end

human

.

“I told you to never touch a cigarette again,” Kyuhyun was furious, yet Heechul was barely even looking at him. 

 

“You care?”

 

Heechul’s voice was so cold, Kyuhyun never thought he had ever heard him sound like this ever again. Or maybe he had; years ago when Hangeng left. But that was a memory so distant, Kyuhyun never thought he could relive anything like that again. But here he was.

 

“Why wouldn’t I care, hyung?”

 

(because nobody does)

 

“There’s nothing bad going on here. Go to sleep.”

 

(stop lying)

 

“Kim Heechul, stop what you are doing right now.”

 

(no honorifics. hate it, . why don’t you hate it?)

 

“What am I doing, Cho Kyuhyun?”

 

(he likes -loves- the way Kyuhyun’s name slides against his tongue)

 

“Smoking.”

 

Heechul chuckled.

 

“Congratulations, Cho Kyuhyun. You are not blind.”

 

“You said you hated it, hyung,” Kyuhyun said, ignoring all the sarcasm. 

 

“You know what I also hate? Being broken.”

 

Kyuhyun’s breath hitched. He realised that no matter how many times the elder would smile and crack jokes, it didn’t mean that he was always happy; he just hated seeing others being worried about him; he hated being weak. Kyuhyun should have known better. He is not unbreakable, noone is. Humans are meant to be fragile; that’s why superheroes are mere constructions of the human mind.

 

Kyuhyun kneeled and took Heechul’s face; his warm fingers caressing the cold surface of Heechul’s skin. His long fingers traveled and grabbed the cigarette; driving it away from the elder’s lips, catching the flame in between his fingers, putting off the fire; making Heechul look at him awestruck. 

 

(don’t do this)

 

“What are you doing?”

 

Heechul’s voice trembled. 

 

“What does it look like I’m doing?”

 

Kyuhyun was so close, Heechul felt as if his breath was stolen away.

 

“I don’t know.”

 

Kyuhyun inched closer; his eyes smiling and radiating warmth. Heechul flinched back.

 

“Don’t do this.”

 

“Why?”

 

Heechul felt as if he was melting. He hated this. 

 

“Don’t pretend to feel something you don’t, just to console me.”

 

“Who said I’m pretending?” 

 

That was all that was said before time stopped and Kyuhyun’s lips crushed against Heechul’s plump ones. Heechul was too startled; too confused to do anything. But Kyuhyun’s lips were too desperate against his and any walls he had built, all crumbled down, as if they were made of paper. 

 

The kiss was a desperate dance, accompanied with Heechul’s tears and Kyuhyun’s reassuring caresses and kisses. And when it all felt too overwhelming and their lips separated, the way Kyuhyun looked at him, made him break. 

 

“You are only human, hyung. We all are. You don’t have to pretend that you are unbreakable, because you are not. And you know what? I’m not either. I’m so broken sometimes, I feel like a lost cause filled with open scars.”

 

Heechul almost lost his breath.

 

“But you are so beautiful, Kyuhyun.”

 

And Kyuhyun smiled; such a warm, beautiful smile.

 

“And so are you.”

 

And maybe for the first time Heechul felt like he is actually okay; that he doesn’t have to pretend; that he could finally breathe. Because he is human and humans are never meant to be perfect. They can be torn and scarred and beaten up. Unless you are Cho Kyuhyun, because, then, to Heechul’s eyes, you would be actually perfect; every single one of your imperfections would be perfect. To Kim Heechul, the human Cho Kyuhyun was nothing but perfect.

 

And even though he would never know it nor understand it, to Cho Kyuhyun, the human Kim Heechul was nothing but perfect as well. The most beautiful human to ever exist.


.