i watched it begin again

and you throw your head back laughing, like a little kid(i think it’s strange you think i’m funny ‘cause they never did)
Took a deep breath in the mirror
He didn't like it when I wore high heels, but I do

 

Fixing the last bit of her make up, Somin looked at herself in the mirror and heave a sigh. She’s still questioning herself as to why she let Kwangsoo set her up on a blind date once again. The first time he did so, it was a complete and utter disaster.

 

No amount of apologies can redeem her broken dignity after the embarrassment of that blind date Kwangsoo set up for her. But here she is again, shaking her head in dismay, she look at herself in the mirror once more and smiled. She can do this.

 

Walking out of her room and towards the shoe rack, she contemplates on which shoes to put on and as her hand reach for that pair of heels she love, a thought came to mind.

 

He never liked it when I wore high heels, he said I looked too tall.

 

Cursing herself from remembering that, she grabbed the heels and put it oh. A sense of relief came upon her, she feels like herself again.

 

Turn the lock and put my headphones on
He always said he didn’t get this song but I do, I do

 

As she walked out of her place, she looked up at the sky, it’s such a nice day out and she figured that walking towards the coffee shop would be a good idea.

 

Taking her phone out of her purse, she put her headphones on and click on the first song she found. Smiling as she realised it was her favourite and as she hums along to the song, another thought came into mind.

 

He hates it whenever I hum, he said that it was annoying how out of tune I was. 

 

The smile on her face turned into a frown, why do she keep remembering everything that he said about her? She knows none of it was ever true but to hear it from someone you consider special, it hurts way too much. It left a scar that took way too long to heal. Shaking herself out of it, she turn into a corner and sees that she’s almost at the cafe.

 

I walked in, expecting you’d be late
But you got here early and you stand and wave

 

The chimed of the bell ringing throughout the cafe, signalling her arrival. She looked around and sees that only a few customers are in, she couldn’t helped but feel nervous all of a sudden.

 

She was about to take her phone out and text Kwangsoo to tell him of her arrival but out of the corner of her eye, she saw someone standing up and waving towards her direction. She turned her body towards the person and what she saw shocked her.

 

Wait. Is that Jihyo unnie?

 

I walked to you

 

Making her way towards Jihyo, she can’t help but feel confused about what’s happening. Is this a prank? Is there a camera around and her friends will pop up and say, “Gotcha!”? Or is this really real?

 

Finally standing in front of Jihyo, she can finally see that her unnie is dolled up today. With her long hair, styled in waves and her make up done to make it look natural. Her signature beanie on her head though her clothes are definitely not the sweat suit that she associated with Jihyo. She’s wearing a bomber jacket with a white turtleneck underneath and loose pants.

 

She can also see that Jihyo seemed to be just as nervous as she feels though considerably less confused.

 

You pull my chair out and help me in
You don’t know how nice that is but I do

 

Before you can ask her the many question on your head, Jihyo walked up next to you and pulled your chair out, she gestured for you to sit before she pushed the chair in then returning to her own seat.

 

Somin felt her heart flatter at that, it was a simple gesture she knows but for someone who have never been treated good by the people she dated, it felt nice. She’s pretty much sure that her face is tinted red and she met Jihyo’s gaze who only looked at her with that smile of hers.

 

A waiter came to get your orders, Jihyo looked at her and asked what she would like to have and what Somin can only utter was iced coffee. The older woman might then order herself a tea and Somin’s favourite dessert, a red velvet cheesecake.

 

As soon as the waiter left, Somin couldn’t stop herself anymore and ask. “Unnie, what are you doing here? I thought Kwangsoo Oppa is setting me up on a date.”

 

Jihyo leaned back on her chair, that smile never leaving her face as she answered, “I am your date, Somin-ah. I ask Kwangsoo to set us up on a date.”

 

You throw your head back laughing like a little kid
I think it’s strange that you think I’m funny cause he never did

 

The look on her face must’ve been on utter disbelief that Jihyo laughed out loud. She was throwing her head back while clapping her hands, the same one where it indicates she was totally having fun.

 

And she knows she should’ve felt back at being laughed at when she’s still feeling confused about everything but seeing her unnie like this, so carefree about the whole idea made her somehow felt good.

 

A soft chuckle came out of her lips then turned into a full blown laughter. The situation is still somewhat strange but in a good way. Jihyo looked at her and she joined in the laughter before she said, “It felt weird right? Good but still weird.”

 

She nodded her head at that, enjoying the way Jihyo acts right now. And she can’t help but realised that her unnie always laughed at her jokes and that always made her crack more hoping to see that infectious laughter of Jihyo. She wouldn’t even mind being called weird or crazy as long as it’s her unnie.

 

And I’ve been spending the last eight months
Thinking all love ever does is break, and burn, and end
But on a Wednesday in a cafe, I watched it begin again

 

As the laughter died down, the waiter then comes back with your order, the both of them thanked the waiter as he leave. Somin took a sip of her iced coffee while definitely eyeing the red velvet cheesecake which earned a chuckle from the older woman.

 

Jihyo pushed the dessert towards her as she said, “Go on. I ordered it for you anyway.” She then picked up her cup of tea and sip. Nodding her head as she approved of the taste. Jihyo’s glad that she let Kwangsoo think of a place to have the blind date, she barely knew any cafes or restaurant around the area.

 

The gesture made her heart flatter once again, a few minutes in and this date is proving to be the best one out of all that she had. Taking a small bite of the dessert, Somin couldn’t helped but groan, it melts slowly in and she couldn’t help but too take another bite.

 

Jihyo didn’t really mean to but she couldn’t stop herself from watching Somin. She always pride herself from being observant but she realised that the way she casually watch everything the younger woman did was definitely far from being just an unnie anymore.

 

She never really figure out when did her feelings changed but she woke up one day only to see Somin in a different light.

 

Feeling the stare of her unnie on her, it made Somin feel conscious. She can’t help but the tug on her blouse, checking to see if there are any dirt on it or creases but a hand stop her from further doing more. “Stop. You looked beautiful and there’s nothing wrong with your blouse.”

 

The way Jihyo said it made the younger woman’s cheek blush, her heart hadn’t really stopped fluttering and the butterflies in her stomach are having a party. A thought came into mind and it made her frown, she met Jihyo’s gaze and asked.

 

“Unnie, why me?”

 

“Why not you?”

 

The fast reply and the way that it was said with such confidence baffled her. She could think of a hundred reasons as to why it shouldn’t be her. She knows her unnie never really cared much for labels, genders and or any preferences. If she liked someone, she liked them. what other people will say.

 

She’ll be lying if she said that she never felt attraction towards the same gender because she does. But it never really went far ahead as to loving them. She’d also be lying if she said she never had a crush on Jihyo. Because she did. Still do.

 

How can she not? When someone as beautiful as Jihyo smiled at you? When she has a good heart and would always put other people first before her own. When she can be cute and y as hell without even doing anything. When her whole existence screamed confidence and beauty but she never really boast about it or be arrogant.

 

The list could go on and on and on but she can never measure to that. Somin felt like her unnie is far too perfect for the older woman to have feelings for her. It too far fetched for her, you see.

 

Plus he once told mr that no one wpuld ever liked me aside from him.

 

The myriad of thoughts and conflict can be seen on Somin’s face and as Jihyo continued to look, her heart aches even more. That bastard put a lot of trust issues and self doubt on Somin that the scar is still visible as to this day.

 

Somin has never been good at hiding emotions, not to Jihyo at least. The latter always figured the other one out, whether it was as trivial as accidentally scarping the chair on her newly polished floor or as big as using her credit card because Kwangsoo urged her so. For Jihyo, the younger one is an open book. Can be easily seen but never been really that easy to understand unless you put an effort in doing so.

 

Stopping the girl from adding more on the conflict inside her head, Jihyo leaned in and touch Somin’s hand, squeezing it softly as she speak, “I like you because you’re you, Somin-ah. You’ve never shied away from showing your true self. And I know, an idiot broke your heart and a whole lot more but if you would let me, I want to be with you as you heal yourself. Let me be that person beside you, cheering you on and supporting you.”

 

As Somin grew older, she had come to accept the fact that she might never had a happy ending but somehow on this particular Wednesday, she finds herself hoping yet again that maybe this could be it.

 

You said you never met one girl who
Had as many James Taylor records as you but I do

 

The conversation between the two never stopped, it flowed endlessly that never realised that it’s been an hour since their date started. It was only when Jihyo’s phone chimed that she managed to check the time. The information shocked her but also pleased her hoping heart.

 

She turned her attention back to Somin who was still listing the amount of Turbo albums that she have. She can’t help but smile, she thought she was a huge fan of them but apparently Somin was, is an even bigger fan of them.

 

“I still can’t believe you had that many albums. Did you steal money from your parents to buy them?” The tease just came out naturally for her and the desired result of Somin pouting at her, made her feel squishy inside. God, this girl seriously got her whipped.

 

“I didn’t steal money, Unnie! I made sure to save money from my allowance to buy them plus albums back then aren’t even that pricey compared to now.” Somin took a sip from her already watered down iced coffee, grimacing at the taste which made Jihyo order her a new one.

 

The simple gestures and attentiveness that Jihyo poured into her is making her feel alive. It has been awhile since she felt this. Her previous relationship as the older woman broke her, it made her feel incompetent and misunderstood. But she can feel it slowly washing away with every minute that passed by.

 

We tell stories and you don’t know why
I’m coming off a little shy but I do

 

She never felt this cared for. And finally, someone has come and understood her. That thought alone made her felt shy under the gaze of Jihyo who not once did her eyes leave her.

 

She knows Jihyo noticed her shyness but not once did she mention it or made a comment about it. She would only smile at her or squeeze her hand to calm her down.

 

So this is how it felt to be adored by someone wholeheartedly. It felt good. Really good.

 

You throw your head back laughing like a little kid
I think it’s strange that you think I’m funny cause he never did

 

Jihyo couldn’t helped the laughter that bubble inside her that wanted to escape. Somin just told her an incident that involved Sechan and Kwangsoo who tried to gang up on a drunk Jongkook only to have their asses kicked. Those two never really learned their lessons.

 

“I can’t believe those two sometimes. They know no matter how drunk Jongkook oppa is, they’ll never be able to beat him.” She managed to say in between laughs. Her stomach is already aching from all the laughter she had done today.

 

“I know right, unnie. I tried to warned them but they never listen to me. You should’ve seen how scared those two are when Oppa stood up.” Somin couldn’t helped but laughed once again as she remembered their faces with Jihyo laughing with her.

 

And I’ve been spending the last eight months
Thinking all love ever does is break, and burn, and end
But on a Wednesday in a cafe, I watched it begin again

 

This felt so good. Laughing with someone you admired had never felt this good. Somin didn’t knew how much time has passed but seeing the darkening clouds outside, it must’ve been a little after 6pm. With a subtle check on her phone, she confirmed that it was indeed after 6pm.

 

Looking at her unnie wiping the remnant of tears from their laughter earlier, she never seen her this beautiful.

 

The lighting on the cafe, complements the paleness of her skin tone and her eyes glistening from the tears, her lips painted glossy pink and that beanie adorning her wavy curls. Somin is mesmerized.

 

It was Jihyo’s turn to blush when she realised that the younger one is looking at her with mesmerisation clearly written on her face. Somin never looked at her liked that before and she couldn’t helped but feel hopeful.

 

“I’m sorry if I haven’t said it yet, Unnie. You looked really beautiful. Thought I always preferred your no make up face.” The grin on Somin’s face as she noticed Jihyo’s redden cheeks grew.

 

With the way her heart kept fluttering and the butterflies dancing in her stomach, she knew right then that this is it.

 

And we walked down the blocked to my car
I almost brought him up
But you start to talk about the movies

 

The ache in her heart as she stood up from her seat and took her purse, watching as Jihyo did the same thing, is incomparable.

 

She didn’t want this day to end but seeing as the evening deepened and the cafe soon will be closing, she knew it had to end somehow. Plus she has an early start for her work tomorrow and Jihyo does too.

 

Walking out of the cafe together, they were both in a standstill then Jihyo spoke up, “Walk me to my car?” she said as she took Somin’s hand in hers and interlaced their fingers together.

 

The action caught Somin by surprised and it made her remember.

 

He never really liked holding my hand. He said my hands are too clammy. 

 

That thought made Somin almost mention him; they already talked about him and Jihyo called him a bunch of colourful names, but the squeeze on her hand and the tightening of the hold stop her.

 

“Have I ever told you that my family really like watching The Grinch Who Stole Christmas on Christmas eve? Then they’d switch to Home Alone movies after.”

 

The talk about Christmas tradition sort of threw her out of the loop but it warmed her heart. For her unnie to distract her from the invading thoughts of him.

 

That your family watch every Christmas
And I want to talk about that

 

“At least you get to watch movies, Unnie. My family couldn’t even be bothered with that. We’ll have dinner and exchange gifts and that’s that. I wanna watch movies too.” The whine came out naturally to Somin, she always complain and whine to Jihyo especially if those two; namely Sechan and Kwangsoo ganged up on her, to which the older woman would only shake her head before reprimanding the two idiots.

 

“We can make our own tradition if you want.”

 

It was said so simple yet full of meaning and warmth. And for the first time, what’s past is past. She finally left the thoughts of him to where they’re supposed to be.

 

Arriving at Jihyo’s car, Somin couldn’t stop the pout on her lips. One hand still interlaced with Jihyo’s while the other one cling to an arm, she looked at the older woman with such sadness in her eyes that all Jihyo can do was to chuckle.

 

Patting the younger one’s cheek softly, she let her thumb caress the skin slowly as she looked into Somin’s eyes. “This is just the first date, Somin-ah. We still have a lot more to come so don’t be sad.”

 

That made Somin smile, the softness of her unnie’s palm against her cheek is soothing her. “I really had fun today, Unnie. Thank you.”

 

“No. Thank you.”

 

As the two continued to look into each other’s eyes, the unspoken words are delivered and received well. Leaning in, she gently place a soft kiss on Jihyo’s cheek. A promise which was return with a kiss to her own cheek. Her smile grew wider.

 

The older woman got into her car finally after reluctantly pulling away from Somin’s hands. She lowered down her window and waved good bye as she slowly pull out the parking. “Drive safely, unnie! Text me when you get home.”

 

Watching as Jihyo drove away from the cafe, one thing is for sure.

 

On that Wednesday in that cafe, she watched it begin again