one

on drunken nights and motel bars

 

 

 

It was a Friday night and Yoona was about to go to her usual spot at her favorite bar after long hours of working.

 

Driving up to the motel bar was kinda long, it was a 30 minute drive from her work place. Ah, right. A motel bar. She and her ex used to come there often when they were still together.

 

Yuri... she loved that person too much but the latter didn't knew what she had until she's gone. Yuri cheated on her multiple times. It wasn't even once, or twice. Probably 10 times with different people.

 

She was listening to the radio while driving, the song that was playing was "Moon River", she has always liked the originality and the classic melodies of that song.

 

When she pulled up on the front door of the motel, the bouncer instantly smiled at her and parked her car on the parking lot. She smiled at him in return.

 

It wasn't late at night, it was just past 7. People, mostly couples, because this is a motel after all, were busy chit-chatting with each other to notice her arrival.

 

They were laughing, talking to each other about everything and anything. And she was envious of them. She wanted that kind of happiness. She wanted to feel happiness.

 

She was just drinking, no one has ever approached her ever since Yuri and her broke up, oh, let me rephrase that. She didn't like people approaching her so she just didn't give a about them.

 

She was happy with herself. She finally realised that Yuri did not deserve her or the feelings she had towards her before. Thank God she realised it early.

 

There were a live band performing in the stage. At first, it was just the band. Then, later on, they introduced someone, a singer, I think?

 

She was a she. A girl. I was waiting for her to sing, a drink in my hand. From afar, she looked small, tacky, even. She wasn't that pretty. But maybe she has talent.

 

When she started singing, I was shocked. I didn't expect that kind of voice coming out from . Her voice was... inexplicable. It was divine yet solemn and powerful at the same time.

 

Her voice can take you on a different universe or whatever cheesiness people say. But really, her voice... it was one of a kind. I have never heard of anyone sing like she does.

 

I was just staring at her while she's performing. Whenever she smiles, I couldn't also stop myself from smiling. Her smile is contagious.

 

She was preparing for her last song. She was introducing it to people, hinting about the plot of the song or whomever made it or sang it. But I was just intently looking at her, pure admiration, I might add.

 

Then she told the audience what she's gonna sing. It was that song. The one I really like. Moon River. When she sang the first verse, I even thought that it was an angel singing at the stage. But it was just her.

 

Her voice enraptured me, her voice captures people. Takes them to wherever they want to go.

 

After her performance, she sat a few tables away from me. I was alone. And she was alone too. But I couldn't just walk up to her and ask her if I could sit with her. Or can I?

 

I ordered a champagne and asked the waiter to give it to her. When the waiter told her that someone just gave her a glass of champagne, she instantly wandered her eyes around, looking for the person who instructed the waiter to give her the drink.

 

She smiled at me shyly. I nodded to her and also smiled. She then continued whatever she's doing on her phone.

 

I was observing her for a few minutes... but she wasn't drinking the champagne I gave her. Does she not want to drink expensive alcohol?

 

The thought made my brows furrow in confusion. I mustered up my courage and decided to approach the girl. Maybe it's the alcohol talking. I'm not even courageous when it comes to these kind of things. 

 

She was busy with her cellphone to even look at me. I'm taking back what I said. She is pretty. When you're up close, she's even more prettier. She resembles like an angel.

 

I was contemplating with my self whether I'll go to her and ask her or not. I don't even know why to ask her! I thought about backing out and returning to my spot, drinking tequila and just drink my sorrows away. 

 

But that wasn't the case. The alcohol made me somewhat... courageous. It was scary, I was anxious yet excited to talk to the girl. So I did. 

 

"Hi, you didn't liked what I ordered?" I kindly asked.

 

She looked up to me, its because I was still standing next to her.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry. I uh, I don't really drink so, I'm sorry, I think?" she shyly answered.

 

Even her speaking voice is pretty. She talks with a lot of politeness in her tone.

 

"Oh. I didn't know, it's okay. I should be the one saying sorry. Can I sit with you?" I asked her, courageously.

 

She smiled in response, she also nodded, indicating that it was okay to sit next to her.

 

"Thank you for the drink, nonetheless." she answered, still shy.

 

"You don't need to be so polite with me. I'm Yoona, by the way." I introduced myself. 

 

I offered my hand in front of her and she gladly accepted it.

 

"I'm Juhyun. Seo Juhyun. Nice to meet you, Yoona." she answered politely.

 

I smiled at it. She really is polite.

 

"The pleasure is all mine, miss Juhyun." I answered.

 

There was a silent pause between us. We just knew each other, and we're probably both shy. I just decided to break the ice between us.

 

"So, singing, huh? You were great up there, by the way. Your voice is beautiful." I honestly said which made her blush.

 

"Ah, you're too kind. Thank you, it's just a hobby. Gotta work so I can pay up my bills." she politely joked. I chuckled lightly.

 

"I see. Well, it's amusing to know that someone who doesn't drink performs at a bar." she chuckled at what I said.

 

"I kinda like the atmosphere here. My unnies tried to make me drink before, took me here. And I thought, the ambiance here was really great. I decided to come here after that. Not to drink though, but to perform." she explained.

 

She also explains really well. And she's pretty. Talented too.

 

"That's also great, I mean, not drinking is also cool." I answered like a dumb person.

 

I heard her chuckle once again. She must think I'm funny or something.

 

"What about you? What do you do? Or should I ask, why do you drink?" emphasizing on the word "you".

 

"I uh, just happen to like drinking?" I answered doubtfully.

 

"Do you?" she joked. I smiled.

 

"Just like you, I also enjoy the ambiance here. Its a great bar. That's probably why I don't go on different bars. Just this one." I explained.

 

"Oh, so you're a loyal type. That's great." she smiled.

 

"I like it here but... Do you wanna go off to somewhere else, maybe? Have a dinner or something? Is that okay? You can say no, if you want to." I nervously asked her.

 

I seriously asked someone out and this is also the first time we met. Wow, way to go, Im Yoona.

 

"Dinner is great. I haven't eaten, to be honest." she smiled.

 

Seeing her smile makes me smile too. Her smile was a contagious one.

 

"Let's go then, do you have anything you want to eat?" I asked her again, trying to lighten up the mood by asking her questions.

 

"You decide. I'm good with anything just let's eat ice cream after?" she shyly smiled.

 

I also smiled at the sudden shyness, she's cute.

 

"Of course, you can never really go wrong with ice cream. Let's go?" I asked her and offered her my hand. She gladly took it which made me even happier.

 

We arrived at a diner, it wasn't packed so it's better than those restaurants with a lot of customers inside. That'll be way too noisy.

 

I smiled when I saw who I'm sitting with. She's in front of me, looking at the menu given by the waiter earlier.

 

My eyes were still stuck on her until she cleared and asked me what I want to eat.

 

"I've already ordered mine, what do you want, Yoona?" she asked me politely.

 

"I'll just take a steak and some mashed potatoes. Well done, please." I told the waiter.

 

She was casually glancing at the diner. If u didn't knew her I might probably think that she was looking for someone or something.

 

"So, what do you do? Well, except for performing?" I asked her. 

 

I was definitely curious about that one. And maybe more?

 

"Oh, I'm a grad student. I'm taking medicine." she smiled at me.

 

"Wow, I'm having a dinner with a doctor. That's great!" I immediately squealed.

 

She just laughed at my antics. I just got too excited.

 

"Well, I'm not technically a doctor yet but thank you so much. How about you though? What do you do?" she asked me with complete innocence in her face.

 

"I just have some business, I guess. If I could call it that." I smiled when I remembered my restaurant.

 

"Oh, that's interesting. What kind of business?" she asked me.

 

"I own a restaurant. I mean I co-own it. I have my other unnie handling it with me. We both liked eating so we thought, "why don't we make use of our talent in cooking and eating?", so that was the main goal of our business." I smiled while explaining.

 

I saw her creeping up a smile too. Maybe she liked our goal.

 

"That's great, wow. I'm talking to an entrepreneur and a restaurant owner!" she laughed. 

 

And I suddenly caught myself laughing with her. There wasn't even anything funny. It was just her laughter was contagious, I couldn't help myself to laugh with her.

 

Later after that, our dinner was already on our table and we started eating while talking to each other about everything and anything.

 

Just like how I wanted. To have someone to talk to with everything and anything about anyone. I have it here in front of me. It's great. This feels great.

 

When we finished eating dinner, I took her on the nearest ice cream shop right near the block.

 

I was right behind her when she was excitedly walking to the ice cream shop. She's bewildering, I like her company. I smiled widely while looking at her.

 

"Hey, you're so slow. Come on!" she told me excitedly then took my hands and guided me to the ice cream shop.

 

Meeting her was like fate. It was like we were meant to meet, one way or another. It felt right. 

 

She was so giddy and happy while choosing what flavor of ice cream she wanted and I thought it was cute. She was like a little girl who's going out to have ice cream secretly. 

 

She ordered 5 scoops of different flavors. I just laughed at her cuteness. She was jumping a little when she saw the ice cream being put on our table. 

 

I wandered my eyes around, I shouldn't have. I didn't know why I did it in the first place. Everything I wanted was right in front of me. A great company, and ice cream. 

 

Yet I still wandered my eyes around. Only to see the pair of brown locks who made me suffer for the past few months. And she has the audacity to smile at me like she did nothing wrong. 

 

I felt her stares even when I wasn't looking at her anymore. I was focusing on Juhyun. The pretty girl whom I enjoyed being with tonight. 

 

"Hey, is anything wrong? Didn't you like what I ordered?" she asked me worriedly. 

 

"Deja vu, huh? I like it, Juhyun. I just saw someone I wasn't intending to see." I forced a smile. 

 

"Wanna get out of here?" she asked me again. Offering her hand to me. To save me from the sudden ness this night turned out to be when I saw her. 

 

I gladly took her hand. She was holding the ice cream cup on her other hand while she was holding my hand on the other. 

 

I was curious if she wanted me to tell her who I saw. We were just walking around a park. It's already past 10 but she's still eating her ice cream. She wanted goguma but there wasn't one at the store earlier. 

 

"I'm sorry about earlier. Your eating-ice-cream time was disturbed by my sudden mood changes." guilt creeping up on me. 

 

She just smiled and shook her head at me. 

 

"You don't need to be sorry. Besides, this was the last cup and I wanted you to go out here so you can breathe. I didn't want you to be somewhere you aren't comfortable." she explained, that made me smile. 

 

"Thank you, Juhyun. You're the least crappy person I've ever met in my life." I smiled at her. She stopped eating her ice cream for a moment. 

 

"Uhm, I guess, I'll take that as a compliment?" she suddenly laughed. 

 

"Sorry for my sudden sappy line. Its true though." she just smiled at me. 

 

Her phone suddenly rang. She excused herself to answer her phone. Someone just called her. 

 

She then came back after the call, looking all apologetic. She's really cute. 

 

"Hey, Yoona. I think I have to go now, it's already past 11 and my mom's gonna kill me. It's way past my curfew." she say smiled at me. 

 

It's already time. She has to go home. The thought of it made me sad. 

 

"It's okay, I'll drive you home. My car is parked outside the bar. Let's just get it real quick then we'll go. How's that sound?" I asked her, fumbling with the keys on my pocket. 

 

"I'd like that." she smiled at me. 

 

It wasn't a long drive. I mean, from the bar up to her house. It wasn't a long drive. I just wanted to make sure she's safe when she comes home. 

 

"So, I'll probably see you soon?" I asked her. She then smiled at me. 

 

"You should. Here's my number. Call me, okay?" she told me before kissing me on my cheek which made my face go red all of a sudden. 

 

"Good bye, tomato Yoona. I'll see you soon. Drive safely, okay?" she told me then went out of the car. 

 

I was giggling on my way home. Reminiscing Juhyun's kiss, how she ate her ice cream, how she sang in front of dozens of people. 

 

I got home and immediately texted her. 

 

"I'll see you soon, Juhyun ;)" she then sent the text and went to bed. 

 

This is what I wanted. The giddiness and happiness, all of it. And I've got it. I think? I just have to work hard to get her to like me. 

 

You make me feel better, I hope I make you feel better too. 

 

[END] 

 

A/N: hello, everyone!! nung 15 ko pa dapat to ipupublish kasi I wanted to give you something nung birthday ko. I didn't had the chance to kasi super pagod ako that day. I had fun, nonetheless. I hope you're enjoying din, guys. sana magustuhan niyo!!