Fin

Airport Goodbyes
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Karina's POV

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll be back before you know it.”

 

I sighed heavily, burying my face in the pillow beside me that's still packed full of her scent. “You know… you said that last time… and took three months to come back to me.”

 

“It’ll be a short trip this time though, just Paris to Vegas, then back to LA for a day J.”

 

“Whatever… do what you want. Don’t look for me if you come back to Seoul.”

 

“Come on, Jimi-“

 

I cut her off by ending the call in fumes. No, but why does she always leave without a worry? Without even saying goodbye? Before allowing myself to spiral into an endless pool of thoughts about the girl, I huffed out of frustration and turned off my phone.

 

Peering over at my nightstand, the analog clock read “9:36 a.m.”

 

Sighing once again, I rolled over to the other side, curling up into a ball. I don’t wanna get up today. I don’t wanna do anything and it’s all because of her. Kim Minjeong.

 

Are we even dating? Why do I feel like I’m losing her? I thought profusely before falling back into a deep slumber.

 

 

~

 

 

I woke up to the sound of my doorbell ringing. Not certain if I heard it right, I remained in bed completely still. After a moment, it rang again and once more after that. Mustering up all my energy, I got up and shuffled over to see who it could be.

 

Peering through the peephole, I saw Giselle standing there looking impatient. I opened the door slowly.

 

“What do you want?” I questioned groggily.

 

“Sheesh, is that any way to greet your bestie?” She answered before pushing the door open and entering.

 

“Yah, did I say you could come in?” I moved aside to let her in any way.

 

“I brought food for us, there, happy?” She smiled softly.

 

I shrugged and folded my arms. “Depends, what did you bring?”

 

“Pineapple pizza! And some other stuff I think you like.” She said setting a bunch of bags down on the table along with the pizza.

 

I squinted at her. “What’s the occasion? Spill. You never just show up uninvited.”

 

“Occasion? I’m just here to spend time with my bestie.” She grinned brightly… a little too bright.

 

My expression remained skeptical.

 

Her smile faltered. “Okay okay… to tell you the truth… Minjeong asked me to check up on you.”

 

My ears perked up at the sound of her name.

 

“S-she did? I mean… you shouldn’t have listened to her. I’m completely fine!” I replied very convincingly before swiftly turning my attention towards the pizza.

 

“Dude, she's super worried because you wouldn’t answer her messages so I tried calling but your phone was off. You guys got into another fight huh?” She implored.

 

I took a small bite of the cheesy triangle and chewed slowly before swallowing.

 

“I don’t even know if you would call that a fight. It’s just…” I started, “I feel like we’re growing apart. She’s been so busy with work that she doesn’t even have the time of day to call me and tell me how she’s doing. Then she comes back barely even for a day and leaves the country without me knowing.” I spoke, looking down at the fruity triangle.

 

Giselle sighed, sitting herself down in front of me.

 

“Look, I can't say much for comfort because my girlfriend doesn’t travel for a living, but… one thing I know for sure is that Minjeong cares about you a lot. She loves you, stupid.”

 

I remained silent, feeling a lump in my throat. I’m not going to cry over this. To refrain from choking up, I took another bite of the pizza.

 

Giselle watched me for a moment before grabbing a slice for herself and eating with me in complete silence.

 

Giselle has been my best friend since elementary school. We sat by each other and became close since I often initiated conversations with her. She's the type of person that has a lot to say but chooses to keep quiet. Throughout our school years, she became more outgoing and even got a girlfriend when we both entered college. Her girlfriend, Yizhou, is an international student studying fashion design. They matched well, being into the same things and whatnot.

 

Through Giselle and Yizhou, I met Minjeong. A studious, multi-talented girl with endless charms who everyone looked up to. She was very popular at our university for being well-rounded and super friendly. I didn’t notice it at first, but I may have had an itzy bitzy crush on her from the first moment I saw her. As we got closer, she walked me to class every day and waited for me afterward to go eat lunch outside on sunny days. On rainy days, we’d sit under an awning in the courtyard to finish our ice cream and watch other kids get drenched. Naturally, we spent most of our time together during college, going out for food with Giselle and Yizhou or to the library to study together.

 

One day, she dragged me to the courtyard in the rain and asked me to be her girlfriend to which I agreed ecstatically.

 

From there on out, we became a couple. Inseparable… until graduation. Straight out of college, Minjeong received a dream job offer that she couldn’t give up and so we mutually agreed on making things work long-distance. However, it was easier said than done. Work turned into everything. Days turned into weeks, weeks into months. I couldn’t even take her to the airport because she wouldn’t let me. 

 

Whenever she's with me, the moment I fall asleep I would wake up without her by my side… without a single notice that she would be leaving. It feels like every time that I blink, she disappears without a trace besides her scent.

 

How did we end up like this?

 

“Yo, earth to Jimin!” Giselle snapped me out of my thought cycle.

 

“S-sorry, what were you saying?” I blinked, shaking my head.

 

“You okay? You stopped eating your pizza.”

 

“Ah… I was just thinking about… things.”

 

“Mhm, sure. So, how's life being an artist?” She inquired.

 

"It's as good as it'll get honestly. I don't know what I was thinking majoring in art. I can barely make a living without working a part-time job." I answered truthfully.

 

"Yo, don't sell yourself short like that. You went for what you're passionate about. That takes balls... plus you're a great artist, seriously bestie. I'll be the first to buy your paintings."

 

I chuckled. "How supportive of you. Thanks, Giselle."

 

"Of course! Man, I wish I would've just become a rapper. I honestly don't think fashion is for me like it is for Yizhou." She giggled.

 

“It's never too late to release a mixtape you know. Oh right, how’s Yizhou doing? I haven’t heard from her in a while.” I asked.

 

“She’s good, I haven’t seen her lately though. She’s been crazy busy with this design-project-competition thingy lately. She could win a ton of money if she wins- which she will, cause she’s ma girl.” My frien

Please log in to read the full chapter