fin.

Big presents, big belly

Jungeun looks at herself in the mirror. The big, protruding belly makes her smile reach her ears.

Her and Jinsol have been dating since they were in college, almost 15 years now. And a few months ago, they made the big choice of expanding their family a little bit. Of course, they already had their first born, a big chubby tabby cat whose name was Pancake.

Jinsol claimed Pancake was feeling lonely and needed someone to make him company, and instead of suggesting adopting another pet, she suggested a baby. Of course, Jungeun had thought about it, but Jinsol’s nonchalance caught her off guard.

-/-/-

“A baby?!” They were sitting side by side on the couch, with Pancake sprawled in Jinsol’s lap.

Jinsol shrugged while petting Pancke’s round face. “It’s not like we don’t talk about it… and I really want a mini Jungie running around, bossying me around.” She looks up to meet Jungeun’s unimpressed expression, staring her back.

“I am not bossy. Besides, how do you know it’s gonna be a mini Jungeun? It could be a mini Jinsol. I can already imagine their little hands building legos and growing up to be a huge ocean nerd.” She finishes with a chuckle.

“Hey! My obsession got me a really good job. You should be proud that your nerd is doing well.” Now Jinsol’s pouting and Pancake is staring at her, wondering why he isn’t receiving his head scratches.

Jungeun takes a moment to look at her wife, her best friend, her soulmate. She thinks about school and how they met. She thinks about their first date. She even thinks about their fights and how Jungeun realized she wouldn’t find anyone like Jinsol.

“Ok.” She grabs Jinsol’s hand and intertwines their fingers. Jinsol’s hand still soft as ever, even after all those years working with chemicals. They still fit perfectly on Jungeun’s hand, and she can feel Jinsol tightening her grip. She looks up and Jinsol’s looking at her like she just gave her the best present ever.

“Really?” She says, full of emotion.

“Yeah. I really want another Jinsol.” Jungeun says, laughing. Jinsol joins her.

They spent the rest of the day with their hands all over each other.

-/-/-

It’s been 8 months since that day and now Jungeun’s got a big problem.

And the problem is sleeping comfortably on her belly for the past 8 months.

She wanted to surprise Jinsol on Christmas, so here she was. In front of the mirror of their room, looking at herself dressed in a makeshift off shoulder blouse made of wrapping paper and a short skirt also made of wrapping paper.

“I look stupid.” She tugs at the top and adjusts both the ribbons she put where her s should be. She laughs a little. “Yeah, this is stupid. What do you think, baby?”

Jungeun puts her hands on her belly to communicate with the baby. She doesn’t feel anything.

“It’s so stupid you don’t wanna say nothing? Even my own baby…”

She shakes her head while looking at her bump. The baby isn’t even born and Jungeun is already being dramatic. Pregnancy hormones are no joke.
After putting a little make up on, Jungeun’s ready to knock Jinsol’s socks off. Well, she hopes she can knock more than just her socks off. She’s been feeling needy since the first week of having a tiny human being formed in her womb. Again, pregnancy hormones are no joke.

Jinsol is still at work, finishing up for the year, so she’ll be home a little bit later than usual. Jungeun had already done her work assignments earlier in the afternoon. Being on pregnancy leave left Jungeun feeling kind of lonely during the days, but Pancake, being the sensitive animal he is, would snuggle besides Jungeun to keep her company.

(After one of the first days working from home, Jungeun told Jinsol that Pancake could sense her loneliness and would cuddle her for hours. She was very emotional and really touched thinking that Pancake would care so much for her.

Jinsol didn’t have the heart to tell her Pancake was probably doing that because of the hormones. It would break her heart in a million pieces. Or make her mad. Well, pregnancy hormones, right?)

Suddenly, Pancake moved to the front door and started meowing ferociously, like he always does when Jinsol’s coming. Finally, the keys rattling at the front door signaled Jinsol’s arrival.

“Baby, I’m home!” Jungeun hears clothes and happy little meows.

“Gonna be down in a minute!” She hurries to put a robe on and grabs a santa hat and puts it on. “Why am I doing this…”

Going down the stairs she can hear Jinsol doing something at the kitchen. Probably finishing the dishes Jungeun started a little while ago. She moves quietly to the living room, where the tree and the presents are.

“Wow, the turkey looks really good!” Jinsol speaks loudly enough for Jungeun to hear. “And smells really good too. Did you put rosemary like your mom said to?” Jungeun’s heart does somersaults in her chest. It’s been 15 years but being so domestic with the love of her life always gets her.

“Baby, can you come to the living room? I have a gift for you.” As she hears Jinsol moving towards her, she exhales nervously. She wouldn’t not like, right?

Jinsol enters the room and locks eyes with Jungeun. “Hey, why are you wearing your robe-“ She stops talking when Jungeun lets the robe drop to her feet. Jinsol eyes her entire body with agape. “What…” She’s inching closer, but slowly. Eyes roaming Jungeun’s body, taking everything in. Jungeun feels tiny under Jinsol’s gaze and starts curling into herself. Well, she tries to.

“I wanted to… surprise you…” She’s got her head down and can only see Jinsol’s feet in front of her. “I saw this trend on the internet and thought about doing it with you… thought you’d like it or find it funny; I don’t know.” She says, getting more embarrassed than ever.

“Jungie… look at me.” Jinsol takes Jungeun’s hands and caresses then with her thumbs. Jungeun meets Jinsol’s eyes and they’re black. “That’s… wow.” She feels heat rising to her chest, face, ears. She feels hot all over and she tells herself it’s because Jinsol’s still checking her out.

“You look hot, mama.” It’s what Jinsol says after a few seconds of just looking at each other.

“Please don’t call me that.” Jungeun forgets her early embarrassment only to be more embarrassed by the new nickname.

“Why? You are a mama to be. And you look hot. A very hot present.” She grins while checking Jungeun out once again. “Thanks for this, baby.” She pecks her wife then crouches to talk to her other baby. “And thank you too, kiddo. You make mommy look very hot.”

Jungeun scoffs. Jinsol stands up and touches foreheads with Jungeun.
“Seriously, thanks for this. It’s the best Christmas present ever. Both you and this one that’s cooking here.” She taps Jungeun’s belly lightly. ”The two most precious presents I could get today.

“Now, you’re coming with me to the bedroom. I, too, have a present for you.” Jinsol’s got that stupid look on her face and is wiggling her eyebrows at Jungeun.

Jinsol never opened a present so quickly on her life.