for mobile users

The Night Before
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The night is a quiet one. Joohyun sits in her chair alone, looking outside as the view stretches from the bottom of her feet to the far end. At the topmost suite room of the hotel, one is at a height that overlooks every building in the city, the glowing streets that line up the landscape and the lit windows on every wall. If they listen closely, they could even hear the distant sounds of tires screeching against the road, the sounds of the city that eventually continue the heat to the night.

 

And she listens to her heartbeat, quiet yet restless like the way she is staring at the city in this massive room all by herself. The walls are soundproof but the windows aren't, so the bits of noise became the background music of her thoughts. They are all tangled up like this excerpt of her life, or probably the rest of her life.

 

Tomorrow is going to be a big day. Her best friend, Kang Seulgi — part of her identity, half of her life, all that she loves — is getting married.

 

It is insane how someone could make up so much of your life, especially now that Joohyun thinks about it. She was in every single moment, big and small, like every frame from a movie that seems insignificant by itself but when putting them together, eventually forms a huge part of her.

 

Like how easily she remembers all her perfumes, finding the ones she always uses in the perfume store like it was her usual scent. Or the way she likes her coffee, when she used to get it for her before work, almost forgetting that she herself doesn't drink coffee at all.

 

All these are going to change overnight, and she can't tell if she is ready to accept them at once.

 

After sending Seulgi the text, Joohyun finds herself sitting in front of the french window, looking outside the city view. She feels tiny, like a fairy gliding across the skies watching the city, wondering if anyone — even just one — would ever feel like her.

 

Sending off her best friend to marriage means so many things. No more coffee before work, casual hangouts at weekends, random phone calls at night...those that Joohyun consider the only entertainment in her dull routine. 

 

Nothing will change, unnie. It will just feel like I came back with a new identity. That is probably what Seulgi would say, but Joohyun can already picture what's really going to happen:

Coffee before work ► Married couple getting coffee together

Hangouts at weekend ► Date nights for newlyweds

Random phone calls ► Probably only when they fight and need some venting out

Shopping nights ► Newlyweds shopping for furniture and tile colours

Matching clothes ► Definitely not with a friend now...

 

And so much more. Those that Joohyun used to pride herself being Seulgi's only one, knowing that she doesn't go by these cliches, are going to be the new norm for her wife, her only one on legal terms.

 

It is odd how best friends are never testified with some registration that goes 'you and this person are going to be best friends forever, approved on legal terms until death do you part' when in reality, marriages are more vulnerable than friendships. Marriages rarely make it, but friendships can last longer than that.

 

But if so, why is she jealous of Seungwan?

 

Oh, perhaps she should have mentioned. Joohyun has only one best friend, but Seulgi has more than that.

 

Seungwan is the only one who managed to become Seulgi's wife.

 

There are probably many signs that used to imply her addition to Seulgi's life, that might have foreshadowed what is about to come — when Seulgi starts to have another name that hangs by all the time, when Seungwan saved her in school more than once that gave them more topics to share on, and when the four-man gang turned into five.

 

Joohyun doesn't like odd numbers, because someone is bound to get neglected at some point. Sooyoung and Yerim might have tried their best in engaging more topics to talk about with the oldest member, but even they would have realized Seulgi and Seungwan start to stick together more often, being in their own world.

 

They could talk about the number of butts one person should have, or how many holes does a straw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter