Fin.

Online Driver

"Jeong, my Grab has arrived. Are you sure you don't want to go home with me? It's late already," Giselle, one of the colleagues and also a best friend to the smaller girl said; distracting the latter’s focus from the monitor screen. Once, the older girl glanced at the digital clock hanging on the wall only for it to show 21:35 as the current time.

Minjeong; the smaller girl looked up from her monitor screen and found her friend was already standing up, ready to go with her handbag in hand.

"Ah yeah, I still have some work to finish. You can go home first, Gi."

"Is it Manager Han again?" The Japanese woman squinted her eyes.

Minjeong on the other hand, let out a deep sigh, "well one thousand dollars for you, Gi," she slumped deeper in her seat.

"Damn, he's at it again. Won't you tell Boss Bae about it? He has caused you a lot of trouble, Jeong, and maybe all his team members" Giselle hissed in annoyance. 

"I know, but.." the smaller girl trailed off.

"Ugh, I swear if you ain't tell Boss Bae about it, I'll surely tell her myself for you."

"No, don’t! You'll put me in trouble, Giselle!"

"That's why! You should tell Boss Bae about it. She has the authorization of Manager Han. She can do something about him,"

When Giselle was about to lecture her friend again, her phone rang – interrupting their argument.

"It must be your Grab driver, Gi."

"Ugh, yeah. But anyway, we're not done Jeong, I'm still going to do it if you won't speak for yourself sooner"

"Fine fine Gi, I'll try to talk to Boss Bae about it,"

"Okay, I'll go home now. Make sure you don't go home past ten, you hear me?"

"Yes yes Aeri Uchinaga, I heard you very well. Now go, your Grab must be waiting."

Dismissing their small convo, Minjeong ignored Giselle's small glare. "Take care, bestie, just call me if there's anything."

"Thanks Jeong, and you too.. I'll see you again tomorrow. Good night!"

Then the Japanese woman left the big production room, leaving Minjeong and some of the other night shift colleagues sitting far from her alone.

"Ah, I need to be quick."
 

--

Minjeong brought her left hand to her chest to check the time from her watch – 23:04. Giselle is so going to kill me if she knows.

She sighed as she thought of a way to go home. Her company indeed provides Grab services for female employees who have night shifts starting from 9 pm or just anyone who finishes their work past 9 pm until dawn at 5 am for early morning shifters.

But she's contemplating using such a privilege because she knows how dangerous it is for a girl like her to go home alone using Grab at this late hour. However, she currently had none to depend on either even though she knew her mother was always ready to pick her up. She just didn't want to trouble her. And if so, she would get a long- lecture to listen to also.
 

A beeping sound woke her up from her daze.

It's a message from the Grab application. Ignoring Giselle's message earlier, she made up her mind to book a Grab car service for herself while silently praying she'd be coming home safe and sound and in a one-piece body.

 

Driver Jimin: hello Miss Minjeong, I'm your driver tonight. I'll be arriving at your pickup point in 5 minutes. Kindly wait, and thank you for your patience.

Looking into the driver's profile, she didn't realize she had spaced out quite long until another notification sound woke her up again from her daze.

Driver Jimin: hi Miss Minjeong, I've arrived at the pickup point.

Oh gosh, not at me busy gawking at her beauty for the past 5 minutes. Yes, her driver was a girl. How lucky. And not to mention.. a pretty one.

Hurriedly she replied in the application chat room.

Me: hi, sorry, yes I'll be downstairs in 2 mins

Me: thank you

Driver Jimin: no worries, take your time :)

 

After checking her desk for the last time, she immediately rushed out to take an elevator.

"Black Mazda.. black Mazda" While jogging to the front entrance of the company building, her eyes roamed outside to find the car model written on the application.

“–there you are.” Caught a view of the car she's looking for, she slowed down and knocked on the window to the passenger seat.

Jimin as the driver lowered down the car window and greeted the latter, "with Miss Minjeong?"

"Ah yes, this is with Jimin, right?" 

Jimin nodded with a smile.

Got mesmerized a little with the smile, Minjeong immediately snapped out from her daydream. She blinked multiple times while shaking her head trying to get her focus back. I guess the effect of staring at the monitor screen for the whole day, Minjeong mentally blamed herself. She then hopped into the car.

"Good evening, Miss Minjeong,"

"Oh, g-good evening too." Aaa, this is such a mess. Why the f did I stutter?! Silently Minjeong cursed inside her mind.

"Alright then if you're ready, we will go now." After setting the address in the GPS application, the young female driver seemed to take a glance at the rear mirror to make sure her client was all buckled up.

Minjeong on the other hand, after by accident meeting eye contact with the older girl (she thought the driver seemed to be older and taller than her just by observing from the way she acted and from taking a glimpse of her body size) nodded shyly. She noticed Jimin chuckling at her small action.

Ah, why am I embarrassing myself. 

 

The trip was awkwardly silent. Jimin being the considerate driver that she was, decided to turn on the radio for some jazz music to accompany the silent night. It's not loud nor low enough to disturb her client's comfort.

However, probably due to exhaustion, the music seemed to lullaby the small passenger to sleep for some minutes. It didn't escape from her awareness. Taking another glance at the rear mirror, she found the latter was already dozing off with her head bobbing once in a while cutely.

Jimin chose to lower down the volume. 

She seems exhausted. Take as much sleep as you–

"W-why did you lower the volume?"

–oops. Probably not a good idea. Jimin thought.

Flinching a little at the sudden question, Jimin awkwardly turned the volume up again, "sorry, I just thought you need a comfortable silence for your sleep,"

"Ah yeah, no worries. I'm all good. I shouldn't be sleeping through the journey though, haha thank you for the consideration" Minjeong awkwardly laughed.

"Sure." Jimin threw her a comforting smile once again.

 

It's another silence until Jimin decided to break it by starting a small conversation.

"Were you working?"

Better than feeling bored, the smaller girl decided to participate in a conversation with the latter.

"Yeah, you know.. just finishing up some piled-up work." Minjeong spoke as she checked the time from her phone screen – 23.17. Not even 15 minutes passed.

Jimin nodded. She was sort of contemplating to continue asking further just for the sake to liven up the atmosphere. But decided not to.

She's kinda happy knowing the latter began to ask further instead. Seems like she's up for it.

"How about you? It's late already yet here you are taking a Grab order," Realizing her chosen words, Minjeong continued, "sorry, I-I didn't mean anything bad nor being rude – it's just.. you know–you know what I mean.." seeing the older girl only staring at her blabbering, Minjeong let out a sigh and slumped back in her seat. "you can ignore my question sorry,"

Jimin on the other hand laughed, "no I'm okay with it haha, it's a common question I get whenever I receive an order around at this hour," checking the GPS screen, she elegantly turned the steering wheel to the right following the arrow on the map. "I'm a college graduate, so just taking a little of my time to relax before really starting my job as a regular employee in a company."

Wow, a college graduate? Probably she's around my age then? Maybe not.

"Ah, I see.."

"Yeah, even I know taking orders at night could possibly put me in danger anytime." Jimin chuckled saying it like it's a small thing.

This girl is such a free soul, isn't she?

"But why at night?"

"Umm.. honestly I have no strong reason, but maybe it's because I really like the night view and the atmosphere? It's so much calmer and less hectic than during the day."
 

-- 

Too much putting her attention on the other girl’s stories, Minjeong didn't notice she's already in her apartment complex.

"We're here." Jimin stepped on the brake gently. Once she had locked the hand brake, she whipped her head to the back seat to stare at her client. Her small client.

Does she seriously work? Still can't believe she's already a regular employee. Her small figure is more suitable for a high schooler, though. But the phrase is true, “don’t judge a book by its cover” - don’t judge someone from their body size /?

"Oh y-yeah sorry, I wasn't aware of my surroundings," Minjeong awkwardly smiled.

After settling with the payment, Jimin, being the friendly driver, bid her a good night and watched her client blushed for the nth time that night before getting out of the car.

"Good night to you too, Jimin.. t-take care," Minjeong spoke and mumbled the last part.
 

--

Another hectic week and it's Friday night, AND Minjeong was still spending her time at the office doing whatever her manager asked her to. He knew tomorrow would be the weekend, being the annoying manager that he is, Mr. Han decided to pass all his work to her and took an early leave saying he had an urgent meeting to attend to. Bul. But what could she do when she's still just one of his subordinates. Furthermore, she's just a six-month-transferred member in his team – although already a three-and-a-half-year-old employee in that company. A warning letter is a no. 

And with that, she decided to stay a bit longer and finish whatever it was –thinking she could have her weekends free. Looks like this will be my routine for every Friday. 

Glancing at the digital clock on the wall, she decided to reserve another Grab service. 

Damn, I'm coming home later than usual, didn't realize the time – 23.45. Hoping I'll be safe ㅠㅠ

Staring at her phone screen she widened her eyes as she took notice of the driver profile. It's the same female driver that drove her home the other week. She still remembered her clearly. Driver Jimin..

 

Driver Jimin: good evening Miss Minjeong :) I've arrived at your pick-up point.

Me: oh gosh sorry didn't expect you to arrive so early

Me: I'll be downstairs asap

Driver Jimin: 😄 take your time, I'll be waiting.

Me: thanks Jimin

Me: :)

 

Oh no, what's with the smiley emoji?! Damn, no delete button. Now you look so obviously happy, Kim Minjeong. And that's creepy of you.

Jimin on the other hand, smiled noticing the late smiley emoji being sent to her. Ah, cute.

 

After around 15 minutes, Minjeong finally showed up at the entrance.

Putting her phone aside, Jimin saw the latter walking to her car.

Once she opened the back seat car door, Jimin greeted her again nicely, "good evening Miss Minjeong,"

"Hi good evening, so sorry for the wait," Minjeong spoke feeling bad all of a sudden.

"No, that's okay no rush," Jimin threw a comforting smile before continuing, "you just gave me a spare time to sip on my coffee drink though, haha"

"O-okay.." Minjeong chuckled shyly.

"Alright, we will be going now."
 

"How's work?" Jimin's question distracted Minjeong's attention from her phone. Just updating my worried mother that I'm on my way home already :)

"Not quite good. I ed up some papers and needed to redo them. And also just finishing some work for next week so I could have the weekends to myself," Minjeong spoke, all of a sudden feeling comfortable to tell about her day to a stranger. A close stranger. She put her phone inside her bag after that.

"Ah, I see.." Jimin smiled while listening to the latter – yea, she could imagine the latter with her pouty lips being all grumpy about it. "but you've been great."

Minjeong, who suddenly got an appreciation, stopped whatever activity she's doing at that moment, "pardon?"

Again, Jimin chuckled. "Nah, I was just saying you've been great. And it's awesome of you the way you didn't want to postpone the work," she took a quick glance at Minjeong from the rear mirror. "I'm just the type of person who likes to postpone things until it's near the deadline haha"

Minjeong blushed. She nervously grabbed her phone again to keep herself busy. No wonder you're still here randomly taking Grab orders instead of having a steady job working in a company, Minjeong thought when a small smile slipped out on her lips.

As the atmosphere seemed to be more relaxing than their first meeting, the two of them spent the rest of the journey chit-chatting talking about random things.

 

"We're here, Miss Minjeong," Jimin spoke, breaking the comfortable silence.

"You can just call me Minjeong, that's fine," Minjeong shyly said. "And anyway, thanks so much for driving me safely," she continued and grabbed her handbag before getting out of the car. Jimin on the other hand lowered down the passenger seat window to greet her client, "it's my job," she jokingly said. "Hope to see you next time, Minjeong." 

"Yes, good night Jimin, t-take care"

"Thank you and you too, Minjeong." Jimin smiled and waited until the latter went inside the apartment building.

When she's being so sweet, I just can't help but stutter embarrassingly! ㅠㅠ – Minjeong.

 

--

Another day Minjeong encountered a stay back working at the office. Her colleague in the same division as her was on early leave that day due to urgency with his mom being hospitalized, resulting in all the work to be passed on to her to be done.

"I'm so sorry, Minjeong, I promise I'll make it up to you next time.." Dean, the said colleague, spoke. Guilty was visible on his face when he informed Minjeong about his sudden leave.

"No, totally fine with me, Dean! I'm hoping your mom will be okay.."

"Thanks Minjeong, I gotta go now.. see ya!" Then the tall guy dashed out to the door after grabbing his bag.

Fighting Minjeong.. you can do this. 

 

--

"Jeong, about our hangout later, I’ll pick you up at 7 okay?" Giselle, who's currently walking together with Minjeong to their production room after spending their precious lunch break, spoke.

"Ah about that.." Minjeong seemed hesitant. It's been many times for her to reject or cancel their hangouts together due to piling up work and unending meetings. She didn't want to disappoint her best friend again, but seemed like the only option now was to cancel it again. Well, what could she do? If she could divide herself into two, then she would gladly do it just for the sake of everyone's happiness.

"Don't tell me, you're canceling it out again." It's so obvious Giselle was upset. 

Argh, can someone just bury me alive.

Not daring to meet her best friend's eyes, she looked down. "I'm sorry Gi, just a sudden emergency came up, Dean's mom is hospitalized so no one aside from me who's in the same division as him to help.." Minjeong let out a deep sigh.

"...fine."

"Ugh, you're mad" Minjeong looked up with her puppy-eyes look, "ah, I think I shouldn't make a promise if at the end I'll break it again.." before Minjeong could continue it again, Giselle already cut her in, "well, now you know,"

"Giselle~ my pretty best friend, kind, and patient–"

"Stop it Minjeong, I'm so done with all your buls" Giselle rolled her eyes while letting the younger one cling onto her hand as her life depended on it.

Minjeong pouted. "You're so mean–"

"Excuse me girls.. and Minjeong?" In the middle of their little quarrel, Miss Park, being their Boss Bae's secretary, interrupted, making Minjeong in reflex to let go Giselle's hand harshly.

The cursings Giselle muttered under her breath didn't escape Minjeong's sharp hearing. She mouthed a sorry after a quick glance at the latter.

"Oh yes, how can I help, Miss Park?" Minjeong spoke for both of them.

"Ey, it's still…" the tall woman who's familiar with the name of Joy, took a glance at her watch before continuing, "10 minutes until the break is over."

"Ah sorry Joy unnie, hehe" Minjeong awkwardly scratched her not-so-itchy head. "So what's the matter?"

"Yeah, just a heads up that Boss Bae wants you to be in her office room later at 3 pm."

"Do you perhaps know what it is all about?"

Joy shook her head, "have no idea Jeong, sorry"

"Ah okay then. Sure, I'll be there. Thanks for the info, Joy unnie."

"Okay then girls, talk to you guys later."

"Bye unnie" the two juniors bid goodbye to their senior in unison.

"Ah, Gi… what to do now.."

"Uhh.. accept fate?" Giselle chuckled, teasing her small friend, "but well, sorry Jeong, I can only help to pray for you to be out of that scary room safe and sound" Giselle continued again, feeling sorry for her friend also. They knew most of those people who were called to Boss Bae's room, they're mostly in trouble. Small chance to get out of that room with a good result.

Mom, if I'm being fired… I'm sorry for being a disappointment. 

 

--

The digital clock hanging on the wall was showing 15.10 already and there's still no sign of Miss Park calling her name. 

Damn, I'm a nervous wreck. What could the meeting possibly be about? Minjeong wondered.

"Miss Kim Minjeong," Joy called, distracting the latter from her clouded mind. "You can come in now"

"Oh o-okay Miss Park," Minjeong stood up, "thank you"

But before the smaller girl walked away, Joy held Minjeong's hand and whispered, "fighting Minjeong, Boss Bae is currently not in a good mood." And stared with pity. 

Oh gosh, here we go.

Minjeong nodded and sighed heavily.
 

After hearing the word "come in" Minjeong opened the door slowly and she was greeted by the cold air from the air conditioner in that room.

She didn't know whether it was just the temperature was really cold or just the heavy atmosphere she's in that's so nerve-racking. She wished it's not the latter.

"Hello Miss Bae," Minjeong walked closer and bowed.

"Oh hello, you can take a seat, I'm just finishing something," the woman who goes by the name Bae Irene took a quick glance and gave a small nod at her before continuing typing on her keyboard.

"Sure, thank you, Miss Bae." Damn, she really looks so unfriendly today.

What could it possibly be about? Did I do something wrong? Did I miss a proposal? Am I gonna be fired–

Too nervous being drowned in her what-ifs and any possible reasons she's being called there, Minjeong didn't notice her Boss Bae was already taking a seat in front of her.

"Hello Minjeong,"

"Oh y-yes sorry Miss Bae," awkwardly dismissing her random thoughts, she put her attention back to the older woman.

"Alright, I'm just gonna be straight to the point, okay?" Taking a quick glance, the older of the two saw the younger nodded her head. It didn't escape from her notice about her fidgety hands also. "I just got some information from Mr. Han and your current colleagues that you keep making mistakes about the project you're working on,"

Minjeong on the other hand was too surprised to respond. She didn't expect that it could actually reach their boss about it. Well, it’s just small issues and fixed immediately? And not to mention, some of them aren’t meant to be my work to do. And I was just asked to help– 

"In that case, you'll be unassigned from his team. So please finish any pending by next week and meet me after that."

Wait, what? Does it mean I'm being fired? Wtf did you tell honestly Mr. Han? And also the others?! After all this time my hard work to help them with their tasks. Damn, so this is how it feels to be stabbed from behind.

Oh gosh, now I don't really know what to say.. but should I reconfirm again? But Boss Bae is not in a good mood. I'd be screamed at instead.

It's so hard for Minjeong to wrap her boss' words around her head until no words come out from . 

 

Waking her up from her deep thoughts, Irene, not receiving any responses from the younger, decided to dismiss, "alright, if you don't have any questions, you can go back now."

She wanted to ask, but her coward-self just chose not to do it. She politely bowed and left the room dejectedly.

I guess I'm really fired.

 

--

Mommy's calling

Looking at the phone screen, Minjeong let out a deep sigh. She decided to pick up after the second ring.

"Mom?"

"Hello sweetheart, still busy working?"

"Um yeah, kinda mom. What's up?"

"Ah sorry for calling then.."

"Nah all good, I can manage, just currently resting mom,"

"Okay, just don't forget to take a break, and drink water! I hope you're not overworking yourself too hard, honey"

Oh gosh, I would need to start looking for a job replacement.

Without her knowing, her mother on the other line heard her heavy sigh.

"You're having a hard time, aren't you?"

"Nah I'm doing well mom, don't worry about me,"

"Alright, you know I'm always here for you if there’s anything and will always support you with whatever you're doing, sweetheart"

"Yes mom, thank you for that,"

"Okay I guess I'm taking too much of your time now, just want to let you know that I'm cooking your favorite dishes again, hope to see you eat it"

"I'll try to go home on time today, if not please don't wait for me,"

"Alright sweetheart, fighting! Mommy loves you and Ningie said she misses you too ㅋㅋㅋ"

"Ah that brat, I know she just wants something from me! Haha alright mom, bye.. me love you and Ningie too"

Cheer up, Minjeong..

 

--

"Hey Jeong, how's the meeting?" Giselle approached her best friend's table after finishing her work. They're in different divisions so they don't meet often during the busy hours unless it's on a lunch break or at the end of the business hours. And it's always Giselle who will approach the younger’s desk first knowing the latter had more work and tasks to do than her.

"Aeri….."

Not in a span of two seconds, Minjeong had already burst out crying. Giselle who saw this was surprised and immediately pulled the nearest chair and engulfed the younger in a big hug.

It didn't go well? Damn, I’m sure it’s all about Mr. Han. I'll make sure you pay for what you did, Mr. Han.

"That's okay.. just let it out. I'm here, I'm here..'' full of love, she rubbed Minjeong's back for comfort and sometimes brushed her hair gently.

She didn't know what's going on, but she believed her best friend could have survived knowing she worked really hard all this time – with the proofs of her often skipping lunch and mostly finishing late just to finish not-supposed-to-be her work just for the sake of her team and also mostly had no problem working under pressure. She knew her best friend's capability and her value. If not, there's no way she would bring her to work in this company. Yeah, she's the one who recommended Minjeong to work there. And she easily passed the entrance tests also.

After a good amount of crying, Winter finally spoke, "she said I'll be unassigned from Mr. Han's team by next week and to meet her again after that.."

It was silent. Giselle badly wanted to ask, confirming whether it's the end for her or not, however, it seemed like sprinkling salt on your wound. She didn't want to do that unless the younger one speak it herself.

"She wanted me to finish all my tasks before it"

"Did she say anything further?"

Minjeong shook her head weakly. 

"You didn't ask her, did you?" Giselle carefully asked.

Again Minjeong pouted and shook her head.

Giselle let out a sigh, "you should stop being a coward and ask instead."

"Nah, she's not in a good mood. I think it's much safer for me to stay quiet."

"Fine, your excuse is acceptable.. but still Minjeong, you deserve an explanation."

"I don't know Gi," a desperate sigh escaped from her lips.

"Hey hey, you've done a great job, okay? We, everyone, know that we can’t predict Boss Bae.. I'm having an instinct that it will be something good. So let's just wait and see what it will be about.." She wiped her best friend's tears and cupped her face. "I’m sure my bestie is gonna be fine"

 

--

The time was showing at almost half-past nine and Minjeong was found walking on the street on the way to her home.

Although she felt a little bit better with Giselle's assurance, still there's a heavy feeling around her heart telling her it might be bad. And the last thing she wanted was to make her mom and sister sad.

Walking while kicking a random rock once in a while, she took a deep breath every time. The night was colder than usual, but she found it relaxing with the wind blowing through her thin body.

She canceled her dinner with her mom knowing it might only make the older woman more worried seeing her puffy eyes coming home from work.

"Being an adult is surely hard.." she let out a deep sigh.

Until the familiar black Mazda stopped beside her and got the car window lowered down, "Minjeong?"

Jimin..?

"J-Jimin?"

"Hey, yes it's me"

"Hop inside, I'll drive you home"

"Ah no thank you, Jimin. I'll just walk."

"Sorry, but no, I insist, it's not safe to be walking alone around here.. especially this late," Jimin said with a worried look.

No other choice, Minjeong agreed.

But after one step closer to the front door, she hesitated. She's not taking order now, but I don't want her to see my ugly face by sitting in front after being a dramatic crying mess, but sitting at the back seat will also be rude for her–

"Just whatever makes you comfortable, though" Jimin quickly spoke, knowing the latter was having a hard time.

Minjeong smiled and chose the back seat door. She really appreciated the consideration. Such a gentlewoman.

"Thank you, Jimin."

 

--

The atmosphere was kinda heavy. Jimin knew very well that the younger girl wasn't in a good mood. With her sharp eyes, she noticed how the usual captivating eyes were now puffy as it seemed like had been producing tears for the past hours. And starting a conversation now wouldn't be good, Jimin thought.

She decided to turn on the radio as usual and searched for calming and enjoyable songs. She didn't say anything after that.

Minjeong thought, usually people would be questioning her why she was out there alone crying in the cold night but she got nothing from the latter. It's a relief yet at the same time a disappointment. A disappointment? Am I expecting something?

After multiple glances at the latter, couldn't stop her worry, Jimin decided to start a conversation. An awkward one to be exact. "D-do you want some tissues?"

Why am I the one stuttering? Jimin mentally chuckled at herself.

"No thank you, Jimin."

"Ah okay.." 

Then silence filled up the atmosphere again. Jimin gave up. She thought the younger woman needed some time alone. With the latter already allowing her to take her home she's already thankful enough. At least she would be going home safely.

"Jimin, can you drop me off at the park?"

With the sudden request, Jimin took a glance at the rear mirror, "..park?"

She saw Minjeong nodding her head.

"Umm.. fine, I'll bring you there."

Turning the steering wheel to the opposite way to Minjeong's house, Jimin brought the latter to a nearby park.

"Okay, we're here now." 

"Ah sorry, I was spacing out.." then Minjeong let out a deep sigh. "Thanks so much, Jimin." 

And before Minjeong pulled out the door handle, Jimin's words froze her, "but.. can I be a companion for you?"

 

--

Here they're now sitting at the park with the time almost hit 10 pm. Minjeong already told her mom that she's working overtime again so would be coming home late as usual. After some debates and disagreements, her mom finally let go of her. Still though, the guilty feeling lingered in her heart.

"I-I'm sorry, Minjeong.. I didn't mean to invade your space–"

"No, that's okay Jimin, I really appreciate your intention to keep me company," although, with messy thoughts in her brain, she still smiled. A genuine this time.

"I promise I will just stay quiet.. and maybe if you need someone to be your ears, I can also do that for you. Just tell me if you need anything."

Seeing the awkward behavior of the driver beside her, Minjeong chuckled while observing the latter. 

Why are you so kind Jimin.. we barely know each other aside from being driving buddies.

Staring at the night sky, Minjeong was once again reminded of the cause of her gloomy mood. She lost count of how many sighs escaped from her lips. But this time, just her mood feeling all too down that she felt like crying again.

Jimin noticed the quivering lips she bit. Being aware of probably because she's there, the younger seemed hesitant to let out her cries.

"Although I like your smile so much better, you know you can cry now.. I won't look"

"J-Jimin.."

After taking a glance at the older girl, Minjeong mumbled, "...can you give me a hug, Jimin?"

With a comforting smile and eyes staring softly, Jimin nodded and widened her arms to welcome the latter into her embrace.

While staring at the beautiful moon, Jimin held the younger close to her so dearly.

Whatever issues you're facing now, I hope you will be alright, Minjeong..

 

-- 

It was finally the 5th day of the week – the day to meet her boss again for confirmation about her future fate in this company. She had finished everything to leave the team for good. Hoping there won't be any emails with the subject 'attention: Kim Minjeong' being sent to the team once I leave, Minjeong thought.

With a heavy heart, she had packed all her stuff and just tomorrow was ready to probably bring it all back home. I'm still not yet ready honestly. I'll miss this company that has been taking care of and treating me well since the time I was employed – aside from my current team maybe? 

When she's busy staring into the void – silently also waiting for the digital clock to strike at 3 pm, she was woken up by the sound of an incoming message from her phone.

 

+82-xxx-xxx-xxx

 

Hi Minjeong

 

Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Who on earth is this? And how did they get my number? Was about to ignore assuming it’s just one of those pranksters, more texts popped out.

 

This is Jimin

Sorry, I got your number from the Grab app.

 

Above Minjeong's head was probably showing some imaginative question marks now. What? But not gonna lie though, she's happy the latter texted her...first.

 

Oh hey Jimin :)

And that's okay!

 

Really? 😅

 

Yep! Not at all 😁

 

Jimin on the other hand was busy screaming internally seeing the cute grinning emoji.

 

Ah okay..   

 

What’s the matter Jimin?
 

Mmm, sorry to take your time, and probably rude of me to ask this to you via message 

But do you want to go with me for a night drive tonight?

 

So for the past five days, Minjeong had been going home late to finish all her pending tasks and there would always be Jimin to drive her home as her Grab driver. Well, a win-win situation for both of them. Minjeong got a safe and familiar driver while Jimin got regular order in return, and also a plus point that it’s a client who she didn’t need to feel awkward to build a conversation with anymore. Well not to mention it, she's just happy that it’s Minjeong and none else. Her VIP client maybe? And with that situation, they got much closer. Who knew Jimin was interested with the younger and probably the one who would fall in love first.

 

It’s just that if you have time and of course, if you don’t mind..

 

The reply was taking longer than the previous replies. Jimin was feeling more anxious. Is it too soon to ask her that? And what if I’m just making her uncomfortable? 
 

If you can’t accept it, don’t hesitate or feel bad to turn down the offer though

No hard feeling with me

 

Hey sorry for the delay

Was just called by my colleague 😅 

And sure, I’m up for it 🤩

 

Really?

Are you serious? 😳

 

Well, I am..

But if you want me to cancel it..

 

Nonono!

Sorry I mean, don’t

 

Haha no worries, I’m also planning to get some fresh air after this..

So I’m glad you asked me :)

 

Ah okay then..

I’ll wait for you at the usual place 

Just hit me up when you’re done 😊

 

Sure, thanks Jimin :)

Please wish me luck

 

No I should be the one to thank you 

Fighting Minjeong! ✊😁

 

Sure Jimin :)

Thank you

 

-- 

“Come in” the voice coming from the inside of her boss’ room was heard. Minjeong nervously opened the door carefully and greeted the older woman.

“Hello Miss Bae,”

“Oh you’re here, please have a seat, Minjeong.” not gonna lie, Minjeong was still a nervous wreck. Like what people said, you can’t predict Boss Bae from her facial expression whether she’s in a good mood, bad mood, or just so so.

And for rarely interacting with her boss, it’s making it harder to guess what’s the latter really up to.

“Thank you, Miss Bae.” Then the two of them sat down.

“Okay, so actually I was about to cancel our meeting today and reschedule it on Monday, but probably you’re already dead curious and wanting to know what’s the next plans, I’m just going to be straight to the point as usual,” Minjeong on the other hand, nervously clasped both of her hands tightly waiting for what her boss was gonna say. She seriously paid attention to every word her boss said.

“You’ll be unassigned from Mr. Han’s team and promoted to be a personal assistant.”

Personal assistant..–what? Personal assistant? Really? So am I not being fired?

“Sorry Miss Bae, but a personal assistant?” seeing the confusion on the younger’s face, Irene wanted to chuckle.

“Yes, I’ve got some reports about your case with Mr. Han.. and also the issues you’re having in your current team. You’ve been doing a great job in maintaining everything and I feel like, with your amazing skills, it will be such a waste if you’re not getting a proper job. So I’m promoting you.”

It still sounded unreal to her ears. “...are you serious Miss Bae? And I’m not being fired?”

Irene chuckled. “Why do you think you’re being fired?”

When being asked such a question, Minjeong looked down. “I-I don’t know Miss Bae, I just thought I still kept making mistakes and didn’t work hard enough..”

“Ah about that.. I know that you’re not only doing your work but also the others’. And that’s one big mistake you got there..” This time Irene looked more serious, “helping others is great, but you can’t always say yes when they have nothing to do. Especially if you still have your own work to do. I’ve monitored Mr. Han’s team and it has happened many times already that some of them are still passing their work to you. I just hope you put yourself first before the others”

Minjeong nodded and muttered a small apology.

“Alright Minjeong, regarding your new job, you’ll be promoted to be the new CMO’s personal assistant. If you’re wondering why yourself, then it’s because I’ve been monitoring some of the candidates and I feel like you’re the right one to be in this job. And it’s also a personal request from the new CMO herself. I hope you will maintain your current skills and work harder for that.”

Minjeong could only stay silent listening to her boss’ explanation. Oh gosh, too much information.. and my mind is about to go haywire. 

“You will be meeting your boss on Monday too. So please meet me again on Monday at 9 am”

Putting her full attention on the older woman, Minjeong mentally took notes of whatever Irene said to her.

“If you don’t have any more questions, you’re dismissed.”

“Alright t-thank you so much Miss Bae..” after bowing and leaving the room, she couldn’t hide her excitement so bad. The first thing that appeared in her mind was Giselle’s name.

 

-- 

When Minjeong left the room with a happy smile plastered on her face, everyone who saw it was amazed. She was probably one of those lucky people to get out from that scary room safely plus with a bright aura around her. 

“Aeri!” jogging to the latter’s cubicle, Minjeong joined the Japanese girl on her desk – invading her seat.

The victim grunted in annoyance, “aigoo, can you not? Go grab a chair!”

“Oh my God Aeri, you should guess what Boss Bae told me earlier..” Being too happy, she didn’t hesitate to hug her best friend from the side and clung onto her arm; once in a while making the Japanese girl wiggle in inconvenience for not being able to type on her keyboard comfortably.

“What? Tell me tell me.. You look so happy about it, so it’s a good result right?”

Minjeong detached herself and smiled widely while nodding her head excitedly.

And so Minjeong spent the rest of her working hours that day, disturbing Giselle while telling the latter about her new job and also a certain someone that had been invading her mind also for the past few days.

 

-- 

Jimin

 

Jiminnnnnnn 

I’ve finished for the dayyyy

 

Oh really?

Wait, you’re not drunk, are you?

 

Nonono sorry I was just too happy to text you that way 😆

 

Oh you scared me 😄

Glad to hear that! So ready for a night drive? 

 

Yes yes please 

And also maybe you will be hearing a long story from me too

 

Sure sure can’t wait to hear that!

I’m on my way princess~

 

Realizing what she had sent, Jimin cursed mentally. She immediately typed another apology for her reckless typing.

 

Minjeong I’m so sorry, please ignore my last message..

I didn’t mean to say it

Umm it was just my autocorrect

Please ignore it 😩

 

Minjeong wasn’t stupid to believe it was an auto-correct. But seeing Jimin panicked about it, she chuckled. The latter was just too cute when she’s panicking. Should I ? lol

 

Hahaha chill Jimin

I don’t mind it either if you really meant it 😛

Anyway, take care on your way here!

 

*read*
 

Not getting any more replies from the older girl, Minjeong giggled – knowing probably the latter was too embarrassed to reply or afraid to say something stupid again and decided to leave it on read status.

 

-- 

“Giselle, she’s here already”

“Oh really? Alright then enjoy your date bestie,”

“What the hell are you saying.. It’s not a date.” Minjeong slapped the latter’s arm jokingly while trying to maintain a smile from escaping. “You sure you don’t want to go with us?” She changed the topic.

“Nah, don’t wanna be the third wheel~”

“Ish, stop that will you?”

Giselle chuckled, “anyway, once again congrats bestie, I’m really happy about your new job, let’s hang out later! And your treat!” she hugged her best friend once again, “enjoy your date as well Minjeongie” jokingly Giselle pushed the younger away before she could go berserk on her.

 

Noticing the familiar black Mazda car, she approached the car and knocked on the car window. Once it’s lowered down, Minjeong jokingly said, “with Driver Jimin?”

Jimin laughed. How this really reminded her of their first meeting.

“And with Miss Minjeong?” She played along.

Getting a nod from the latter, Jimin smiled and asked her to sit on the passenger seat.

“As you look so happy today, you’ll be a VIP client for the day,” Jimin spoke as she watched the younger still busy trying to lock the seat belt hook.

Sensing trouble, Jimin immediately jumped in to help, “sorry, may I?”

Minjeong looked up and stared confusedly. After knowing what Jimin meant, she immediately nodded – although couldn’t lie her heart started beating faster at the close proximity.

Oh my, her fresh body fragrance.. 

She smells so nice..

The same smell when I got to hug her the other night.

Until the sound ‘click’ woke her up from her small daydream, “...done.” Jimin leaned away and smiled at her.

What the hell Kim Minjeong..

“T-thank you,” looking anywhere but Jimin, Minjeong spoke.

Jimin smiled, noticing the younger was blushing.
 

After some time spent together going around the city and also visiting some unique places such as a night museum and also a night aquarium, the two of them ended up in a restaurant to have something for dinner.

“Jimin, please have whatever you want, it will be on me today.” Minjeong still couldn’t hide her excitement and a wide smile was still plastered on her face.

“Eh?”

“Yes, don’t worry, I’m just too happy today I guess,” Minjeong chuckled and smiled, reminiscing about her convo with her boss earlier today about the promotion she got.

“Ah okay, sure! Someone’s indeed in a good mood today” Jimin let out a supportive smile.

“You have no idea! I’ve told you you’re about to listen to my long- story, right? So prepare your ears..” 

Ah, don’t be too cute, please.. I might do something stupid again later. Jimin mentally screamed seeing the overflowing cuteness radiating from the younger girl.

“Finally! Your hard work paid off well.. I’m so happy for you, Minjeong.” Jimin gave her the most sincere and sweetest smile ever.

Minjeong on the other hand, again for the nth time that night blushed due to the sweet smiles Jimin gave. Just her smiles could make her relax and feel calm.

I’m so in love with you and your gentleness, Jimin. Such a sweet person you are. 

But to think about her new job again, being a personal assistant could mean, she would need to have more flexible time to follow her boss’ schedules and follow her boss everywhere she goes. And also that means she would no longer be able to meet Jimin so often again in person.

How fate . Whenever there’s something good to achieve, there must be something to be sacrificed.

“But that means, we will rarely see each other..” Minjeong being the sad puppy that she was, looked down and played with her fingers on the table.

I told you not to be too cute, Jimin internally complained.

“I honestly don’t know what to say.. Although I’m sad about it too, you see, we only see each other late at night, when you’re staying late because of work. Of course, it’s not good for your health. And I wish you would have a more normal working time other than doing overtime and staying late because of work. Maybe we can hang out some other time when you’re not busy.”

Sensing not getting any response from the younger, Jimin continued, “and also.. I’ve resigned from my job as a Grab driver.”

This snapped Minjeong from her thought, “you what?”

“Resigned. For the past weeks, we have spent the nighttime together telling each other’s days. And I learned a lot from you about life and about time that should have been spent more wisely,”

“And I think this is finally the time for me to have a proper life – being more productive during the day by getting a steady job and maybe a proper sleep at night instead of wasting more time doing nothing at day and not effectively taking orders at night which is a riskier job to do.”

“But don’t worry, I promise we will have more time to spend together. I will work harder on that.”

“Jimin..”

“Hey hey, you’re not going to cry right?” Jimin, who sensed the younger was about to cry, panicked.

“I-I don’t know.. I mean I’m still too shocked about everything that happens today.” Minjeong blinked multiple times to avoid her tears from escaping. “And also, you literally only listened to my whines and complaints every night, how did they motivate you?”

Jimin chuckled, “I don’t know, I just found you amazing and you just motivated me somehow” For Minjeong she might find it as a joke, but deep down inside Jimin’s heart, she’s sincere about it though.

“Whatever Jimin.”

“Anyway, I have something to say, Minjeong,” Jimin took a deep breath after getting the younger’s attention, “it might be too soon, but I just want to be straight to the point.. I enjoyed the times when we’re together.. Can I court you?” she put out her hand to the latter – silently asking for her hand to hold if she allowed her.

Couldn’t describe much anymore about what she’s feeling inside aside from being too shocked and stunned by Jimin’s sudden question, she got her jaw dropped.

“J-Jimin, are you serious?”

Jimin nervously nodded, “sorry I didn't prepare anything, and also I’m just not too good with words. I hope you see my sincerity in it..”

“...Minjeong?”

Being snapped back from her deep thoughts, Minjeong shook her head to get her focus back. “Sorry, I was spacing out..”

Looking at the smaller girl with expectations, Jimin beamed in happiness after getting a nod in return and also a hand that accepted her hold. “Sure, Jimin” Minjeong shyly spoke while avoiding eye contact with the older girl. Her cheeks were already turning colors in crimson red.

Cute…
 

-- 

It was finally Monday – the day Minjeong would get her future changed. Truth to be told, she’s still not 100% relieved about it and instead, feeling ten times more nervous knowing she still had no idea who would be her new boss. Imagine, getting to work and spending almost 24 hrs with someone who she’s not comfortable with, she would find herself more suffering instead. And possibly would resign from her job.

She was nervously waiting for Miss Park’s call – sitting at the usual chair she had been occupying for the past few days. Her fidgety hands were starting to get sweaty. Calm down Minjeong, everything will be alright. You will be fine.

As if fate had got enough to see her suffering from waiting, Miss Park called Minjeong and asked her to come inside to their Boss Bae’s room. As usual, Joy would be giving a small fist pump to the smaller girl and mouthed, “fighting Minjeong!” which is accepted by the younger with still nervousness.

 

“Come in,” once she heard her boss already ask her to come in, Minjeong twisted the doorknob slowly and went inside. Getting more familiar with the cold atmosphere, Minjeong nervously greeted her boss – distracting the older woman from her computer.

“H-hello Miss Bae,”

“Hello Minjeong, please have a seat,” Irene replied from her desk.

“Thank you, Miss Bae.” 

It’s only the two of them in the room yet. She mentally questioned herself, where’s her later-to-be-her boss? She’s already dead curious how her new boss would look like.

While still silently praying for a kind person to be her boss, she saw her Boss Bae get a call and pick it up to answer it, she silently eavesdropped on her conversation, “Yes Joy? She’s here already? Alright just her here.. Yes, sure. Alright thanks, Joy” then she put back the phone handle. 

Standing up from her seat, Irene went closer to the sofa area where Minjeong was sitting and notified the younger that her soon-to-be boss was currently on her way.

Minjeong hurriedly stood up as well and waited. When she was finally able to hear some small ruckus outside, just exactly in front of the door to her Boss Bae’s room, her heart began ten times thumping faster and probably louder due to nervousness she’s currently experiencing. 

Oh my.. I feel like fainting.

Secretary Park opened the door and she could finally see a glimpse of her new boss. She looks familiar..

Until the two of them were fully inside the room, Minjeong froze in her spot.

“J-Jimin..” Minjeong muttered under her breath – not believing what her eyes were seeing of who’s currently standing in front of her. She thought they might be playing tricks on her.

“Alright Minjeong, this is Yu Jimin who will be the new CMO and also a boss for you to work with as her personal assistant,” Irene spoke, snapping Minjeong out from her shock.

Meeting eye contact with the younger girl, Jimin on the other hand threw her usual gentle smile and greeted the latter first, “Hello Miss Minjeong, we meet again..”