end

hold on, there’s something on your face

Sweat sticks uncomfortably to her back, a reminder of the hot day outside. With overstuffed grocery bags in her arms and an eco bag hanging on her shoulder, Bora struggles with the door before letting herself in. An excited pomeranian greets her as she walks in, jumping and circling around at her feet. The fluffy white pomeranian happily wagging her tail at the sight of a familiar person.

 

"Cherry!" she coos, peeking out her head amidst the grocery bags. She quickly runs to the kitchen, putting down all the stuff she bought earlier. She turns around and sees Cherry is following her with her tiny paws. Bora bends down and softly scratches Cherry’s ears, finally able to greet her properly. Cherry tilts her head, her pearly black eyes looking into Bora’s before affectionately nuzzling into Bora’s touch. Bora's heart warms at the sight, beaming as she gently the soft fur between Cherry’s ears.

"You want snacks?”

At the mention of snacks, Cherry perks up in an instant. Bora lets out a laugh and scoops the fluffy dog up from the floor, carrying her in her arms as she walks back to the kitchen where Minji kept Cherry’s snacks in the cabinets, “You and your mom really are the same, aren’t you?” she says to the pomeranian. As if she understands what Bora is saying, Cherry gives her a toothy smile.

Bora spends some time playing with Cherry in the living room while giving her snacks, only going back to the kitchen after Cherry has fallen asleep on the couch.

Once she is in the kitchen, she moves smoothly as she takes out all the ingredients and the baking tools she needs before starting. She could just do this in her own house but then she would have to deal with her roommate's wandering hands--stealing strawberries and chocolate chips, or maybe even a whole slice of the cake. Besides, Minji's kitchen is way more spacious and her oven is bigger than hers.

(She once said that to Yoohyeon when the girl asked but her roommate claimed that's just her excuse to spend more time at Minji's--which is actually... not wrong.)

After mixing all the ingredients in the stand mixer, Bora grabs a heart-shaped pan and pour the batter into it. Making sure the temperature and timer are all set, she puts the pan inside the oven and moves on to the next important thing: the frosting.

She is already covered in flour and cocoa powder when she's done with her frosting. Taking a glance into the oven from time to time, she watches the cake batter slowly take its form. She continues with her chocolate ganache, stirring it until the mixture is looking rich and smooth.

She huffs out a sigh when she notices her chocolate-stained apron. It would be no surprise if there is a wild chocolate chip already lost its way and got lodged inside her bra. No, she’s pretty certain it’s actually in there now.

Bora can hear a click of the door and Cherry's excited bark greeting Minji from work when she takes out the cake from the oven.

"Oh, hello there," Minji appears in the kitchen with a smile, cradling Cherry in her arms. She’s already out of her blazer, but her white shirt is still tucked inside her pants, and her sleeves are rolled up loosely to her elbows, showing her forearms. The same forearms that had been around her waist, always holding her close.

"Hey, you're early today," she greets Minji, offering her a smile.

“Mm-hmm,” Minji nods as she comes closer, eyeing the mess on the table, “What’s the occasion?” she asks as she takes a seat, putting Cherry on her lap.

Bora laughs, "No occasion, just feel like a bake-a-cake kind of day," she shrugs while taking out the cake from the pan and putting it on the rack, letting it cool down. "I would go there and kiss you but I'm all dirty right now," she tucks in her chin, pointing at her stained apron.

"I like you all dirty though," Minji smiles sweetly as she rests her elbow on the table, palm under her chin. Her smile radiates innocence despite the implication being far from that.

Bora can't help but to let a chuckle out, "Unbelievable," she shakes her head, trying to hide the flutter in her heart. Seeing Cherry trying to wriggle her way out of Minji's arm, Bora points at her, "I already gave her snacks earlier."

Minji pouts before setting Cherry down, "No wonder she doesn't care about me," Minji turns her attention back to Bora, "What are you making?"

Minji leans forward and scans the table. Bora watches as Minji picks up a strawberry from the bowl, placing it between her lips and biting the strawberry. Her eyes linger on Minji’s lips, she notes that Minji’s lips are as red as the strawberry. She gulps as her gaze catches the sweet juices dripping down Minji’s lips, and she thinks it is ridiculous someone could look this y and seductive while doing something so mundane, like eating a strawberry.

(Yes, it’s okay if Minji is the one who steals her strawberries. She could give all the strawberries in the world if that’s what Minji wants. And Yoohyeon would say she’s just whipped but Yoohyeon doesn’t have a Kim Minji as her girlfriend, so what does she know?)

Bora snaps back to reality and shakes her thoughts, she looks up and Minji is looking at her with an expectant gaze, waiting for her answer. “What?”

“I asked, what are you making?” Minji laughs, “Where did you go?”

Right, Minji did ask her earlier. Curse that strawberry for distracting her. “I’m trying this new strawberry chocolate cake recipe,” Bora answers after clearing and collecting herself.

Minji nods while popping another strawberry into , “Hmm, do you need any help?”

“Nope, it’s okay, you can rest,” Bora assures as she starts spreading chocolate frosting between the layers with a spatula. Minji moves past her, Bora hears the water running from the sink behind her.

Bora looks up to face Minji when she senses her girlfriend standing close next to her while drying her hands with a kitchen towel. Her eyes meet Minji’s who is attentively looking at her. Before she could ask, Minji puts the towel aside and cups her face gently, her eyes examining Bora’s face.

“What are you doing?” Bora asks, eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

“Hold on, there’s something on your face,” Minji responds and Bora sighs in annoyance, thinking it must be the frosting that somehow ended up on her face. But then Minji leans in and kisses her on her lips, soft and full of love, “It was me.”

“Cheesy,” Bora scoffs softly. A grin breaks out across her face, she feels her face grows red.

Minji bursts into laughter, looking all smug because she loves being the reason why Bora got all red and flustered. “That’s because I love you,” Minji leans in and gives her another peck before leaving the kitchen.

Bora rolls her eyes and watches Minji walks away. Her own smile blooms along her lips, completely involuntary. It is insane how even after all this time, Minji still managed to make her cheeks turn red and get the butterflies in her stomach going crazy. Bora shakes her head in amusement at herself but still can’t help the fond smile that stays plastered across her lips.

Not that she minds, though.

The moment she finishes decorating her cake with ganache and strawberries, she places it on the counter and proceeds to clean up the mess she made earlier.

Bora wipes the sweat that trickles down her forehead while walking to the living room. She stops in her tracks when she sees Minji on the couch, peacefully dozing off in her strawberry-patterned pyjamas with sleeping Cherry snuggled up comfortably on her chest. Bora catches herself smiling at the sight, warmth flooding her chest. She thinks she can get used to this, and maybe, she wants more of this.

This being Minji, Cherry and her living together under one roof. Admittedly, she has already spent (more than) enough time at Minji’s for her roommate to pester her with ‘so, are you going to move in with her yet?’. Little did she know Bora has already planned to do just that.

Bora crouches down next to the couch, hugging her knees as she studies Minji’s face. She loves watching Minji’s nose crinkles cutely in her sleep. With the orange light from the sun illuminating her, Minji looks so soft and small and all Bora wants is to protect her. Noticing Minji’s bangs have fallen over her eyes covering her forehead, Bora gently brushes it aside, taking a moment before lightly kissing her forehead. Minji stirs slightly, blinking a few times. “Bora? You've all done?” she asks before letting a yawn escape her lips.

Bora nods, “What do you want for dinner? I’ll order something for us…” she replies softly, Minji’s hair, the way she knows how Minji loves it.

Minji rubs her eyes sleepily, “Just order whatever you like…" Minji says before having another thought, "Wait, I want ice cream.”

“From Baskin-Robbins?”

Minji nods with her eyes closed. Bora giggles--yes, giggles like a schoolgirl--because Minji is just so adorable and she can't help but to lean forward and press another kiss on her lips before standing up. Minji hums at the kiss before falling asleep again. Bora takes her phone and opens a delivery app, ordering malatang and tteokbokki for their dinner and ice cream for Minji. Seeing she still has some time before their food arrives, Bora makes her way to the bathroom to take a quick shower, taking Minji's shirt with her because Minji's clothes are her favourite to wear.

(Even when her own clothes have already taken up almost half of Minji's closet)