Love On Air

Love On Air

 

“Good night, everybody! DJ Yellow is here!”

The voice from the radio began to fill in Daehyun’s ears, and being too hypnotized by the DJ’s angelic voice, the mathematic homework was forgotten immediately.

“In this beautiful night, I come back to accompany you all at SBS Starry Night from 9 pm until 11 pm. So, don’t go anywhere, okay? Stay tune!”

Go anywhere? Daehyun’s answer was so obvious for that question. Never!

 “Ah, it’s Sunday night already.” The DJ spoke again after a song was finished to play. “I hope you all have prepared to face the Monday. Yeah, people hate Monday, I know, especially for a student like me. But hey, just face everything with a smile!”

The only thing that could make Daehyun smiled sheepishly like an idiot was this DJ’s voice. Oh, how Daehyun wished he could heard this voice all the time, so he could keep the smile on his face even when the problems approached him.

Too bad, that wish would never come true. Daehyun could only hear this voice twice a week, only on the weekend nights. The other nights, on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday night to be exact, were the shifts for DJ Pink, and on Thursday and Friday night were the shifts for DJ Blue.

Speaking of the DJs’ names, Daehyun thought it was ridiculous when the first time he heard about it. Seriously? DJ Yellow? DJ Pink? DJ Blue? Why those people couldn’t just tell their names? Well, Daehyun didn’t give a damn about the other DJs’ names, he just wanted to know DJ Yellow’s real name actually.

However, Daehyun’s question was answered several months ago. There was someone sent an email to DJ Yellow, asking why they used colors as their names. DJ Yellow chuckled lightly (Daehyun thought that he was in heaven for a moment as that cute chuckle resonated to his ears) before he gave an explanation. “Well, this radio is a place for the DJs who didn’t want to reveal their true identities. So, we replaced our names by our favorite colors.”

People could keep secrets from the other people, Daehyun knew it clearly. But still, curiosity killed him. He wanted to know every single thing about this DJ, his name, his age, his school, and of course… his appearance.

Honestly, Daehyun often imagined about what this person looked like. Judging from his voice, this person must be look so beautiful, an angel-like, God's creature that people would always love.

Nonetheless, it seemed like not all of the people loved this angel as much as he did. There were some people who couldn’t catch the sweetness in DJ Yellow’s voice and thought that Daehyun exaggerated everything. Those people were his bestfriends, Yongguk and Jongup.

“I don’t get it, Daehyun! Really!” Yongguk said once they discussed about this matter some moments ago. “His voice is… Well, nothing special in that voice.”

Jongup nodded his head slightly in agreement. “Yeah, I think the same like Yongguk too. Besides, I think DJ Blue’s voice is more… err… cute?”

“No!” Yongguk responded quickly, a playful grin could be seen upon his face. “DJ Pink is better. He has a y voice.”

Hearing those comments, Daehyun could only role his eyes in annoyance. How come Yongguk and Jongup weren’t being mesmerized by DJ Yellow’s voice? Daehyun really had no idea about this. All he knew was that voice worth dying for.

~~~

Chemistry was one of the hardest subjects in school, many students thought like that, and no exception for Daehyun. Moreover, this subject wasn’t his forte. He didn’t like numbers, he preferred subject that included words in it, like literature. Although Daehyun wasn’t really a talkative person, he liked to work with words. He spoke his mind through the written-words.

Being too bored, Daehyun distracted his mind by took a glance to his other classmates. Jongup was currently doodling on his notebook, Yongguk was sleeping like a boss, and the others did similar things too. No one seemed to pay attention to Mr. Kang’s lecture.

Well, not no one actually, there was someone in this class who still willing to give a damn to this lecture, it was the boy who sat right beside Daehyun. He wrote everything that Mr. Kang explained on his notebook, being a nerd he was.

Well, if you thought that all nerd was ugly, you were definitely wrong. After staring at the nerd for several moments, Daehyun noticed that there was a beautiful face hidden behind those thick-framed glasses. He has cute narrow eyes, adorable chubby cheeks, and… kissable pouty lips.

Daehyun wasn’t a ert boy, not like Yongguk, but he didn’t know why he suddenly had the desire to touch those lips and feel it against his own. Would it be as soft as it looked like? Moreover, what was it like to have his name escaped from those lips? Just by imagining about this gave him goosebumps all over his skin.

Wait! This nerd never talked, Daehyun remembered it. Not even a single word had escaped from his lips. Was he a mute or something? No one was really sure. Well, more like no one gave a damn about it. And the same goes for his name, birthday, family, and everything about this nerd. People just let it be an unrevealed mystery.

~~~

Daehyun tapped his fingers on the table impatiently as a song by Song Jieun was played, DJ Yellow mentioned about the singer’s name before, if not, he wouldn’t know about it, or even gave his care. The singer’s voice was nice, making the listeners got a warm feeling as the emotional voice absorbed in their ears. Nonetheless, DJ Yellow’s voice was much better than that in Daehyun’s opinion. He didn’t get only warm feeling as he heard his beautiful voice, he also had goosebumps on his skin, the butterflies danced in his stomach, wilder and wilder in every second he spent listening to DJ Yellow.

This Daehyun’s habit of listening-to-radio-on-weekend-nights had its own history.

It started in one random night, about 2 years ago.

Daehyun arrived at his home from school, tiredness fulfilled his body. He threw himself on his comfortable bed soon as he entered his own room, eyes remained opened, scanning his surrounding, and that was when he found a radio on his study table. He got up from the bed and approached the unfamiliar object. He didn’t remember having a radio before.

But, his confusion was cleared as his mother entered his room and gave an explanation to the latter. “I bought you a radio. Do you like it?”

“What for?” Daehyun asked, eyes never leaving the radio even for a second.

“I read in a magazine that music makes brain works better.”

Daehyun span his head towards his mother and shot her a quizzical look. “And you believed that?”

“There is no harm in trying, right?” His mother said before leaving the room.

Daehyun sighed loudly. His mother was ridiculous sometimes. He was sure music wouldn’t give much change to his not-working-properly brain, so the radio was left turned off for some moments.

Until one night, Sunday night, when Daehyun was so sick with the physic homework that he was currently working on, he decided that it was better for him to use the radio in this moment, trying to find some songs that could calm him down.

He abused the radio’s buttons on and on, not finding any good song played, just some up-beat songs that he could find, and he wasn’t in the mood to hear them.

However, his finger froze on its track as a voice started to fill in the air, voice that could be a drug for him, making him became an addict, longing to hear it more and more.

“Now, it’s time for reading the emails.”

Daehyun shook away his thoughts as he realized that the singer’s voice was replaced by DJ Yellow’s one.

“Oh, anyway, thanks for everyone who had sent an email for me. And if you haven’t done it, you can send your email at [email protected]. You can request songs and greet your family and friends through the email.”

After pausing for some seconds, DJ Yellow continued. “Now, let’s start to read these emails. Oh, we got an email from [email protected].”

Daehyun’s heartbeat sped up as he heard the email’s username. DJ Yellow was going to read his email.

“DJ Yellow-ssi, I really like your voice.”

There was a silence hung in the air for a moment before DJ Yellow’s cute chuckle broke it.

“That’s a short email. But thank you so much, white prince-ssi. I’m really glad that you like my voice and I hope you will keep listening to this program.”

And Daehyun thought his heart skipped several beats as he heard those words. DJ Yellow said thanks to him? Gosh, what did he dream about last night?

~~~

“Today, I will give you your test results.”

Mr. Kim earned groans and whines from the students as he announced it. But, Daehyun just sighed in desperation. He never passed physic tests before, and he was sure this test result would increase his record.

As he predicted before, he didn’t pass. A red-ink 45 was standing proudly on his paper test, as if it was trying to mock him right at his face. However, relief washed over him as he realized that he wasn’t the only one who got bad score. Apparently, most of his classmates got bad scores, he knew it by observing their expressions, obvious disappointment splayed upon their faces.

Yet, when he looked at the person beside him, no trail of disappointment could be found. In fact, there was a small smile laid upon his face. Out of curiosity, Daehyun peeked to the nerd’s paper test. A black-ink 100 was caught by his eyes.

It was really surprising him to the core, of course. How come this person got 100 in physic test when Daehyun himself never passed it?

But hey, this person was a nerd, right? The nerd would always get the perfect score, wouldn’t they? If they wouldn’t, maybe this person was just simply a something special.

And from the deepest part of his heart, although Daehyun didn’t really want to admit it, he envied this person, a lot.

~~~

“Okay, now we move on to the next email.”

DJ Yellow said once after he finished reading an email from his listener. He couldn’t hide his wide smile when he saw the sender of the next email.

“Ah, today I got an email again from [email protected]. Good night, white prince-ssi!”

Daehyun promised himself before that he would calm down when his email was being read. But, his heart betrayed him pathetically. The beats of his heart was faster and faster, being a lovestruck highschool boy he was.

“I have a bad day today, DJ Yellow-ssi. Can you please cheer me up by singing me a song? Any song is fine.”

Daehyun knew he was being a selfish . He shouldn’t request something weird like this to the DJ. Yet, his curiosity killed him again. He really wanted to know what the DJ’s voice was like when he sang. All Daehyun could imagine was perfection.

“White prince-ssi, I can’t sing.” DJ Yellow said, shyness was clearly heard in his voice. “But, well, to cheer white prince-ssi there, I will try. Don’t laugh at my voice, okay?”

DJ Yellow cleared his throat before started to sing.

Because you had a bad day

 You're taking one down

 You sing a sad song just to turn it around

 You say you don't know

 You tell me don't lie

 You work at a smile and you go for a ride

 You had a bad day

 The camera don't lie

 You're coming back down and you really don't mind

 You had a bad day

The clock seemed to stop ticking away right at that moment. No, not just the time, everything just seemed to stop working, included his whole body system, being too lost in the beauty of the voice.

What did he hear just now? Was it a voice from heaven? Was he a hero in his past life so he was worth enough to hear this perfection?

“Gosh, what a shame!” DJ Yellow uttered quietly, more to himself, as he finished singing.

And Daehyun couldn’t help but raised his eyebrow at this. What was there to be shame about?  He really didn’t get it.

~~~

Daehyun drowned his face on his table, exhaled deeply in the process. Those chemistry questions that he had to solve several minutes ago really gave him a headache, a major one.

He titled his head to the side and he found the chair beside him was empty. Well, Daehyun remembered that the occupant had left some moments ago, about 20 minutes before the time limit of the test ended. While himself at that time was still had a hard battle with the questions. And in the end, he gave up and let the destiny took control of his test result.

“Hey, Daehyun!” Jongup’s voice interrupted his train of thoughts. “Want to join us to get lunch?”

Daehyun shook his head weakly. “Nah, I’ll pass.”

“Are you okay, Daehyun?” Yongguk approached the duo. “You seem not really well.”

Daehyun smiled, trying to reassure his bestfriends. “I’m fine, guys. No need to worry. I guess I’ll just go to the rooftop to get some fresh air.”

“Oh, okay then. Let’s go Jongup! Those chemistry questions are really emptying my energy.”

And with that Yongguk and Jongup stepped away from the classroom.

Daehyun got off from his seat and made his way to leave the classroom as well, directing his feet to the rooftop to get some fresh air, just like what he said before.

Not long after, when he was about to push the rooftop’s door, he heard a singing voice, a really beautiful one, and it was so… familiar.

‘Wait, it couldn’t be!’

The singing voice was stopped as the rooftop’s door was opened. Daehyun scanned his surrounding carefully. All he could find was the nerd who was freezing on his spot, eyes widen in shock.

“Was that your voice?” Daehyun asked the nerd as he approached him.

The other just nodded his head weakly, eyes looking to the ground, too scared to face the person in front of him.

One more question was asked again. “What’s your name?”

“Yoo Youngjae.” The voice was slightly above a whisper, but Daehyun still caught it.

“Yoo Youngjae.” Daehyun tested the sound of that name escaped from his lips. It was sinfully right. “I really like your real name, DJ Yellow.”

Youngjae looked up, a more shock expression was written clearly on his face, as he heard his DJ codename slipped through the other’s mouth. And Daehyun smiled in joy as he looked at this action. So, this boy in front of him was really DJ Yellow, the boy that he was praised for a long time.

“Well, let me just introduce myself to you.” Daehyun held out a hand to the other. “I’m Jung Daehyun, your white prince.”

~~~

A/N: Gosh, what a fail! I'm sorry~ orz

Anyway, check out my other fanfic guys! ^^

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/139485/the-great-escape-infinite-myungyeol--hoyasungjong-hojong