December 1st

December 1st

Two years ago, when they are taking a break from a big project they are both working on just because they want to do it, the decided to lay lazily on the floor, even without a mat as they are too tired to get one and their backs are already aching.

 

Mina was the one fully laying down while the younger automatically lay on her stomach and instantly scrolled on her phone, checking all her social media accounts when she randomly opened her camera application, showed herself, and Mina right after.

 

It was about 5 seconds, but that short span of time already made Mina giggle because the girl’s antics are just so funny yet awesome and interesting at the same time.

 

The next thing she knew is that the girl is already putting some flowery filter on their video—a really plain video of just them showing themselves just laying after a whole day of working on something.

 

“What are you even up to? First, you called me so you can set up your room with a pillow fort, then let me wear your hoodie, dim the lights, turn on mellow songs, what else? It’s already raining hard outside. I just want to lay down on my own bed, you know?”

 

The sulky Mina dropped her phone on her chest and dramatically stared at the younger who is still busy scrolling on her phone, she supposes on an Instagram page.

 

“Son Chaeyoung, I swear, if you called me just so you can have someone you can be with while you’re just scrolling there—“

 

A heavy thing was suddenly atop of Mina, good thing, she can still breathe, and a peck on her lips was followed right after. It instantly made her blush once she opened her eyes and looked directly into the girl’s eyes—it reflects the whole universe, her whole universe, it’s so damn pretty that she just wants to live in it, even just in one day.

 

“Son Chaeyoung, what is with you that I keep on falling all over again, no matter how I avoid my gaze, stop feeling the butterflies on my stomach, and imagine myself with you in the future?”

 

It was December 1st, another month was welcomed, and it was the last month of the year. Mina was actually feeling a bit uneasy because she feels like she have never done something good to improve herself the whole year, nor felt at least a bit of development around her.

 

However, Chaeyoung was there, right beside her, who made her realize that existing and surviving in every day of that year is already an accomplishment and therefore something to celebrate in life.

 

The girl was there to make her realize that she has been doing a great job in surviving every day because it was once the day she has been praying for in the past and now that it eventually happened and Mina was still there, existing and moving forward, she believes it is something to be proud of.

 

It was also the first day of December when Mina randomly blurted her feelings out to Chaeyoung, the person she will admit is the very important to her entire life.

 

She doesn’t know exactly when did she realize she was in love, or if she was indeed in love, nor the fact how did she even had the courage to blurt out her feelings like that, with a definitely awkward position, but on a certain comfortable atmosphere and moment because she is so fond of the rain and that kind of feeling, but all she knows is that she wants Chaeyoung to know what she really feels so her heart can already shatter into pieces.

 

It was actually a relieving feeling because she has been hiding her feelings for the girl she have known for almost 8 years already, for about 2 years where she just steal glances to the girl, even had the audacity to feel jealous towards the other girls Chaeyoung hangs out with because she has a diverse friend group.

 

Mina felt everything because of Chaeyoung. She felt life because of her and how painful, yet wonderful it is because a certain Son Chaeyoung is existing the same time as her.

 

Another peck was supposed to land on Mina’s lips while they are still in the same position for almost 5 minutes now, but Chaeyoung was too brave to put her right hand on Mina’s left cheek and kissed her passionately.

 

Both eyes were closed, feeling the entire moment and how they both feel so hot despite the cold weather and the nonstop heavy rain outside.

 

Mina can definitely prove that she was just reading about this kind of moment in books or even just watching it on movies or dramas, but feeling it in reality, experiencing it in real life was absolutely surreal, yet it gives her a totally different kind of euphoria. She loves everything about it. She loves everything about December 1.

~~~~~~~

A year ago, when the two both decided to have their own place and since it’s another month and they both welcomed December, the last month of the year, together, they decided to display some Christmas decorations in their place so they can fully feel the Christmas spirit in the air.

 

They went to the department store to buy some balls and other designs for the Christmas tree, garlands, Christmas lights, mistletoe, and other necessary stuff they want to hang by their wall and the available space in their living room.

 

They also decided to buy Christmas presents for their family and friends already so they can have something to display under the tree and it can look presentable when they will take a picture.

 

Once they went back home and the calendar at their living room welcomed them with the last page of it that shows that it is indeed December first already, Mina smiled.

 

In just a year, she never knew that a lot was improved and developed, unlike her feeling and realization last year about her total burnout in life.

 

In that span of time, Chaeyoung made her so happy and contented about life. She made her feel that there’s totally so many exciting and interesting things about life and it’s certainly okay to slow down and seize the moment, and her happiness is important more than anything else.

 

The girl never fails to make her feel so grateful about life and her decision to keep on moving forward instead of being miserable just because she doesn’t find any reason to live already.

 

With Chaeyoung, she knows more about herself, deeply and spiritually. Even just small things like her actual favorite color, song, or food, her pet peeves, and the likes. She never knew she would find that out through Chaeyoung because she made her realize that even small things matters, most definitely Mina, the biggest thing that matters in her life.

 

“Stop being cheesy, it doesn’t suit you”

 

“Admit it, it made your heart flutter, does it?”

 

She clicked the play button on her phone and the lively music started playing in the whole living room as they started decorating their whole place with the spirit of Christmas.

 

“Shut up and just help me make this Christmas tree stand”

 

Right after they finished making the tree stand on its own, they immediately put some accessories needed on it, while dancing to the music because it’s just giving them some good vibes, even purposely bumping their butts and giggling right after because they enjoy that kind of moment.

 

After almost half an hour of decorating the Christmas tree alone, that’s just when they realize they both can’t reach the top and they need a stool to support them and put the last touch in the design of the tree which is the star.

 

“Carry me?”

 

Mina said in a totally cute voice, pleading face on, and her index fingers touching each other. Of course, Chaeyoung can’t say no to her adorable girlfriend, adding the fact that it’s raining once again, she’s wearing her favorite hoodie, and the dark atmosphere is slowly surrounding them that makes them want to immediately turn on the Christmas lights.

 

Chaeyoung indeed carry Mina, instead of using a stool, just so the older can put the star atop of the tree and they both turn on the Christmas lights as Chaeyoung hugged Mina behind while staring at the decorations.

 

What a beauty.

 

“Gosh. I can’t believe I’m not spending my Christmas alone for 2 years in a row now. And I’m so glad to welcome December again with you, Mina”

~~~~~~~

Years after, another December 1st arrived and Mina seems like she’s feeling incomplete whenever she welcomes December with no one beside her except the plain yellow blanket all around her, the messy Christmas decorations scattered all around the room, and the unfinished coffee on her side table.

 

It wasn’t a warm Christmas anymore, now because Chaeyoung’s in a different pair of arms already and there’s no one to make Mina warm with the heavy rains outside.

 

She stares at her reflection on the enormous mirror beside her bedroom door. It wasn’t the Mina she knew when she was Chaeyoung—the Mina in front was already lifeless and totally soulless.

 

She admits that she misses warm hugs, fluffy bedsheets, soft pillows, comfy hoodie, mellow songs, dark atmosphere, and heavy rains whenever that day of the year eventually comes, but what she misses the most is a person named Son Chaeyoung, who is never going back to her because she now finally found someone she can truly call her own home, that she misses the most during December 1st comes.