hands in mine.

so sweetly

i.

 

minjeong foresaw this coming the moment she took a look at the asserted pairing in the sheet for their upcoming gaming live. still, it never meant she would be prepared or be less self-conscious when ningning decides to invade her space and hook her chin on her shoulder as they were reading the comments.

 

minjeong's senses would spike then, lips forming into a thin line and her body rigid. strangely enough, she manages to look normal externally. 

 

"you died?" she asks in soft whisper, turning her head ever so slightly, her lips were inches away from ningning's temple.

 

ningning lets out a whimper for an answer, lips pursed as she watches her character being looted by the enemy ruthlessly. minjeong could only chuckle, pat the girl on the head before going back to reading the comments.

 

"leave it to unnie line to carry then." minjeong says, followed by a string of shrieks and squeals by the said duo who then announced their untimely deaths in disappointment.

 

eventually, they all burst into laughter. it's a pleasant warmth, even more so with ningning's arm looped around minjeong's, soft cheeks on her shoulder.

 

ii.

 

they're at a radio broadcast station centre for an interview. minjeong is a little dazed— has every reason to be, since their schedule for the day was jam-packed, having barely any time to rest. the lethargy is starting to sink in, she's merely relieved that the radio show was the last item on their agenda.

 

standing idly behind her chair, minjeong's eyes travel to their group's leader giddily handing their album out to the host before exchanging timid bows and shy smiles. aeri follows close behind jimin and they chatted a bit.

 

by then, minjeong's out of focus. her ears subconsciously tuned out their conversation, she doesn't realise she's zoned out until she feels a pair of hands on her shoulders. the contact slightly jerks her awake, pulling her out of blank state. when minjeong turns her head, she's greeted with a smile so soft she wishes it to be directed at her everyday.

 

it's ning.

 

in the state of recovering from her reverie, minjeong could barely make out the shape of ningning's lips as they parted and closed. the girl was mouthing something and it took her a while before she could comprehend.

 

"we're taking a picture with the host." 

 

and it's only then minjeong realises that the rest of the members were already lined up in one corner of the studio, jimin's hand reaching out to usher the youngest duo over with aeri looking at them with anticipation. 

 

a soft hand covers one of minjeong's own like a warm duvet on a wintry evening. ningning tugs her over, with that same soft smile, and they eventually join the rest.

 

minjeong tries not to think about the way ningning snakes her arms around her shoulders from the back as they pose for a picture, firm yet gentle against her chest. she tries not to think about ningning's warm breath occasionally grazing the shell of her ear, her nape or the way she could feel the girl's smile without even having to turn to look.

 

minjeong's lips curl up (and maybe it was the widest smile she's flashed that day), clutches the pair of arms embracing her wholeheartedly.

 

iii.

 

minjeong would have believed they were magnets in their past lives. maybe not them entirely, but their arms most likely. she doesn't really know what compels them to hold each other's forearms (she swears it's mostly ningning), they seem to gravitate towards each other without even realising. 

 

be it when they're walking or sitting, talking or not, minjeong would find ningning's hand on her arm briefly. sometimes, it lingers a little too long (but minjeong doesn't think much about it).

 

they're filming a behind the scenes on one of the music shows. the camera's on them, they're talking about their favourite bsides in their album. 

 

minjeong has the mic in hand, swiftly holding it out for her members to take after claiming her favourite track. ningning's beside her, and she starts talking about her favourite track, all the while keeping a hand wrapped around minjeong's which was holding the mic, and the other gently grasping minjeong's forearm.

 

"i choose lucid dream! it's our first slow song and it's kind of r&b, really nice!" ningning beams, passion in her voice as her face lights up.

 

minjeong's chuckles mingle perfectly with her members'. her eyes took a quick glance, the mic is in aeri's hands now. she's at the other end.

 

and ningning's still holding her arm.

 

would it be silly for minjeong to think that if this is a dream, she never wants to wake up? 

 

 

iv.

 

it's when they exit out of their frequented café that minjeong could feel eyes on them, the subtle sound of the phone camera shutters going off in the distance. she doesn't really mind it, relieved that they're keeping their distance. she even flashes an eye smile when she looks directly at one of the cameras pointed at her.

 

"ah really, why do i always have to be the one ordering for them? i'm glad you accompanied me, unnie. sometimes, it gets lonely on my way back." ningning says, voice a little muffled with her mask on.

 

minjeong laughs, light and airy. 

 

"it's 'cause you have a good memory, ning-ah." she retorts, earning a playful glare.

 

ningning starts to talk her ear off (minjeong doesn't mind, she's equally loud sometimes), chirpy and sometimes bouncing in her steps that minjeong has to give her a gentle reminder that the girl was carrying drinks, to which ningning would then giggle sheepishly. 

 

minjeong's hands are full, filled with baked goods in the disposable carriers she's holding. ningning's holding the one with coffee— there's six, each one filled to the brim and it's a little heavy. 

 

it doesn't seem to stop the youngest from smoothly linking her free arm around minjeong's though. it could've been easy fanservice with all the cameras on them but minjeong smiles behind her mask nonetheless, ningning keeping a firm grip on her arm as they saunter down a slope.

 

v.

 

minjeong finds it endearing that when ningning has something to show her, she would immediately latch her dainty hand around minjeong's wrist, pulling her along to whatever had intrigued her enough that she wanted to show minjeong.

 

sometimes, it's merely without any reason at all. like when they're on a break during practice and minjeong is mindlessly mooning around the room as she mouths the lyrics to their songs. ningning comes walking up to her covering up a yawn, in all her croptop and sweatpants glory.

 

minjeong flits her eyes away when ningning stretches her arms high above her head. 

 

"sleepy?" minjeong asks, arms akimbo.

 

a lazy nod, and minjeong raises a brow when slender fingers wrap loosely around her wrist. her eyes darted from their hands to ningning, exhaustion evident on her face.

 

"hang in there, just a little longer." minjeong murmurs into her ear, doesn't realise the reddening ears of the youngest as she pulls away. 

 

minjeong feels a thumb rubbing against the inner side of her wrist, and pays no attention to the weird bubbling feeling in the pit of her stomach.

 

their dance teacher gives them a heads up, ningning doesn't pull away until jimin ultimately tells them it's time to get in place. and then it's mundane all over again without ningning's warmth against her.

 

+1.

 

"we're really seeing mys in the crowd tonight, i'm so nervous..." ningning, who's usually animated and loud, is a little turbulent tonight. 

 

it isn't just her really, the rest of them are jittery too, hands clammy and the incessant tapping of their feet. the thought of finally meeting their beloved fans in person when they're performing live later tugs at their heartstrings. hearts thundering loud against their chests as if they were to leap out any moment.

 

noticing ningning looking a little out of it, minjeong reaches out to place her hand in hers. when ningning turns to look at her, minjeong gives her a reassuring smile, a silent message telling her that it's alright. 

 

"aespa, you girls are up in five!"

 

minjeong squeezes the small hand in hers, before pulling away to go up the stage.

 

even in the midst of their introduction to the audience, minjeong's hand finds ningning's with ease. their fingers intertwine, grip firm as adrenaline surges through their veins spotting their fans silently cheering for them in the dimly lit crowd. 

 

"this is real, everything's real..." minjeong hears ningning mutter under her breath as her eyes scan the live audience, sparkling with awe and bliss. her lips start to tremble, the sight made minjeong tear her gaze away from ningning, abruptly feeling a lump in her own throat. 

 

she nods, glassy eyes lingering on the audience. when she whips her head to look back at ningning, the girl is already looking at her with eyes so fond, and a bright smile etched on her cherry lips.

 

yeah, this is real.