Finals

Just Like the First Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When I stirred in my sleep a while ago in dawn, I already had a hard time going back to sleep. Maybe it's because of the warm, humid air coming from the open window in my room, or maybe because even after several weeks, I'm still not used to the other side of the bed being this cold.

I first cracked my knuckles before stretching my arms as I turned around in the bed. Now that the bed has more space, I got to toss and turn as I stretch. But it's not like I'm grateful that the bed has gotten wider now. I'm definitely not grateful.

The digital wall clock hanging up by the door shows that it's currently 5:30 am. It's still a little early but I decided to get up already. I wore my red fluffy indoor slippers and went straight to my walk-in closet to prepare my attire for later.

Present in the room was a variety of nice clothes that I can choose from, but these weren’t what I had in mind. I went straight to the back of the walk-in closet, to my old box where I keep my old clothes. It was kinda dusty, given the time that this was stocked here and left untouched. I carefully opened it using only some of my fingers to avoid getting my whole hand dirty.

Inside was a pile of my old clothes, the ones that were my favorite and the ones I would always wear back when I was in college. There it is. I took the green flannel in the corner of the box and held it up to level with my face to inspect it. I smiled as I remember that I used to wear this to pair with almost every shirt I wore when I was in the university.

With the piece of clothing in my hand, I went back to the more well-lit area of my walk-in closet and shrug the dust it collected off of it. It still looks the same. I was actually surprised that it was clean and smelt the same. Smells like my favorite scent in the whole wide universe.

Going back to my dark room, where only the light of the moon coming in from my window gives light, I got a hanger and used it to hang the green flannel along with the pants and shirt that I'll wear later that I prepared last night. I walked near my bed, but not without stumbling over the empty beer bottles I forgot to clean up last night. I swiftly picked them up one by one and looked at them before closing my eyes, regretting.

"Sorry, I drank a little too much last night," I whispered.

Since I forgot to empty my garbage bin the other day and there was no more space available for the piece of trash that I was holding, instead of throwing them into the bin, I went to the shelf by the door and neatly arranged them in a line on one of the racks, mentally taking a reminder to throw them.

I went to my bed and sat on its edge before looking back up at the clock once again. Quarter to six. I laid my back down on the mattress and stared at the ceiling. If today was just like any other day, I would’ve quickly fallen back to sleep. Just when I'll set my alarm to wake me up every day at 6 am but after snoozing it, without me even realizing, I'm already back to dreaming. But no, not today.

Today is a very special day. Today is where we will meet again. I can’t wait to see him, to hug him, and to kiss him again after a long time of not seeing each other. It's not like we wanted to be away from each other. It was just the right thing to do.

After reminiscing the past and maybe daydreaming a bit of the future that's ahead of us all, I finally went to the shower and took a bath. I wore my clothes, put my backpack filled with important stuff inside of it on my shoulder, and went outside of my apartment unit, not bothering to lock it anymore.

Walking down the familiar street I've always walked on since I was a teen, for the first time ever in my life, I felt delighted seeing and feeling to be in such a busy street.

It was full of people, left and right, trying to choose from the different products, ranging from food to clothes to jewels, that are displayed all around the area, even covering half of the pathway and leaving a little space for passersby to walk on.

Usually, I feel all constricted, sweaty, and sticky while passing through this lively area, but today's the only exception I'll make. It’s good to see all the familiar faces of the vendors I grew up seeing showing all smiles here today.

I went up to my favorite bread vendor, Mr. Hwang, and greeted him with a small wave and a smile, I cannot say it was really that big though, but it was genuine, I'm sure.

The kind vendor, who was an adult about my age that needed to stop going to school to help with their family business, smiled back at me. He was the embodiment of warmth, like entering a sauna where the lovely heat gently embraces you.

"I'm guessing you'll get your usual strawberry croissant?" He asked me while we acted like he was guessing, when in fact I know that he already knows what I was about to get.

"Yeah. I'll get two. How much is it again? Sorry, it’s been a month or two since I last bought one so maybe your prices have already changed." I asked as scurried to open my bag, trying to look for my wallet.

My hands that were clumsily rummaging through my bag to find that damned wallet that I can’t seem to find were suddenly stopped by Mr. Hwang. His action made me confused resulting in me looking at him with a confused expression, silently trying to question his actions.

Mr. Hwang then handed me my order and handed me three more. He then charismat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter