Under the Mistletoe🎄

Under the Mistletoe 🎄

               It’s Christmas Eve and everyone is probably out with their lovers, friends or anyone really, counting down to 25th December except Kyungsoo. He is not an avid believer of anything related to Christmas, to him it’s just another holiday with those over-the-top decorations and the annoying (sorry, don’t mean to offend anyone) Christmas songs with those cheesy lyrics. It also acts as a reminder that the year is about to end and he is getting a year older which is not what he wants to think about at the moment.

               His plan for the night is to just stay at home like any other day and binge eat while watching Netflix but the supposed plans are foiled when he hears a frantic knock on the door. The doe-eyed male sighs, knowing very well who the unwanted visitor is. To no surprise, it’s his best friend (who he will never admit out loud) Baekhyun who barges in and Kyungsoo notices that his best friend is in his famous ‘party outfit’. He groans internally, fully aware of why Baekhyun is here.

               ‘You are not dragging me to another one of your parties,’ Kyungsoo announces even before Baekhyun could open his mouth.

               ‘Come on man, it’s Christmas Eve! Don’t be a spoiled sport! I promise this time you will not regret it, like for sure. Besides, I heard there will be loads of cute guys to meet and who knows, you might actually meet the love of your life there on Christmas! Isn’t that romantic?’

               Kyungsoo sighs, lying on the couch and covering his face with a pillow. ‘No thanks, you can go ahead. I am not stopping you.’

               Baekhyun pries the pillow out of his friend’s face, ‘Look, I will make a deal with you. If you go to this party with me, I will accompany your sorry to that couples cooking class you begged me to go to.’

               The doe-eyed male’s eyes lit up at Baekhyun’s deal, he gets up frantically and sprints to his room with a ‘you should have said so earlier’ thrown to his best friend. He comes out minutes later sporting his favourite hoodie and sweatpants because he has no other reason to dress nicely really.

               ‘Oh my god, you are not wearing that to the party,’ Baekhyun holds onto the doe-eyed male’s arm and drags him back to his room.

               ‘Why not! I just promised to be there, not to show up looking like I am going for a hook up or anything!’

               Baekhyun starts to rummage his closet and ends up tossing a white knitted sweater and a pair of tight-fitting jeans to Kyungsoo who is still sulking pitifully.

               ‘Put these on, Soo. Hurry up, we need to be there in twenty and I am not taking no for an answer,’ Baekhyun says firmly before sauntering off to the living room, leaving Kyungsoo to change his outfit unwillingly.

 

               The party is in full swing by the time Baekhyun and Kyungsoo enter the huge- bungalow that is smack in the middle of the richest neighbourhood.

               ‘Are you sure we are invited here? I mean, everything here is so classy-looking, it’s not my scene,’ Kyungsoo whispers while holding onto his best friend’s arm.

               ‘Relax Soo, just don’t embarrass yourself and you will be fine. Now if you will excuse me, I gotta find Chanyeol so you just stay here, grab a drink or something and don’t you dare run away,’ Baekhyun says before leaving a distraught Kyungsoo behind. Kyungsoo ponders on the escape plan he has on the back of his mind but ultimately decides against it, because he really does not want to be on Baekhyun’s bad side.

               He pads around the living room while also trying to hide from everyone in the party, fortunately for him no one actually bothers to talk to him. Maybe because he looks really out of place in the vast sea of business people with their fancy suit and ties.

               Kyungsoo manages to get himself an eggnog (the only Christmas thing he is fond of) as he wanders around the huge estate’s empty hallways, trying to admire the expensive-looking artworks hanging on the drab grey walls when he hears faint footsteps closing onto his direction. He turns to see a male with stylishly brown locks, clad in one of those ugly Christmas sweaters and black slacks, looking as out of place as he is. At least he found someone who he can actually converse with without knowing any latest stock market information or those business crap. Not to mention that the said stranger is pretty hot even with that ugly sweater on him.

             ‘You like art?’ The stranger asks as he stands next to Kyungsoo, holding a wine glass in his hand.

               The doe-eyed male tilts his head to a side, trying to figure out the meaning of the blob in the framed artwork. ‘Not exactly, this just seems more interesting to me at the moment.’

               ‘Not a fan of parties I see,’ the stranger continues, now facing Kyungsoo with his lips curling into a grin.

               ‘Yeah, I didn’t even want to be here honestly.  I was dragged by my best friend, Baekhyun who threatened me with a trip to the cooking class I have been dying to go to. I don’t even know whose party is this, I hope we didn’t actually crash into some stranger’s party. Oh my god, maybe we did! Baekhyun doesn’t even know anyone who stays in this posh area, oh my god.’

               The stranger waves his hand in an attempt to calm him down, ‘Don’t freak out, I know Baekhyun. You are not in some stranger’s party. You are actually in the presence of the organizer himself, Kim Junmyeon at your service.’

               ‘Oh wow, so you own these expensive-looking paintings? And this bungalow?’

               Junmyeon chuckles, ‘Well, if you put it that way then yes. Sorry you didn’t find the party entertaining, Mr…’

               ‘Kyungsoo, Do Kyungsoo.’

               ‘Oh yes, Kyungsoo-ssi. I apologize once again for the mildly entertaining party. Maybe I can make it up to you? In the form of a coffee date perhaps?’

               The doe-eyed male nearly tripped, almost spilling his remaining eggnog as soon as he heard Junmyeon asking him on a date. Luckily the said Junmyeon manages to catch Kyungsoo before he fell and he ends up in the party organizer’s arms. Is it weird for Kyungsoo to think it feels amazing to be held by Junmyeon, all warm and smelling of cinnamon that the doe-eyed male just so happens to love? Maybe.

               ‘I am so sorry about that, I am a total klutz if you can’t tell,’ Kyungsoo apologizes as soon as Junmyeon lets him go, which causes the former to sulk a little at the loss of the comforting warmth.

               ‘No worries...’

               Their conversation is interrupted by the butler (man Junmyeon is rich) who is asking for Junmyeon to head back into the living room for a Christmas toast. Junmyeon turns to look at Kyungsoo, who in turn gestures for the male to go ahead without him.

               ‘No, you have to come with me. I am not letting you go without getting your number for our coffee date,’ Junmyeon winks, holding onto Kyungsoo’s arm and leading him back into the living room. They both arrive to find everyone’s attention of them, with some pointing at the ceiling above them. Kyungsoo also spots Baekhyun and his mischievous grin which tells the doe-eyed male that it is not good.

               ‘Oh well, we are under a mistletoe apparently, Kyungsoo-ssi.’

               Kyungsoo freezes and looks up to indeed find a mistletoe right smack on top of where he and Junmyeon is standing. He sighs, why is the universe doing this to him on Christmas of all days.

               ‘Kiss, kiss, kiss!’

               Junmyeon turns to face Kyungsoo who is still frozen, ‘You don’t have to if you don’t want to, it will be okay.’

               Kyungsoo looks at Junmyeon and all of a sudden, he imagines the both of them in a cozy-looking home filled with over-the-top Christmas decorations, them cuddling underneath a huge- Christmas tree while wearing the ugly Christmas sweaters in which he eventually comes to love because of the person standing in front him. He realises that this is probably it, he found that someone he wants to spend his future Christmases with. 

               “Are you okay Kyungsoo?’

               The doe-eyed male snaps back into reality with Junmyeon’s soft gaze on him, He grabs hold onto Junmyeon’s now empty wine glass and his own glass, placing both of it on the table next to him before grabbing the hem of the party organizer’s ugly sweater, pulling him into a kiss.

 

               Junmyeon does not respond at first, obviously too stunned at Kyungsoo’s forwardness but he eventually melts into the kiss, tasting the faint eggnog that the latter had been drinking. He wraps his arms around the doe-eyed male’s waist, deepening the kiss amidst the cheers of the party guests who are probably enjoying their very public makeout session.

               They break apart minutes later, still panting and cheeks flushed. The guests eventually lost focus and turned their attention elsewhere after the second minute of their kiss which left both Kyungsoo and Junmyeon still standing underneath the mistletoe.

               ‘Wow, that was...,’ Junmyeon trails off.

               ‘Amazing?’ Kyungsoo smiles sheepishly.  

               ‘Yeah, I was about to say amazing. Why did you decide to kiss me?’

               The doe-eyed male shrugs, he will tell him about his vision later.