Vin Chaud

Vin Chaud

The bar was quite full that night, with many couples celebrating Christmas together, or some singles who were hoping to get a date for the night. People were laughing, smiling, sending flirty wink across the table, and radiating a good vibe all over the room.

But among those people, there was a man who gloomily sipped his nth glass of whiskey. His whole face was flushed red, and his eyes were damp. He was pouting the whole time he was there, sniffling and wiping his eyes with his long sleeves every once in a while. In the middle of that joyful atmosphere, Kim Wonshik really was like a dead decoration lamp in the middle of an overly fancy Christmas tree.

“Are you drinking your sadness away, or are you just very weak with alcohol?” asked another man who just effortlessly slipped to the seat right next to the sniffling Wonshik. Wonshik turned to look at the man who talked to him, and he could clearly see how that man was there to have fun like the rest of the people.

“A bit of both,” murmured Wonshik as he turned away, scooting a bit further from that stranger.

“Then don’t drink that boring stuff. Let me buy you a cocktail,” said the stranger with a sweet smile. Wonshik hesitantly looked at him again, trying to make an assessment with his muddled brain. Whether it’s the alcohol taking over, or because he honestly thought that the stranger was gorgeous enough to not be a bad guy, he nodded.

The stranger beamed, and he quickly ordered something. Not long after, two glasses of drinks came out. It seemed to be warm, judging from how the soft steam rising from the red-brown liquid inside. The red berries, orange slices, and cinnamon stick made it look fancy, a good fit for Christmas. The stranger took his glass and raised it for a toast, and Wonshik dazedly did the same.

“It’s sweet and warm,” commented Wonshik after he had a sip. He couldn’t help but smile a little, feeling like his sadness had been reduced even for just a bit.

“So, who died?” asked the stranger, opening a conversation. “You look young, and you seem to dress nicely for a date, so I think the only logical reason why you looked gloomy on such a merry night is because someone had just died tonight.”

Wonshik pursed his lips, pondering whether or not he should discuss it with a complete stranger. After all, he wasn’t wrong—Wonshik was dressing up for a date, before that happened. He glanced again at the stranger, who just waited patiently with a small smile on his lips. Again, Wonshik didn’t know whether it was the alcohol talking or he really thought that the stranger was gorgeous enough to be trusted, but he opened his mouth and talked.

“No one died. I just… got dumped,” said Wonshik slowly. The stranger sent him a pitiful look, and Wonshik took another sip of that warm drink to hold back another wave of tears threatening to fall.

“Ah, so the love died. I see why you’re sad,” said the stranger. Wonshik chuckled and shook his head.

“Maybe it’s never there to begin with, I don’t know. We’d only been together for less than a year,” said Wonshik bitterly. “I just don’t understand why it has to be today.”

“Maybe it’s better to end it today than later, before all the good memories have been stained,” said the stranger. Wonshik frowned as he stared at the stranger, not liking what he had just said. Wouldn’t it be better if their relationship never ended, or never started to begin with? After having a taste of how sweet and warm a romance could be, Wonshik found it hard to move on from the people he once dated and loved.

“Have you ever been dumped on such a merry day? Do you know how awful it feels?” replied Wonshik, annoyed. The stranger shrugged and tilted his head nonchalantly.

“I came here after ending a very long and dragged-out relationship I had. If you’re not moping here first, you’d probably find me crying in this bar and come over to buy me a drink instead of the other way around,” said the stranger. Wonshik only glared at him, not believing what he just said, but the stranger looked completely unbothered.

“Well, anyway… Seeing how you’re all dressed up for a date, why don’t you just try to find one rather than crying here alone? It’s a waste of a good face and jolly atmosphere, I think,” said the stranger. Wonshik snorted.

“Look who’s talking. Didn’t you say you’ve just ended your own relationship? Rather than talking to such a gloomy guy, why don’t you pick up someone good-looking and cheerful from this crowded bar?” bit Wonshik back.

“But I’m picking you up, though?” said the stranger as he showed a playful smile to Wonshik. “Or am I too ugly for your taste?”

Heat rose to Wonshik’s face, and he just hurriedly gulped more of his drink. ‘It’s just the alcohol,’ Wonshik told himself, ‘I’m flushing and tipsy because of the alcohol.’

“Just kidding,” said the stranger with a wide smile, making Wonshik’s heartbeat race even faster. “But I’m serious about how I came here after a breakup, and that you look too good to be left crying alone.”

Wonshik really didn’t know what to reply, so he simply didn’t and continued to sip his drink. The stranger didn’t force him to talk any further either, enjoying his drink in silence while occasionally glancing and smiling at Wonshik.

When their glasses were finally empty, the stranger said, “You should go home and rest. It seems that you’ve drunk too much.”

“Do I?” asked Wonshik dazedly as he touched both of his cheeks. He did feel warm, but he wasn’t sure that it was from all the alcohol he drank.

Suddenly, he felt cold hands touching his cheeks, slipping easily under his palms. The stranger stared deeply at him as he held Wonshik’s cheeks, and Wonshik swore that his body temperature rose higher.

“Yeah, you’re completely drunk. Let’s call a cab for you. I’ll see you out,” replied the stranger.

After paying their bills, the two of them stepped out from the bar and walked to the nearest main road. Wonshik tripped on a small crack on the road, and he almost fell over if the stranger didn’t hold him up. Afterwards, wordlessly, the stranger simply held Wonshik’s hand as they walked. His hand was cold but Wonshik didn’t mind that. Funnily enough, Wonshik felt glad that he was so drunk his whole body turned into a gigantic warmer. That way, he could warm up that stranger’s hand.

They managed to hail a cab once they reached the main road, and the stranger let Wonshik take it first.

“It’s time for us to separate ways, but I don’t even know your name yet,” said Wonshik as he stood still after opening the cab’s door. The stranger smiled, and then giggled.

“Indeed. I don’t know your name either,” said the stranger. “My parents taught me to be cautious with strangers, so let’s just exchange our aliases. I’m Leo. What’s yours?”

Wonshik blanked for a few seconds, but then his brain provided him with a name he used many years ago when he went as his school’s representative for a cypher contest.

“Ravi,” said Wonshik, “It means ‘to enchant’.”

“Well, then, Ravi… If you don’t have any plans for New Year’s Eve, would you like to meet again in that bar?” asked Leo. Wonshik nodded right away with a smile, and Leo smiled widely in return.

Then, before Wonshik realized what happened, Leo had stepped closer and placed a soft peck on Wonshik’s reddening cheek. Wonshik could only stare dazedly at Leo while his brain tried its best to process what had just happened.

“I’ll look forward to it,” said Leo with a playful smile.

Just like that, Leo walked away with the widest and brightest smile he had that night. He waved at Wonshik before hailing another cab and hopped inside without looking back anymore.

“Are you going to get in or not?” asked the driver, and Wonshik hurriedly stepped inside while apologizing.

The feeling of Leo’s cold lips on his warm cheek left a tingling sensation on that spot, and Wonshik couldn’t stop smiling like an idiot. He came to that bar with a broken heart, but somehow he went home feeling all warm and sweet, just like the drink Leo brought for him.

‘New Year’s Eve… I can’t wait.’

The sparkling lights decorating the streets had somewhat become brighter and more beautiful.