all too well

all too well

☆ A brief guide:
- Kang Seulgi, 20 years old, a college student (unmentioned major).
- Bae Irene, 32 years old, a doctor.

ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ

𝘐 𝘸𝘢𝘭𝘬𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘰𝘰𝘳 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶
𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘪𝘳 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘭𝘥
𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘧𝘦𝘭𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘩𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘩𝘰𝘸
𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘐, 𝘭𝘦𝘧𝘵 𝘮𝘺 𝘴𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘴𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳'𝘴 𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘦
𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘷𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘥𝘳𝘢𝘸𝘦𝘳 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯 𝘯𝘰𝘸.

The laces seemed to not help much with the long hair covering half her face, trying to survive the wind. She stood near the street lights, one hand is wrapped around the other's. Irene opened the door and both then in. Seulgi closed it slowly, leaving the shivering out in the cold. They breathed air from the open balcony, hold on the metal strings. It was chilly and comforting, but Irene's expression was rather unpleasant toward something.

"You good?" Seulgi asked with worry.

Irene nodded, "But it's usually not this cold. I'll grab my coat." 

"No, no, wait," Seulgi stopped her on her wrist, gently. She loosen down her beige scarf and wrapped it around Irene's neck, fixing the position to make sure she's comfortable, till the fabric started to hug Irene's body warmly. She caressed Irene's hair and tucked both sides behind her ears.

Seulgi lingered her arms around Irene's back waist, her shoulders leaned on Seulgi's broad chest, eyes to the view of the city, "Warm now?"

She held Seulgi's hand on her waist, "Yes, thank you." 

𝘊𝘢𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘪𝘥𝘥𝘭𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵
𝘞𝘦'𝘳𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘪𝘯𝘨 '𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘬𝘪𝘵𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘧𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘰𝘳 𝘭𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵
𝘋𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘳𝘴, 𝘐 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦
𝘐 𝘳𝘦𝘮𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 𝘪𝘵 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘰𝘰 𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘭.

Seulgi stared at a piece of paper she's been sketching for an hour. It was full of Irene, rabbits, some random words and comic panels, and Irene again. While Irene was sitting next to her in the dinning chairs in the kitchen, lost in her own mind.

"What are you reading?" Seulgi said.

"A medical book about choledocholithiasis."

"About what?"

"Choledocholithiasis."

"It sounds like a made up word." Seulgi chuckled, rolling her eyes and putting down her pencil. She stood upㅡwhich, it distracted Ireneㅡand grabbed Irene's hand to also stand up, asking her for a dance.

"Seulgi... I have work to do." Irene responded it with unsteady move of body and a long sigh. She didn't refuse to stand up but she was a little hesitant to do so.

Seulgi shushed her, brought her close with her other arm greeted Irene's, cupped her small waist all to herself, their body touched, feeling the heart pounded, "You've worked enough."

"We don't have music to dance to." Irene said, looking up at Seulgi.

"I can hum for you."

Then she started serenading, with Irene head on her chest, swayed left and right, spinned and whirled Irene around before catching her body into an embrace again. With the fridge light, they collide.

𝘞𝘦𝘭𝘭, 𝘮𝘢𝘺𝘣𝘦 𝘸𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘴𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯
𝘔𝘢𝘺𝘣𝘦 𝘐 𝘢𝘴𝘬𝘦𝘥 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘰𝘰 𝘮𝘶𝘤𝘩
𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘮𝘢𝘺𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘢 𝘮𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘱𝘪𝘦𝘤𝘦
𝘛𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘶𝘱
𝘙𝘶𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘥, 𝘐 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦
𝘐 𝘳𝘦𝘮𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 𝘪𝘵 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘰𝘰 𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘭.

"You're here? I thought you have classes to attend today?" Irene took off her gloves and her mask, she was dressing all white in that long white medical suit, hair tied tight, eyes were tired.

"I skipped them." Seulgi answered, she had been there in Irene's room doorway in the hospital for an hour or two, waiting her to finish her work.

"What? Why?"

"Because I wanted to meet you?"

"Seulgi..."

"Doctor Irene, it's gonna be fine. I wanted to be here with you."

𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘴𝘢𝘺 𝘢𝘭𝘭'𝘴 𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘭, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘐'𝘮 𝘪𝘯 𝘢 𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘩𝘦𝘭𝘭.
𝘌𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰𝘶𝘣𝘭𝘦-𝘤𝘳𝘰𝘴𝘴 𝘮𝘺 𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘥
𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘢𝘪𝘥 𝘪𝘧 𝘸𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘥 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦𝘳 𝘪𝘯 𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘺𝘣𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘸𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘦
𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘮𝘢𝘥𝘦 𝘮𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘪𝘦.

There were wines or champagnes, either foods or snacks, table was full, chairs were filled. Chatters were everywhere to be heard, and so were laughters. 

Seulgi was having fun listening to her friends talk while all Irene heard was saying like, 'You're so lucky! Got that Doctor!' or 'Whoa, that is more challenging for you or what, Kang?' 

"Excuse me," Irene broke the chatter, though it wasn't much affecting, they just won't have their mouth shut for real. She stood up and left.

Seulgi ran towards her, but Irene didn't have the urge to even stop and look back. 

"Hey, what is it with you?" Seulgi shouted from the other corner, hoping it'd stop Irene to grab the door knob.

She turned her body, "What is it with you? Are you gonna be like this forever, Seulgi?"

"What? Like what?"

"Abandoning your responsibility, getting drunk. For the love of God, grow up."

Seulgi laughed sarcastically, "What. Are you, like, my mother? I've told you my college s would be fine. Why care so much about that? Can't we just take a moment to be happy cause you finally, at least, have a time for a party? For a date rather than a work shift?"

Irene held the tears not to fall down, she tried to pull herself together. Her voice went low, "You're so childish."

And then she left, all alone, the snow started pouring the time her boots touched the ground, it was winter approaching, autumn fell behind and so was Seulgi and Irene's warm story. 

There was only cold.

Then it was winter forever.

𝘊𝘢𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘪𝘵𝘺'𝘴 𝘣𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘦𝘯 𝘤𝘰𝘭𝘥
𝘐 𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘳𝘦𝘮𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘰𝘧 𝘴𝘯𝘰𝘸
𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘪𝘵 𝘨𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘢𝘴 𝘪𝘵 𝘧𝘦𝘭𝘭
𝘐 𝘳𝘦𝘮𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 𝘪𝘵 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘰𝘰 𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘭.