Nothing else matters

Nothing else matters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  

Lee Hwi gasps, her body heaving as a wave of nausea flips her queasy stomach.

She never knew this until today, but she is definitely not one for sea travel.

One would think that riding a boat would be exactly the same as riding a horse - bumpy, and gets you to your destination in a rocking fashion. One would think that one who is an adept horse rider would be perfectly fine on a boat - hell, she does not even need to squeeze the boat, nor guide it with cooing commands. 

The sea is a choppy mess of green and white, against a placid blue sky. Hwi purses her lips to keep the bile that is rising up , with little success. 

She heaves again into the water.

"That's it. Don't try to keep it in, your Royal Highness." Jung Jiwoon says quietly, his large hand petting her back in warm, gentle .

"Just let it all out as it comes along." 

Hwi groans, her legs feeling like jelly as she clutches the rails of the boat for support.

It is embarrassing, really. To let her tutor witness all of this.

A flash of annoyance strikes her chest as she takes in his concerned face. He, on the other hand, seems perfectly unbothered by the up and down motion of their boat. 

"Stop pouting, it makes me want to kiss you, Wife." He says, wiping her lips with his sleeve. She tucks her lips in almost immediately at his playful words.

His eyes turn into tiny crescents as a smile lit his face. 

"We're almost here," he says, giving her lip a last, tender wipe, his thumb lingering for a moment longer than necessary.

The world seems to still its movements, and Hwi can feel her face burning. 

He finally lets go of her, after hiding her face behind the silken cover of her embroidered jang-ot.

A loud knock catches her attention, just as the boat hits the dock, rocking violently from side to side.

Hwi loses balance. 

Her legs are moving too slowly, for her liking, as if she is walking in water. Hwi loses balance. She hates how limp her entire body feels, and cannot wait to get to steady, solid ground. 

"I've got you," says Jiwoon as he held her in his embrace.

His body warmth envelopes her entire frame. 

"I've got you." He says again. "C'mon, one step in front of the other."

The boatmen are calling out to each other as they secure the wooden vessel with heavy ropes, but Hwi barely heard them.

She allows herself to lean onto Jiwoon lightly, and focuses on his low, soothing murmurs as he guides her towards the large plank connecting them to the pier. 

She sighs when her foot reaches the brown, blessed earth. The primitive urge to sink to her knees and feel the ground with her palms is strong, but that would be too undignified. 

"Can you walk on your own?" Jiwoon asks, his grip on her loosening. She nods, reluctant to leave his arms, but thankful that strength was returning to her body with her every step on solid ground. 

Together, they cross into what seems like a bustling shopping street. Vendors line the pathway, displaying their colourful wares for all to see and calling out to passerbys in cheerful voices.

Hwi smiles, watching the people go about their day - fully engrossed in their activities and working hard to make a living. 

A simple, yet blissful life.

It is all she ever wanted.

And now, her father had granted it to her. 

"Are you meeting Commander Yoon?" he asks. 

She nods. "Father has made arrangements for me to live in a safe house beyond the mountain. I am to meet the rest of the entourage at the Buddhist temple in the woods." 

"Alone?" She gazes up into his searching, concerned eyes. And nods again. 

"I'll be fine." She says, she knows what he's asking and knows it's not safe for him to join her. "We've travelled so far away from the palace, I don't think I'll be recognisable. I think we lost the soldiers too." She says.

She presses down the rising alarm at the thought of parting ways with him. 

Should she succumb to this childish desire for him to remain by her side? Will she even see him again? 

And what if she doesn't? 

"Royal Tutor Jung," she says impulsively.

I am Yeon Seon.

"I- I have something to tell you." 

I am your Yeon Seon. 

But he doesn't wait for her to continue.

"How could I leave you with no , my prince." He says. "You've lived a life of luxury and comfort. I wonder how you will survive in this harsh world." Jiwoon has a glint in his eye. 

"Ah, indeed. As a dutiful citizen of our Kingdom, I have no choice but to you. At least, until you meet Commander Yoon." 

Of course.

The Jung Jiwoon she knows would do whatever he wants, regardless of anyone's opinion. Hwi has a love-hate relationship with this side of the witty man. 

She chuckles, somewhat relieved that he interrupted her. That he made the difficult decision to stay with her. 

There will be time to tell him.

Soon. 

She meets his eyes, her mind searching for a clever quip to respond, when a flash of panic crosses his handsome features.

Jiwoon grabs her hand and starts running, dragging her alongside him.  

Hwi stumbles, tripping over her own feet as she tries to keep up. 

"Over there! Stop them!" A man bellows from behind them. 

Dread unravels across her chest when she recognises the agitated voice. The all-too-familiar voice of Inspector Jung, Jiwoon's father.

And he is not alone.

She can hear the sound of swift footsteps following close. It sounds like he brought a contingent of soldiers across the sea with him. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter