Final

Umbrella Strangers: A Song for You

A/N: Hey there! This is the first time I've written anything Yenjoo related so please bare with me! I hope this OS would make your day or at least be a decent read for you guys. Thank you for taking the time to read this OS. I'm still trying to learn and improve so any comments and/or feedbacks are greatly appreciated. Feel free to follow me on twitter (@burntbraincell) and let me know about your thoughts through there too! CC is also welcomed! This OS is a bit of a surprise for twitter user @officialwakeone - I hope you'll like this one and not too disappointed :) Also I decided to change some minor details and stuff along the way, so I hope you don't mind!

 

CC: https://curiouscat.live/burntbraincell

 

***

 

Screw it. Everything wasn’t going well. The demo you had tried to put out got rejected because one of the engineers thought you plagiarized when really, you were the first one to come up with the song. Your friend (though at this point you’re not too sure whether you still consider them as a friend or not) had turned against you and claimed it as theirs after you had shown them and asked for opinions. After a good scolding, you had left the entertainment building with your head down and feet stomping along the pavement. Childish, you know. But damn, things were really not going well for you.

 

You are usually quite calm and patient when you work. Though sometimes when artists and friends come into your studio, you’d mess around and crack jokes with them. Things usually get chaotic like that.   

 

Writing music was never hard for you because you were so passionate about it. Afterall, music is your life - you love to sing and make your own music. But after various failed auditions, you decided that you were better off being a producer and singing the demos so that other people can also enjoy your songs. And honestly speaking, you’re happy with it, because you really enjoyed working behind the scenes. Plus, it allowed you more time to do something you love while having enough time to spend with your only family member. Writing music didn’t exactly allow you to earn a lot but who knows? Maybe one day someone will sing your song and be successful - letting you have a better reputation and boom! More money for you to spend on your sister.    

 

You were annoyed with the whole demo issue. Maybe a good way to calm yourself down was to go to the convenience store and buy yourself ice cream. Ice cream seems to always help. Oh and maybe you should buy yourself some instant noodles. You haven’t had lunch yet anyway. 

 

***

 

Have you mentioned how much you love convenience store food? The variety they have available, the different choices - you can go on and on about it. Convenience store food was probably what kept you alive at this point since you’ve been busy. Busy enough to have most (if not all) your meals there. At this point, you can say that you probably had tried every single flavor of kimbap they had available. 

 

Sitting down by the window seat, you watched as people on the other side of the glass scurried along their ways, going on about their busy lives. It’s strange, but maybe it’s those random thoughts that one gets when eating instant noodles while staring outside, but you’ve always found something entertaining in watching them. 

 

But that by all means, does not mean you are a creep. Maybe it’s the producer, song-writing side of you? You found yourself enjoying the way you would make up random scenarios and guesses to what those people’s lives would be like. Were they rushing off to meet a friend? A family member? Maybe to the grocery store that had a sale going on? Or who knows, maybe they were rushing off to meet a lover? 

 

Hearing a slight buzz, you look down to see the screen of your phone light up from an unseen text message. Seeing just exactly who messaged you, your eyes widened in horror. Damn it. You need to rush back before you can even make it through half of the noodles. Your boss really wants to make life difficult and at this point, you’re starting to think he hates you.  

 

Sighing a little, you quickly try to slurp the remainder of noodles and you honestly reckon that you should have some sort of recognition for it. Who in the world could finish instant noodles without choking or ending up in hospital within the little time you had? With the noodles all finished and the time that was ticking away, you quickly bowed to the convenience store worker behind the counter and started making your way back.  

 

The whole journey wouldn’t be too much of a problem if it wasn’t for the sudden rain that poured down. The sky must have thought that now was the perfect time to conveniently drown everything and make your life suffer even more. You’re not really the type to curse out loud (consciously) but damn did you want to loudly curse at the sky. As annoyed as you were though, you do recognize that you were in a public space with nowhere to go. People were rushing to find shelter and you could even swear that you saw a few different people rushing into the convenient store you had come out of to avoid the rain and warm up with a snack or a drink. People were standing under shelters and you’d like to think that you were also unlucky that the weather reports were wrong once again. No one probably even remembered to bring an umbrella with them, just like you. 

 

The path ahead of you was not sheltered at all and you were still two streets away from the entertainment building. You could feel another buzz in your pocket indicating another incoming message. Not even three seconds later, another buzz could be felt. Honestly you didn’t even need to check to know that your boss is going to start a manhunt for you if you don’t get back soon. That guy has been threatening to fire you for a while now. Call it a gut feeling, but you swear he’s pretty damn serious this time and honestly if you do get fired you’re not too sure what you could do to earn money. The amount you make gets you just enough for the hospital bills. Your sick sister really needs it and you are not about to see Chaewon suffer even when she’s in the hospital. The poor girl had been sick all her life and you’re not about to give up the chance for her to get better.   

 

‘Damn it. Why the heck is this happening to me now?!’ you mumbled in frustration as you eyed the falling rain in front of you. The rain was heavy enough for you to not be able to run through it and brush it off, but not enough to not be able to see in front of you. How convenient.   

 

Out of the corner of your eye, you could see a figure slowly walking next to you. You haven’t actually noticed them before this. Not even when you were sitting by the window at the convenience store. The figure was dressed in a pair of jeans and some sort of white top. Perhaps a hoodie of some sort? There was a distinct tapping sound of plastic on the floor - which you can only guess was probably caused by the tip of an umbrella hitting against the floor with every step the person took. You don't want to seem creepy if the figure happens to see you looking at them. But hey, you can’t help it. People get mugged or robbed pretty easily these days (not that you have money on you - that’s another issue) so it was natural for you to just…want to see the face of the person who was coming up to you from somewhere behind. However, if the long hair was of any indication, that figure was probably a girl. You tried your hardest to seem nonchalant and looked at the rain while trying your best to sneak another peek out the corner of your eyes. Just for confirmation, you know? But another buzz could be felt coming from the phone in your pocket. It interrupted you once again and cut off all the plans you had.  

 

‘Ah, I’m actually going to be a roast duck if I don’t get back soon…I can’t lose this job or Chaewon…’ you muttered under your breath, a frown on your face as you eyed the rain that didn’t seem to want to stop. 

 

Stop it Yena, you need to stop thinking bad things. Get yourself back into the studio and work things out from there! 

 

There was a soft tap on your left shoulder and you turned around, only to see an angel looking at you.   

 

‘Here, you look like you’ll need it more than me,’ the girl said as she handed the umbrella she was holding to you. You were stunned. Damn, maybe whoever up there really thought that they must’ve treated you like absolute crap because of the whole song incident and sent an angel with an umbrella to you. You probably took a moment too long because the angel had ended up smiling even wider and gently put the umbrella into your hands. She gave you one last smile before facing the front again. You watched as she took a deep breath before rushing out into the pouring rain. 

 

‘YOU’RE GONNA-’ you started, eyes widened in surprise before being interrupted by the scene in front of you. It was interesting seeing the way she had run out clumsily with a grin on her face and seemingly enjoying the fact that it was raining so hard. 

 

You could only stutter an awkward ‘T-thanks…um-umbrella…girl?’ after her. You watched in stunned silence as you watched her happily twirl in the rain and step into a puddle, before seemingly disappearing in the rain. 

 

Another buzz ripped you out of your thoughts and forced your attention back on the phone. It snapped your attention back to work and putting your thoughts about the kind stranger on hold, you quickly rushed back. 

 

***

 

‘Yena?’ 

 

‘Shhh. I have inspiration to write something. You just gotta give me a second to write it up, Yul!’

 

You are well aware of Yuri’s stare but she knew better than to push you to talk. You suddenly didn’t care too much about the demo issue, potentially losing your job nor the scolding that your boss gave you. The only thing on your mind was to write down all the thoughts you had after the kind stranger gave you the clear plastic umbrella that is now sitting in the bucket just by the door of your studio space.  

 

Yuri sat down next to you and looked at the lyrics that you were writing. They honestly made sense because there really was nothing too much to it. But knowing what the market was like, Yuri decided to pipe up next to you to give you a few suggestions. You never really finished the song - only stashing it into your pile of drafts until you needed it. You wrote down ideas and proceeded to work on your other stuff. 

 

It wasn’t too much of a problem until you realize just how much time had passed since that day. You’ve gotten busy - running back and forth between doing work and visiting your sister. Before you knew it, it'd been a few months and honestly your mind was getting hazy since you never really got to see the girl’s face properly. You had only really remembered the clear plastic umbrella in the bucket and the memory that came with it when you had to use the said umbrella to shield you from the rain. 

 

Deciding it was probably time for you to finish the song after leaving it for so long, you pulled out your pens and drafted the instrumental out. Re-reading the lyrics was…an experience. You never thought you were one to be cheesy. But you knew this song was going to be sung by your best friend and as your best friend had said, romance is in basically all the popular songs anyway so apart from wanting to see this stranger, add some spicy romance into it!

 

You drew inspiration from one of those romance movies you’d watch the other day with Yuri and try to incorporate some of it in. Except maybe drawing on sad romance stories isn’t really the way to go because when you read the lyrics you wrote, it suddenly became so much more…depressing?

 

‘My heart says it’s okay to be sad or depressed today
When this night is over, it won’t matter anymore 

 

I’ll forget you again and live like that for a while
And you’ll only live on in my heart 

 

Because it was raining, I thought of you
Because I thought of you that’s why I was like that - it didn’t mean anything 

 

I think that was the end

When this rain stops, 

We have to go our own ways 

And live in our own lives again  

 

Because it was raining, I thought of you
Because I thought of you that’s why I was like that - it didn’t mean anything’ 

 

Chuckling at how depressing it had become, you decided to leave it at that. It’s time for a change. There were too many happy romance songs anyway. Plus, it would fit Yuri’s husky voice a lot and you’d like to think that you have a keen ear for what sounds good and what doesn’t. 

 

***

 

‘Hi Miss Choi, welcome to Producer Corner!’

 

Bowing to show your respect, you sat down on the chair offered to you and smiled at the host. 

 

‘Thank you for inviting me,’ you replied happily. 

 

‘For those who don’t know, Producer Corner gives a little spotlight for the producers behind big names and songs. Miss Choi Yena here is the mastermind behind quite a few popular tracks - some of which have done super well in the charts both domestically and internationally! First off, how are you feeling?’

 

‘Honestly, I feel great. I’ve spent so much time and effort on all my works and I love that I could share my process and talk a little about what went on in the studio.’

 

‘That’s great to hear! Speaking of which, do you mind if we can have a little sneak peak into the process and what it was like working with soloist Jo Yuri?’

 

‘Yuri and I have actually known each other since…highschool? Middle school even? Man it’s been a while but at least I can safely say that Yuri and I are basically platonic soulmates!’

 

‘Aw, what a cute friendship you two have! How about the process of making ‘You, Clouds, Rain’? I’m sure many viewers are curious about the inspiration behind it’

 

‘Process wise, ‘You, Clouds, Rain’ was inspired by both a romantic film that I watched with Yuri some time ago and an incident that involved a stranger and me rushing back to the company on a rainy day with no umbrella.’

 

You sat still for a moment and gave it some thought. Chaewon had told you that you should just say what you want to during your visit with Yuri to the hospital last night. On the other hand, Yuri, being your best friend since forever, had told you that maybe it was time for you to find this mysterious girl by subtly asking about her on a show and hopefully she’ll see it. Taking a deep breath, you gathered your courage to say your next few words.

 

‘It might just be a small action, but it helped me a lot. I had something…personal that day, so I had to move quickly. I would like to thank her personally, even though I have no memories of how she looked. Nevertheless, I would like to find them to properly thank them for lending me their umbrella and for being one of the biggest inspirations to the song.’

 

***

 

You decided to go to the convenience store again for a drink this time. You were thirsty from all the talking and meeting up with clients in the studio. After Yuri sang ‘You, Clouds, Rain’ it had almost instantly became a smash hit. You were busy making remixes so that she could perform them when the award shows rolled around in a few months time. You’ve also had an increase of clients. Although tiring, you’re so thankful for them as they are basically the ones helping you earn enough money to pay for your sister’s hospital fees. You were able to take a bit of a break. Yuri had gone to visit Chaewon today so you’d be going there after dinner. 

 

As you walked in to make your purchase, you could hear the song play on the speakers. Yuri’s smooth husky voice filled the space and your mind instantly recognized the familiar lyrics. 

 

‘For the first time in a while, I thought about you today.’

 

How fitting. It was sprinkling outside - enough for you to get away with the hoodie you’re wearing. Your mind travelled back to the woman who owned the plastic umbrella in your hands. Snapping out of it when the cashier had asked about giving you a receipt, you shook your head and thanked the cashier. You bowed and walked out of the store, only to stop for a second and watch the rain fall.  

 

‘Fancy seeing you here again, Miss Song-writer,’ said a gentle voice from behind you. 

 

You whipped your head around and honestly, you couldn’t believe your eyes. Perhaps it was the interview. Perhaps it was a pure coincidence. Perhaps it was fate (you’d like to think that that was the case). Your eyes widened and your jaw went slack. Did you also mention your neck might have snapped off with how fast you turned around? 

 

‘I-I...y-you...’ you awkwardly stuttered as you still haven’t recovered from the shock of seeing the girl appear in front of you again.

 

Just like that day. 

 

The blurry image of a figure wearing something white and blue suddenly became clearer.   

 

‘I don’t think we’ve introduced ourselves to each other before. I’m Minjoo. Kim Minjoo.’

 

‘I-’

 

‘I know who you are. I happened to see your interview when my sister mentioned you. Honestly, I was really surprised to see you on YouTube,’ Minjoo giggled cutely. 

 

‘O-oh…’

 

To tell the truth, you’re not really sure where you want to go from here either. Maybe you should thank the girl for being your inspiration? Or thank her for the umbrella all that time ago? Wait, maybe you should tell her your- 

 

Damn it Yena. She just told you she knew your name, calm down...

 

‘So uh, I’m Yena?’ you said dumbly, clearly not very sure where to go from there. 

 

‘I know. I’m glad you took care of the plastic umbrella! It looks like it’s been very well kept,’ said Minjoo kindly. There was no sense of teasing or mocking. She was simply pointing out what she saw. 

 

Looking down at the umbrella in your hands, you answered her. ‘Y-yeah…I use it as my emergency if I forget my umbrella. Speaking of which, I want to thank you and return this to you.’

 

‘You don’t need to! I’m happy to help. You looked like you needed it more than I did and as my sister says, I’m a bit of a rain child. I don’t really have an excuse to go around and feel the rain land on me.’

 

‘Did you get sick? I’m so sorry if you did. It was my fault for not bringing an umbrella!’ you apologized, bowing to show your sincere apology. 

 

‘Hey, get up! It’s okay!’

 

‘I’ll make it up to you?’

 

‘I just said it’s okay. You don’t need to. Really.’

 

‘How about dinner? Of course, only if you’re free…’

 

Minjoo shot you a smile. There was something a little different with the look in her eyes. 

 

‘Sure, but only to get to know each other better and not as an apology!’

 

***