-fin.

Burn Thy Love (Or…maybe not?)

The teachings say, “Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.” 


 

Kim Minjoo has always been an obedient kid – she doesn’t break rules, does her homework as soon as she arrives home, gets good grades at school, talks politely to everyone, regularly serves at Sunday worship, diligently follows her parents’ words, and has never stayed out past her curfew – she’s basically every mom’s ideal daughter.

 

Growing up in a Christian family – her father being the pastor of their congregation – Minjoo was raised into a prayerful child who never fails to show her unwavering love for the Lord. In her nineteen years of existence, she has never missed a single prayer meeting. Not when she’s busy with academic-related responsibilities, not when she’s sick, not when she broke her arm back in 5th grade, not even once – just never. 

Being lazy isn’t part of her vocabulary either – she would whole-heartedly argue that everything is worth it as long as she’s doing it for the almighty creator. In fact, she has industriously taught herself how to play the guitar over the years; so, she could help out at morning prayers, being an accompaniment as she earnestly sings her heart out. Afterall, St. Agustine has once said, “To sing is to pray twice.” 

 

Thus, her father – Pastor Kim – didn’t even bat an eye when he has learned that his beloved daughter is dating Ahn Yujin. Of course, his angelic precious Minjoo would love their neighbor – quite a lot too, like literally. Opposed to the common belief that religious people tend to be too traditional, Pastor Kim is such a person of character – instead of condemning their relationship, he actually finds them adorable. 

 

When Minjoo brought it up for the first time, his only reaction was, “You like girls? Good for you! I mean…who wouldn’t? Right?! I like girls too!” He even further reassures his child that it’s nothing to be concerned of – arm slightly raised, index finger pointing upwards, a gentle smile across his face – he kindly explains, “Up there, our man is very understanding. He loves us for who we are!” 

 

Clearly, Pastor Kim has no problem with his daughter’s preference – he has seen Yujin as his own child over the years anyway, what’s so wrong about the girl being his future daughter-in-law, right? That’s what brings them to this current discussion, he insists that Minjoo and Yujin should attend the annual couple retreat organized by their congregation. It’s nothing big, just a three-day camp at the mountains along with their other churchmates.

 

“Treat it as a vacation!” He exclaims, his hands clasped into a pleading gesture, trying his best to urge the kids to attend. 

 

“Wouldn’t it be too cold for camping though?” Yujin absent-mindedly asks, not really on board with the idea of going to the mountains in the middle of winter. Their friends – Yena and Chaewon – adamantly nod, neither of them being too fond of the thought of having to shiver in the middle of nowhere. Just the mere suggestion of withstanding the freezing temperature amidst bugs or whatever lies within the mountain scares them enough; both are saying silent prayers inside their heads, hoping that Pastor Kim would let them all off the hook. 

 

They are dying freshmen univ students on Christmas break, they don’t want to actually die while they are supposedly spending their much-awaited time off the inhumane workloads they'd normally get. Winter is cool, but death due to hypothermia doesn’t sound cool at all. Sure, they love the Lord, but that doesn’t mean they want to meet him any time soon. 

 

“It sounds fun!” Minjoo beams, her eyes lit up with excitement, which was immediately answered by glares from her friends – she could already imagine them complaining, “You love the Lord, we get it, but we’re still too young and too pretty to perish!” (The last part definitely sounds like something Chaewon would say.) 

 

Minjoo gulps, giving Yujin a pleading look – hopefully seeking help from her girlfriend – which the girl fortunately understood, so she tries to help.Hey, just because it’s a camp, doesn’t mean we’d be outdoors on tents or something!”

 

Not missing a beat, Pastor Kim corrects her, “Actually, it is-”

 

The four girls – yes, including her very own daughter, Minjoo – incredulously look at him as if he had just given them a death sentence, so he doesn’t continue his joke. He clears his throat, “Or not…Just kidding. Of course, there’s lodging up there…” Relief washes over Minjoo’s face – her enthusiasm for the camp is back – but the other girls’ don’t seem to be too convinced, so Pastor Kim throws another bait, “With heater! Really good food too!” 

 

Well, Minjoo wants to go, it’s not like Yujin could ever say no to her – and as for Chaewon and Yena, of course, Pastor Kim got them at the mention of ‘food.’ 


 

--

 

Unsurprisingly, it’s indeed freezing! 

 

A white thin blanket of snow covers every inch of the mountain, the cold temperature posing a bit of hindrance to them as they trail up to their designated lodging. As the sun slowly fades into darkness, the wind begins to blow harder – making them clutch on their thick padded jackets – an attempt at saving themselves from the wrath of the weather. 

 

As they take-in the breath-taking view and the well-lit path leading towards the lodgings, they momentarily forget the chilling air. They have to admit, it’s not that bad. No. As a matter of fact, it’s actually really nice – cozy looking cabins are scattered, the ones people would usually see on HGTV channel – and as they walk closer, their other churchmates cheerfully greet them, warmly welcoming them as they briefly stop from preparing what appears to be a bonfire and other materials to be used for grilling meat. 

 

Pastor Kim instructs the girls to settle in with their assigned cabin first, taking a much-needed rest for a bit – Minjoo accepts the key and they proceed, not forgetting to take a couple of pictures along the way. Impressed by the rustic interior design of the cabin, not that spacious, just enough to accommodate four people, with big windows to showcase the gorgeous outdoor view – not that they could see it though – the sun has already disappeared from the horizon, but they just know it would look beautiful once they wake up to it in the morning. 

 

Yena – despite being reluctant about going on the trip at first – excitedly plumps down the sofa. Thrilled by how the camp is going, she suggests out of nowhere, “A camping wouldn’t be complete without a good ol’ spirit of the glass!” 

 

Chaewon thinks it’s childish and teases Yena for it, but Minjoo seems to be on board with the idea – just as excited, if not more. Scratch that, she’s definitely hyped for it – a bit too much than one would consider normal, but it’s not like anyone would care anyway. The other girls watch as Minjoo immediately rummages her stuff, seemingly looking for something. 

 

She bubbly yelps, “found it,” as she brings out a marker – haphazardly making a poorly drawn OUIJA board on the back of the brochure given to them upon their arrival at the camp. Yujin stops, softly whining, “Ya, what if there’s a pretty ghost and you choose her over me?!”  

 

The youngest out of the bunch pretends to sulk – being accustomed with her girlfriend’s antics, Minjoo simply laughs. She not-so-secretly finds it cute; so, she moves closer to Yujin and pinches her cheeks. Both of her hands, still fiddling with the girl’s face, Minjoo playfully asks, “Awwwy, is Yujinnie being jealous?” 

 

Yujin pouts, quickly nodding. Minjoo softly squishes her cheeks again, cheesy remarks unconsciously slip out, “What for? I’d choose you over any beautiful ghost. I like you most.” 

 

Biting back a smile, Yujin follows up with a light-hearted joke, “As much as you love the Lord?”

 

“Eyyy. I love you, not as much as I love the Lord, but you get it.” Minjoo softly coos and snuggles towards the younger girl’s side – resting her head on her shoulder. With an affectionate smile painted across her lips, Yujin responds, “I know. I love you too.” 

 

Chaewon purposely clears – a bit too loud to be considered natural – of course it’s not, but it’s enough to take the couple out of their trance. She deadpans, “Should we just leave?” 

 

“Yes. Please leave,” Without missing a beat, Yujin quips – childishly sticking her tongue out to annoy her friends more. She even adds, “Not my fault that y’all are useless gays.” 

 

Looking betrayed, Yena dramatically exclaims, “RESPECT THE SINGLE COMMUNITY!” 

 

“This is a couples’ retreat though, why did you two even tag along?” Minjoo queries, genuinely confused – unless their friends are actually dating each other – but by the looks of it, probably nope. Just nope. 

 

Yena still being dramatic as ever, her voice also as loud as ever – interjects, “No one said a couple of besties can’t attend! And it’s free! The food is really good too!” Chaewon nods repeatedly, very proud of the duck-like girl’s explanation. In their defense, everyone loves free stuff. What more if it’s delicious food and top-notch accommodation, right? Totally valid. It’s okay to be single as long as there’s a lot of food to enjoy! 

 

Yujin simply ignores their friend and goes back to what they’re supposed to be talking about anyway, “We don’t have a glass though? And this OUIJA board? Or...sheet? It’s small.” 

 

Minjoo pauses to think, looking around the cabin – her eyes lit up when she caught a glimpse of her half-filled water bottle on the table. She quickly drinks the remaining liquid, taking off the lid. She happily beams, “We can improvise! Ghost-ssi would understand! I think!” 

 

It elicits a mixture of reaction from the girls – Chaewon just facepalming, Yena just excited without actually understanding anything, and Yujin…well, she’s Yujin. Hopelessly in love, so instead of noting how bizarre – nonsense, actually – the idea is, she simply thinks Minjoo is brilliant for being resourceful. Nonetheless, they all sit at the floor, the impromptu OUIJA board at the center, their index fingers atop the bottle cap.

 

“Spirit of the bottle cap, are you with us?” Minjoo asks, closing her eyes as she waits for any response. She ushers her friends to do the same, and maybe out of curiosity, boredom or what, they just follow through.

 

“SPIRIT OF THE BOTTLE CAP, ARE YOU WITH US?”

 

Spoiler alert: Nothing happened. 

 

They open their eyes, almost everyone not surprised with the result. (Or lack thereof.) Except Minjoo, she finds it quite disappointing – yeah, she genuinely thought it would work somehow. Before Yujin could even say anything to comfort the girl, Yena proudly raises another suggestion that could potentially make it work. “Maybe we need candles!” 

 

As if on cue, Minjoo remembers something. Right, of course she forgot about the candles, so it didn’t work. That’s it! As weird as it sounds, she’s luckily prepared for the possibility of them contacting spirits. She takes out five candles – a white, a pink, and four purple – from her baggage. Her friends watch her in amusement and confusion, Minjoo forgot to bring a glass, but she has candles? Wait…are those lent candles??? Did Minjoo really just take lent candles with her?! 

 

“Did you steal those from the advent wreath back on our church?!” Chaewon accusingly asks, stressed out with her friends’ shenanigans. This reminds her why she shouldn’t spend too much time with Yena – yeah, it’s definitely the duck’s fault. When in doubt, just blame Choi Yena. 

 

“Stealing is bad! I just…borrowed them for a bit.” Of course, Minjoo quickly denies it. Yujin is still her usual self – instead of realizing how absurd it is, she’s amazed – thinking, “Oh, she’s really prepared at all times!” 

 

Yena, being supportive as always, volunteers to turn off the lights. Chaewon who’s sitting beside Minjoo, decides to just get it over with – she assists Minjoo at lighting up the candles with the help of her phone’s flashlight. No one knows how it exactly happened, but a burnt smell permeates the air. At first Chaewon ignores it, thinking that it’s just the candle they’ve lit, but something feels off…terribly off.

 

All her friends looking at her – mouth agape, eyes looking like they’d bulge out of their sockets – wait, they aren’t looking at her…but at her hair?! Horrified, she looks down and it confirms how terribly off it is indeed. Oh, clumsy Kim Minjoo, of course she has accidentally lit Chaewon’s hair. None of the candles’ wick are burning, but Chaewon’s hair is definitely burning. Her hair is on fire! Literally! 

 

“YAAA! WATERRR!!!! HELP!!!!” Chaewon screams for help, panic washing all over her body. Minjoo quickly picks up her water bottle, but of course, it’s empty – she drank all the water earlier to prevent the likeliness of her clumsily spilling its content on the floor. Kim Minjoo, so much for trying not to be clumsy! 

 

The other girls panicking just as much as Chaewon is – abruptly standing up, tripping over each other in the dark. Luckily and oddly enough, Yujin seems to regain her composure, running to turn on the light. Yena being a mess, she offers the holy water oh-so-conveniently placed across the room. Minjoo glares at her, a reminder that they shouldn’t – yeah, almost forgetting that there are also other matters at hand. For example, Chaewon’s burning hair. 

 

Yujin – being the only one still functioning (sort of) properly – rushes off to get her hydro flask and passes it to Yena. Oh-so-smart Yena who splashes the water on Chaewon’s face instead of her hair, if the girl’s hair isn’t burning, she’d surely give Yena a punch or two. Fortunately, she remembers some of the things she has read on the internet about what-to-do-when-you're-burning-for-who-knows-whatever-reason-may-it-be.

 

Stop, drop, and roll.

 

Aftermath of the chaos: More than half of Chaewon’s hair is deemed hopeless, irreparable, dead – it’s just…ya know, beyond saving. 

 

Poor Chaewon laments over her hair, but is very much glad that she managed to stop it before it reaches her scalp. That doesn’t mean she isn’t crying over her beloved long hair though, she cries, “Oh no, Michelle!!!”

 

Her friends look weirdly at her, except Yena who knows that their friend fondly calls her hair, Michelle.’ She lowers herself on the floor, giving Chaewon a sympathetic tap on the shoulder – an attempt to console the girl – which doesn't end up peacefully when Chaewon suddenly remembers that Yena had splashed water on her face earlier. Moreover, if Yena didn’t turn off the lights, the accident wouldn’t have happened. Michelle would have still been alive!

 

Her eyes b with tears, she accusingly screams at Yena, “Choi Yena, you’ve killed Michelle! You murderer!!!!!”

 

Before another chaos happens, in other words, Chaewon realizing that it was in fact Minjoo who accidentally lit her hair – killing her beloved Michelle – Yujin escapes, dragging along Minjoo, the perpetrator out of their cabin. 

 

They run until they are far enough to not hear the chaos unfolding back in their cabin, away from a fuming Chaewon. They’d surely pray for Yena’s soul, may she survive their friend’s wrath. 

 

Tired from all the running, the couple gasp for air, but they couldn’t stop themselves from laughing out loud with what just happened. In between fits of laughter, Yujin asks, “So...enjoying the camp so far?” 

 

As unintentional as always, Minjoo answers with another cheesy line, “I enjoy it as long as I’m with you.”

 

“Why are you being like this?!” Yujin complains, trying to contain the blush that’s been creeping up her face. Minjoo just stares cluelessly at her, unsure whether she has said something weird. 

 

Unable to stop herself, Yujin briefly kisses Minjoo’s cheek. A much-needed payback, it’s the older girl’s turn to blush furiously now – cheeks tinted with pink all the way to her ears – and no, the cold temperature of the night certainly has nothing to do with it. 

 

Flustered, Minjoo scolds her girlfriend, “Yaa! The Lord is watching!” Yujin simply chuckles, so Minjoo continues – pointing at their churchmates not too far from them, gathered around the bonfire. “And there are other people too!” 

 

“So? I don’t remember reading any verse that prohibits cheek kisses!” Yujin counters, trying to outsmart Minjoo. 

 

“Alright…fair enough,” Minjoo gives in and just laughs it off. 

 

With their hands intertwined, they continue walking – cold air against their faces, blowing through strands of their hair, but they don’t mind it that much – definitely not when gentle smiles linger across their lips. The silence doesn’t last long though, Yujin playfully nudging Minjoo’s shoulder. And somewhere along the way, they end up having an impromptu snow-ball fight.

 

Yeah, completely forgetting that their cabin is probably a complete mess by now – courtesy of their friends, of course. They should all make a pact later about never trying the spirit of the glass, bottle cap, saucer, bowl, plate or whatsoever again. Sure, the accident was technically Minjoo’s fault, but maybe no more burning stuff. Any chaos would be welcomed as long as there’s no accidental burning involved again. 

 

Right, may Chaewon not end up accidentally burning Yena as payback for Michelle’s death. 


 

Hopefully.

 

 

--