

 

 

“Yewon.” She softly spoke. Without a sound, a pair of chocolate eyes met her own. The moon shone so bright that she could see a white streak just beside Yewon’s beady orbs.

 

 

 

She felt fuzzy and had to back up a little. It caught her off guard.

 

 

 

Taking in another breath, she stepped a little closer. Too close. She was brave enough to hold that position this time. 

 

 

 

“Eunbi.” The voice, the tone, everything. Eunbi could feel her heart ascending from her chest. 

 

 

 

“Huh?” Her mind was so fogged she stated an automated reply.

 

 

 

“What were you gonna say?” Yewon giggled. It was Eunbi who called her first after all. 

 

 

 

“OH. Right. Uh..” She looks away but can still see Yewon’s face from her peripheral view, patiently waiting for her answer.

 

 

 

“Eunbi.” Yewon called her again to catch her eyes.

 

 

That’s my name.

 

 

 

“Yewon..” Eunbi answers, ignoring the loud thumps as she inches closer.

 

 

 

Those eyes feel like a walk in a never-ending flower garden.

 

 

Every time you say my name, a river flows into my withered veins.

 

 

And now, I want you to know that..

 

 

 

“I love you, Yewon. And I have been feeling that way for a long, long while..” 

 

 

 

Eunbi continues. “And I also know that it took me quite longer to admit it. Every new road that I try to build, no matter how many, it seems that the end point does not change.”

 

 

“..because they always lead me to you.”

 

 

“And even if you don’t feel the same way..”

 

 

“..always remember that you have my heart.”

 

 

 

“Happy new year’s eve, love.”

 

 

 

 

 

end.

 

 

--------

Thanks for reading my first work!

Leave a comment, I want to know what you think.

 

 

[ www.twitter.com/onlysinb ]