endgame

Arcade

There's always the excitement whenever Yoohyeon goes to the arcade from games even up to the rides. Even when they are still at the gate, the others can see her bouncing up and down looking like a puppy who will go for a walk. 

 

"Will you stop doing that?" Bora said to Yoohyeon as they went towards the entrance where she almost trips because of her jumping.

 

"As if you can stop her from being all giddy, unnie." Handong as they lined up to buy tickets treated by the oldest, Minji who just got her paycheck from her work. 

 

"If there's something you can't stop Yoohyeon from being all hype, it's being in the arcade, with a free ticket." Siyeon butted in, enjoying the sight of Yoohyeon animatedly talking to Gahyeon who's also excited but not as much as Yoohyeon. 

 

Yubin who's just silently observing them decided to go to Yoohyeon before she can cause a scene in front of many people. She grabbed Yoohyeon's hoodie—which is too big despite her size, and pulled her towards her side so they are standing beside each other.

 

Yoohyeon looked at Yubin and she thinks that she needs to calm down if she doesn't want to go home early. And just like that, the excited puppy turned to a calm one, standing quietly beside Yubin who said nothing, but they still understand each other. 

 

Siyeon who is silently just looking at their maknaes, genuinely smiled. If there's someone who can calm Yoohyeon down, it's always Yubin—okay Minji can too, she has the power towards Yoohyeon, but with Yubin it's different, she can calm her down even without speaking. The reason behind that was still unknown in their group, but they don't mind because even without explanations, they know the two understood each other better than anyone—in their own words, soulmates.

 

"Okay, we need to split into three groups. It’s already near 1pm, we can meet at the café by 6pm then we can try the rides altogether before closing.” Minji instructed, giving out their tickets.

 

"I will go with Handong-unnie!" Gahyeon already made her way towards Handong who nodded at the others. 

 

"Ah, I want to go with Yoohyeon." Minji said, looking at Yoohyeon. 

 

"I want to go with her too!" Bora added, glaring at Minji. Yoohyeon looked at them slightly horrified and thinking what to do so she looked at Yubin who smirked at her, and with that she knew Yubin wouldn't save her this time. 

 

"Oh, would that mean I'm going with Yubin since there's already the three of you?" Siyeon raised her hand as if she's in a class to recite.

 

"Sorry unnie, I will go with Gahyeon and Handong-unnie. I want to spend my day in peace." Yubin walked towards the two.

 

I guess I need to decide on this one . Yoohyeon sighed

 

"But I don't want to go with Minji-unnie." Yoohyeon pouted trying to persuade Siyeon and she saw Bora smirking at Minji so she continued.

 

"Let alone being with Bora-unnie!" she added, earning a lot of ‘what’ and ‘why' from the two.

 

Going with Bora is already bad for her, she has this urge to just run whenever Bora is coming towards her, either for— a.) bothering her and teasing the hell out of her b.) wanting to kiss her or worst c.) wanting to kill her. She still wants to go home in one piece. 

 

But even with that, going with Minji is dangerous for her, not that Minji will bring harm. But the poor girl has been in love with her for so long. Her heart might take all the scary rides and she'll still want more, but her heart may not take it if she'll be alone with Minji.  

 

Blame her for being a panicked gay, but being alone with the girl you've been in love with, it's like the highest level in a game you always want to reach but having a hard time to claim. If it's only a game, maybe Yoohyeon can claim it, she always wins in games between their groups after all.

 

Seeing Yoohyeon in torn between their two unnies, Siyeon went to Bora and put her arms around her shoulder.

 

"Then, I'll take Bora-unnie with me. Minji-unnie can easily get scared with those rides, at least she's with someone who doesn't have a fear." Siyeon teased Minji which made the others laugh and Yoohyeon accepted her fate. I do have one fear though, and now she's going with me.

 

"I guess I'll be stuck with you then, unnie." Yoohyeon said, not clearly expecting Minji to run and cling to her.

 

"Okay now that it's decided. Let's start now!" Gahyeon excitedly said while waving the ticket in her hand. The others agreed and said their goodbyes but without leaving reminders to everyone.

 

"Just be careful okay! Gahyeon, I'm not worried about you since you're safe with the two. Bora, I know you will do crazy stuff but don't make Siyeon do something crazier, that kid is clumsy too. And that will leave me with this puppy. See you at 6!" Minji reminded everyone who nodded.

 

The arcade offers so many rides, food stalls and games in the corner. Yoohyeon forgot the internal crisis she felt a while ago because the excitement started to consume her again.

 

"Hey, would you like to eat first before we start?" Minji asked Yoohyeon.

 

"Sure, unnie. We can eat first, then try those machines in the corner before trying the rides. Unless you want your food to go to waste if we try the rides after eating." Yoohyeon faked gagging, making Minji hit her on the shoulder and laugh. Yoohyeon stopped for a moment to enjoy the sight who could outshine the sun itself. 

 

How can she be brighter than the sun, is that even possible? she questioned.

 

After they ate, they tried the games in the corner alternately going on rides. Obviously, Yoohyeon keeps on winning the games she started, even with competing with Minji. No one can beat her in their group after all. She always enjoyed watching the reactions of her friends whenever they are losing. 

 

Getting tired of all the games and rides they tried, Minji keeps on insisting for them to ride the Ferris wheel last and Yoohyeon just gave in when her unnie dragged her towards the entrance.

 

----

 

Once they are inside the passenger car, Minji immediately goes near the glass to observe the scenery, Yoohyeon follows behind her quietly. They just stared at the scenery, silence taking over them.

 

"Yooh?" Minji called her, not yet looking at her but at the view in front of them. She hummed signifying that she's listening.

 

"Actually I have two reasons why I want to go with you. First, being with someone who's not scared of these rides. I want to feel secured, and second, there's something I want to tell you." 

 

Thump... 

 

"I'll say this because I also want to feel secured because you're with me. And I've been meaning to ask you this." 

 

Thump... 

 

"Have you ever been in love?" 

 

Yoohyeon couldn't answer the question Minji asked her. She couldn't even understand what she's feeling. Different emotions have emerged while she's with Minji. 

 

Alone 

 

Inside the ferris wheel.

 

"U-uh, you don't need to answer it." Minji deeply sighed forming the words inside her head.

 

Yoohyeon just remained silent, thinking it's the best way for now as she waits to what Minji likes to say to her.

 

"It's just that, I feel so scared you know? I've been feeling different when I'm with this person. She makes me so comfortable.“ Yoohyeon’s brain started to remember the familiar words not too long ago.

 

“you know, you make me feel so comfortable.”

 

“She makes me feel like I deserve the world.”

 

“I don't know but you saying I deserve the world means so much to me.”

 

“She made me feel loved.” 

 

“Thank you for caring for me. I can feel all the love from all of you.” 

 

“-but i'm scared. I keep on thinking what she will say when she knows I feel something to her, more than just a friend . I'm scared to lose her, Yoohyeon-ah." Minji said looking straight at Yoohyeon now. As they stared at each other, Yoohyeon could visibly see all the emotions in Minji's eyes, fear, hope, sadness and love.

 

Thump... 

 

The way Minji looked at her wants her to say the words she's been hiding. The love she all saved because of the girl in front of her. She's willing to risk it all. She's a gamer, she shouldn't be afraid of moving forward.

 

"You don’t have to be scared, unnie. I’m sure you won’t lose her.” I’m sure of it . Yoohyeon smiled.

 

“Like what you said, she made you feel all of that. Do you think with just one confession, you will lose her? And the fact that she’s your friend, she can understand you. Because you know what? No one deserves to be alone, no one deserves to be hurt. And you, Minji unnie, never deserves all of that.” Yoohyeon explained, gathering courage as she removed some strands of hair on Minji’s face who’s looking at her. Listening to all the words she’s been saying.

 

“You deserve everything in this world, unnie. And I know, very much, that she knows it too. So don’t be scared, and she deserved to know your feelings too.” Yoohyeon finished and that’s when she witnessed Minji finally smiling at her, the smile she always loves as it radiates all the brightness in the world.

 

“You’re really something, aren’t you?” Minji looked at the sunset in front of them. The rays are reflecting on Minji’s face and Yoohyeon thinks how ethereal she looked.

 

“I may be dumb, but I know things too.” Yoohyeon answered.

 

“So…” Minji started.

 

“So?”

 

“I guess I need to confess, huh?” Minji said and there it is again, nervousness is creeping on Yoohyeon’s body and some unknown feeling she can’t name.

 

“Only if you’re ready, unnie. “ 

 

Minji stayed silent, choosing the right decision. Yoohyeon removed her gaze at her and decided to observe the view outside. She noticed they are near on the ground so in a few minutes they will look for the other members.

 

“Yoohyeon-ah…” Minji’s voice pulled her out of her thoughts and she went to look at Minji, meeting her gaze at her.

 

Thump… there is it again, the unknown feeling Yoohyeon can’t identify.

 

“Uh, yes unnie?” Yoohyeon answered.

 

“I decided that I will confess. I need to say what I’m feeling because I’m afraid it will consume me. What you said made me realize that I need to move forward if I don’t want to lose her without even trying. So yoohyeon, I need to tell you this because there’s no more time.” Minji said when she realized they are almost on the ground.

 

Yoohyeon holds her breath for what she’s about to hear. Her heart is beating really fast and she’s afraid if Minji can hear it with how close they are. And unexpected things happened, she’s suddenly hugged by Minji.

 

Her nervousness today is something she hadn’t felt for so long. The last time she felt it was during one of her games at the highest level, where she kept on losing.

 

“Yoohyeon, I don’t know what I’ll do without you. Thank you so much for making things clear to me. I hope you will still be with me until the end.” Minji said and Yoohyeon, despite her nervousness, went to encircle her arms around Minji’s waist.

 

“Tonight, I will tell Siyeon I’m in love with her.” Minji finished as she loosen the hug and looked at Yoohyeon, eyes showing confidence and determination.

 

She felt the same nervousness just like before and still she lose again…

 

Gathering all the will to keep her fine, she smiled back at Minji and hugged her, burying her head on Minji’s shoulder, who reciprocated the hug easily.

 

“I’m proud of you, unnie. I may know nothing about Siyeon’s side but I think you really deserve to achieve what you want, and you deserve each other.” Yoohyeon said, fighting the tears threatening to fall. 

 

I know nothing, but maybe now, all I know,

 

 All I know that loving you is a losing game

 

“Yooh? Are you crying?” Minji worriedly asked, not yet letting go of the hug.

 

“I couldn’t hide it from you, huh? Yes I am. I’m just really happy for you, you know? We’ve known each other for so long, and this is the time I’ve seen you so determined to achieve your happiness.” Yoohyeon admitted. It’s the truth, she’s really happy that Minji wants to achieve her dream, even if it’s not her.

 

“Thank you so much. That means so much to me, I’m so lucky to have you as my best friend and I will never let go of you.” Yoohyeon wanted to laugh, best friend. Hearing this, she decided to be the very best, best friend Minji ever had.

 

“I will always be here for you, too. Even if not as a gamer, you never lose. You always have your way to get what you want - but not today, unnie- I know you can succeed in everything, life goes on.” Yoohyeon let go of the hug and smiled at her. The door of the car opened as they landed, and Yoohyeon wanted to escape right now so she said something that is very Yoohyeon.

 

“Unnie, race you towards the café! The loser treats the winner to dinner.” Yoohyeon reasoned out and ran towards the café, leaving Minji behind completely unaware of the tears that escaped to Yoohyeon’s eyes when she turned around.

 

Yoohyeon never lose, but the one time she did, she never knew it would be this painful.

 

Yoohyeon never knew she would come to the point where losing makes her feel empty. 

 

Because loving you is a losing game and it made me feel empty. Yoohyeon thought.


 

----

 

After eating in the café and trying the rides altogether, they decided to go home already as it’s already late at night. Yoohyeon heard Minji talking to Siyeon if she’s free after this, where Siyeon answered that she’s free. Minji said goodbye to them, saying that she will go somewhere with Siyeon, not before winking at Yoohyeon who showed a fighting sign, wishing her a goodluck. 

 

When the rest got home (approximately an hour because Bora decided to do a roadtrip first), with Bora and Gahyeon racing towards the shower, Handong walked directly to their room, leaving Yubin and Yoohyeon in the living room.

 

“Did something happen?” Yubin asked, noticing how silent Yoohyeon was when they went home. Yoohyeon shook her head, scrolling on her phone absentmindedly.

 

“Don’t lie to me. I know you, Yoohyeon.” Yubin went towards her and sat beside her.

 

“I’m really fi-” Yoohyeon got interrupted when Bora went out of their room, incoherently shouting.

 

“Oh my god, they are dating! They are dating!” 

 

“Who?” Yubin asked, the other two went out of their room to see what’s happening.

 

“Minji and Siyeon! They are now dating.” Bora cheered.

 

Yoohyeon froze but she’s not that surprised already. The feeling she couldn’t understand a while ago became clear. She realized that Siyeon is in love with Minji, too. 

 

That one time when Minji felt so down and just slouched in their living room, she tried to go there to cheer her when suddenly she could hear voices, one was Minji and the other was certainly Siyeon. She just stopped in her tracks, slightly hiding herself to the two. She heard Siyeon say comforting words to Minji, the words she wanted to say too. The words that made Minji feel so loved and comfortable around her, Siyeon.

 

Yubin looked at her after hearing the news from Bora. She can see her trying to speak something but she beat her up to it. 

 

“They deserve each other, for real. Are they on their way back? Please congratulate them for me and Minji needs to treat me to dinner. I’m sleepy now, there’s too much energy we spent.” Yoohyeon lied which the others brought but not Yubin.

 

“That’s what you get for not exercising, you old tree. Sleep now, I’ll just make you breakfast tomorrow.” Bora said, patting her head.

 

Yoohyeon went to their room and immediately wrapped herself in the blanket. It’s a good thing she has to go somewhere tomorrow so she can escape being in their dorm for a while.


 

-----

 

Yoohyeon’s errands for the day are already done but she’s still not ready to go home. Deciding where to go, the only place she thought of is the secluded park not far from their dorm. When she reached the park, she went to the tree deciding to sit on it while facing the sunset. Being alone while admiring the sunset made her remember what Minji said yesterday.

 

“I will always be here for you, too. Even if not as a gamer, you never lose. You always have your way to get what you want. I know you can succeed in everything, life goes on.”

 

“Life goes on, huh? Isn't that the saddest part?” Yoohyeon thinks she’s crazy talking to herself. 

 

She’s just glad no one comes to this place or else they would think she’s gotten mad.

 

“Not when you have someone to rely on.” Yoohyeon was shocked from the sudden voice who answered and she felt a jacket being put around her.

 

“I know you love seeing the sunset, but you'll freeze to death if you don't have a jacket.”

 

“I didn't even notice that I forgot my jacket at home.” Yoohyeon answered, hugging the jacket close to her.

 

“Figured. That's why I came.” Yoohyeon can feel her sit beside her, not too far, not too close. Just enough to make her feel warm, enough to make her feel safe. 

 

“How did you know I’m here?” Yoohyeon asked, which the girl answered, “You said that this is your go-to place when you feel sad or not in the mood. When I saw that you’re still not home, I tried to look here and I got lucky.”

 

Silence took over after that, but it is just comfortable. Yoohyeon started to think about what the girl answered to her a while ago.

 

"Say, can you be that someone , Yubin?" Yoohyeon said, looking at the girl beside her, who's staring far away not clearly focusing on the sunset. 

 

"I've always been, haven't I?" Yubin nonchalantly answered.

 

"Yeah, and I'm thankful for that. But can you be with me until you get tired of me? Can you still be that someone when I gave up on everything? When I lose to something even if it is not a game?" Yoohyeon questioned, tears starting to form in her eyes and she can feel a lump in . Being alone is something she can't imagine she might feel, but it made her so scared, very scared.

 

"I can- no, I will. You don't have to face the reality alone, and you will never be alone. I'm here, always here for you. I will cling to you every time like a panda and you will regret asking me that." Yubin jokes, making Yoohyeon laugh and feel at ease with her words.

 

She scooted closer to Yubin, resting her head on the girl's shoulder. The warmth she felt is something she wouldn't trade. It's cozy, so comforting, it made her feel protected and safe. It feels like home. Yoohyeon thought.

 

As she started to close her eyes to rest for a bit. She can feel a weight above her and a kiss on her head with the words she always says to her friends, but not to herself.

 

"You don't have to be scared, Yooh. I will protect you from this world." 

 

and she drifted to her sleep with a smile on her face.

 

Maybe she lost in her current game, but at least she can still restart and begin something new.