you are the best thing that's ever been...

mine

 

Mine by Taylor Swift

 

***

 

“For table two,”

 

“Alright, for table two, coming right up!”

 

Yujin swiftly took the tray full of food from the counter and walked a bee-line towards the mentioned table — smoothly avoiding the other waitresses and waiters who were scattered around the place, dispersing and running in different directions. With a hum, Yujin dodged her co-worker at ease out of instinct when he almost bumped into her. He just turned to her, peeking through his shoulder then gave her an apologetic look but Yujin paid no mind to it and gave him a nod before continuing her way towards the table.

 

She then finally spotted table number two, and tugged the hem of her shirt, straightening it to look a little more presentable.

 

The people on table two were a family of four; the parents, and two children who lit up in their seats and practically trembled when they saw Yujin coming towards their direction with their steaks.

 

Yujin threw them a smile, “Hi, here’s your order. Four Ribeye steaks with fries on the side.” She announced, and her grin widened when the kids started to squeal as she prepared the steaks to them. “Your desserts will be up in a bit! Thank you, have a nice meal.” She added, and with that, she immediately left since there were still a lot of customers to tend and orders to deliver.

 

She took a good look around the restaurant where she was working at, it was packed since it was dinner time and a lot of people decided to dine in their place. Her co-workers were scattered around; some were greeting the newcomers and asking for their orders, some were rushing around to deliver their orders, some were tending to the customers’ needs, and some were cleaning tables. It was a busy Thursday night.

 

Yujin was too used to this sight already. She had always experienced busy nights, it was rare for the restaurant to be calm and wasn’t packed by people especially in the evening. Usually, in the morning, it was practically empty but once lunchtime rolled — people would start coming in again, and it would be busy all over again.

 

That was just how it was in ELEVEN Resto. Yujin had been working under this hotel restaurant located in the heart of Gangnam City for six months already after she was shunned out of her own home. Working here was a blessing really — her employment in this place saved her from further catastrophe. If the manager did not take her in, she was probably out in the streets and homeless, begging for some coins or food — worse, dead.

 

She was originally from Gwangju, and she just stepped in Gangnam a few months ago with three thousand won in her wallet and no idea where to go or who to reach out to because she knew no one outside Gwangju. She was new in the city, looking for establishments that would take her in and give her a job when she stumbled upon ELEVEN Resto two days after she arrived at this foreign city.

 

She could still vividly remember those hard days where she slept on one of the benches in the park, and there were times she had to rest in an alley behind the trash bins because she had nowhere to go, and she had no money to rent a motel room.

 

There was where the restaurant’s manager, Eunbi, found her — she was sleeping on the bus waiting shed near the hotel. The kind woman gave her food after they had a short conversation and asked her to come with her to the hotel restaurant so they could talk properly. Eunbi offered her a job since she was short of workers after three of them simultaneously quitted since they graduated from their respective universities. Yujin was ecstatic, she almost kneeled in front of Eunbi after the woman said that.

 

Eunbi just asked for her I.D. and did not even ask for any resume — she just held an interview, and after that, the kind woman even helped her to find a place to settle down since she learned that she was new in the city and homeless, just sleeping around. She trusted Yujin that she would be able to do her job very well, she looked capable and she was determined enough to work greatly.

 

Yujin was really desperate for a job so she could survive, she would take any job except those… odd jobs, of course. She was willing to sweep the streets if it meant she could earn little money for food and shelter, she was even willing to pick up dog s. She was desperate. But she was lucky that Eunbi found her. She was destined to work in ELEVEN Resto.

 

After she started working in the restaurant, she instantly felt belonged, she knew what to do and Eunbi was impressed that she was great at it even though she wasn’t experienced in that field or did not even experience taking jobs before. Yujin was just mostly at home before she was disowned anyway, her parents refused to let her go out of the house; she could only do so if they were with her or if she was going to her school. All she could do was to play piano even though she was so sick of it — her freedom was non-existent.

 

She loved working there; she was able to earn money by working part-time. Eunbi also helped her to get a scholarship in a nearby university — Yujin was now able to continue her studies and graduate. Thankfully enough, she was competent and smart enough to receive an exclusive full scholarship in that school.

 

Now, she was happily working part-time in the restaurant while studying to finish her course, and get that degree. Yujin was reluctant to leave ELEVEN, to be honest, she was planning to just work here until she gets promoted as an assistant manager or something. Maybe, if she saved enough, build her own restaurant or franchise.

 

Yujin looked around the packed place with a smile. Everything was busy and hectic, multiple voices engulfing her ears, exhaustion creeping up to her after working afternoon to night shift just when she came from her classes — but still, she was content. This place was home.

 

After her little reminiscing session, she walked back to the counter to take the orders and deliver them to the customers — and probably clean some tables afterwards.

 

***

 

Yujin wore her vest, buttoning it up as she looked at the small mirror of the locker room of the employees. She then scooped her long beige hair up, and tied it into a low ponytail with her hair tie. With her fingers, she sweeped off her fringes neatly, brushing off her side bangs to the side of her face. She scanned herself in front of the mirror after, checking her reflection. Okay, she looked fine and presentable.

 

She needed to look nicer for this night since she was tasked to be one of the servers in an event that would happen in the restaurant. From what Eunbi had said, an airline company rented the restaurant for a night. The hotel restaurant had two floors — the first floor was for the walk-in customers while the second one was for events, gatherings, etc. — simply exclusive for the VIPs.

 

It wasn’t rare to have events like this, and Yujin served in those exclusive events for quite a few times already. However, she loved serving on the first floor instead, where it was more busy. People that were invited to the private events were intimidating, they eluded this ‘i’m rich and i can ruin your life if you spill a drink on me’ vibes. They were quite sassy and arrogant too. Just annoying to serve.

 

Hopefully, the people this time were better than the last ones. Yujin almost had a fight with one of the guests before because he kept hitting on her and even went too far on touching her, literally harassing her. Yujin just held her tongue and went away after that since she knew if she would make a scene, she might get fired and tarnish the hotel and restaurant’s name with her.

 

Yujin could only really hope that those people were nice. She heard from Eunbi last time that the people that would be attending this early christmas event were working under an aviation company. Swan Airlines, one of the biggest airlines in South Korea. There would be another event for batch two and three next week, actually but Yujin would not serve there.

 

Airline staff then, flight crew like flight attendants and pilots. Professionals. Yujin was expecting for them to behave really nicely.

 

Taking a deep breath, Yujin closed her locker then turned around — buttoning her sleeves as she walked to the waiting room, where the employees tasked to work on the second floor tonight were huddled together.

 

“Alright, since there is a theme for this event — which is masquerade — you guys are also required to wear masks throughout the night. Please, pick a mask for each of you. Go, go!” Eunbi said with a loud, clear voice as she pointed at the long table where the masks were located.

 

Yujin expected it already after Eunbi’s orientation last time. The management prepared masks for the restaurant staff too, they were also required to wear a mask. And it wasn’t like Yujin was complaining, it was her job. Once, she had to wear a dinosaur onesie while serving because that was the theme — it was the 7th birthday of a chaebol’s son. She loved that though, it was quite fun.

 

She waited for her co-workers to pick theirs before she picked her mask. Without thinking much, she grabbed the dark blue one, and went out of the way so the others behind her could grab one.

 

Yujin went to the side, checking the mask — it was just a simple dark blue glittered mask with a fluffy faded blue colored feather. Cute. She wore it on her face, covering her eyes and nose, leaving her lower half of her face exposed. Hmm, she could definitely wear it for a night.

 

“It’s not that bad,” A voice could be heard from her side, and Yujin turned around, she was greeted by her co-worker, Rei — who was smiling sheepishly at her. “You look great, dude.” She complimented innocently.

 

Snorting, Yujin fixed her mask properly. “Same for you, dork. Don’t sneak another brownie again. It’s for exclusive people only.” She said, and Rei let out a sharp gasp, looking around frantically in panic which made Yujin giggle darkly.

 

Rei slapped her arm lightly. “Shh! It’s our secret,” harshly whispered the Japanese woman. Then there was a beat of silence. “No promises. The brownies today look more delicious than the last time.”

 

Yujin just let out a silent laugh. Of course, she made friends here. Rei was one of her closest friends slash co-workers. They started to work here at the same time. She was from Japan but had been living in Korea for two years already because of her studies since she got a scholarship offer here. She was attending the same university as her but she was a year younger, therefore, she was a year lower than Yujin. She was working to help pay off her necessities and rent.

 

“Be sneakier then, unnie.”

 

Rei and Yujin turned to the owner of the voice. It was Hyunseo. The girl was smirking at Rei as she wore her pink mask. The Japanese woman glared at the newcomer, pressing her index finger against her lips to gesture to her to stay quiet about the little secret.

 

Hyunseo started working two months after Yujin started to work. She was the youngest waitress in the restaurant — the girl was just eighteen but she was the niece of the owner of the hotel restaurant that was why she was immediately accepted; she was a great waitress anyway. She was bubbly and energetic. Unlike her and Rei who were working to get some money — Hyunseo was working in the restaurant out of fun and so she could experience something new. She was just going to work for a month or so in ELEVEN at first but she came to enjoy working so she stayed.

 

The younger girl just giggled because Rei looked constipated. Hyunseo was also a friend of Yujin here in work, and life — to be honest. Outside the restaurant, she didn’t have friends; her classmates were just pretty much acquaintances. But her close co-workers — Yujin saw them as her friends. They all hung out outside work too and stuck quite close together.

 

Rei, Hyunseo, and Yena (who was not serving for the event) were her close friends.

 

Before they could even chit chat or gossip about something, Eunbi came back, wearing her mask — looking at a notepad. “Alright. The guests will be here soon. You guys know the drill.” She announced, and the workers started to prepare their own selves. “Let’s go.”

 

Yujin did her own thing. It wasn’t too busy so she managed to sneak up a short conversation with Hyunseo. She mostly just served the alcoholic beverages, and poured wine to the guests’ glasses — guided them to the restroom, and tended to their needs. It was a pretty peaceful and classy night; everyone behaved quite nicely as expected.

 

She was in awe at the guests. Their faces were covered but damn, they were all appealing — they were emitting this classy, professional aura that Yujin couldn’t pinpoint and it was quite attractive. But then, some of them were cabin crew. They eluded charming, pleasant vibes. They were all soft-spoken too, asking her for some wine or tequila with a husky, gentle voice.

 

However, one person caught her attention.

 

Yujin was serving tables when her eyes landed on a particular table. There were three women sitting at one table, chatting and drinking away. Despite the masks covering half of their faces, Yujin was sure that they were all drop-dead gorgeous and majestically beautiful.

 

But there was this certain woman at that table; she was wearing a fierce red gown — it wasn’t too eye-catching and just simple but the one who was wearing it was something else. A head turner that even Yujin couldn’t help but to stare, her gaze lingering on her from time to time.

 

The woman was flawless in her off-shoulders, sleeveless red gown. And Yujin was enthralled instantly, feeling drawn by her aura and figure alone — so attractive even from afar. An instant crush bloomed.

 

She was just simply eye-catching and Yujin knew under that black mask, she was a whole goddess. Her existence screamed, ‘beauty’ and ‘elegance’, from the way she talked with her friends, from the way she gently grabbed the wine glass, from taking a sip from her drink. Everything about her was just simply magnificent.

 

An hour through the event, it was getting lovely and going smoothly. Yujin would throw occasional glances at the woman who caught her attention that night, and she noticed that she was drinking a lot — seriously, it looked like she wanted to down the whole bottle of whiskey in one go. What a drunkie.

 

There was a sudden opportunity, she was going to serve them. She was free, and at the side, waiting for the guests to call over to her and ask her for something. She then saw someone waving from that certain table, and much to her shock, it was the gorgeous masked stranger. Yujin looked around, realizing that everyone was busy and she was the only one free — she hurried over the table, almost stumbling forward.

 

She went over the table, halting in front of them, trying not to stare at the masked beauty near her. And wow, this woman was… way appealing close up. Yujin hesitated to even walk closer because she was intimidated by her aura. But even if she was a few steps away, she could smell whiskey and wine mixed with expensive perfumes.

 

“Stop it, you’re drunk,” One of the women called out; this woman was wearing a blue gown, and looking concerned for her friend. Yujin couldn’t see her expression well but the worried tone gave away.

 

The other one in a yellow gown huffed, “Yes. Yuna is right, stop drinking, unnie. You’re wasted. We can’t take you home later…”

 

The woman in the red gown guffawed, and wow, Yujin was slightly taken aback because even her laugh was gorgeous and melodic, a sweet music to her ears. “It’s alright, it’s alright,” She responded, a little bit slurred but her voice was enticing; husky but there was softness at the side. “I already told you. I’ll be fine. Hyewon will fetch me.” added the woman, giggling.

 

Yujin was stunned at her voice as she awkwardly stood by their table, hands behind her as she waited patiently for them, not wanting to pipe in their conversation. Finally, the one wearing a blue gown — Yuna — noticed her, also the other one. Yujin lit up, clearing .

 

“What can I get for you?” asked the waitress in a soft voice, a little bit conscious of her looks especially because she got two beautiful ladies’ attention. The one in red didn’t look at her though, just inspecting the bottle of wine if there was more but it was empty.

 

“A whole bottle of wine, please,” The beautiful masked stranger murmured, pushing the empty bottle away from her — even though she was obviously tipsy, her posture remained straight and elegant.

 

Yujin’s eyes shifted to the other women, giving them a sign if she should fetch them another bottle of wine. She saw them sigh, shake their heads in defeat, pouting at their friend so Yujin took it as a cue to leave to get them the wine.

 

She placed the opened wine on the table, and excused herself, much to her dismay — she couldn’t stay there for too long. Someone asked her for a serving of food so she immediately did it, still stealing glances at the woman in her beautiful red gown, downing the wine.

 

The night went deeper and Yujin noticed that one of the girls at the table was nowhere to be seen now, the one in yellow gown. She must’ve gone home, leaving the other two behind. While she was serving some food to the other airline staff, she heard a laugh from a distance — it was getting constant and Yujin would always look in that direction to check.

 

The masked stranger laughed again then took a long sip from her wine, harder and louder this time, earning some attention from the other guests. The exposed part of her face and neck was red, obviously drunk now. Her moves were sluggish too, and she had already accidentally pushed an empty wine bottle over the edge earlier until it fell from the table. Yeah, that woman was drunk.

 

A little later, Yujin noticed that the tall woman in a blue gown stood up from her seat, still talking to the beautiful masked stranger about something. She looked reluctant to leave her friend but she looked like she really needed to go. In the end, the girl wearing a blue gown — Yuna, left after. Probably when she heard reassurance from her friend.

 

Yujin would do them a little favor and keep an eye on their drunk friend. She was getting a little bit worried too since it seemed like the beautiful masked stranger was going through something — Yena was like that too, especially when she and her girlfriend, Yuri had a huge fight two months ago.

 

That woman in a red gown; she looked so happy and kept giggling to herself while drinking but… she looked so down and heartbroken. Yujin could tell but she wouldn’t want to assume.

 

The night went deeper and most of the guests were home now, and the workers were already cleaning up, including Yujin. But still, the beauty was there at her seat, downing her sixth bottle of wine. Yujin was really getting worried but she wouldn’t want to look creepy so she was just looking after her from afar — Eunbi kept checking the drunk guest out of concern too.

 

She was then tasked to bring some stacks of dirty plates to the kitchen. But when she was about to go back, she felt the urge to use the bathroom. Eunbi was probably there to keep a close eye on that woman. Nothing bad would happen to her.

 

Yujin went to the bathroom, feeling a little bit exhausted. It was already almost midnight, and thankfully, she didn’t have school tomorrow nor other stuff to do since it was winter break. She took off her mask, brushing off her drenched bangs. She was a little bit sweaty after that even though it was really cold.

 

After relieving herself, she went over the sink and started to wash her hands when suddenly, the door of one of the stalls burst open harshly which made her jolt in her spot.

 

The waitress looked behind her out of curiosity, turning off the running faucet, and much to her shock, it was the woman in the red gown, leaning against the door and about to fall onto the floor. The one who had Yujin was crushing on and staring at throughout the night. Surprised, Yujin immediately went over to help the woman get onto her feet properly.

 

“Hey, miss, are you okay?” Yujin asked, a little bit panicky.

 

The woman just whined softly then let out a sleepy scoff. Yujin was a little bit strong so she managed to keep her off the dirty, cold tiled floor — she supported the woman who was surprisingly heavier than she looked, and let her lean against the wall.

 

“Miss?” Yujin called again but no response, just humming drunkenly. Oh god, she was wasted as hell! She could smell a strong scent of whiskey and wine from her, with expensive smooth vanilla. Yujin became a little bit weaker after she realized she was touching the beautiful masked woman, and they were so close to each other that the waitress felt burning all over.

 

Yujin shrugged it off, collecting herself before she tried to call again but the woman just kept snoring and humming, slurring incoherent drunk noises. Yujin concluded that this woman was totally wasted and hopeless.

 

With a sigh, Yujin decided to carry her on her back. She struggled a bit but she managed. She also grabbed the woman’s purse and slung it around her shoulder. Grunting, Yujin held her by her thighs. She was blushing furiously but she knew it wasn’t the right time, she needed to take this woman home.

 

Yujin immediately placed the wasted woman on the chair after carrying her out of the bathroom. She panted lightly, wiping off the beads of sweat clinging on her forehead. The woman in the red gown stayed motionless, slumped on the chair but still, she looked so elegant. She looked dead but she was still breathing, Yujin was relieved.

 

She kneeled before the woman and started to ask again, trying to wake her up but to no avail, the woman remained unresponsive, just breathing softly, indicating that she was sleeping. Yujin pouted after countless fruitless attempts. With a sigh, she stood from her spot and called her manager to talk about it.

 

However, Eunbi looked busy because there was a problem in the kitchen. She just looked over at Minjoo and gave Yujin a pointed look. “I’ll leave her to you. You can leave now.” And left like that, Yujin stood there dumbfounded.

 

She couldn’t ask for any help from her friends because they were busy cleaning up the place. Unsure of what to do, she just asked Hyunseo to keep an eye on the drunk woman while she changed into her casual clothing. The girl just nodded, a little bit confused but did not ask.

 

Yujin changed quickly and grabbed her things before coming back. The beautiful masked stranger was still there, slumped against the table now, and using her arms as a cushion. With a sigh, she gently opened the woman’s purse to check if there was something that could help her but there was nothing but her phone and wallet.

 

She knew it was bad to rummage through her belongings but Yujin was desperate now since this woman wasn’t responding at all and dead drunk. When she opened the phone, she was greeted by a picture of the sky. No notification and there was a passcode. Frustrated, she placed the phone back in her purse and checked the wallet but much to her surprise — there was just a wad of cash and no IDs.

 

With a sigh, Yujin placed the wallet back to the purse, defeated. Damn, she needed to get this woman home but she did not know her address at all. Or even name, the heck! There were no guests left either so she couldn’t ask around. Christ.

 

“Miss, hey,” Yujin tried once more. “Can you tell me your address so I can take you home? Miss…” She shook her shoulders but the woman just groaned and hissed at her sleepily, and that was it.

 

Out of option, she collected the woman up, helping her stand up with her support — wrapping her arm around the other woman’s slim waist and let her drape the latter’s arm around her shoulders before holding it. With that, they left the venue with a little bit of struggle; her workmates just looked at her, amused, some even whistled which made her growl.

 

They exited the lobby of the hotel, and Yujin was already getting even more tired, and she was experiencing difficulty. Fortunately, there were taxis near the entrance and she immediately hailed one. The driver helped her put the stranger inside the cab.

 

With a deep breath, Yujin also went inside and sat beside the sleeping drunk woman who was leaning against the window, sleeping still. She stared at her.

 

“Where to, miss?” The driver asked, waiting for her response.

 

Yujin eyed the woman again for a few seconds before ultimately making a decision. She glanced at the driver and answered her address. It looked like this beautiful masked woman had nowhere to go… she didn’t have any choice. She couldn’t just leave her in the venue alone, drunk and sleeping in such uncomfortable clothes.

 

She was just doing this out of concern. She was never going to take advantage of her even though Yujin was enticed by her; she was just being kind. But she hoped that the woman’s phone would ring but it did not — it looked like this woman just lied earlier when she said that someone would fetch her so her friends would not worry.

 

They arrived at her small studio-type apartment with a little bit of difficulty and with her remaining strength, she carried the drunk woman up to her room.

 

Once she had managed to gently place the sleeping masked woman into her bed, Yujin let out a sharp intake of breath. Goodness. She really had a hard time. But she was relieved once she managed to put her on her bed.

 

With a sigh, Yujin massaged her temples. She was so drowsy and so tired but she couldn’t leave the woman like this — her outfit looked so uncomfortable. After changing into her sleeping clothes, Yujin immediately went to the sleeping woman who was snoring softly and took off her heels gently then placed them on the side. Yujin noticed that there were red marks on the back of her ankles, which must be from her shoes.

 

Next up, Yujin gently took off the mask the woman was wearing and goodness, her breath was taken away alongside with the mask. She was stunned once again. Even though the stranger was sleeping, she looked like an angel, a sleeping beauty. Yujin even malfunctioned, she couldn’t even find the right term to describe this goddess’ beauty. It was simply out of the world.

 

Exquisite.

 

Before Yujin could even stare longer and worship her, she looked away, and tried to find something that the woman could wear. And there was when she just realized she had to undress her. Lord, Yujin was just doing this out of kindness. She swore! She wouldn’t open her eyes! That would be the greatest sin. Yujin wouldn’t look without her consent.

 

Mustering some strength and courage, Yujin could only bash her head to her cabinet, groaning in slight pain and frustration. She wanted to cry. She wanted to explode. She couldn’t handle this . She never quite expected that this would happen ever.

 

***

 

When Minjoo woke up, she was greeted by a head-splitting headache. Goodness! She drank too much last night. Now, she was suffering from a major hangover and she just wanted to jump off the cliff. Forgive her oh lord, it would never happen again, she wouldn’t drink again!

 

After trying to calm herself down, and once the unbearable pain in her head subsided a bit, she took a deep breath, and groaned against the pillows. She was about to sleep again and hoped for the best when she picked up on something — her bed was a little bit … harder, and the pillows, the sheets — they didn’t smell like her. It smelled like coffee. And she could sniff some bacon and eggs too, there were distinct frying noises from the side.

 

That made Minjoo sit up from the unfamiliar bed, ignoring the pounding headache. She was greeted by the sight of a very unfamiliar small room, her eyes wide. And when she looked around, she spotted a figure by the kitchen.

 

Minjoo’s heart really stopped because she realized that she was in a stranger’s home!

 

The woman, judging by the slim but tall figure, and long hair tied up in a bun — turned around, and their eyes met. The latter also froze when she saw her awake but collected herself immediately, throwing an awkward smile as she stood there by the small kitchen, holding a plate, and wearing an apron.

 

“G-Good morning, miss.” The stranger greeted her with an awkward dimpled grin.

 

Minjoo’s blood ran cold. “Oh my god!” She exclaimed, panicking. “Where the hell am I? Who the hell are you!?” She was going hysterical. Oh my god. She did not just sleep with someone, right? Look, this stranger was charming and attractive but hell no! She then realized that she wasn’t wearing her gown but a shirt that was too big for her. She shrieked. “What did you do to me!?”

 

The poor stranger was taken aback, surprised at her outburst and tried to calm her down. “W-Wait, miss. Please relax, I—”

 

“How can I? I’m literally on a stranger’s bed, and house! I don’t know you! I couldn’t remember everything from last night!? What the hell happened?”

 

Minjoo continued to panic. The stranger tried her best to calm her down though. Until finally, Minjoo just found herself sitting on the chair across this cute stranger, sulking a bit. She was embarrassed but at the same time so clueless and helpless, she couldn’t remember the events from last night — everything was too blurry, except for the time when Yuna and Wonyoung kept telling her to stop drinking, and she had to lie that her cousin would fetch her.

 

They sat in awkward silence, and Minjoo was uncomfortably shifting on her seat, already feeling a little bit better but still not completely calm. But damn, Minjoo was already salivating because of the aroma coming from the food presented right before her. It looked absolutely delicious but she was still trying to figure it out if there was poison in it. Even though this stranger was such a cutie and looked like a golden retriever pup, she wouldn’t trust her easily! Yes, yes! Don’t trust her words easily.

 

Finally, the taller woman realized that Minjoo wouldn’t speak first to start a conversation so she gave her a crooked smile. “So, I’m Ahn Yujin.” She introduced herself, and Minjoo finally learned this stranger’s name. Yujin. Noted.

 

“May I know your name?” The woman asked after a beat of silence.

 

Suppressing a huff, Minjoo breathed out, “Minjoo.”

 

Yujin scratched her cheek first before continuing, “So, Minjoo-ssi, I work at ELEVEN as a server. The hotel restaurant, you know? Where the staff of Swan Airline celebrated this christmas masquerade themed party,” She continued to explain and Minjoo was getting enlightened bit by bit so she just nodded timidly, waiting for her to continue explaining.

 

“You were absolutely wasted last night,” Yujin said softly, and Minjoo’s eyes narrowed. Truth. She was definitely wasted. “I tried everything but you wouldn’t wake up and just kept slurring out words that I couldn’t understand. Your friends left you, and the other guests so I was clueless. You don’t even have an ID with you. My boss told me to take care of you. I was left without any choice, so I brought you here in my apartment.”

 

Minjoo bit her inner cheek. She was believing, she was getting a few bits of memories already. Everything was starting to get clearer and clearer. This stranger had no harmful intention, she just freaked out because of course — who wouldn’t?

 

Minjoo was about to open when Yujin beat her to do it, raising her arms mid-air. “I did not touch you, we did not do anything. You were asleep the whole time in my bed and I slept on the floor. I changed you into more comfortable clothes because the gown looked so uncomfy and throughout, I closed my eyes! I swear,” Yujin answered Minjoo’s questions in mind all at once, instantly making her speechless.

 

Yujin’s voice even became softer, and her gaze became gentler. “Seriously. I have no bad intentions, Minjoo-ssi. I don’t want to leave you in the venue just like that or in the streets. I don’t know who to call.” She said, and bit her lower lip, what an innocent puppy.

 

Minjoo’s heart warmed, and she couldn’t help but to stare at this woman. Surely, Yujin was definitely younger than her, and the notebooks, books, papers scattered around the desk gave a way that she must be still attending university. The only thing Minjoo could pick up from this woman — her intention was out of pure kindness. She looked like she wouldn’t even harm a fly. And she was cute, really cute.

 

Silence engulfed them. Yujin was looking at her warily, unsure of what to do. Minjoo pursed her lips, and her eyes landed on the food before her then glanced at Yujin again. “I believe you, Yujin-ssi. Thank you, really. You’re my hero.” She sincerely said, and Yujin instantly blushed. “So, can we eat now?” Minjoo was starving.

 

Yujin nodded eagerly, “Yes, please. Dig in. So you can drink the medicine I prepared for your hangover.”

 

Breakfast with Yujin was surprisingly … light and nice. The taller woman was talkative and friendly — and Minjoo was instantly comfortable around her warm aura. They talked as they ate their meals wholeheartedly.

 

Minjoo revealed that she just lied to her friends so they would shut up but she was really out of plan and just wanted to drink until she couldn’t anymore. Yujin was a little bit upset over that because why would she lie… if she wasn’t the one who took care of her, only god knew what could’ve happened to her.

 

Yujin didn’t ask further about it though but she looked like she wanted to ask something. They exchanged words and they learned a little bit about each other. Minjoo was surprisingly into it, ironic for someone who was freaking out because of this stranger earlier — Yujin was just fun to talk with, she was bubbly.

 

Yujin was just twenty-one years old, working part time in ELEVEN to make ends meet and a graduating student majoring in Business Management at a nearby university, also a scholar. She was originally from Gwangju but she did not elaborate on it further and Minjoo did not dare to ask further because after saying that, the other woman suddenly went gloomy.

 

It was her turn to talk about herself so she immediately told her age — twenty-seven, she was six years older than this woman and Minjoo was actually a little bit surprised.

 

For some reason, Yujin looked mature, and she had this mature vibe around her despite looking young and childish. As if she knew a lot in life and experienced a lot more difficulties than Minjoo in her entire years of existence in this world. Minjoo did not pry on it further. She did not really feel the between them as they conversed, it felt like she was talking to someone just a year younger or two — Yujin was soft-spoken and gentle, very charming without her knowing too.

 

Yujin wasn’t too surprised when Minjoo revealed that she was working as a flight attendant in Swan Airlines but she was amazed, asking about stuff since she had never flown outside Korea yet. She looked excited as she asked Minjoo about the places she had visited all around the world — Minjoo responded with equal enthusiasm as Yujin since she was passionate about travelling.

 

Minjoo had already told Yujin to drop formalities and now, they were calling each other comfortably. The younger woman also told her to take a shower first before going home and would just lend her clothes, Minjoo happily did. And to be honest, while in the bathroom, Minjoo was blushing and a little bit flushed because it felt so domestic…

 

But then, she felt a little bit sad because she used to be like this with — no, let’s not think of that person, Kim Minjoo. that rascal. The dull ache visited her again; the person was the reason why she drank all day because that crap had the guts to text her again two days ago after eight months of silence. After all of that .

 

Minjoo was in a good mood despite what happened this morning and last night. She couldn’t let that woman ruin it. Again.

 

Yujin lended her another set of clothes and Minjoo was literally red as she wore the shirt that was a little bit too big for her frame. Yujin was taller than her so of course the clothes wouldn’t fit but it looked nice, it looked oversized. She had given Minjoo a pair of smaller shoes too. Yujin even shared the story behind the shoes; she ordered the wrong size, thankfully she kept it, knowing it would become handy in the future.

 

It was a little bit sad, Minjoo didn’t know but she still wanted to spend time with this kind stranger that saved her . So, Minjoo immediately asked Yujin if she wanted some coffee and unsurprisingly, Yujin did not refuse, nodding eagerly at the mention of coffee.

 

They went together at a nearby cafe, and ordered some drinks — they continued to talk. Minjoo ignored the ringing of her phone from her purse, and sipped her favorite matcha latte a little slower because she knew once she finished her drink, she would need to go home.

 

She liked talking to Yujin. She enjoyed talking to this woman. Yujin was lovely.

 

However, of course, things end. Yujin walked her to the bus stop after an hour, and handed her bag where her gown and heels were placed. Minjoo had really grown comfortable around the younger woman, she was really something else. She would love to talk to her more. Yujin had a lot of stories in store and she was great at conversing.

 

“Can I get your number?” Minjoo found herself asking, blurting out as they waited for the next bus. Yujin blinked, a little bit stunned but she immediately said her number anyway while Minjoo rapidly typed it, saving Yujin’s number. She placed back her phone into her purse, satisfied. “Expect messages from me, I guess. Thank you, really, Yujin. I’ll wash your clothes and give them back to you as soon as possible.”

 

Yujin shook her head, “It’s okay, unnie. You can keep it. You look great in my clo— cough, you look g-great!” She stammered, turning into a tomato.

 

Minjoo suppressed the grin threatening to form in her lips, she noticed the slip, of course. She just giggled and nodded, and the bus was finally there, making her pucker lips a bit. “Thank you, Yujin. I’ll make sure to pay you back.”

 

The younger woman scratched her head. “Thank you is enough, unnie. And you’ve been thanking me a lot and bought me coffee so it’s all good.”

 

Minjoo narrowed her gaze and Yujin flinched. “Still. It’s not enough, for me, that is.” She said, and the bus finally stopped in front of the shed, the doors opening so the older woman took a step backwards. “See you soon, Yujin.” She bid her goodbye, flashing a toothy grin. The reddening ears of Yujin did not go unnoticed to Minjoo’s eyes as she went inside the bus and sat by the window so she could still see the younger woman.

 

Yujin just stood by the shed, staring at her with a smile, and once the bus started to move — she waved at Minjoo from there, and of course, Minjoo eagerly waved back a goodbye, swallowing her disappointment. She just knew Yujin for a day but she somehow felt so extremely comfortable around her and attached. Maybe it was because Yujin was just warm and literally a ball of sunshine.

 

All Minjoo knew was she would definitely see her again real soon. Unconsciously, she fixed Yujin’s jacket then reached for the collar of Yujin’s white tee and took a light sniff, the scent of lavender with a hint of coffee at the side — invading her smelling senses. She got a little bit dizzy from the pleasant smell. Yujin’s scent was comforting.

 

Yujin was comforting.

 

***

 

Yujin was walking home, her mind in the gutter, when her phone suddenly vibrated. She checked it and was surprised to see it was from an unknown number, she opened it — and the message made her instantly smile.

 

From: Unknown Number

 

Thank you again. Yes, this will be the nth time that I thanked you and it’s not enough! Have a great day ahead, Yujin. Let’s see each other soon.

 

There was nothing wrong being friends with your crush, yes?

 

***

 

Yujin and Minjoo texted each other frequently after that. It had been two weeks already and they grew closer through messaging each other whenever they were not busy. It even went to the point where Minjo started to send pictures of the sky from the window of the plane, or herself in her flight attendant outfit.

 

Those pictures always made Yujin blush because it always came from nowhere, and was so random. Thankfully, Yujin was always on breaks whenever she checked her phone or else, she might mess up doing her job big time because Kim Minjoo was stunning and distracting.

 

Her friends were pretty much updated at what was happening, especially Yena. They loved to to that ‘pretty flight attendant’ crush of hers.

 

She was really excited talking with the older woman, especially whenever she sent pictures of the views of the country where she was currently at. Last time, Minjoo was in Paris and they had a few hours to roam around — she sent her a picture of the Eiffel Tower. Minjoo promised that she would take her there because it was beautiful.

 

Damn, Minjoo shouldn’t promise stuff like that because Yujin was bad at promises. Would Yujin even hope?

 

Both of them learned a lot about each other. Random facts, anecdotes. Yujin did her best to keep the topic of family away since she didn’t want Minjoo to learn that she got disowned because she was a what? Gay. Embarrassing. Minjoo looked like a straight woman too, she was definitely going to stop talking to Yujin if she ever learned about her uality.

 

That was why Yujin wasn’t expecting or hoping that this little friendship would grow into something more. She was content having a big fat crush on the flight attendant and talking to her like friends. Minjoo was out of her league anyway.

 

It was okay. It wouldn’t bloom into anything more.

 

Yujin was cleaning one of the tables when another customer went inside the restaurant. It was a lazy day. Monday, and it was just around two in the afternoon — there were just three customers present in the resto.

 

So much to Yujin’s shock when the newcomer was a familiar face. Her heart leaped when she was greeted by someone who she hadn’t seen aside from pictures for weeks now. It was Minjoo, who else?

 

The flight attendant was standing by the entrance, one of the waiters smiling happily at her, and asking if she was going to get a table for one or something. Yujin could distinctly hear the older woman telling that only one. The waitress took the rag and folded it neatly, rushing to the side to place the rag there before running to Minjoo.

 

As she approached the table where Minjoo was sitting, she couldn’t help but to check her out; the older woman was wearing a white polo shirt with the sleeves rolled until her elbows, denim pants, sneakers, her jacket slung over the vacant chair beside her — her hair was tied up into a bun, and her side bang resting on the side of her face. She was just wearing light make-up but as expected, still the most beautiful in Yujin’s eyes.

 

Yujin felt her world stop for a moment, and she was struck when Minjoo turned her head and their eyes met. She witnessed how Minjoo’s honey orbs lit up at the sight of the waitress — a smile instantly forming on her glossy lips.

 

There was a paper bag beside her leg, and she saw the familiar print of her spare jacket that she lent to Minjoo when she went home from her apartment weeks ago. It looked like she was here to give them back.

 

“Hi there, it’s been a while.” Minjoo greeted her with a cheeky smile.

 

Yujin grinned at her, spotting Hyunseo at her peripheral vision, giving her a look as she slowly wiped the table beside them. Also some of her nosy workers were glancing. But she ignored them, focusing entirely on this woman in front of her. “You never told me that you’ll drop by. No heads up?” asked the waitress, standing in front of Minjoo.

 

Minjoo let out a chuckle, “Surprise? It’s my day-off so I used it to give the clothes you lent to me.” She said, and looked around the lavish restaurant. “And I’ve never dined here. I want to taste the restaurant’s famous steak.” added the woman, then grabbed the menu from the table.

 

Yujin giggled, nodding as she took her notepad and pen from her vest. “You did your research nicely. Alright. ELEVEN signature ribeye steak? How about side dishes? Drink?” asked the woman.

 

Minjoo answered fries and iced tea but before Yujin could even go away with her order, she stopped her then asked, “Can you sit with me? Get yourself some food too, it’s on me. If that’s allowed, that is.” She said, and her eyes became sparkly, her lips pouting. “Your customer feels alone so I guess your manager will allow this, right?” She was hopeful.

 

It was actually fine, the resto wasn’t busy too anyway and for sure, Eunbi would let her. She still hadn’t taken her short break anyway. With a firm nod, Yujin went to the kitchen to give Minjoo’s order and asked for a ham sandwich and lemonade for herself. She then went to Eunbi’s office to ask her about that but as expected, Eunbi just waved her off.

 

Soon, Yujin was seated across Minjoo as they ate this… late lunch? Minjoo looked happy eating her food which made Yujin giggle every time. Minjoo’s eyes would widen and she would make a very weird, impressed face whenever she would take a bite. It was funny and amusing at the same time.

 

They talked as usual, catching up with each other. Minjoo also gifted her some souvenirs from other countries. Yujin loved the refrigerator magnet of little Eiffel.

 

Yujin ignored the stares of her co-workers. Some were amused, some were envious, some were confused, some were adoration. But she couldn’t care less and just ate with Minjoo happily. Soon enough, Minjoo finished her meal and she needed to go, much to Yujin’s dismay but then, that disappointment did not last when Minjoo suddenly said something.

 

“There’s this newly opened cafe of my friend,” Minjoo started off after damping the cloth on her lips gently then placed it away, “Wanna go, coffee lover? I have no work next weekend.”

 

Yujin would never dare to say ‘no’. She knew it was dangerous especially now that she could feel something… something blooming inside her heart. She knew she should pull away while it was still early but no, she was lured. She was willingly lured.

 

With a toothy grin, “What time?” Yujin asked.

 

***

 

Their friendly date went on as expected, and they grew closer. They also never stopped messaging each other. It went on for two months, and they would hang out whenever both of them weren’t too busy with their lives.

 

At this point, Minjoo became a regular at ELEVEN already and refused anyone to serve her unless it was Yujin or her friends. Since Yujin’s friends loved to poke their noses in her business, it wasn’t surprising that they became close to the flight attendant too. Not that too close but close enough for them to comfortably talk to each other.

 

They all knew that Yujin had a crush on Minjoo — Yujin was out to her friends — and they were pushing the waitress to the flight attendant. It was getting annoying, actually. Yujin had no absolute plans confessing to the woman and ruin their friendship all at once? Hell no!

 

Minjoo would only smile at them sweetly if her friends were being a little s. Hopefully, Minjoo won’t get weirded out.

 

Currently, Minjoo was eating at ELEVEN with her friends, Wonyoung and Yuna. They were her workmates and they were all flight attendants of Swan Airlines. Minjoo introduced them to Yujin one day when the three of them ate at the restaurant. Wonyoung and Yuna were grateful of what she did to their best friend and kept spoiling her as a ‘gift’. It was a little bit flabbergasting for Yujin’s part, she was always flushed around the flight attendants.

 

They were all older than her, Wonyoung was twenty-three while Yuna was twenty-four. Who wouldn’t be so flustered when three pretty older women kept spoiling you? Whenever they were eating at ELEVEN, they would tip big for Yujin. After all, they were employed women — rich, beautiful flight attendants.

 

Currently, they were at the restaurant again to eat late dinner. They just got off from their work — they just flew across three countries for only one day, and Yujin could see the exhaustion in their eyes but still, they all looked fresh and pretty as usual. They went there straight from the airport after they got off from their shifts, wearing their nice flight attendant outfits that earned a lot of attention.

 

That was the first time Yujin saw Minjoo wearing her working outfit in person and damn, she looked really good. The gayness within her jumped out. For some reason, Yujin felt dry up real quick when her eyes landed on Minjoo’s neck that was wrapped with a scarf, like a choker. It was so attractive.

 

Minjoo had her hair tied up into a neat bun, wearing a clean white shirt and dark blazer with a badge of the logo of Swan Airlines, pencil skirt that reached above the knees that hugged her figure perfectly. She was wearing three-inches heels this time, and she looked comfortable — and so attractive. Yujin almost tripped on her way to their table because she was staring too much and was so distracted.

 

“Here’s your order,” Yujin shyly announced and gave them their orders, trying not to blush because the three were looking at her intently, watching her movements carefully. “Please, enjoy.”

 

Wonyoung giggled, throwing a wink. “We’ll definitely enjoy it. The server is cute.” She playfully said, chuckling afterwards, ignoring Minjoo’s glare across the table.

 

Yujin just gave the youngest flight attendant a tight smile then excused herself, briefly meeting eyes with Minjoo who was giving her an apologetic look. Actually, the waitress should really get used to it. They were naturally playful and flirty, especially Wonyoung. Yujin was not uncomfortable though, it was just that… she was weak around pretty girls. Wonyoung was just two years older than her, the closest in her age so she felt comfortable around her but then, it was really surprising because of the playful flirtatious advances and words.

 

Yujin would instantly become a shy teenager if pretty girls were being nice to her. But she knew there was no meaning behind it — the three of them were definitely straight girls.

 

***

 

Minjoo’s eyes followed Yujin’s retreating figure, and couldn’t help but to admire those broad shoulders. Her trance was broken when Yuna said something as she sliced her steak.

 

“She’s really cute.” She commented, taking a sliced meat into .

 

Wonyoung giggled girlishly, elegantly slicing the steak as she gave Yuna a pointed look, “She is. I love her reactions whenever I say something.” She said, smiling.

 

That made Minjoo frown a bit but she did not respond to anything, also digging in. She was famished. Her friends then looked at her, she ignored them, and continued to eat while thinking of how she should ask Yujin to go with her to the cafe she found on the internet.

 

“What do you think of Yujin, unnie?” Wonyoung asked out of the blue and Minjoo almost choked.

 

“She’s great,” Minjoo answered after calming down. “She’s cute, and fun to talk with. She’s just a whole golden retriever pup, getting excited over little things.” She continued, a smile forming on her lips then shook her head in amusement. “I’m glad I met her, really.”

 

There was a beat of silence before Yuna spoke after wiping her lips with the table napkin.

 

“Are you interested in her in that way, unnie? Did she catch your attention?”

 

Minjoo choked on her steak for real this time. Her friends grimaced at the sudden disgusting act. She looked at Yuna, wide-eyed. “What?” She asked in disbelief. She was interested in Yujin?

 

Yuna sighed, shaking her head. “Do you like her, unnie? That young girl is so into you.”

 

Minjoo noticed it actually. That there might be a chance that Yujin was gay as well and she was having a crush on her. Minjoo was all too familiar with the looks that Yujin would give her, and sure, it did… also have an effect on her but that was just it.

 

“Yujin is only a friend. That’s all. A great company.” Minjoo insisted, and continued to eat. It was the truth. She didn’t like Yujin in that way… besides, even if she did like Yujin — she wouldn’t dare to date her. Not when Minjoo wasn’t interested in those kinds of stuff anymore.

 

Yuna and Wonyoung looked at her before they shrugged and continued to eat. Wonyoung spoke after though, “Just make sure, unnie. She’s too… young. And you know, you’re still in the process of healing and moving on from Who-Shall-Not-Be-Mentioned.” She said, snorting. Yuna only nodded.

 

Minjoo could only sigh and shake her head softly, her gaze finding Yujin, and spotted the woman greeting the newcomers with a dimpled smile, whipping her notepad as she wrote down the list of orders. She looked passionate and lovely. Minjoo admired this girl a lot.

 

But this… admiration was just something innocent and friendly. Not romantic.

 

Yeah, it was. Definitely…

 

***

 

The frequent hang out and texts or calls remained the same for the next few months. Although it wasn’t frequent like the early times since they were both busy, with Yujin graduating that year — she was too busy juggling up studies and her work so she wasn’t able to message Minjoo a lot. Minjoo was the same, still busy flying around the world.

 

Even so, they would still meet once a month at least, to check out some cafes and bakeries around the city.

 

But lately, even though Yujin was too busy with her life — she noticed that Minjoo was a lot more stressed and exhausted as usual. Minjoo would sometimes open up to her about how tiring everything was and Yujin could only listen to her rants attentively. It was frustrating since Yujin wanted to help the woman she likes.

 

Yes, she likes. It wasn’t a mere crush anymore, that was for sure. Yujin had long accepted that she was hopelessly into Kim Minjoo, the drunk girl she had just saved and let her sleep on her bed. It was hard, considering that Minjoo was clingy and Yujin couldn’t calm down but she was able to hold on. It was enough for her to admire her from the side.

 

So, one night when they were talking to each other, and Minjoo was talking about having a bad day because a person in flight argued with her with some stupid — Yujin impulsively sent an offer, “Do you want to go to the beach?” She blurted out.

 

“The beach?” Minjoo repeated, and that was when everything sunk into Yujin’s brain.

 

Embarrassed, Yujin elaborated further, “Well, I’m planning to visit Jeju next month, after my graduation. I really want to go there and see the beach. I’ve been saving for that trip. It’s like my celebration that, yeah, I finally graduated…” She cleared afterwards. “And if you want, you can tag along.”

 

Yujin was a nervous-wreck, she was slapping herself mentally. That was a bold move. Her heart was pounding rapidly when there was a silence from the other line. But then, her heart skipped a beat when she heard a response from Minjoo.

 

“I would love that.”

 

***

 

The plane where Minjoo and Yujin were riding to Jeju Island landed in the afternoon. They hailed a cab after they went out of the airport and reached their hotel after a short time — the process was fast since they had reserved one room for the both of them (two beds, of course). Yujin actually told Minjoo that she would just rent another one for herself but Minjoo refused firmly, believing that it was just a waste of money. Defeated and nervous, Yujin just let the older woman decide

 

After that phone call, Minjoo went to ELEVEN the day after to discuss their short trip to Jeju-do. Yujin was taken aback at first since Minjoo was serious and was more excited than her. The flight attendant already filed a three days leave just for their trip after they settled with the date. Yujin had no problems since Eunbi knew her plans already.

 

A week after Yujin’s graduation, they would go to Jeju-do. Just the two of them.

 

Minjoo even gave her a gift and flowers, a graduation gift — she said. And it was a nice coffee maker! Yujin had never been that happy receiving a wonderful gift.

 

Now, they were there. Alone together in Jeju for a short trip.

 

Yujin’s friends kept teasing her relentlessly after the tall woman told about her plans with Minjoo, and she knew after this trip, they would even more.

 

Yuna and Wonyoung actually wanted to tag along after learning about the trip but Minjoo firmly said that they couldn’t since the plan was the trip was just for her and Yujin only. Minjoo said that while Yujin was present so it was a little bit awkward, especially that Yuna and Wonyoung looked surprised and confused after Minjoo’s words of finality.

 

Seriously, Yujin was having mixed feelings. Sure, she was happy that she was able to spend time like this with Minjoo but at the same time, scared. Yujin was feeling overwhelmed being close with the woman she had harboring romantic feelings with. She was afraid that she might explode and confess when things became too much to handle.

 

The afternoon was about to end when they decided to go outside of their hotel room after fixing their things.

 

As expected, Yujin was marveled at the sight of the beach. It was just simply beautiful, and her breath was taken away. It was her second time here in the island, the first time was when they had a family trip when she was around twelve — ever since, she fell in love with Jeju-do. It was good to be back.

 

She looked like an excited puppy as they walked by the shore. Minjoo just kept giggling and kept taking pictures of the view, and Yujin. It wasn’t the flight attendant’s first time there at Jeju Island anyway, it wasn’t the second or the third also. But it was definitely going to be memorable since she was with Yujin.

 

They ate dinner and afterwards, they decided to buy some beers. Drinking in this kind of place was perfect. They walked for a few minutes until they found a perfect spot, it wasn’t too crowded either.

 

Both of them sat on the huge rock, and drank in peace. They talked about life as the mild wind hit them gently, watching the glistening sea, loving the sound of the waves crashing to each other and to the shore. The light talk turned into something heartfelt.

 

“I’m really glad that you brought me here,” Minjoo said, taking a sip from her beer then rested her head on Yujin’s shoulder which made the latter tense but relaxed immediately. “I’ve been here countless times before but... this trip to this place is a lot better than the others because you’re with me.”

 

Yujin’s heart started to rapidly beat, feeling hotness rushing to her face. Minjoo’s close proximity was making her insane, she could feel her warmth. And Yujin… felt like she was at home.

 

“If I didn’t drink with all my might that night, we wouldn’t have met. I’m really grateful that we met, Yujin. Your existence brought colors to my life, somehow.” Minjoo whispered, and Yujin’s grip on the can of her beer tightened.

 

She took a long gup from her beverage, reminding herself that everything was just friendly and Minjoo wasn’t confessing or anything. It didn’t meet anything deep.

 

Yujin could only crack a smile and said, “I’m glad I met you too, unnie. You have no idea…” She whispered, and she heard the older woman chuckling, snuggling to her further. Yujin just welcomed Minjoo’s warmth gladly.

 

They continued to drink and talk until somehow, the topic stumbled into a topic of family. Minjoo looked a little bit wary, and purposely left vague answers about them only. Yujin didn’t pry on it further since the topic of family was also a sensitive topic to her but somehow, she just found herself opening up to Minjoo.

 

The only thing Minjoo didn’t know about Yujin was her family. For some reason, it felt like Minjoo needed to know so Yujin shared about them.

 

“They aren’t distant but they aren’t affectionate. They’re so… strict and love to control me because it’s for the better. It’s annoying, really. I’m suffocated but what can I do?” Yujin whispered, and Minjoo listened to her intently, looking at her with her sparkly doe eyes that made her heart shimmer.

 

“When I found something about me, when I found someone — They… they, well,” Yujin paused to take a breather and Minjoo stared at her worriedly, encouraging her but at the same time, not pushing her but Yujin was determined to out herself to Minjoo.

 

Maybe it was the alcohol so she would take a risk. She felt suffocated around Minjoo too because she was closeted, and her close friend had no idea that she liked… girls. It was definitely the alcohol that gave her courage to do something that freaked her out and would never dare to confess while fully sober.

 

Minjoo was open, she wouldn’t judge her, that was for sure.

 

Yujin took a deep breath and glanced at Minjoo, wary but she continued, “They disowned me because of my uality. I prefer girls over boys, Minjoo. They learned that I had a girlfriend and they disowned me. That’s why I’m living alone in Gangnam, making ends meet. To start a new life.” She revealed, and observed Minjoo’s expression.

 

Much to her surprise, Minjoo did not react negatively. She looked shocked at first, turned into anger then turned into something soft and gentle. There wasn’t a look of disgust. But Yujin was wary and insecure, feeling herself shrink. Ah, god damn it. It was the alcohol’s fault.

 

“You must be disgusted that your friend is… like this.” Yujin felt like she couldn’t breathe, nibbling on her lower lip. The fear was consuming her, and it felt like last year all over again, when her parents learned about her affair with her girl classmate. “I don’t really know how to break it to you. I was afraid but I want you to know this… part of me.” She whispered, scratching her nape nervously, she refused to look at Minjoo.

 

Minjoo’s gaze went even softer, “Yujin-ah,” She called out. “I’m not disgusted. Why would I be? I’m mad at your parents for disowning you because you are just being you.”

 

Yujin felt her heart stop but for some reason, out of blue, she blurted out. “You should be,” She said, in a daze as her eyes looked at the serene view before them. “I like you.” Before she could even stop herself, words rolled out from her tongue just like that.

 

Both of them froze at the sudden confession. Yujin felt her blood run cold. That wasn’t supposed to happen. Confessing was out of her plans!

 

Panicking, Yujin looked at Minjoo who was looking at her, face unreadable. Oh good lord, why was everything turning out into this? She just wanted to have a peaceful trip with Minjoo but seriously, she had to ruin stuff at the very start.

 

“Yujin?” Minjoo’s voice was lower, breaking the silence. “Do you like me as a friend? Or romantically? Enlighten me, please.” It felt like the older woman was begging her.

 

With a rapidly beating heart, Yujin gulped, her trembling fingers loosely grasping at the half empty can of beer. Her strength gradually slipped out of her body. She took a deep breath — no backing out. Minjoo was asking, and Yujin would answer that question even though the outcome would scare her. She wasn’t expecting anything, really. Maybe a rejection would make her move on from this woman… yeah. Pray to the gods that this wouldn’t change anything between them.

 

“I like you… no, I even think that at this point, I’m in love with you. Oh my god, I’m in love with you.” Yujin answered, getting surprised at the words she used too. She was just simply expressing her feelings and thoughts, only to discover something at the last second. The waitress was surprised at her own revelation. She took a shaky breath, sliding her fingers along her dancing locks, in disbelief. “My god, Kim Minjoo. I think I love you. What the hell.”

 

For the past months Yujin became close to Minjoo, she knew this little ‘night’ crush would bloom into something more. The older woman was simply loveable. Who wouldn’t be charmed instantly? Minjoo wasa a full-package. Most of the time that they were together, she couldn’t even feel the between them since Minjoo loved to go along with the flow with her.

 

All of Kim Minjoo’s qualities, Yujin had learned to love them. Even the bad ones. She was the only person that occupied her whole mind these past few months — heck, she didn’t even feel strongly like this towards her ex-girlfriend. She was madly attracted to Minjoo’s existence like a fire, and she was the moth. It was deadly, Minjoo was deadly but still — Yujin couldn’t help but to fly closer and burn, and this night — she would fully burn into ashes.

 

Yujin didn’t need to elaborate further. She knew that the feelings were there, growing rapidly, blooming in her heart but she ignored it, she let it. Yujin fell into an endless depth called Kim Minjoo, each second, she just kept falling deeper and deeper.

 

Minjoo was easy to love. She was a great woman; passionate, kind, beautiful inside out. Just everything. She was the epitome of ‘perfection’. She was surreal. Sometimes, Yujin couldn’t help but to wonder why she had managed to be close to this woman. Minjoo was simply ethereal.

 

“I’m not surprised that I’m in love with you. I’m just surprised at myself because it took a long time for me to admit it…” Yujin started off, feeling breathless. “I knew when I saw you for the first time that night, I was in danger. It felt like it was even love at first sight. You’re simply magnificent, Minjoo. I can’t even list out the reasons why I fell for you because everything — simply everything about you made me enthralled and in love.” continued Yujin, her shoulders were slumped.

 

Minjoo was still silent and Yujin took it as a sign to stop, it was overwhelming for the both of them. She should apologize for ruining their peaceful night, and she would just worry about their awkwardness later because she wanted to cry alone on the shore while drinking her heart’s out. This trip was supposed to be full of fun and rest but… Yujin had to ruin it by confessing like that.

 

“I’m sorry, unnie. I hope this won’t change anything between us. I’ll move on. This is nothing, please, don’t pull away from me. You’re a great friend.” Yujin pleaded, biting her lower lip, breathing out a sigh. “I really apologize for ruining our first night of our trip. I just got caught in the moment.” She apologized, and was about to get off from the rock because tears were threatening to spill when Minjoo herself pulled her back beside her.

 

Yujin was surprised, and literally flinched when Minjoo stayed close, resting her head on her shoulder once more in silence. She was confused but damn, she really wanted to run away, she was just holding back her tears since she didn’t want Minjoo to see that she was sobbing over this matter.

 

“Something will change,” Minjoo whispered, almost inaudible.

 

Yujin gulped, feeling her heart shatter. But she stayed still and listened, it looked like Minjoo had something to say.

 

She heard the woman taking a deep breath. “Yujin, I’ll tell you a story…” Minjoo started off, and Yujin could only hum, staring at the wide, vast sea in front of them. Her fists were clenched, and she was tense.

 

“I was in a relationship before. Seven years. We just broke up last year.” Minjoo revealed and the younger woman gulped and was a little bit surprised; Minjoo never told her about this nor her relationships, it didn’t matter to Yujin anyway. She continued listening to the older woman.

 

“And because of that, I never believe in love anymore. We were together for seven long years, and yet, we didn’t work out in the end. I became traumatized, and I didn’t want to be in a committed relationship anymore after that. The failure of our seven-year relationship made me become wary of love. It’s fake, ing bull. Love shattered me into pieces.” Minjoo paused, pursing her lips and Yujin was holding her breath. The way Minjoo spoke, her voice was laced by anger, betrayal, anger, bitterness, and sadness.

 

Minjoo gritted her teeth and continued, “She cheated on me, Yujin. Chaewon shattered me. She made me believe that love doesn’t actually exist. She ended our seven year long relationship for the woman she just met on her business trip in Japan. And because of it, I’m terrified to try again.”

 

The revelation caught Yujin off guard. She? A woman? It means— no, that wasn’t too important anymore. Let’s focus on that bastard that cheated on Minjoo. What a ing . Yujin could feel anger rising on top of her head.

 

“But… ,” Minjoo then said, laughing bitterly to herself. “The walls I built around my shattered heart are crumbling down once again alongside my firm promise that I will never fall in love again and that I won’t date anyone ever again. Slowly, I became a rebel of my own self. I’m starting to believe in love again, I’m willing to take a risk and hope,” She continued, her fists clenching on her lap.

 

Yujin’s heart was literally up into . She was so nervous and she didn’t know what to think. But she listened, she listened to every word that Minjoo would spout.

 

“When you entered the picture, Yujin. My will was shaken. Tonight, I can’t fight it any more. I can’t ignore these feelings. I can’t hold them back anymore, Yujin. I’m down bad for you and I didn’t even get to admit it until just recently because I was just simply terrified, getting haunted by the past.” Minjoo continued to explain, and Yujin was going to throw up, her ears were ringing and her mind was blank, the words wouldn’t sink into her brain.

 

Minjoo leaned away from resting her head on Yujin’s shoulders and faced her fully, staring right at her directly. Even though it was so intense, and Yujin’s heart felt like it was leaping away, she stared back. Staring at those warm honey orbs that held the entire galaxy.

 

“But hearing you, witnessing you confessing your feelings for me… I think I’m sure,” Minjoo whispered, and her voice was so hoarse but soft and sincere. She reached for the younger woman’s hand and held it tightly. “I’m sure about taking a risk once more and putting my heart in the line again. I’m sure about you, Yujin.”

 

It felt like the world had stopped for a few moments when Yujin heard those words coming out from Minjoo’s mouth. It felt surreal, like a hazy dream, especially when Minjoo flashed her a sweet smile, her eyes forming into little crescents as she said, “I love you too.”

 

Yujin was silent, and Minjoo waited, amused. But then, she jolted in shock when Yujin suddenly stood up from her seat, and started to pace in front of Minjoo, covering while her eyes were wide — a look of disbelief was visible on her face. Minjoo watched her in amusement, giggling to herself.

 

Disbelief turned into confusion, into realization, into surprise, into happiness. Minjoo witnessed Yujin go through different emotions all in a span of ten seconds.

 

“Oh my god, my feelings are reciprocated?!” Yujin shouted, hopping lightly on her feet excitedly. Her eyes were sparkling. Minjoo’s grin went broad, just nodding at the younger woman with a cute chuckle. “Jesus Christ. I’m not dreaming, right? This is real! We’re girlfriends now?” Minjoo nodded again. Yujin started to laugh like a madwoman, and Minjoo knew she had to step in.

 

The flight attendant also stood up from the huge rock, and walked closer to Yujin but before she could even do something. The younger woman wrapped her arms around her, hugging her tight, and Minjoo was a little bit surprised. That was the first time they hugged properly. And it felt so nice, so right, so perfect.

 

Both of them hugged each other closely and intimately like that for a few seconds before Minjoo pulled away, cupping Yujin’s cheeks, and they stared at each other. The younger woman’s hands were resting on Minjoo’s hips, smiling at her.

 

Minjoo then tipped on her toes, leaning closer to Yujin, and pressed a sweet kiss on the taller woman’s lips. “I love you, Ahn Yujin.” She murmured after the kiss.

 

Even though Yujin was in a daze after their first kiss as an official couple, she managed to grin like an idiot, and as if it was natural, she responded. “I love you too, Kim Minjoo.”

 

***

 

Yujin’s friends were ecstatic when they learned that Minjoo and their tall friend declared their love for each other and they became official. Yujin was ready for their relentless teasing anyway, and when the new couple came back from their short trip from Jeju, the waitresses were already making a fuss.

 

Minjoo just laughed it off, even fooling around with the younger women while Yujin was just blushing furiously beside her girlfriend.

 

Everything was going well for the both of them, they were happy.

 

But there was a little bit of a problem on Minjoo’s part. Her best friends were not happy when they received the news. Wonyoung and Yuna liked Yujin, but they did not like Yujin for their friend. And that made Minjoo so upset. When they should be the ones who should be happy for Minjoo since she took a risk after what she had been through…

 

They commented that Yujin was too young for her. She wouldn’t be able to match her pace because she wasn’t too mature for her yet, and it was pure bull, Minjoo thought.

 

Minjoo ranted about that to her lover, and surprisingly, Yujin remained calm, and she wasn’t disheartened. She took the comment nicely, and she understood them. It even made her determined to win her friends and prove that she was worthy.

 

That alone enough made Minjoo happy, and that was just the proof that she needed to know that Yujin was mature for her age. Seriously, age didn’t really matter to the both of them. Sure, there were times that their would be visible in their actions and mindsets but in the end, they could still match each other’s pace. Minjoo was understanding, extra considerate and careful, and would always observe her younger lover while Yujin was growing so she could understand her older girlfriend well.

 

And so she could prove something to people that she would cherish Minjoo, that they were meant to be together. That age wasn’t a huge factor in their lovely relationship. That she was deserving.

 

When Yuna and Wonyoung became intimidating and a little bit cold around her, Yujin was a little bit taken aback. But then, Minjoo told about her close friends’ disagreement to their relationship, and that it was sudden too. They thought it was too early for them to be official and had to think of it thoroughly, thinking that the both of them just got caught into the moment.

 

Minjoo dined in the restaurant even more frequently after she and Yujin became official, and of course, her friends loved to tag along to give Yujin pointed and hard stares. Yujin tried to remain unaffected and just continued to prove herself. Sometimes, whenever they would have a date together, Yuna and Wonyoung would also join them which wasn’t a problem since they weren’t really annoying or bothering them much, it only felt that they were tagging along to observe her actions around Minjoo which was pressuring but she was just being herself most of the time, she was making extra effort though.

 

Yuna and Wonyoung’s wariness around her presence in Minjoo’s life slowly faded as time went by. They became sure that Yujin was good for their best friend after witnessing Yujin’s effort and sincerity — they were convinced. Ahn Yujin made Kim Minjoo the happiest, she brought back the colors in Minjoo’s once dull, and gray world.

 

Both of them fully realized that Yujin was a very great addition in Minjoo’s life when they witnessed Yujin being an understandable girlfriend when Minjoo arrived late at their third monthsary celebration. The couple planned to have a date after Minjoo’s work but there was an unexpected event that resulted in Minjoo flying to another country and got back to Korea past midnight already, and their exact monthsary had ended.

 

Minjoo was about to cry when she rushed out of the gate, trying to contact Yujin because she wasn’t able to tell her what happened in her work earlier, the reason why she was six hours late. She got traumatized before because it was one of the reasons why Chaewon got tired of her, Minjoo’s work demanded a lot of her attention and was often late in their dates before.

 

But much to their shock when they spotted Yujin sitting in one of the vacant chairs in the waiting area, playing with her phone and seemingly waiting patiently for someone.

 

When Yujin spotted them, she just waved at them and flashed her dimpled grin before meeting them halfway. There was no hint of annoyance or anger, she was just simply happy to see her girlfriend, so worried because the older woman looked so restless and was on the verge of having a breakdown.

 

Minjoo cried as she threw herself on Yujin’s arms, apologizing endlessly to her younger girlfriend who was surprised and confused, also concerned as if she was clueless why her girlfriend was sobbing and apologizing. For what?

 

When Minjoo told her the reason, Yujin just frowned while wiping Minjoo’s tears then reassured her, “Why would I be mad? At the very beginning, I knew that being a flight attendant is hard, Minjoo. I completely understand that. You know that I’m willing to wait for you, always. So stop crying and apologizing, my beloved, because you did nothing wrong.”

 

Minjoo sniffled at that, lower lip jutted out as she reasoned out, “Our monthsary had already ended…” Yujin just guffawed, amused.

 

Yujin pressed a kiss on Minjoo’s forehead then responded softly. “We can always celebrate next time. Whenever you’re free, pretty stewardess.”.

 

Minjoo stopped crying once Yujin handed her her gift, which was a very expensive perfume. The older woman was very touched because Yujin really saved the tips she would get so she could buy Minjoo a nice gift. The perfume was perfect — it smelled like her old one but there was a distinct smell of citrus and roses at the side. She loved it.

 

The flight attendant got Yujin some hoodies that she loved. The taller woman was so ecstatic.

 

They decided to celebrate on their next day-off instead, and they changed plans — they decided to hang out in a private bar or something and drink with their friends.

 

Days passed, and the mixed squad was having fun drinking except for Hyunseo who didn’t get to tag along because she was busy studying for her midterm exams. They wouldn’t let her anyway, she was still their baby.

 

At first, it was quite lovely. Yuna and Wonyoung were being talkative again to Yujin and playing around with her, and they were already joining in the fun whenever Yena and Rei would tease Yujin and Minjoo. But once they got enough drinks, Wonyoung and Yuna became emotional, especially Yuna who literally sobbed, and dragged Yujin to a place where they could talk.

 

“I’m really sorry for ignoring you and disapproving of your relationship with Minjoo. Me and Wonyoung have a reason why, but now, seeing you making my friend the happiest. I’m convinced. Please, Yujin-ah. Continue making Minjoo happy and feel loved.” Yuna sobbed and Yujin just listened.

 

Wonyoung added with an apologetic yet stern look. “We were just wary because of what Minjoo’s ex-girlfriend did to her. We’re just protecting her, scared that she might go through the same pain again. She suffered a lot and she’s still suffering. We were just making sure so forgive us. We trust you now fully, Yujin. You’re a great person. You completed Minjoo. Because of you, Minjoo regained all the colors of her world.”

 

That was why Yujin wasn’t too upset when Yuna and Wonyoung became like that, they were just protecting and making sure that their friend was in good hands because they were scared that history might repeat itself again. Yujin completely understood that. She was even happy that Minjoo got friends like these two.

 

With a smile, Yujin nodded firmly, “Rest assured. I’ll take care of our Minjoo well.”

 

***

 

Five months into their relationship, Minjoo became frequent in Yujin’s apartment. They were already at the point of being a ‘domestic’ couple. They weren’t too shy around each other anymore, already comfortable with each other sharing secrets, clothes, and just things.

 

Most often, Minjoo would even go to Yujin’s apartment and sleep there instead after her work since the younger woman’s place was much nearer from the airport rather than her own apartment. Yujin was not complaining, she gets to spend quality time with her girlfriend; cuddling, watching movies, bonding, kissing, just everything.

 

It was great, they got to learn about each other even more. Even the littlest detail and habit. Like, Minjoo loved to scrunch her face up whenever she was getting shaken awake by Yujin. Minjoo loved sunny side up eggs. And she waddles like a penguin to the dining table once she finished taking a bath and ready to eat breakfast with her girlfriend.

 

Yujin’s apartment even smelled like Minjoo now, and Minjoo’s stuff was scattered around her place, mixing with Yujin’s own belongings.

 

Sometimes, Yujin was also at Minjoo’s home. The flight attendant’s apartment was much bigger and lavish than hers, of course. But for some reason, Minjoo preferred staying in Yujin’s small place. When Yujin asked her about that, Minjoo only answered: “It’s cozier here.”

 

Yujin noticed something in Minjoo’s place though. There weren’t any family photos displayed. It made her curious but it felt like it wasn’t right to ask Minjoo about that. She would open up soon, that was for sure. Yujin had a gut feeling that the older woman wasn’t on good terms with her family. Like hers.

 

That mystery was solved when Yujin found something accidentally.

 

Minjoo owned two mobile phones: for personal use, and for work. The older woman forgot her personal one in Yujin’s apartment though, she was rushing earlier to the airport so she didn’t manage to take it with her.

 

Yujin was cooking dinner for the both of them when the phone rang. It was just for a little moment though. Then, it was followed by a ‘beep’, indicating that someone messaged. Turning off the stove, Yujin padded towards the coffee table to check it. Much to her surprise, it was from someone Minjoo saved as ‘Father’. No doubt it was from Minjo’s father.

 

She did not open the message though. And she wasn’t planning to. She respected Minjoo’s privacy even though the older woman herself told her the passcode already. But then, the phone rang again. ‘Father’ was calling. Yujin was unsure of what to do, ignore or answer. But in the end, she answered with full of hesitance.

 

“Oi, Minjoo. Where’s the money? You told me that you’ll send it by the end of this month.” The voice was deep, and harsh, so careless and smug. Yujin did not like it.

 

Yujin pressed her lips together before finally answering, “I’m sorry but this is not Minjoo, but a friend of hers. She left her phone.”

 

There was a long, deep hum coming from the other line then a response. “Okay. Just tell her that her dad called and mention that I badly need the money. I need to pay my loan by the end of this week.” He said smugly, annoyance lingering around her tone and hung up before Yujin could open and speak.

 

Yeah, Yujin doesn’t like him already.

 

Minjoo arrived home a little while after. Her older girlfriend went to her, and Yujin met her half-way. As usual, Minjoo pressed a kiss on her lips before tiredly walking to the younger woman’s bed with a relieved sigh. She started to take off her heels, and ed her blazer.

 

Yujin watched her silently, waiting. She decided to get some of her clothes to lend to her girlfriend. And to be honest, her wardrobe was Minjoo’s now at this point. Minjoo changed, and washed her face before they decided to eat their lovely dinner.

 

“You forgot your phone earlier, baby,” Yujin said when they were eating, handing Minjoo’s phone to the older woman. Minjoo hummed, getting it then opened it to check, freezing instantly when she saw the notification. Yujin glanced at her lover then ate another piece of meat before inserting the topic. “Your dad called. I actually answered the second call, thinking that I should tell him that you left your phone. I just said that I was a friend,”

 

Minjoo’s jaw clenched, her shoulders were tense. “He was asking for some money, didn’t he?” She quietly said after a beat of silence.

 

Yujin pursed her lips together and nodded, “Yes. He said that I should tell you he called and regarding the money,” The younger woman responded, and bit her lower lip. “He doesn’t sound so friendly and nice, Minjoo…” commented the woman. She knew that that man wasn’t a good one, she could tell.

 

Minjoo took a shaky deep breath, her grip around the spoon tightening that it almost bent. “Because he isn’t,” whispered the older woman, and she looked embarrassed.

 

Yujin gave her a worried look. “You don’t have to say anything, love. I’ll just forget about the short conversation—”

 

Minjoo stopped her, raising her hand to signal her to stop talking then heaved out a sigh. “No, you deserve to know what happened to my family. I’m sure you’re curious about them.” She replied, throwing a glance at her then pinched the bridge of her nose. She looked so conflicted, and ashamed.

 

And there was when Minjoo told her about her broken family. Her dad, as expected, was an . He kept cheating on her mom ever since and Minjoo witnessed him bring different girls into their house before when her mom was working. He didn’t care much about his family and kept sleeping with other women and drinking. At the age of twelve, her parents got divorced and her mom took her in but unfortunately, she died when Minjoo was fourteen. She lived with her aunt ever since.

 

Yujin knew that fact; that Minjoo lived with her auntie. And now… she knew why she had to live with her.

 

Her reckless father just reached for her when he learned that she was a flight attendant now, and living a nice life — leaching off some money from his daughter. Minjoo just kept complying because even so, he was still her father. And she pitied her father who was unemployed and drowning in debts.

 

The topic of family was very sensitive for her because of traumatization. Minjoo looked like she was about to have a breakdown when she shared the stories but Yujin held her tight, encouraging her.

 

Once Minjoo finally finished talking about her family and was left with a gloomy mood, Yujin just pulled her for a hug, pressed a kiss on top of her head, and patted her back for comfort. “We’ll never make the same mistakes our parents did,” She whispered, embracing her tight and warmly. “We’ll never be them, my love.” assured the younger woman.

 

“I’ll never leave you alone.” Yujin murmured lovingly, kissing Minjoo softly on the lips. “Never.”

 

Minjoo had never felt that safe and loved. Not even Chaewon made her feel this warm and happy, so content.

 

***

 

“I’ll pay for these groceries,” Minjoo insisted, walking beside Yujin who was pushing the cart full of food. The younger woman frowned at her girlfriend, halting her steps then looked at her with a confused face.

 

The flight stewardess just stared back, stubborn. Yujin puckered her lips, “And why? These groceries are mine so why would you pay for them?” asked the taller woman, and they started to roam around the store again to look for other stuff they needed.

 

Minjoo gave her a hard stare. “I almost live there, Yujin. I always eat there, of course, I’ll pay for these things this time.” She explained, and Yujin wasn’t convinced but Minjoo just pouted. “Just let me pay for them. Come on.” She muttered, linking her arm happily around her lover’s.

 

Yujin protested, of course, but she couldn’t win against Minjoo anyway. That girl was a real stubborn one. She was great at persuading too, and when Yujin sighed, defeated — they went to the counter to pay for the food and other things they bought, and Minjoo was smirking in triumph as she whipped out her awaiting card from her wallet.

 

They went home afterwards, with Minjoo driving since Yujin still hadn’t gotten the chance to learn. The older woman promised to teach her how to drive soon though. Yujin was really eager to learn, so she could drive her girlfriend to the airport and not let Minjoo drive there by herself or use public transportation.

 

After that, they decided to stay in. They actually planned to go out that afternoon but they became lazy. The couple decided to try out baking instead. Yujin bought an oven for that reason only. Minjoo loved to bake.

 

The older woman excitedly taught Yujin how to bake, and the latter looked so serious while mixing the ingredients that Minjoo couldn’t help but to giggle every time and plant a kiss on the taller woman’s cheek from time to time, and give out praises.

 

Minjoo stared at Yujin as she started to whisk diligently, smiling at her sweetly. Yujin noticed it, and glanced at her girlfriend, feeling her cheeks warm up, the tips of her ears flaring red. Minjoo noticed it, and that made her grin wider.

 

Naughtily, Minjoo swiped her index finger in the bowl, scooping a tiny amount of icing then smeared it on the corner of Yujin’s lips, teasing her. The younger woman was taken aback, surprised, arching her brow towards her girlfriend.

 

“Why did you do that?” Yujin asked, tilting her head a bit.

 

Minjoo smirked, giving her a pointed look. “So I could do this.” replied the older woman then leaned her face closer, placing her hand on Yujin’s nape then pulled her down, meeting her halfway.

 

The older woman the icing off from the corner of Yujin’s lips before moving a bit so their lips were brushing against each other. It surprised Yujin, shivering that she almost lost hold on the bowl of icing and whisk as Minjoo kissed her passionately and sweetly.

 

Yujin kissed back lovingly, savouring the moment. The kiss was so sweet, so sugary. Yujin liked it. Minjoo’s lips were soft, and the intensity of her kisses were just right and nice. It was always driving Yujin insane, and between the two of them, Minjoo was much more experienced and she was such a great kisser. She knew what Yujin liked. She knew how to push Yujin into the edge with her sweet, fierce kisses.

 

But then, when she was just getting into it — she felt a wet, cold sensation on the side of her face. Yujin only realized what was happening when she pulled away, and Minjoo was grinning at her playfully. The older woman literally covered half of her face with icing.

 

“Kim Minjoo,” Yujin’s eyes narrowed. Minjoo gave her a peace sign, there were still remnants of icing on her hand.

 

Much to Minjoo’s horror, Yujin grabbed the whisk covered with icing and wiped them on Minjoo’s cheek, making the latter yelp at the sudden attack. Yujin chased down her lover around the small apartment, yelps and laughter could only be heard around the space.

 

In the end, they just made another batch of icing after washing off the sticky, sweet icing on their faces, and ate the cupcakes they made in delight while watching movies, covered in thick blankets, snuggled up together comfortably.

 

Everything was perfect. Yujin and Minjoo both hoped that time would stop that cozy moment. They wanted to be like that, forever close with each other, happy and content. Nothing else mattered.

 

***

 

Yujin and Minjoo rarely fought, they rarely bickered over something petty. Both were understanding, and if there was a problem indeed, they would immediately talk it out. There were times that they loved to bottle their feelings aside, scared that if they would explode — one would receive fatal damage.

 

Both were extremely understanding to each other, and their relationship was almost perfect in many people’s standards. They were happy.

 

But of course, there would be problems. Quarrels, miscommunication, fights — it was inevitable. And they rarely had those. Unfortunately, it might be one of the major reasons why everything became difficult to handle their emotions once it became too much. They were too understanding to the point the patience within them was going to snap soon.

 

Yujin noticed it. A month before their anniversary, Minjoo became busier and a little bit colder to her for some reason. Yujin then later on learned that Chaewon texted Minjoo again and was asking her to meet with her again to have a talk but of course, Minjoo blatantly refused but Chaewon’s sudden and unwanted re-entrance in Minjoo’s life made the older woman’s mood always spoiled.

 

Yujin was aware that Minjoo loved Chaewon a lot. They were in a relationship for seven long years, and they used to be madly in love with each other before everything fell apart. The break-up took a toll on Minjoo greatly.

 

However, Yujin trusted Minjoo. The latter wouldn’t enter into a relationship again if she was still in love with Chaewon. Sure, the woman was still trying to fully heal from the break up but her feelings for her ex-girlfriend definitely faded. Minjoo loves Yujin as much as Yujin loves her. That was for sure. But still, she was threatened and scared even so.

 

And maybe because Yujin trusted Minjoo too much. Or maybe, she didn’t trust Minjoo enough.

 

“Minjoo,” Yujin called her girlfriend’s name to get her attention.

 

Minjoo hummed, busy typing away on her phone that she uses related to work, still not looking up at her. That made Yujin’s brow arch up, feeling a little bit neglected and annoyed.

 

She had been animatedly sharing a story about a customer she served last night that was so rude. She was really upset so she kept ranting to her girlfriend while sipping on her iced coffee for ten minutes or so already but the older woman wasn’t even paying attention to her, just busy with her phone and whatever work related that was.

 

“Are you even listening?” asked Yujin, her voice was soulless. She was a little bit sad because Minjoo wasn’t even looking at her nor attentively listening to her. This was the first time they had a proper date outside for a month because she was too busy with work but now that they were on a date, Minjoo still focused on doing something about her work.

 

It was disappointing. Yujin understood Minjoo’s work very well, she was used to it already, and she could always wait but… it had been a month or so since they went out together. Even so, Minjoo still prioritized her work for this day that was supposed to be all about them, catching up, talking about random stuff.

 

A wave of guilt washed over Minjoo, it was obvious in her eyes. She turned off her phone, putting it away. “I’m really sorry,” She apologized, indirectly answering that she wasn’t listening a bit at all. “I’m just settling something in work. Currently, they assigned me as an in-charge temporarily after our previous one quitted suddenly.” explained Minjoo, stressed.

 

With a sigh, Yujin reached for Minjoo’s hand then held it dearly, pressing a kiss on the back of her hand. “I apologize too, sorry, I just wanted your attention for the whole day.” revealed Yujin, and Minjoo became even more guilty but the younger woman flashed her a small smile. “It’s okay now.”

 

Then, she shifted the topic before Minjoo could even apologize endlessly again. “What do you want to do on our anniversary?” asked Yujin out of the blue. Their anniversary was approaching, just a few weeks from now. Yujin loved to plan so it wasn’t surprising that she would ask Minjoo, especially since she knew that the older woman’s schedule was hectic and they needed to settle their plans beforehand.

 

Minjoo smiled at her girlfriend, looking excited, and there were sparkles in her honey eyes. “Surprise me, honey,” She replied, chirpy.

 

Yujin winked, “Alright, love.” responded the woman.

 

And they continued to talk, this time — Minjoo wasn’t distracted with her work anymore, paying attention to the younger woman instead. They talked about anything, like Yuna and Wonyoung who decided to migrate to Canada and England respectively because of their family and that they weren’t in contact much recently, they missed them. Yujin talked about her working experience as an assistant manager of Eunbi.

 

Who would know that Yujin was the one who was going to get a surprise on their exact anniversary, instead?

 

Days passed quickly that Yujin just blinked and it was her and Minjoo’s first anniversary already. Minjoo was still in her work when the clock struck midnight, and it was July 11th — their anniversary date. Yujin did not send Minjoo a message since she wanted to personally say it to the older woman.

 

Yujin was on her way to the airport, holding a bouquet of flowers she prepared earlier. Minjoo would be going out of her shift around 1AM and Yujin was planning to surprise her with flowers.

 

Yujin admired the flowers while she was on her way to the airport in a cab. She and Minjoo weren’t on good terms, actually. Three days ago, they had a little bit of conflict after she learned from Minjoo herself that that bastard ex-girlfriend of hers was one of her passengers in her previous flight and kept pestering her to have a talk with her.

 

Of course, Yujin didn’t know what to do, and she was slowly getting frustrated because Chaewon was really persistent entering Minjoo’s life again, and for what? Ruin it again? Yujin wouldn’t let her. She was angry at Chaewon but she managed to involve Minjoo with it, so they were a little bit distant to each other. It didn’t help that Minjoo was too busy with work.

 

Yujin wasn’t able to properly apologize that was why she was eager to meet Minjoo. The latter worked for two days straight, flying around different countries and that was why Yujin was not able to ask for forgiveness. This time, she would make it right. She wouldn’t want to have these lingering negative feelings on their exact anniversary. They would settle and talk about it soon.

 

The younger woman was actually planning to take Minjoo to the beach later after they get enough rest. The original plan was to take Minjoo to Jeju-do again but they were both busy with work, especially because in this kind of season, there would be a lot of tourists and customers. So, Yujin would take Minjoo to the nearest beach instead.

 

Yujin arrived in the airport at a nice time, there were a lot of flight attendants from Swan Airlines who were coming out of the entrance already, scattered around. Yujin paid the taxi driver and went out of the cab, excitedly walking to the entrance where Minjoo usually exits while hugging the bouquet of flowers.

 

But while walking towards there with a sheepish grin, she spotted a familiar figure from a distance. It was far but Yujin knew who that woman was, she would not be able to mistake her. That woman was Minjoo. And her grin even went wider.

 

She was about to run towards her girlfriend but then, she halted her steps when she saw that Minjoo wasn’t alone. She was with someone even more familiar that made Yujin’s heart stop beating.

 

Kim Chaewon. Minjoo’s ex-girlfriend.

 

Yujin was sure. She had never seen Chaewon in person but Minjoo showed her enough pictures that Chaewon’s face was engraved in Yujin’s mind. That bob haired woman with Minjoo now, that was definitely Chaewon. The woman who Minjoo loved with all her might before, the woman who shattered Minjoo into pieces.

 

They were talking but Yujin was too far to hear them so she could only conclude things in their body language and expression. Minjoo looked alert, she kept looking left and right in panic while talking to Chaewon harshly but the latter was just staring at Minjoo with those smitten eyes.

 

Yujin’s eyes twitched, she could feel a bile rising up in . She wasn’t liking it. She wasn’t like the thoughts that were forming in her head. She could feel thorns slithering around her heart as she witnessed the scene before her.

 

The younger woman completely forgot how to breathe completely when she saw Minjoo grabbing Chaewon’s arm, holding it then pulled her closer, saying something. It felt like Yujin was splashed with cold water, feeling her blood run cold as she watched dumbfoundedly like that.

 

What the hell was this?

 

Yujin had a hunch that Minjoo was in contact with Chaewon recently. She had two phones, and she could be messaging Chaewon using her phone for work, it was impossible that she was always talking to her workmates and . She spotted once a contact number with only ‘C’ as a saved name. Minjoo was definitely keeping a secret.

 

Sure, Minjoo was vocal about telling her that Chaewon was texting her and that they met again in one of her flights but she purposely left out details, because she knew that Yujin wouldn’t ask.

 

Was she really meeting with Chaewon behind her back?

 

This month, Minjoo was always out and ‘busy’ doing something. And it could be not related to work, Yujin just would always assume it was about that. No, Minjoo would not do that… right? She wouldn’t. She wouldn’t leave Yujin, right?

 

But seeing this happen in front of her, Yujin lost rationality, patience, and her understanding all at once. She clearly saw how Chaewon held Minjoo’s hand tightly, looking up at the flight attendant softly as she gently said something.

 

That woman… Minjoo loved Chaewon for seven years or even more. While Minjoo and her were just going to celebrate their first anniversary. Not even half of the years they spent together in the past.

 

Sometimes, Yujin wondered if Minjoo had fully moved on from Chaewon. After all, seven years were a very long time. Minjoo loved Chaewon dearly despite what happened to the both of them, and she could tell judging from Minjoo’s rare story telling about her and Chaewon before.

 

She knew she had to let Minjoo explain about what was happening but… she exploded.

 

Not when she saw how Chaewon pulled her even closer, wrapping her arms around Minjoo, hugging her dearly and Minjoo just let her. And she even saw Chaewon press a kiss on Minjoo’s cheek.

 

That was when the thin thread snapped.

 

With bloodshot eyes, Yujin let out a shaky breath and turned her heels, walking away from there, away from Chaewon and Minjoo. Her world was falling apart, her heart was shattering into millions of pieces. And the moment she ran away, the thunder roared, matching Yujin’s feelings and mood.

 

She did not just witness that. Seriously, on their first anniversary too?!

 

Anger, jealousy, betrayal, and everything negative intensified within her, her mind was clouded. She couldn’t think of anything else besides the image of Minjoo and Chaewon hugging like that at the corner of the airport like lovers.

 

Everything made Yujin doubt. Everything made Yujin think. Everything made Yujin shatter.

 

Suddenly, everything added up and made sense. After Chaewon had entered the picture again, Minjoo became too busy and distant. That alone already said something.

 

Did Minjoo even love her?

 

Maybe she did not, seeing how she was snuggled up to Chaewon like that. In the end, Minjoo still found her way towards Chaewon after Yujin helped her heal?

 

With a broken heart and a crumbling world, Yujin hailed a cab, tears freely falling from her eyes that earned looks from people. She went inside the taxi, ignoring the driver who was giving her a worried look. She just said her address coldly.

 

The driver let her, driving without a word while Yujin silently sobbed inside the cab, her mind was jumbled, and she didn’t know what to do. She wanted to call Yena or Rei, but she couldn’t. She didn’t want to bother them at all. She should settle this on her own.

 

Yujin was really hurting, she was breaking and falling apart. And she didn’t like it. It really hurt like . Everything hurt, and she just wanted to curl into a ball and cry to sleep then probably never wake up again.

 

Things fell out of place.

 

The woman sniffled, taking her phone then composed a message that she would send to Minjoo. Angrily, she tapped the screen, droplets of tears falling onto the screen of the phone. Yujin just wiped them harshly with her sleeves.

 

I saw you with Chaewon earlier. No need to explain everything, I saw it all. I witnessed it. Thank you for everything. Happy Anniversary, Minjoo.

 

She hit send, and she pocketed her phone. As if it was on cue, she reached her apartment. She gave the fare then also the bouquet of flowers. The driver looked at her, confused. Yujin just shrugged.

 

“You can keep it. Display it, dump it. I don’t care. Thank you for the ride.” Yujin said, and went out, walking towards her apartment, ignoring the light pouring of the rain and cold.

 

She was numb. She wanted for everything to end. It hurt, and she was slowly getting insane because of this.

 

Maybe love wasn’t real. Temporary, maybe. It didn’t last. It wouldn’t.

 

***

 

It was around 2AM when Minjoo reached Yujin’s apartment. And Yujin wasn’t surprised that Minjoo would show up, and probably explain her side. However, her mind was set after thinking of everything thoroughly.

 

Yujin didn’t even mind that Minjoo looked so shaken and exhausted, she obviously rushed towards her apartment, after getting the message, probably. Did Chaewon drive her here? Heh, the audacity, if ever.

 

She was slightly concerned because Minjoo looked so scared, and she was slightly drenched from the heavy rain outside. There must’ve been a storm but her anger outweighed everything else. She just gave Minjoo a cold look when the flight attendant unlocked the door and rushed inside.

 

Yujin just stood up and went to the coffee maker, turning it on to make herself some coffee, completely ignoring Minjoo who was staring at her desperately from the doorframe.

 

“Yujin—” She called but was cut off.

 

The younger woman glared at her, “You don’t even have to waste time explaining , Minjoo.” She spat, venomous.

 

Minjoo was dumbfounded, she sighed in frustration, approaching Yujin closer but all Yujin could feel was anger, betrayal. “It was not what it looked like,” She tried.

 

Chuckling darkly, Yujin nodded, “Sure, it was.” She replied sarcastically, her jaw was tense. “Please go out. I don’t want to see you ever again. Go back into Chaewon’s arms or something.” Yujin murmured, calmly but firmly.

 

That made Minjoo freeze, looking at her in disbelief. She looked like she was about to explode too but she held it back, taking a deep breath. “Let me explain, Yujin. You got the wrong ideas…” She softly said, approaching closer and reaching to hold her but Yujin swatted her hand away, taking a step back as if she got burned.

 

A flash of hurt could be seen in Minjoo’s eyes. It made Yujin’s heart ache but the will remained still, standing tall like a wall. “Did I? Everything’s clear to me, Minjoo. You don’t even have to say and just freaking go!” She breathlessly responded, her chest was heaving.

 

Minjoo stood there like a statue, staring at Yujin who was looking at her in disgust and full of betrayal. That alone made Minjoo tear up.

 

For the first time, both of them felt the , Yujin’s immaturity. Unfortunately, Yujin’s mind was set and she was determined to end things. Lately, she was getting hurt anyway but she was ignoring it, the fact that Minjoo was neglecting her.

 

“You don’t trust me…?” Minjoo whispered, her shoulders were down.

 

Yujin was shaking, eyes hard. “Let’s break up.” She said, firm and serious. Not missing a beat.

 

Minjoo gritted her teeth, feeling her whole world die all over again, looking at Yujin with eyes full of tears. “You don’t trust me, Yujin.” She tiredly breathed.

 

Yujin’s fists were clenched, and she repeated again. “Let’s break up, Minjoo.”

 

Minjoo was silent for a few seconds, just sobbing quietly, her eyes closed. Yujin looked away, not liking the feeling of seeing Minjoo crying like this. It hurt her but this was for the best. In the end, if she would foolishly chase Minjoo even though she knew she stood no chance against Chaewon — she would only get hurt even further. This downfall was enough.

 

She knew she was petty for not hearing Minjoo’s side but… everything became too much for her. She didn’t need to hear her words. No need. Immature. Sure, but she was saving herself while her heart was still cold.

 

“You’ve made up your mind already? Without hearing my words?” Minjoo couldn’t help but to feel frustrated.

 

Yujin huffed bitterly, “Yes. I don’t think everything’s going to work anymore anyway, Minjoo. You’re always out for work and , you barely had any time for me. And knowing that…” She pressed her lips together, and she just looked away once again. “Please, just go out. I don’t care anymore.”

 

Yujin fully understood Minjoo’s busy schedule but still, she couldn’t help but to admit at that moment that she wanted to spend more time with Minjoo. They were drifting apart because of the hectic schedule.

 

It hurt seeing Minjoo desperate like this, but Yujin turned a blindeye on it, she was hurting more because of what she saw earlier.

 

Minjoo was speechless but soon, she let out a defeated, heartbreaking sigh. “Okay,” She whispered, and repeated, “Okay.” Her voice cracked. “If that’s what you want, okay. Let’s end this.”

 

It was painful. Hearing Minjoo spout those words. It was so painful for both of them.

 

“Thank you too, for everything, Yujin. Happy anniversary. For the last time, I love you.” Minjoo whispered, wiping her tears away then smiled bitterly. She never said anything aside from that but she wanted to say thousands of words — yet still, she did not. She went along.

 

If that Yujin had wanted, then alright. In their one year relationship, Yujin was a loving, understanding girlfriend. She was almost perfect. But Minjoo also knew that if Yujin’s mind was set, she couldn’t do anything to help her rethink. Yujin did too much in their relationship, she hardcarried. Minjoo couldn’t refuse if that was what Yujin wanted.

 

If Yujin did not trust her enough, then so be it.

 

Yujin was too good and young for her.

 

With one last look, Minjoo turned her heels, and rushed out of the apartment. Her scarred heart was full of fresh wounds again. It hurt more than she thought of… it really hurts.

 

Minjoo walked under the rain at two-thirty in the morning, her hot tears mingling with the cold droplets of rain. She didn’t care anymore and soullessly, aimlessly walked away from Yujin’s home — the place that Minjoo always called her second home. She didn’t look back. She was bitter, and heartbroken.

 

“You said you’ll never leave me,” Minjoo muttered to the wind, shivering because of the cold. “You said you’ll never leave me…” She continued to cry, her shoulders were shaking.

 

“But why did you? You broke your promise, Yujin-ah. You didn’t trust me.” painfully wailed Minjoo as she walked under the dark and rain.

 

Love never lasts.

 

Or maybe, they weren’t just really meant to be.

 

In Yujin’s apartment, the younger woman could be seen on the floor, leaning against the countertop, hugging her knees while crying loudly and painfully. Her heart wouldn’t stop painfully aching as she thought of Minjoo. Was this the right decision?

 

Love hurts.

 

Love could be painfully tragic and beautiful at the same time.

 

***

 

A year after their break-up, Yuna contacted Yujin, telling her that she was going back to South Korea for a vacation and she wanted to meet her.

 

Yujin was slightly nervous because it had been a while since she had a talk with Yuna. She practically shut everyone off after she broke up with Minjoo, including her friends. Even until now, she couldn’t move on from the older woman.

 

After their tragic, frustrating break-up; Yujin took everything Minjoo owned in her place then sent it back to the flight attendant. They never talked to each other anymore, no one dared to chase each other. Minjoo did not even explain anymore and it was frustrating on Yujin’s part; sure, Yujin did say she didn’t need it but why did Minjoo not insist? So maybe, it was real. Minjoo cheated on her. It was selfish to think and assume but she was a fool anyway.

 

Minjoo did the same, and she sent Yujin’s things back to her. They never met and contacted each other again. Minjoo never dined in ELEVEN again also, well, why would she? Knowing that Yujin was there, working as an assistant manager.

 

It was hard to accept at first but soon enough, she started to get well. Thankfully, her friends were there to console and comfort her. She and Yena had a conflict because the older woman knew that Yujin did not give Minjoo a chance to explain but it didn’t last long, everything had already ended anyway so even though they would fight about it, it was too late.

 

Yena could only retort to her that time, “Whatever. Just don’t cry and regret once you’ve heard her side — learn that what you’ve seen was not what it really seemed.”

 

It made her think but it was too late anyway. The damage had been done..

 

Yujin never hated Minjoo. She would never. Even after a year, she was still into the woman. Wanting updates from her but Minjoo was silent, she wasn’t even using her SNS accounts anymore. There were a lot of times that she wanted to call or text her, ask if she was okay but… she didn’t have the right. And she was the one who wanted to break up with her.

 

Her pride never let her do her move. Even if she was drunk, she couldn’t find the courage to call her just to hear her voice. All she could do was to cry out Minjoo’s name while her heart that was wrapped in thorns ached again.

 

When she and Yuna met in person after more than a year, it was light and not really awkward. They caught up with each other, and it was really nice. Yuna did not change a lot but Yujin did, the older woman noticed. She noticed that Yujin wasn’t that lively anymore and well, it was the truth. After their break-up, it felt like Yujin’s energy drained, as if there wasn’t anything exciting to look forward to in life anymore.

 

And then, the topic switched to Minjoo, of course. Yujin went tense.

 

Yuna knew what happened but they were a little bit clueless for a long time too since Minjoo refused to contact them when they were trying to reach the older woman, wanting space, so they did. Yujin was the same so they were all clueless, and all they knew was that Yujin and Minjoo broke up. It took months for Minjoo to open up.

 

Since they were busy abroad, with work and life, they weren’t able to talk to Yujin much, only occasional greetings, that was all.

 

Yuna asked her what happened, what she had seen, just everything on her part so Yujin did. She was having a difficult time breathing as she told Yuna about it, until now, it was still a very sensitive topic but the older woman deserved to know. Yuna listened intently.

 

“I really had high hopes that you were the right one,” Yuna commented afterwards, and Yujin was ashamed of herself, sinking further in her seat. “That’s why me and Wonyoung let Minjoo run to your arms, because we know you’ll catch her and cage her in your embrace but…” She paused, sighing.

 

Yuna shook her head, “It doesn’t matter now. It has already ended. However, I also can’t help but blame you for not listening to Minjoo’s side,” She said, and sighed. “I tried to understand. Yes, emotions got you big time but you should’ve listened to her for one last time.”

 

Yujin clenched her fists. She was regretting it. She wasn’t too sure if Yuna would explain Minjoo’s side to her, she would throw herself to the nearest river. She knew she was the wrong one for not listening.

 

“What you’ve seen that time, it was not what it was, Yujin. Do you know that or are you still clueless?”

 

Yujin shook her head, “Clueless. I didn’t have the courage to know… It was already too late and I was terrified that once I’d heard it, I would know that all of my assumptions were wrong,” She whispered, taking a deep breath.

 

Yuna hummed, eyeing her. “Do you want to know now?”

 

A beat of silence. In the end, Yujin breathed, “Yes.”

 

And Yuna told her about what Minjoo told her before about what happened on her and Yujin’s first anniversary. Yujin wasn’t even breathing when she listened.

 

Minjoo was just really busy with work, and wasn’t contacting Chaewon at all. The latter kept texting and calling her but she wouldn’t answer. Then, on that fateful night, Chaewon also waited for Minjoo and wanted to have a talk to her. Minjoo accepted because she was really eager to brush Chaewon off from her life because she was contented already and she didn’t love her anymore.

 

Minjoo was practically begging for Chaewon to stop already because she had Yujin already and they were happy. In the end, Chaewon was defeated, and finally listened — she decided to finally accept that after her mistake, she wouldn’t be able to win Minjoo back, especially that she had a new lover.

 

When Yujin witnessed them hug, it was a one last hug, and Minjoo was simply surprised that Chaewon kissed her on the cheek but it didn’t mean anything because after that, Chaewon really stopped trying to win her back and being persistent little .

 

But then… Minjoo was faced by Yujin’s wrath and kept telling her that they should break-up after that. Not even wanting to hear Minjoo’s explanation.

 

Defeated and knowing that Yujin wouldn’t listen, Minjoo just agreed because she loved Yujin too much. She loved her too much that she would do anything that she would say. Engraved in her mind, Minjoo thought that Yujin wouldn’t last with her in the long run because of her busy work. She became insecure and afraid too because she was losing time for Yujin. So, she thought it was for the best too, instead of seeing Yujin get tired of her and their relationship slowly.

 

But still, it was heartbreaking. Everything became a mess because of a simple assumption. Because Yujin was stubborn, clouded at the thought of what she saw, and did not let Minjoo explain.

 

And now, she was there, sobbing in front of Yuna, regret and guilt consuming her whole. Yuna could only look at her in pity, she wasn’t mad or anything.

 

“I really thought you were the one who would never let her drown, Yujin,” Yuna whispered, shaking her head in disappointment. “We hoped that you two would last because we saw it, I saw it, Yujin — you guys loved each other to the moon and back.”

 

Yujin bit her lower lip so hard that it almost drew blood. She was broken, guilty, and regrets were piling on top of her head. Everything was too much to handle. But she couldn’t do anything. It was her fault, she couldn’t go to Minjoo, beg on her knees, and ask for forgiveness.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m really sorry, Yuna.” She cried.

 

Yuna shook her head. “Don’t apologize to me. Say that to Minjoo.”

 

Yujin shook her head, laughing bitterly. “I don’t have the guts to face her myself, after what I freaking did last year.”

 

The older woman did not speak, just looking at Yujin sadly. It was a pity really.

 

Taking a deep breath, Yujin looked at Yuna, pleadingly. “Please tell her that I’m really sorry, I’m really sorry that because of my foolishness we ended up like this when we could be happy even until now. I’m sorry for breaking my promise and her scarred heart.” She said, and took a deep breath. Yuna stared at her, encouraging her to continue.

 

“Tell her that I trusted her so much. And that I love her so much. One day, when I have the courage, I’ll face her and personally ask for forgiveness about what I had done to her.”

 

 

***

 

Six years later.

 

Yujin looked around the venue, and the decorations were almost finished. She roamed her eyes around, spotting something off but everything was nicely placed in the correct spots and places. Everything looked perfect and Yujin was satisfied.

 

She doubled her efforts this time, making sure her employees were doing their job right. This wasn’t a rare sight, her restaurant always held a private event or gathering but this time, she had to make this place turn into perfection. She didn’t want to disappoint the guests, this event would be the biggest event that her restaurant would hold.

 

A certain airline company was celebrating its 20th anniversary, and they decided to hold the event in her restaurant. And what certain aviation company, one might ask? Swan Airlines.

 

And the one in-charge that contacted the manager about the event was someone very familiar.

 

Kim Minjoo.

 

The name that she hadn’t heard for years but it was the name that had always been engraved in her head and mind for the past years, until now. When she heard that from the manager, which was Gaeul — Yujin was surprised because there was a huge chance that it must be her ex-girlfriend.

 

She wouldn’t disappoint.

 

In an hour or so, before the event would start, that person would be visiting the venue first to check everything. And Yujin was nervous. But then, she wanted to see Minjoo again… the last time they saw each other was when they broke up that unfortunate night.

 

Of course, Yujin could face Minjoo now. It has been more than six years now, yes? Time heals, and although it left a deep scar in Yujin’s heart and soul, she was better now. She was a better person than before.

 

Yujin spotted something off to the side. She immediately yelled at the employee to place it nicely in a gentle manner, and with that, she continued to look around until time passed.

 

The coordinator went over to her side, telling her that the representative from Swan Airlines had arrived. And Yujin felt like throwing up. She knew it was most likely Kim Minjoo, the woman Ahn Yujin loved for a long time.

 

And there she was.

 

Minjoo strided down inside the venue, and Yujin wasn’t prepared, to be honest. The way the flight attendant approached her, she was walking elegantly with her simple white dress. Her long raven hair was short now. And she looked exactly just the same as she was before but extra mature, and her aura was more intimidating but confident. Nothing changed much, she was still the passionate, kind, and beautiful Kim Minjoo.

 

Even after seven whole years… Yujin’s heart skipped a beat. Minjoo’s effect on her was insane. As if they met for the first time in their life. It was something.

 

Minjoo’s eyes didn’t hold any grudge or bitterness, just amused and glad to see an old ‘friend’ after a long time. She was wearing a sweet smile as walked and halted in front of Yujin.

 

“Nice meeting you again, Yujin.” Minjoo greeted, and Yujin felt like shrinking.

 

The younger woman flashed a smile, her eyes full of longing. “Likewise, Minjoo.” She was breathless.

 

Their reunion was simple and nothing dramatic but it had a huge impact on Yujin. She was prepared for their meeting yet still, she was very nervous and at a loss of words.

 

Minjoo grinned at her before looking around the restaurant, inspecting, and admiring while Yujin stood there. They stood at the very center of the room so they could see the whole place properly. The older woman let out a satisfied hum, looking at Yujin softly.

 

“Someone in our company suggested this restaurant, and I’m just the one who was in-charge to contact and settle with the manager and coordinator. Much to my surprise, the owner’s name rang a bell.” Minjoo said, looking a little bit proud. “No wonder my company pushed through after checking this grand place out. As expected, you have an immaculate taste, Yujin. I knew that if you became a restaurant owner, it’ll do better than ELEVEN.” She commented with a chuckle.

 

That made Yujin laugh a bit too. Wow, Minjoo’s voice was husky yet soft but there was a prominent elegance at the side.

 

It was nice. They were talking as if when they parted — they were on good terms. They literally parted in the worst way possible, hearts shattered, worlds fell apart. But they were talking as if they were just friends who did not see each other for years and catching up.

 

“Thank you,” She shyly responded, then glanced around before looking at Minjoo again. “Well, satisfied? This will do? Or should there be a last minute arrangement?” Yujin asked playfully.

 

Minjoo giggled, shaking her head. “The place is perfect. I love it. I’m sure other staff will be so delighted once they enter. No wonder IVE Resto & Cafe is quite popular around.” She answered.

 

Yujin just hummed, the comment making her feel at ease. She looked around and saw that everyone was busy because in a few hours, the event would start. They were preparing at the last minute and it was almost done anyway. She turned to Minjoo, her breath hitching when she was greeted by her godly face. Damn, she couldn’t believe that this woman became her lover before… such a shame Ahn Yujin, you had to everything up.

 

There was a beat of silence, just staring at each other before Yujin caught herself, coughing to clear . “Can we talk?” asked Yujin, then nodded her head towards the direction of the loft. “Our matcha latte recipe was created by me. Do you want to try it out? It’s on the house~” She said, throwing a wink.

 

Minjoo’s eyes sparkled at the mention though, nodding eagerly like a kid. “Yes, please. Let’s have a talk. As long as I get a free matcha latte.” Minjoo played along, and they both giggled at that before walking up to the loft where it offered a good view of the place. It was cozy there and peaceful rather than downstairs.

 

They caught up with each other as they sipped on their favorite drinks, iced coffee for Yujin, and matcha latte for Minjoo. Even though they didn’t talk to each other for more than six years, and parted ways on bad terms — they were comfortable with each other. Yujin was a little bit awkward since the guilt within her heart would bubble up seeing Minjoo in front of her.

 

Minjoo looked comfortable around her though, always smiling at her, joking around her as if Yujin did not break her heart, did not break the promises she made to her in the past. It made her absolutely sick but this time… even though it felt it wasn’t right, Yujin would ask her forgiveness.

 

Both of them shared about their lives, and how they became successful to this day. Minjoo became a flight purser, she got promoted just two years ago, and she was so happy as she shared a story about having the honor to serve the President of South Korea once and that very popular boy group band, BTS. Meanwhile, Yujin talked about getting promoted as a restaurant manager out of the blue after Eunbi quitted, she then saved enough to make her own resto. And now, her restaurant was very popular around the area.

 

Sinking the information in, Yujin was proud of what they’ve achieved through the years. When they were still a couple, they loved to talk about their careers and their wishful thinking.

 

“Can you believe it?” Minjoo muttered, in awe as she slumped against the comfortable couch in the loft. Yujin chuckled, taking a sip from her coffee. “We’re pretty successful in life now… I’m so proud of what you’ve achieved, Yujin.” Minjoo genuinely said, her voice was lower, and very soft.

 

Yujin could only smile sadly. “Me too. I’m proud of you too. You did great.”

 

Too bad, they didn’t get to achieve them while together. It was a shame. They promised to be successful in the future, together. But… yes, quite unfortunate.

 

Minjoo also told her about her boyfriend. Yujin wasn’t surprised, she was prepared, especially when she noticed the diamond engagement ring wrapped around the woman’s ring finger. There was a dull ache but Yujin just shrugged it off.

 

Hopefully, this time. Minjoo was with the right person for real. The one who would treat her a queen, always give her the best, and always make her feel deserved and loved. And not hurt her, like what Chaewon and Yujin did to her. She had gone through a lot. She was a fragile glass already with cracks.

 

But Minjoo looked happy with this person as she talked about him. Yujin wasn’t bitter, simply happy. She was a little bit sad because before, she was really sure that in the near future, she would be the one who would buy and give Minjoo a very nice engagement ring. But the damage had been done a long time ago. Yujin prayed that Minjoo and her fiance would be together until the very end of their journey in life happily and peacefully.

 

Yujin knew she had to insert the topic of their past somehow to start, they had been talking about their life for almost an hour now but still, they weren’t talking about it yet. Was Minjoo avoiding it, or was she waiting for Yujin to start that topic? Well, whatever, Yujin promised to herself that she would ask for forgiveness once she and Minjoo ever met again. And that time was now. It was long overdue but that break-up was still affecting Yujin greatly.

 

“Do you remember how we felt when we were sitting by the water?” Yujin whispered after a short, comfortable silence between them. Minjoo went tense, looking at her calmly. Yujin smiled tightly at her, “Because I do. All too well. So vividly.”

 

Minjoo subtly took a sharp inhale. “I do. I do remember it all, Yujin.” whispered the woman.

 

Yujin smiled, her dimple poking out then looked down at her own iced coffee. “You know,” She said with a soft sigh, “I never got to tell you this but… Minjoo, every time I look at you, it’s like the first time.” murmured the woman, and looked up to meet Minjoo’s calm, honey orbs. “Until now.”

 

Yujin couldn’t keep her emotions, and she didn’t even notice that she was crying. Everything was still there, guilt, regret, self-blame — buried in the depths of her heart for seven years. It would be forever there but if Minjoo would forgive her then those feelings would never haunt her ever again.

 

“You are the best thing that ever happened to me in my whole life. No one or thing can be compared to you. You made me the happiest.” Yujin cried, wiping her petty tears away.

 

Minjoo was just gaping at her, stunned. She wasn’t obviously seeing this coming. Yujin also. She was just about to ask forgiveness but for some reason, everything became too much and she blurted the words she wanted to say.

 

Yujin took a deep breath, covering her face with her palms, trembling. She was trying to calm herself down, she still needed to ask forgiveness. She needed to apologize for everything she had done seven years ago.

 

But then, Minjoo stood up, walked to her side and pulled her up. Yujin let her, standing up, then met Minjoo half-way for a hug after long years. It felt so right, caging Minjoo again in her embrace. It was wrong to feel like this, she didn’t have the right but she missed it, she yearned for it before, she craved for it like a madwoman.

 

She even cried harder when she smelled the familiar scent of Minjoo. The older woman was still using the same perfume that Yujin had given to her in their third monthsary. Expensive vanilla, citrus-y and roses at the side. It was all the same.

 

“You are the best thing that’s ever been mine, Minjoo.” Yujin whispered, her voice cracked as she hugged Minjoo tighter. “And you will always be.” She cried.

 

Minjoo buried her face on Yujin’s shoulders, hugging her tight as if her life was on the line. She was also having a breakdown over this reunion of theirs, and because of the words Yujin spouted.

 

“I’m sorry, Minjoo. I trusted you, I trusted you so much, that was why I fell apart when I saw you with Chaewon that time. I’m sorry I did not let you explain. I’m sorry I let anger cloud my mind. I’m sorry for breaking your heart when I promised I would never. I’m sorry I left you when I told you I would never. I’m sorry for everything, Minjoo. Please, please… forgive me. Until now, they still haunted me.” Yujin desperately begged.

 

It was painful. Even after six years… everything still haunted Yujin. She couldn’t help but to remember what Yuna had said to her, that Minjoo didn’t cheat, and she never would because Minjoo loved her too much yet Yujin broke her heart just like that.

 

Because of her mistake, Yujin shoved Minjoo away from her life. The most stupid mistake she ever did, and nothing could probably top it off. She would regret hurting Minjoo for the rest of her life.

 

Minjoo broke the hug after a while, cupping Yujin’s tear-stained cheeks with trembling hands, making her look straight at her sparkly, teary honey eyes that held the entire galaxy. “Stop,” murmured the woman. “Stop apologizing, Yujin. Stop hurting. Stop suffering.”

 

Yujin bit her lower lip, clenching her fists. Minjoo wiped her tears away shakily. “Seven years is a long time, Yujin. It’s time to move forward.” She softly mumbled, and added, “I forgave you. The moment I ran away from your place that morning. I also gave up on us. I should be the one apologizing for not trying and insisting. I did not try.” Yujin shook her head, angry. No, Minjoo wasn’t one to blame at all.

 

Minjoo took a deep breath, looking at Yujin softly. “Forgive yourself already, Yujin. Don’t be stuck with the mistake you made in the past. You’re better now.” She whispered, patting Yujin’s cheek. “Yujin, it’s okay. We’re okay. This is the closure you need, we both need.” She cooed.

 

Yujin softly sniffled, nodding. And she was feeling lighter, as if this weight in her shoulders had been lifted up after a long, painful time. Minjoo forgave her. Minjoo did not loathe her at all. Minjoo was right… she was better now and she needed to move on forward. Let what happened between them be a lesson that she would carry until in her grave.

 

Minjoo giggled, but she was also tearing up, “You still cry the same way, what a crybaby,” She commented, poking the tip of Yujin’s nose then smiled at her lovingly. “You’re all still the same…”

 

The older woman let Yujin sit on the couch again and this time, Minjoo sat beside her. She helped Yujin wipe her tears away with a tissue. Thankfully, no one saw their little breakdown earlier because they were alone in the loft and everyone was busy downstairs.

 

They continued to talk. They were friends now, and no more hard feelings. Yujin felt great, like she got out of a locked room and she was able to experience being under the daylight and feel the wind against her skin, and feel grass on her feet. So satisfying and a very nice feeling.

 

Both of them laughed at each other’s stories, especially in the past, like when they were in Jeju-do. They talked about their friends before too, and wanting a reunion again, wanting to keep in touch. This time, they promised to communicate again. Minjoo also invited Yujin to her wedding with her fiance next year.

 

Yujin didn’t feel pain at all, she was simply happy for Minjoo. She excitedly said, ‘yes!’, even joking around that she could be one of the godmothers of their soon to be child. Minjoo just guffawed, slapping Yujin’s arm.

 

It went on like that for another hour until Minjoo excused herself that she needed to go home and change her outfit for the event later. Yujin nodded, and they promised to meet each other at the event soon.

 

Yujin went down with a smile, helping around the catering after sending Minjoo off with a hug.

 

***

 

The event was starting and everything was going smoothly as expected.

 

Yujin looked around while going downstairs, seeing the restaurant packed with people. She checked around, seeing if there were some employees of hers slacking off but they were doing their jobs well.

 

The restaurant owner went to the side and grabbed a vest hanging on the hanger at the corner then wore it, buttoning it properly then grabbed a tray with wine glasses on it, also took a bottle of wine.

 

She might be the owner but she always loved to help around, especially in busy events like this. She went over to the guests who were calling for her attention. Yujin smiled at them charmingly, “Wine?” The guests nodded politely. Yujin prepared their wine, and after that, went over to the next table — they were asking for some desserts so she grabbed them some.

 

Yujin then went over to the side after serving, her gaze roaming around, and feeling satisfied that the guests were having a blast. The woman’s eyes searched for a certain someone, and she spotted that person almost immediately; wearing an elegant, backless fitted red dress. She was on the high table with a man, talking to him lovingly.

 

Déjà vu.

 

A smile formed on Yujin’s lips. So familiar. Déjà vu, really. But this time, the woman wasn’t drinking her hearts out but simply having a conversation with her partner across from her.

 

Minjoo then looked in her direction and their eyes met. The older woman raised her hand, gesturing to her to come closer, and Yujin did, approaching them closer. They smiled at each other once Yujin halted in front of them.

 

“What can I get for you?” The polite question rolled off Yujin’s tongue naturally, smiling politely and lazily at them.

 

Minjoo grinned, a sense of familiarity also striking her, “A whole bottle of wine, please.” She answered.

 

Yujin nodded. “One glass for you, and one glass for this gentleman here?” She asked, glancing at the tall, good-looking man at her right side. He was looking at her, smiling a bit. He looked nice, someone who could trust.

 

“Yes, please, another one for my fiance.” Minjoo said, and scooted closer to him. The man instantly wrapped his arm around Minjoo’s waist, and smiled at her like a smitten lad.

 

“Yujin, meet Moon Seokhun — my boyfriend of almost four years, and my fiance.” Minjoo said, glancing at her fiance and then to Yujin. “Darling, meet Yujin — an old friend of mine.” She sneakily said then threw a playful wink towards the younger woman.

 

Yujin chuckled, bowing a bit at Seokhun, and the latter did the same, smiling at her politely. “Nice meeting you, Yujin-ssi. Minjoo told me about you.” He said softly.

 

The younger woman nodded, “Likewise, Seokhun-ssi,” She said then grinned. “Congrats to the both of you. I’m sure you’ll see me in yall’s wedding soon. I will be present.”

 

Seokhun nodded, and he looked so excited at the mention of the wedding. “Thank you! I will be anticipating your appearance there, Yujin-ssi.” He chirped then glanced at his lover, smiling at her sweetly. “I can’t wait, actually. I’m so excited to tie the knot and spend the rest of my life with this beautiful one.” He continued, and Minjoo blushed a bit, grumbling cutely something under her breath, shy.

 

Yujin just laughed, shaking her head in amusement. “You guys are cute and perfect.” She commented sincerely, then glanced at Minjoo. “I wish you guys all the best.” whispered the younger woman with a genuine sweet smile.

 

Minjoo gave her a soft look that made Yujin chuckle. Seokhun just grinned happily at her.

 

“Wait up, lovebirds. I’ll fetch the wine for you.”

 

Yujin went back after that, and she herself poured them their wine in their glasses. And after that, she and Minjoo exchanged one last smile before Yujin continued to serve other guests, feeling very light.

 

When Yujin settled at the side, and wait for a guest to ask for their needs, her gaze couldn’t help but to settle at Minjoo and Seokhun’s table. She stared, and watched the couple.

 

They were drinking wines, talking to each other casually but there was an obvious spark within them as they stared at each other as if they were each other’s whole world. They looked so perfect and happy. And Yujin was very relieved to know that this man was treating Minjoo well, and that the latter was contented with him. That man was the deserving one for Minjoo.

 

Yujin couldn’t help but to smile to herself. She was happy. It was enough. Everything was settled and she couldn’t wish for more seeing Minjoo so happy with her current lover. Yujin would definitely sleep very soundly later, she got closure and inner peace already.

 

That was all she needed to tame these monsters inside her.

 

Now, she needed to move on forward. Stop being stuck in the past. Minjoo had already forgiven her — it was her turn now to forgive herself.

 

Taking a deep breath, Yujin composed herself and immediately went to serve the other guests for that night. Humming along to the tune of the song blasting from the speakers, Mine by Taylor Swift. Yujin couldn’t help but to chuckle in amusement as she approached the guests.

 

Her and Minjoo’s love story ended tragically. But that was how it was. Inevitable. They weren’t meant to last together forever. In this lifetime, in that world, in that universe.

 

But they were meant to meet each other — heal each other, love each other, shatter each other, forgive each other.

 

And that was how Yujin and Minjoo’s story together came to begin and end.

 

***

 

A/N: hiiii, missed me besties? hahahahaha! sorry, it took me long again to post something new. this girlie here is super busy with life and schoolworks, damn it.

 

so, how was it? whoops! before y’all curse at me, this is a commissioned work~ shout out to @/foxpupp for commissioning me to write this wonderful, and painful story. thank you, i hope i met your expectations! i really enjoyed writing~

 

this is loosely based on Mine by Taylor Swift only. this is yujin-centric, therefore, it felt like you witnessed the story behind the song itself from the other party’s perspective lmao i really hope you guys liked this despite… yeah, whoops! its fun to make readers hurt again after a while, ig hahaha just kidding.

 

that’s all! thank you for reading! stay safe as always, my friends~